Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

1 hour ago, xceleryx said:

Emi Martinez is a really solid keeper but he's not that much of an upgrade if you compare their numbers. And yes, numbers aren't everything but they do provide some crucial information at times. Looking at last season they're virtually neck and neck, the only big advantage Emi Martinez as is his cross collecting. He stopped 12.4% of them compared to Kepa's 4.5% across around 150 more crosses faced. While Kepa holds a slight edge as a passer. This goes back to what many have said already, but for the money likely needed to make such a signing the improvement in performance output is minimal. 

Henderson is a backwards step, and Ortega hasn't a big enough sample sizer given his backup situation at Man City. And there's virtually no reality where Oblak, Ted Stegan, or Neuer ever become possibilities beyond their sell-by dates at this stage. By then we'd likely already be hoping Slonina would've shown enough to push for a place. 

I think Martinez is quite an upgrade, regardless of any stats. I would be happy enough to take him at a decent price. although I would have some caution as I think he thinks he is better than he is. It also wouldn’t be a decent price and likely £50 million plus. 
The lad at Wolves is a very good shot stopper. He is not as good with the ball at his feet as Kepa, but he is a much better shot stopper. 

I can’t buy into this new theory that quite a few have, that we cannot upgrade Kepa without spending huge money on unobtainable players.

The Dortmund keeper we played against last season was very good. No idea of his contract situation and likely fee.  Meslier has looked a  good young keeper, until some poor errors last season. He would be a risk, but worthy of being looked at closer. 

33 minutes ago, Thiago97 said:

I think Martinez is quite an upgrade, regardless of any stats. I would be happy enough to take him at a decent price. although I would have some caution as I think he thinks he is better than he is. It also wouldn’t be a decent price and likely £50 million plus. 
The lad at Wolves is a very good shot stopper. He is not as good with the ball at his feet as Kepa, but he is a much better shot stopper. 

I can’t buy into this new theory that quite a few have, that we cannot upgrade Kepa without spending huge money on unobtainable players.

The Dortmund keeper we played against last season was very good. No idea of his contract situation and likely fee.  Meslier has looked a  good young keeper, until some poor errors last season. He would be a risk, but worthy of being looked at closer. 

It's a red herring. Mendy was signed for 20m and we went on to finish 3rd and win the Champions League with him in goal, something that would have been impossible with Kepa in goal. 

I'm sure there are a number for affordable keepers out there that would represent a huge upragde on Kepa but we're led to believe otherwise for whatever reason.

Anyway, two more years of this nonsense and we'll be free. Good luck to Poch.

Edited by Bison
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

18 hours ago, RDCW said:

You should be bothered that it's dull, otherwise why bother posting old bean?

I post for debate to ensuring the forum does not turn into a done dimensional, 1984 we all agree forum - Boyo. 

I believe there is an ignore button for you to use. 

18 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Also lots of noise with Dele Alli. I would not be surprised to see him join us at some stage. 

Poor lad, he had so much promise and look where he is now. It’s been a spectacular fall. 

He can be the clubs new Ross Barkley 

coat time 😀

14 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

I'd definitely take Martinez I was imploring us to sign him when Arsenal were selling but I think Villa will want a kings ransom for him 

Sorry Fat Bloater who Arse could not weight to get out of the door.  “Sorry about the pun”

Would be an appalling signing, especially as it is not a priority area. Let him stay at and waggling his drinks bottle between between his leg.  Especially because of the money villa would ask. 

Edited by ROTG

59 minutes ago, Thiago97 said:
2 hours ago, xceleryx said:

£50m for a 31 year old in September 😳

for that money hopefully he will bag us at least 20 odd goals 

1 minute ago, ROTG said:

I post for debate to ensuring the forum does not turn into a done dimensional, 1984 we all agree forum - Boyo. 

I believe there is an ignore button for you to use. 

Boyo is borderline racist old fruit.

I don't do the ignore button; it seems to me pointless to belong to a community like this and then shy away from the inevitable conflict of ideas expressed by its members.

The idea that you are the catalyst for diverse and reasoned discussion is hilarious my Josephian friend; hanging out under bridges makes you neither an apostle of Brunel nor the caprine champion. The suggestion that the forum would descend into trite vanilla platitude is risible : any discussion between any 3 given members on here would produce 9 different opinions, all forcefully held!

