Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

37 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

Absolutely not, I think he is a busted flush. We are, however desperately short of numbers and experience, he would offer both. It may be that he isn't that bothered about playing minutes, being part of a set up under Pochettino may be more important to him than playing for Everton or Besiktas, he wouldn't be any worse than some of what we saw last season either and who knows if Pochettino could get him anywhere near what he once was he could be a useful squad player, although I doubt that.

But some things are more important, if we could give him a purpose and help him get through what he is going through I would be very happy with the club. It's incredibly brave what he has done, opening up like he has and for all our faults as a fan base, at times, I could actually see the vast majority of us really getting behind him.

I'm not sure it's a coincidence that a few days before his interview Pochettino said he wanted to contact him and try to help him, almost like the club is sowing the seeds........

Yeah I saw that. And I’m not being nasty and I really do wish him well…but we are a football club not a mental health charity. 

2 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

Who are we going to upgrade Kepa with then , considering Onana is going for 50m plus 5m add on?

Not sure, I don't watch a lot of football outside of the PL and Chelsea in all honesty.  So in terms of the PL, there's probably more I don't rate i.e. Meslier, Raya, Lloris, DDG etc; some that are clearly unobtainable (and I'd include Nick Pope in that), but I think Emi Martinez would be an upgrade, and I'd be taking a close look at Stefan Ortega and Dean Henderson.  Further afield, I would be looking at an older keeper with experience and elite level ability - for example, Oblak, Ter Stegan, Neuer etc.   That then creates a pathway for Slonina or A N Other in a few years.  

2 hours ago, martin1905 said:

I don't think Jackson or Broja would be as bad as Havertz. I'm pretty confident if they played all 38 games between them next season they would score more than the 7 goals Havertz managed. I reckon any half decent striker would score more than 32 goals in 139 games, but in fairness to him he's clearly not a striker. 

Agree with you but I guess it's about expectations.  For me, I'm trying to see last year as a complete blip and feel like we should set our sights high.  We have very ambitious owners, we have recruited an array of (apparently) talented scouts / sporting directors, we've just hired a top manager and have had almost an open cheque book until now.   Beating Havertz 7 goals is not to be celebrated and I don't think we should 'make do' at key ends of the pitch.  Particularly as Man City aside, the opposition really aren't all that currently.  Man United, Liverpool, Tottenham and Newcastle are all building.

In our two most successful teams of recent times we had a core of Cech, Terry, Cole, Lampard, Drogba etc and then Courtois, Terry, Fabregas, Kante, Hazard, Costa etc.  Top, top quality throughout each area of the pitch, and that should be the aspiration. 

If we can get our next Cech/Courtois and Drogba/Costa we really could be quite dangerous under Poch. 

4 minutes ago, Rob B said:

Not sure, I don't watch a lot of football outside of the PL and Chelsea in all honesty.  So in terms of the PL, there's probably more I don't rate i.e. Meslier, Raya, Lloris, DDG etc; some that are clearly unobtainable (and I'd include Nick Pope in that), but I think Emi Martinez would be an upgrade, and I'd be taking a close look at Stefan Ortega and Dean Henderson.  Further afield, I would be looking at an older keeper with experience and elite level ability - for example, Oblak, Ter Stegan, Neuer etc.   That then creates a pathway for Slonina or A N Other in a few years.  

Agree with you but I guess it's about expectations.  For me, I'm trying to see last year as a complete blip and feel like we should set our sights high.  We have very ambitious owners, we have recruited an array of (apparently) talented scouts / sporting directors, we've just hired a top manager and have had almost an open cheque book until now.   Beating Havertz 7 goals is not to be celebrated and I don't think we should 'make do' at key ends of the pitch.  Particularly as Man City aside, the opposition really aren't all that currently.  Man United, Liverpool, Tottenham and Newcastle are all building.

In our two most successful teams of recent times we had a core of Cech, Terry, Cole, Lampard, Drogba etc and then Courtois, Terry, Fabregas, Kante, Hazard, Costa etc.  Top, top quality throughout each area of the pitch, and that should be the aspiration. 

