Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

25 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

We already have trouble containing teams who run at us with pace. Wouldn't we be asking for trouble having another player as slow as Enzo?

No evidence that he's slow but even if there was, his football brain and feet are super fast. 

Did you dislike Cesc throughout his career too?

• Agree 1

Just now, ROTG said:

Look who Cesc had around him for 95% of his career. 

Look who Enzo had around him during the WC

Not sure what point you're trying to make about either player. 

Both clearly elite level. 

11 minutes ago, Ham said:

No evidence that he's slow but even if there was, his football brain and feet are super fast. 

Did you dislike Cesc throughout his career too?

Xcelery mentioned his lack of pace and that's why I picked up on it.

Cesc was great. His creativity and wonderful passing made up for his lack of pace. Enzo has yet to show he can do the same damage to the opponent's  to make up for his lack of pace.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

Xcelery mentioned his lack of pace and that's why I picked up on it.

Cesc was great. His creativity and wonderful passing made up for his lack of pace. Enzo has yet to show he can do the same damage to the opponent's  to make up for his lack of pace.

Fair enough.  The early signs are very good. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, ROTG said:

Another whipping for an academy player, One hopes he proves you wrong. "and yes i will be rubbing it in and you are more than welcome to do vice versa should he not be a regular starter"

It's possible that the success rate (at the top level) for academy players is pretty slim. For every Reece James there will be loads who are good, but not great. It's to be expected imo.

Gallagher is a good player. Would I be concerned if he was in the City, Liverpool, Man U or Arsenal teams to face us though? No.

7 minutes ago, ChelseaJambo said:

It's possible that the success rate (at the top level) for academy players is pretty slim. For every Reece James there will be loads who are good, but not great. It's to be expected imo.

Gallagher is a good player. Would I be concerned if he was in the City, Liverpool, Man U or Arsenal teams to face us though? No.

Agreed. The academy does an amazing job of setting kids up for football careers at the very highest level, whether that be at Chelsea or elsewhere.  Has since Cobham was built.  

• Agree 2

42 minutes ago, Ham said:

Not sure what point you're trying to make about either player. 

Both clearly elite level. 

Both had elite players in the midfield to support them

Edited by ROTG

15 minutes ago, ChelseaJambo said:

I guess you have the same opinion of MM?

1 hour ago, Lump Of Celery said:

So he was available to other teams for £50m and no player on loan. But we paid £63m and sent them a talented player on loan? Certainly sounds bonkers to me...usually teams pay us to take players on loan, not the other way round

We didn't "send them" a talented player on loan in the normal sense, it was a seperate deal that allowed for compromise and us to retain Colwill on a permanent basis. Again, would you have preferred for us to have sold him to Brighton instead like they originally wanted? It wasn't as if our original  offer to Brighton was £60m and Colwill on loan. 

1 hour ago, Lump Of Celery said:

Regarding all of your last paragraph, I wasn't complaining about the players signed (that is easywith hindsight) but specifically the fees paid. Every team got every penny of the fee they wanted, in the summer arguably they had us over a barrel, but come January again we paid the full aksing prices for Enzo, Noni, Mudryk etc. We even paid more than the release fees in some cases to pay in instalments (a trick we repeated this summer to sign Jackson) On top of those we paid £12m to sign Felix on loan for 6 months, and the deal for Lukaku's loan was just an embarrassment. Let's not even get started on the amount paid to hire Graham Potter and his staff.

This summer I'm not sure if the Saudi deals were luck or skill, and IMO they got a good fee for Havertz, all other deals so far have been at par. I'm expecting to see some improvement on last years negotiations.

There was again purpose to the prices we paid. The summer we were pressed for time because we had a delayed start to the transfer window due the ownership situation, then needing to immediately find replacements for some key players that left who were of a similar standard that could aid retaining the level we were at. We paid some premium prices, but the alternative at the time looked grimmer. 

