Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

5 minutes ago, Thiago97 said:

Ward Prowse ? We are short on numbers in midfield, he has great experience and leadership in the PL with Southampton. We can probably get him for a relatively decent fee around the £30 million mark.

He may not play every week, but he could be a valuable option to have around and add some experienced depth to the midfield. Almost like a Raul Meireles type signing.

There were rumours a couple of weeks back that Southampton have been asking for £50m for him.  Which is wild - your suggested figure sounds a lot more like it tbh. 

6 hours ago, xceleryx said:

For me it's been a problem for years pre dating current ownerships time. If I had to put a date on it, I'd say around the end of Conte's first season being when things first started and that's progressively bleed into subsequent teams despite personnel change. 

I think this part is crucial. There are many football fans, our own fans and rivals alike, who take it for granted that we are always title contenders, we are Chelsea, every year we are up there...but then you look at it...it wasn't recently at all, it's been 7 years since we were title contenders. In the recent times our trophy return is similar to our 1996-2003 era. 

The rate of trophy return has heavily declined, an FA Cup, a Europa League and a Champions League, although the number of finals we reached in the August 2017-present period was still high (we lost 5 domestic cup finals), so perhaps that's altered peoples perceptions as well, plus winning European trophies is given great prestige which alters perceptions as well. 

I would also add another thing that happened in that timeframe. Roman being exiled from the UK. I think ever since Roman was exiled from the UK, we have been declining and the seizure of the Club from him was the icing on the cake of our decline. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

8 minutes ago, Thiago97 said:

Ward Prowse ? We are short on numbers in midfield, he has great experience and leadership in the PL with Southampton. We can probably get him for a relatively decent fee around the £30 million mark.

He may not play every week, but he could be a valuable option to have around and add some experienced depth to the midfield. Almost like a Raul Meireles type signing.

Would make a lot of sense, I'd be very happy with him, however I think it is very unlikely.

I have been told we want Caicedo, Gabri Viega, Cherki and a ST. No interest in a GK, apparently we did look at Onana but thought he was hugely over priced, which I am glad about as I think he is absolutely rubbish at being an actual goalkeeper, something I still value quite high for a player in that position, although I appear to be in the minority on that one.

Also Aubameyang, Lukaku and Ziyech are the only players likely to now leave, so close to £300m in sales, which is pretty much what Pochettinos will have to spend.

Edited by martin1905

10 hours ago, ROTG said:

So what are you expectations for the coming season?

Very difficult to predict which way this season will go.

We'll have so many payers who are unproven or haven't done anything much of note in the Premiership. Then there's the injury problems of our main defenders. Stil no main striker or defensive midfielder.

I'll be surprised if we finish top four. 5th or 6th would be a good season imo.

With so many unknown factors, it wouldn't surprise me if we have another poor mid-table season. 

Any team which struggles to score like we do will always have a battle to win points, so if we get off to a poor start we could find ourselves in a relegation fight.

If I had to put £20 on a position I'd go for 7th.

Edited by boratsbrother
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Thiago97 said:

Yes definitely, I have suggested him on here before. For me primarily for his set piece taking. 

6 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

Very difficult to predict which way this season will go.

We'll have so many payers who are unproven or haven't done anything much of note in the Premiership. Then there's the injury problems of our main defenders. Still no main striker or defensive midfielder.

I'll be surprised if we finisht top four. 5th or 6th would be a good season imo.

With so many unknown factors, it woukdnt surprise me if we have another poor mid-table season. 

Any team which struggles to score like we do will always have a battle to win points, so if we get off to a poor start we could find ourselves in a relegation fight.

If I had to put £20 on a position I'd go for 7th.

one factor that counts in our favour regarding where we will finish  is that we only have one game per week. If there was  ever a season  for that to happen it will be this one - with our inexperienced (and young) players.

Villa and BHA will now have to juggle premier league and Europe . Lets see how they get on with that. 

Astonishing that in a world where Brighton think Caicedo is worth 100m the same as Declan Rice, they think Colwill is a 40m player and West Ham think Gallagher is a 20m player. 

Leave it out.

Make it make sense, lads. 

I also think it is funny that we were apparently quoted 70m+ for Onana and yet he has fee agreed according to BBC Sport this morning to Man United for half this. 

Short conclusion is that the media havent got a scooby.

Great to see PEA doing one off to Marseilles though.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Morgs said:

Astonishing that in a world where Brighton think Caicedo is worth 100m the same as Declan Rice, they think Colwill is a 40m player and West Ham think Gallagher is a 20m player. 

Sure, but they don't "think" that.

They have a player they don't want to lose, who is trying to be bought by a much bigger club, with deep pockets.

In Colwill and Gallagher, those clubs are trying to buy a player who, in these cases, would be deemed surplus to requirements, when in fact I don't think that is the case. 

13 minutes ago, Morgs said:

Jelly and icecream and party hats and stuff at mine the day Brighton go down. That's all I'm saying. 

100% 

Party down West Street, when it happens.

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, Morgs said:

Jelly and icecream and party hats and stuff at mine the day Brighton go down. That's all I'm saying. 

Personally I don't care if they have the new Messi and Ronaldo , I wouldn't deal with them ever again after Cucurella and Caicedo , they join Inter on my blocked list 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

I think this part is crucial. There are many football fans, our own fans and rivals alike, who take it for granted that we are always title contenders, we are Chelsea, every year we are up there...but then you look at it...it wasn't recently at all, it's been 7 years since we were title contenders. In the recent times our trophy return is similar to our 1996-2003 era. 

The rate of trophy return has heavily declined, an FA Cup, a Europa League and a Champions League, although the number of finals we reached in the August 2017-present period was still high (we lost 5 domestic cup finals), so perhaps that's altered peoples perceptions as well, plus winning European trophies is given great prestige which alters perceptions as well. 