The upshot, old bean, is keep contributing, but try to be a little less of a troll  because it obscures the interesting things you have to say; try not to take yourself so seriously; take yourself a bit more seriously; try to live up to the nonchalance you affect. 

Yours sincerely (and not at all pompously 😉)....etc

11 minutes ago, ROTG said:

£50m for a 31 year old in September 😳

for that money hopefully he will bag us at least 20 odd goals 

I agree in that I would not pay what it would cost. He’s still better than Kepa. Which was the main point . 

If you are looking for a backup goalkeeper, why not talk to Asmir Begovic? I think he is not in a contract, he is only 36. he has tons of experience, and would probably accept relatively low wages, and he knows the club.

1 hour ago, Bison said:

It's a red herring. Mendy was signed for 20m and we went on to finish 3rd and win the Champions League with him in goal, something that would have been impossible with Kepa in goal. 

I'm sure there are a number for affordable keepers out there that would represent a huge upragde on Kepa but we're led to believe otherwise for whatever reason.

Anyway, two more years of this nonsense and we'll be free. Good luck to Poch.

Mendy's moment in the sun has been proven to be a flash in the pan. 

Never really did anything before or since. 

Good shot stopper but not really good at anything else. 

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Thiago97 said:

Meslier has looked a  good young keeper, until some poor errors last season. He would be a risk, but worthy of being looked at closer. 

We almost bought Meslier years ago when he was playing in France but the deal broke down at the last minute I believe.

1 hour ago, Sciatika said:

If you are looking for a backup goalkeeper, why not talk to Asmir Begovic? I think he is not in a contract, he is only 36. he has tons of experience, and would probably accept relatively low wages, and he knows the club.

Signed for QPR I believe 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ham said:

Mendy's moment in the sun has been proven to be a flash in the pan. 

Never really did anything before or since. 

Good shot stopper but not really good at anything else. 

A moment in the sun that eclipsed anything Kepa has ever done for us, somebody who cost 3.5x as much and was paid significantly more. 

Maybe if Mendy was given as many opportunities to redeem himself from some bad form as Kepa has he would still be playing for us. But I understand it's a lot easier to discard the guy on low wages so this wasn't a sporting decision.

As I said earlier, two more years and we'll never have to hear this guy's name ever again. Can't wait.

Edited by Bison

3 hours ago, Thiago97 said:

I'm not saying I wouldn't have Martinez, just that the improvement garnered by signing him likely doesn't outweigh the price point he'd come in at. 

The issue of upgrading on Kepa goes just beyond being just a better shot stopper, or better at collecting crosses, or whatever else. Any replacement needs to be generally better, while also fitting the profile of keeper needed for a side that will continue to emphasis building from the back. It's about a broader improvement, where it ultimately raises the ceiling level of the team.

It's no good getting ourselves another Mendy for example, while a good shot-stopper he's subpar at ground level. In a side that is going to need to utilise and trust their GK with the ball at feet, with the defence often using them as an outlet, he became a significant problem for us. 

In short the profile of keeper is equally as important as the quality. 

Just now, martin1905 said:

Quite a few reports that they are not looking at Caicedo.

Way out of their price range in all honesty. They'll need to sign two, maybe even three midfielders plus are looking at a CB I believe. No way they can spend £80m+ on a single player and still have the ability to invest in the other areas of need. 

As I said the other day they'll likely sign Lavia IMO.

Regarding Lukaku 

I don't want to say "I told you so" but 

I told you so. 

He's poison. 

A entitled flabby man-baby with delusions of grandeur and has in collusion with Inter fraudulently conned Chelsea out of more than £100m. 

Surely there can be no more apologists for his behaviour on this site now because  "he was good at WBA" 

He's beyond contempt. 

Edited by Mark Kelly
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Mark Kelly said:

Regarding Lukaku 

I told you so. 

He's poison. 

A entitled flabby man-baby with delusions of grandeur and has in collusion with Inter fraudulently conned Chelsea out of more than £100m. 

Surely there can be no more apologists for his behaviour on this site now because  "he was good at WBA" 

He's beyond contempt. 

Don't get me wrong. I've always disliked him. He's toxic, however my position was that we had to try a £97m investment under a new coach with new teammates ahead of just falling for the Inter Milan long firm fraud scheme. 

22 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Regarding Lukaku 

I told you so. 

He's poison. 

He's beyond contempt. 

An entitled flabby man-baby 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