Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

I hope we don't start panicking about bringing players in and start blowing huge sums of money on moderate players just to fill gaps in the squad. It was always going to be a big job to rebuild the squad, move on the deadwood, bring money in and slash the bloated wage bill.

As we've seen, most of that part of the job has already been done, but the hardest part was always going to signing the level of players we need to significantly improve the team. If we can't buy them this window then we should be prepared to wait and make do with what we have. We cannot afford to rush the most  crucial part of the rebuild just to hopefully be in a chase for a CL place this season. 

2 hours ago, xceleryx said:

. Not sure they'd be in direct competition anyway, would be highly unlikely we'd line up with two left footed CB's together IMO. Can't even think of a left-footed pairing come to think of it. 

Desailly - Leboeuf

Desailly - JT

Desailly - Gallas

JT - Gallas

JT - Carvalho

JT - Cahill

JT - Alex

JT - David Luiz

Just about every good, consistent partnership I have seen in a back 4 here have had 2 right footers, and it was never mentioned as a concern. So why not 2 left footers? 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, paulw66 said:

I actually don't think Maguire would be the worst option in the world. 

I think he has been a bit of scapegoat at United. Very good everywhere else, including England. 

A highly paid carthorse is not what the club needs after this summers culling. 

9 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

I think he has been a bit of scapegoat at United. Very good everywhere else, including England. 

He would be an awful option. His confidence is shot, he is too old and he is on way too much money. He would also cost a lumpy transfer fee with 2+1 years left on his contract at a club which will do us no favours. 

39 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

I think he may benefit from a change and the chance to get back in the England manager’s plans.

1 hour ago, Sciatika said:

The problem with Ward-Prowse is that you can't just bring him on for set pieces and then take him off again. 

Maybe Todd hasn't been informed that you can't bring on special teams during games 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Haha 1

Put me in the "Maguire wouldn't be the worst decision right now" camp. 

United would probably be happy to negotiate as they probably want him gone because of the negative image around around him in a United shirt. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Maguire would be a horrendous option. Can't run, immobile, turns slower than 38 year old Thiago Silva and has low confidence after being dropped and stripped of the captaincy at his current club.

None of the clubs we're trying to finish above would entertain the idea of signing Maguire.

• Agree 2

23 minutes ago, Ham said:

Put me in the "Maguire wouldn't be the worst decision right now" camp. 

United would probably be happy to negotiate as they probably want him gone because of the negative image around around him in a United shirt. 

I'm seriously expecting a Maguire Neymar twofer

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, chara said:

Clear headed comments Mr Williams..Thank you.... a bit out of touch here but how "absolute" is the reported injury?

No smoke etc but any official or semi official word? (Maybe clutching at straws.)

FWIW..one of my dogs tore his ACL somehow.. back to normal in three months....not comparing the two but as you say...not the career ending injury it once was and common surgery now..even for pets.

Done deal on the injury, confirmed. 

I thought we overpaid for Wes, firstly his comparative lack of experience and secondly he had the feel of a 'Pulisic' in terms of injury history. Just felt too high a fee, too much risk for the reward. But we had Rudiger leaving and got sort of Courtois'd on the deal. 

One other thing as regards Wes, and I've noticed it far more noticeably at the games is that he has a strange gait, which looks like he might get additional strain on ankles and knees. In a similar way that Wilshire had, although commentators have said his early injuries were caused by his own tacking. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, east lower said:

Done deal on the injury, confirmed. 

I thought we overpaid for Wes, firstly his comparative lack of experience and secondly he had the feel of a 'Pulisic' in terms of injury history. Just felt too high a fee, too much risk for the reward. But we had Rudiger leaving and got sort of Courtois'd on the deal. 

One other thing as regards Wes, and I've noticed it far more noticeably at the games is that he has a strange gait, which looks like he might get additional strain on ankles and knees. In a similar way that Wilshire had, although commentators have said his early injuries were caused by his own tacking. 

I know someone who was a youngster at Arsenal and was friends with quite a few people there and he told me. Wilshires issue was he had horribly bandy legs which put extra strain on his ankles and given the way he played caused him no end of problems. 

Couldn't catch a pig in a passage 

43 minutes ago, Sciatika said:

I have a theory that the spate of knee injuries among female footballers is partly to do with wide hips and so more  pressure is put on the knee ligaments. 

I follow Sharron Davies and she mentioned the very same thing recently. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bison said:

Maguire would be a horrendous option. Can't run, immobile, turns slower than 38 year old Thiago Silva and has low confidence after being dropped and stripped of the captaincy at his current club.

None of the clubs we're trying to finish above would entertain the idea of signing Maguire.

Alternatively, he might want to get one back over Man Utd. Just a thought. That being said, not a fan of his.

7 hours ago, Bert19 said:

His injury record to this point really has an ominous feel to it.  Hope i'm wrong, must be terrible for the lad. 

Yeah not looking great is it? 

7 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

I have the same feeling and go further and say I think he's probably already finished as a player for a top club.🙁

There was always a high risk with this signing, both based on injury-record up til then, but also how little he had really achieved before we signed him. £60m+ is a very high fee for a CB. In hindsight it was a mad signing and yet another one where it is obvious we not only overspent, we were also undercooked on quality. I was very much against us signing him and definitely for the money we did. 

I think it is obvious how this will end up. Another high-end signing on a long deal with high wages. We are just making this so much harder than it has to be. A lot of good money thrown on bad prospects.