January was different again, we paid a premium for Enzo because of where we were by that point in the season. Had we waited until the summer we'd have stood zero chance and he'd be off joining someone else. Arsenal wanted Mudryk and set the original price, this gets massively overlooked because we're the ones that eventually swooped in. While the media love to quote the full potential cost, a large portion of which hinges on performance base bonuses, rather than the actual guaranteed cost. Not to say it wasn't expensive, and you can argue whether he was worth it or not, but that was the market price before we had even gotten involved. Madueke's fee is a moderate one in this day and age, and had been drawing interest from other clubs including Man Utd who we had turned down.

Lukaku is a sore point but that's because it was a mess of a situation Boehly and co were left with courtesy of Roman. Not a whole lot we could do here, we just don't have much in the way of leverage. Joao Felix I said was an overpay at the time, so no qualms with that. 

All in all a tricky summer where mistakes were made thanks to the ability to apply hindsight. January a clearer approached laid out and executed, even if it meant paying a little extra in certain cases to take up opportunities that likely wouldn't have been there this summer had we waited. And now we've undertaken the sort of revamp that needed beginning after we won the Champions League.

I think there's been good and bad points far, but one thing I do know is that I'm a lot more confident in the direction we've taken since January. You may not be, and that's fine, each to their own. 

Edited by xceleryx
Fixed a couple of typos.
  • Agree 2

8 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Well when you team him with Donald  and Goofy you do have a midfield three to reckon with

Absolutely, and would more than likely play the current Chelsea midfield of the park

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ROTG said:

Another whipping for an academy player, One hopes he proves you wrong. "and yes i will be rubbing it in and you are more than welcome to do vice versa should he not be a regular starter"

You really are a patronising piece of work. 

Troll elsewhere.

1 hour ago, boratsbrother said:

We already have trouble containing teams who run at us with pace. Wouldn't we be asking for trouble having another player as slow as Enzo?

In the heart of midfield, yes. Not quite so much higher up the pitch which is where Cherki plays, as long as the other surrounding players have some speed of course. 

1 hour ago, ROTG said:

Mr Door,

you may well be right about the middle ground, however it will put more pressure on moving on the high earners / stars due to lack of income.

One would assume the ground redevelopment is past the 2030 project team Chelsea date?

Regards Mischievous  

ROTG 

Dear Mr Gizmo,

Thank you for your message. It is always good to hear from you.

I would suggest that you enjoy the journey for this season and then we’ll see what happens. 

With all good wishes.

C_M

14 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

You really are a patronising piece of work. 

Troll elsewhere.

It would help you case if you would write something tangible rather than chapter and verse on an ideology which seems to evolve around removing everything to do with RA and the success of the club, for a bold new world of buying anyone who looks good on a fifa playstation or  youtube

You don't win anything with kids, look at the likes of Dipper, ManUre, The Arse on how long it takes/ taking  them to become successful when an owner has an epiphany to reinvent the wheel.

Some of us on here might well be pushing up the daisies before success comes to project 2030

Edited by ROTG

3 minutes ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

Dear Mr Gizmo,

Thank you for your message. It is always good to hear from you.

I would suggest that you enjoy the journey for this season and then we’ll see what happens. 

With all good wishes.

C_M

Dear Mr Door,

I will enjoy the season regardless

KTBFF

ROTG

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, ROTG said:

Some of us on here might well be pushing up the daisies before success comes to project 2030

Live scenes whilst reading that comment..... Genuinely laughed out loud.  Sorry, just innocent gallows humour 😂👍

20230712_142643.thumb.jpg.f8c65faeab8aa60d718eed4c685d6514.jpg

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ham said:

Live scenes whilst reading that comment..... Genuinely laughed out loud.  Sorry, just innocent gallows humour 😂👍

20230712_142643.thumb.jpg.f8c65faeab8aa60d718eed4c685d6514.jpg

Hope you are ok, Ham.

The stress of the forum not driven you to hospital?

• Haha 2

Just now, paulw66 said:

Hope you are ok, Ham.

The stress of the forum not driven you to hospital?

Doing ok thanks Paul.  

Stats will show that I post a lot through boredom every third Wednesday.  3 to go.  

11 hour sessions unfortunately thanks to anaphylactic shock during session 1.  Normally 2 hours.