Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

11 minutes ago, RDCW said:

The working man's ballet, old chap.

Nice to see you back on this board too Mr Williams!

31 minutes ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

Isn't the point behind all this to pick up the players such as Enzo, Caicedo, Cucurella (well the promising version of him), MacAllister, Toney etc. before Brighton, Brentford, Benfica etc. do, so avoid getting fleeced since we have cut out the middle men and directly have these players with us, whether to use directly for ourselves or to sell on further for profit, or both. 

Again, obviously.

I think it's pretty normal to wonder what the attraction of a player with such underwhelming stats (again, 129 appearances, 5 goals) is, though. To be curious about what the club have seen that means they think this player will be worth markedly more or able to play at a high level in future. It's not like I'm setting an especially high standard or expecting a prodigy here. 

Generally I think we'd be much better off paying more money for fewer players, and players who it is clearer are worth it.

56 minutes ago, RDCW said:

The working man's ballet, old chap.

I always associated a pivot as part of a waltz routine, which was regularly performed by the local ballroom club at our local wheel tappers and shunters workings mans club Cha-Cha-Cha 😃 "another one for the teenagers"

31 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Again, obviously.

I think it's pretty normal to wonder what the attraction of a player with such underwhelming stats (again, 129 appearances, 5 goals) is, though. To be curious about what the club have seen that means they think this player will be worth markedly more or able to play at a high level in future. It's not like I'm setting an especially high standard or expecting a prodigy here. 

Generally I think we'd be much better off paying more money for fewer players, and players who it is clearer are worth it.

I guess we will see in the coming seasons if project 2030 is viable with regards to the club winning things again Or is it just a case of sustainability.

33 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Doesn't that just suggest we have offered £80m, despite Brighton wanting more, and have just convinced ourselves that they will eventually give in?

If its £80m, can see Chitty coming to the party

Edited by ROTG
That Said maybe the swerving the Cucurella Bullet will put doubts in chitty's mind

49 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Doesn't that just suggest we have offered £80m, despite Brighton wanting more, and have just convinced ourselves that they will eventually give in?

Before the season ended there were tweets on how Chelsea thought this could be done at £80m and here we are.

Latest article from Nathan Gissing (Guessing) says that we offered £65m plus £5m last week which contradicts every previous article on how we weren't going to submit any bids as such until the was agreement on the price.

Here we are one day before the pre-season tour with barely any midfielders. 

I'm genuinely worried about how we start this season. Others have tweaked their squads from a position of strength.  We're a mess. 

7 minutes ago, Ham said:

Before the season ended there were tweets on how Chelsea thought this could be done at £80m and here we are.

Latest article from Nathan Gissing (Guessing) says that we offered £65m plus £5m last week which contradicts every previous article on how we weren't going to submit any bids as such until the was agreement on the price.

Here we are one day before the pre-season tour with barely any midfielders. 

I'm genuinely worried about how we start this season. Others have tweaked their squads from a position of strength.  We're a mess. 

It really isn't a good look is it?

Still , once we get Neymar in ...

• Haha 3

52 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

For a mid table player , are they mad?

Probably not, as he would more than likely spend the first season as a squad player, like Grealish and Kelvin Philips "I think that's his name"

Edited by ROTG

14 minutes ago, Miguelito07 said:

Genuinely shocked we've sold him for so little. So much promise as a utility CM/DM. 

Surprised also that Poch didn't want to have a close look at him before shipping him out, given his reputation with young players. 

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Ham said:

Genuinely shocked we've sold him for so little. So much promise as a utility CM/DM. 

Surprised also that Poch didn't want to have a close look at him before shipping him out, given his reputation with young players. 

Particularly with the Caicedo transfer dragging on , I'm sure he could have done a job for us.

13 minutes ago, Ham said:

1 minute ago, Mark Kelly said:

Particularly with the Caicedo transfer dragging on , I'm sure he could have done a job for us.

Maybe, but 3 consecutive  loans to very poor clubs, and now a transfer down a division shows where his reputation is. 

I didn't see many better clubs queueing up to buy / loan him

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

Again, obviously.

Yes I agree with that, would have worked perfectly in this of all seasons as well to have a tighter more focused squad size. 

34 minutes ago, Ham said:

I think Chelsea have ,for once, moved another "nearly" player on with the player's future in mind... I wanted him to do well and think he would/could have done A job not THE job as a squad back up.

Not a player to build a side around and although I always liked his commitment there was a card hovering every time I watched him..or so it seemed.

Wish him well but in this time of "realism" towards players not contributing or truly up to top billing it is refreshing in a way to see the "dog in the manger" hang on to a player "just in case" attitude being cast aside...in truth of all the players shifted this window with a cold eye... can anyone question the shift?

Regrets of course..Kante time/injury..Dave ..time...Mount...a disappointment and on but something had to change radically...hopefully the latest changes will be in the right long term direction...ALL we can do is hope!

36 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

First teamers would play out of position ahead of Ampadu if needed. Better for us to downsize and he deserves an actual home. 

Yup.

23 in September too.

I am somewhat surprised (or not) that our board are getting criticized (by a few) for this. 

31 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Yup.

23 in September too.

I am somewhat surprised (or not) that our board are getting criticized (by a few) for this. 

No point. 

Everything is rosy in the garden.  Top 4 here we come

Edited by ROTG