If we can get our next Cech/Courtois and Drogba/Costa we really could be quite dangerous under Poch. 

I'd definitely take Martinez I was imploring us to sign him when Arsenal were selling but I think Villa will want a kings ransom for him 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Morgs said:

Linked to Neymar again I see. 

Please God no. The most overrated player I have ever seen in my life. If he played for us he would last ten minutes before some premier league clogger decides to make a name for himself and kicks him up in the air. Would spend 87% of his time in a Chelsea shirt on the ground screaming like a 6 year old, doing triple pike rolls appealing vainly for fouls he hasn't got a prayer of getting. The other 13% walking around in the centre circle hoping someone passes it to him while we concede another goal.  His entourage would upset the club, the circus would derail the cub and 100% ensure Mudryk never succeeds at Chelsea.  

What does he do? Absolute dross. Disruptive, dangerous and divisive dross at that. And expensive dross. 

The media would absolutely torture him if he played for us.  I'd be absolutely mortified if we signed him. Catastrophic. 

Luckily, I cant see it. 

I couldn't agree more about this!

However, if we can't get rid o Lukaku, it might be fun to see Neymar's reaction when the great big barrel of lard  stands there over and over again  pointing to where he wants Neymar to put the ball.🤯

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

I wouldn't touch him either , not good enough , stats are padded with penalties. He only looks good to Chelsea because unlike our players he has actually scored before.

He's a perfectly decent mid-table level striker but will never be more than that.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, martin1905 said:

Curious as to who you, and others that share your view on Kepa, would replace him with......

It always comes back to this.

Upgradable..of course...overpriced..absolutely.... BUT not the problem last season.

As I said before...the result of Chelsea grooming and guiding a brilliant replacement for PC only to have him bail out with a finger in the air.... (deja vu with Mount to a close degree.)

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

I couldn't agree more about this!

However, if we can't get rid o Lukaku, it might be fun to see Neymar's reaction when the great big barrel of lard  stands there over and over again  pointing to where he wants Neymar to put the ball.🤯

“…great big barrel of lard…” 🤣

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Morgs said:

Linked to Neymar again I see. 

I’ve got a feeling the Board are itching to spend all that incoming transfer money on a statement signing. I really hope it’s not Neymar. But the Board have been way too sensible this window and I wouldn’t put it past them to do something daft. 

6 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Also lots of noise with Dele Alli. I would not be surprised to see him join us at some stage. 

Poor lad, he had so much promise and look where he is now. It’s been a spectacular fall. 

God no. 👎 

• Agree 1

Lukaku update….

The Lukaku case becomes a real intrigue. Inter have been in contact with Chelsea and Romelu Lukaku 's entourage for several weeks to try and bring the Belgian back to Milan. Today the nerazzurri would be ready to close with Chelsea. However, despite the attacker having repeatedly reiterated his willingness to stay at Inter, his behavior in recent days has deeply disappointed the Nerazzurri club.

At the moment Inter are very embittered and annoyed by Lukaku's attitude , who is not responding to either the managers or former teammates. Furthermore, the Nerazzurri discovered an opening to Juventus from the forward, despite the fact that he had previously declared that he would never wear the black and white shirt.

Inter is ready to offer Chelsea 35 million plus 5 bonuses , but they discovered that Juventus offered the same amount on Wednesday: 37.5 + 2.5 bonuses . However, the Bianconeri's offer is conditioned by the sale of Vlahovic by August 4th. Chelsea, on the other hand, would prefer to sell Lukaku in a short time. However, it is precisely the attacker's behavior that is holding back Inter.

https://gianlucadimarzio.com/it/inter-lukaku-juventus-calciomercato-news-14-luglio-2023

5 minutes ago, Original 21 said:

Lukaku update….