I would also add another thing that happened in that timeframe. Roman being exiled from the UK. I think ever since Roman was exiled from the UK, we have been declining and the seizure of the Club from him was the icing on the cake of our decline. 

Fully agree with that, CFM. Might add that I've worked with a number of US companies, and the new CEO often takes a year or so to watch how things work before clearing out those who don't follow the party line / contribute to profits / whatever, which reconciles with events at CFC.

I could add that when you look at our captains over the last 30 years:

• 1993–2001 - Dennis Wise
  • 2001–2004 - Marcel Desailly
  • 2004–2017 - John Terry
  •  2017–2019 - Gary Cahill
  •  2019–2023 - César Azpilicueta

... you can see the strength of the captaincy - and thus the team - falling off. With a strong leader on the field, the impact of weak leadership in the boardroom is usually minimized. Cahill being essentially a fill-in, I'm afraid that - despite being undeniably a nice guy - Dave never really seemed to have the sharp teeth / fear-factor / whatever of Wise, Desailly and Terry.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bert19 said:

There were rumours a couple of weeks back that Southampton have been asking for £50m for him.  Which is wild - your suggested figure sounds a lot more like it tbh. 

I'd have Ward-Prowse at Chelsea all day. Class player. 

• Agree 1

Am I right in thinking that Caicedo agreed a new contract when it was announced he was staying in January ? If that is correct , you have to question why his team didn’t include a release fee in that contract .

Maybe I’m wrong , but I thought it was a new contract when Brighton announced he was staying in Jan. 

1 minute ago, Thiago97 said:

Am I right in thinking that Caicedo agreed a new contract when it was announced he was staying in January ? If that is correct , you have to question why his team didn’t include a release fee in that contract .

Maybe I’m wrong , but I thought it was a new contract when Brighton announced he was staying in Jan. 

We're obviously going to get fleeced (again)

9 minutes ago, Thiago97 said:

He did extend, but it was on the pretence that he'd be allowed to leave should a good offer come in over the summer. The issue is what constitutes as a "good offer". Brighton are quite clearly using Rice's recent sale as a comparison, even though Rice is far more proven beyond just anything Caicedo has done. 

A release clause would've made thing easier, much like it was for Mac Allister.

I think I'd move on from Caicedo pretty soon and just stay clear of Brighton. At best, they will drag this out all summer and we don't have time for that, we need to get our new signings done in good time, to give Poch time to work with them.

I'd be looking at Lavia at Southampton before Liverpool get him.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

The sense I get from the reports reminds me a little of Luka Modric in 2011. If you remember, he signed a contract with Spurs but announced that he had a "gentleman's agreement" with Levy that the club would entertain offers. Levy rejected a £40m bid from Chelsea (allegedly) suggesting that Levy is no gentleman. Inevitably, Modric left in 2012 for Real Madrid for £30m (allegedly). 

Edited by Sciatika
  • Agree 1

34 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

He did extend, but it was on the pretence that he'd be allowed to leave should a good offer come in over the summer. The issue is what constitutes as a "good offer". Brighton are quite clearly using Rice's recent sale as a comparison, even though Rice is far more proven beyond just anything Caicedo has done. 

A release clause would've made thing easier, much like it was for Mac Allister.

If I was Caicedo I would be changing my agent and team off the back of this. It’s a schoolboy error to not agree a release fee clause, when it was obvious you would be moving on in the summer. 

31 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

I think I'd move on from Caicedo pretty soon and just stay clear of Brighton. At best, they will drag this out all summer and we don't have time for that, we need to get our new signings done in good time, to give Poch time to work with them.

I'd be looking at Lavia at Southampton before Liverpool get him.

Easier said than done when there alternatives out there are thin. Lavia, while a talented looking player, isn't the profile of midfielder we really need in that defensive role. He's definitely not ready to be our first choice option to marker Enzo, I know that much. 

The only other recent name I've seen us linked with is Onana from Everton, who's probably a better fit profile wise. Beyond that though I'm struggling to think of any other relevant options. Missing out on Ugarte for me will be our biggest miss this summer. 

1 hour ago, Morgs said:

I'd have Ward-Prowse at Chelsea all day. Class player. 

"class"? guess it depends on your definition. 

28 years old, and 11 caps. 

I'm not sure what he brings to the table, set pieces aside. And you can't pick someone on the hope you get a free kick. 

4 minutes ago, Thiago97 said:

If I was Caicedo I would be changing my agent and team off the back of this. It’s a schoolboy error to not agree a release fee clause, when it was obvious you would be moving on in the summer. 

It could be seen as an oversight on their behalf, however Caicedo still signed the deal knowing the conditions. You'd like to think Brighton would acknowledge the agreement had and not try to basically hold the player against his will despite good offers coming in for a player who's got like 45 games to his name. 

This is the way the market is though. Once a player has a good season it's hard to stop Premier League clubs from jacking up the asking price, knowing that other Premier League clubs have the means to pay up. 

Just now, xceleryx said:

It could be seen as an oversight on their behalf, however Caicedo still signed the deal knowing the conditions. You'd like to think Brighton would acknowledge the agreement had and not try to basically hold the player against his will despite good offers coming in for a player who's got like 45 games to his name. 

This is the way the market is though. Once a player has a good season it's hard to stop Premier League clubs from jacking up the asking price, knowing that other Premier League clubs have the means to pay up. 

Yep. Seeing a similar situation with Paulinha at Fulham. 
I think it’s fast approaching plan B and C on the target list though. If we can’t make this happen for somewhere around the £80 mark, then time to move on.

I like Caicedo as a player, but he is no world beater and whilst he makes us better, I am not massively convinced on him at this price.