The Lukaku case becomes a real intrigue. Inter have been in contact with Chelsea and Romelu Lukaku 's entourage for several weeks to try and bring the Belgian back to Milan. Today the nerazzurri would be ready to close with Chelsea. However, despite the attacker having repeatedly reiterated his willingness to stay at Inter, his behavior in recent days has deeply disappointed the Nerazzurri club.

At the moment Inter are very embittered and annoyed by Lukaku's attitude , who is not responding to either the managers or former teammates. Furthermore, the Nerazzurri discovered an opening to Juventus from the forward, despite the fact that he had previously declared that he would never wear the black and white shirt.

Inter is ready to offer Chelsea 35 million plus 5 bonuses , but they discovered that Juventus offered the same amount on Wednesday: 37.5 + 2.5 bonuses . However, the Bianconeri's offer is conditioned by the sale of Vlahovic by August 4th. Chelsea, on the other hand, would prefer to sell Lukaku in a short time. However, it is precisely the attacker's behavior that is holding back Inter.

https://gianlucadimarzio.com/it/inter-lukaku-juventus-calciomercato-news-14-luglio-2023

If, and with any rumor it's a BIG IF, there is any truth to this then one can assume we are not interested in Vlahovic, or at least not at the price Juventus want for him.

4 hours ago, Original 21 said:

Lukaku update….

Haha, you couldn't make it up(if true).It's becoming clear he is a narcissist that thinks he's Pele but has the skill set on a par with Duncan Ferguson...Sorry Duncan!.

9 hours ago, RDCW said:

I thought, "Who are these 'Neanderthals' of whom Bob is so heartily sick and tired?" 

I think the insinuation was levelled  at me on one occasion.If it wasn't so serious and so ridiculous(given my history)I could have laughed.

Don't be too harsh on Robert, it could be a cry for help(and I'm not trying to be funny).

11 hours ago, martin1905 said:

I would take him, if it would help him. I have struggled massively with mental health problems over the last few years. I used to be one of those that never talked, never cried and would just tell people to 'man up' but have been through a lot since a very young age, my uncle died when I was 8, a year later my parents split up, my brother was a drug addict and died at 19 when I was 15, lots more in-between then and now but the last few years have been savage and I hit rock bottom and I mean rock bottom, like not wanting to be around any more.

Sorry to hear that Martin I can certainly empathise.''Roll with the punches"  - ''you dwell too much on it''   - ''there's people worse off than you'' - ''think how lucky you are''....all well intended  comments in the "real world" but as much use as a plaster on a severed artery.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

we are a football club not a mental health charity. 

Maybe not a "mental health charity" but a charity  none the less.

Who else would have forked out the stupid money on duds.... except the Saudis😉

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

Who are we going to upgrade Kepa with then , considering Onana is going for 50m plus 5m add on?

There are plenty of better keepers out there but not vast amounts better that would justify the outlay when we have more pressing concerns , we still haven't signed a proper holding midfielder yet or a stand out centre forward as you mention above.

Kepa has at times been awful , he has a mistake in him but last season he was very good when , as Martin says , the chips were 

Some take the piss of his physicality(banter most of the time)but he is 6'1" the same as Carlo Cudicini whom was one of the best keepers we ever had.

People seem to think you have to be 7 feet tall with arms the length of a orangutan to succeed in the premiership.

11 hours ago, Rob B said:

Emi Martinez is a really solid keeper but he's not that much of an upgrade if you compare their numbers. And yes, numbers aren't everything but they do provide some crucial information at times. Looking at last season they're virtually neck and neck, the only big advantage Emi Martinez as is his cross collecting. He stopped 12.4% of them compared to Kepa's 4.5% across around 150 more crosses faced. While Kepa holds a slight edge as a passer. This goes back to what many have said already, but for the money likely needed to make such a signing the improvement in performance output is minimal. 

Henderson is a backwards step, and Ortega hasn't a big enough sample sizer given his backup situation at Man City. And there's virtually no reality where Oblak, Ted Stegan, or Neuer ever become possibilities beyond their sell-by dates at this stage. By then we'd likely already be hoping Slonina would've shown enough to push for a place.