Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

I think we’re going to need someone with Premier League experience to play alongside Colwill. Looks like Laporte at Man City is going to leave to make way for Gvardiol. I think he’s a better shout than Maguire, is still fairly young, and won’t cost the earth. 

• Agree 2

5 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Admittedly don't follow *checks notes* Girona at all, but a 31 year old Oriel Romeu to Barcelona seems a bit very f**king strange!

He's replacing Biscuits. I believe the logic behind the move was that Barcelona felt there wasn't any stand out candidates, so went for a suitable short term replacement that'll do what's needed. He's also cheap, which also suits their situation. 

Just now, xceleryx said:

He's replacing Biscuits. I believe the logic behind the move was that Barcelona felt there wasn't any stand out candidates, so went for a suitable short term replacement that'll do what's needed. He's also cheap, which also suits their situation. 

Plus they know him pretty well as he is a La Mancha academy graduate when he was younger. 

• Like 1

Can't see us going anywhere near Harry Maguire and don't see the need.

As sad as it is for Fofana, I've said numerous times how much I rate him, his injury, along with Badiashille being out means Colwill starts the season as first choice. It also means we keep Chalobah and he will be given a real opportunity to prove himself as Silva won't play every week.

Silva/Chalobah - Colwill is fine by me for the start of the season whilst we wait for Badiashille to return and we absolutely must not panic and bring someone in for the sake of it.

It may be, in the long term, that we have to move Fofana on and bring in a replacement or it may be that the surgery fixes any problems he has with his knee and he comes back even better but a knee jerk signing like Harry Maguire is the last thing we need.

If anything that right side of our defence was one player too many anyway, especially if the rumours that Pochettino only wants four centre backs are true.

Best case scenario is Fofana comes back, fully fixed and ready for next season and comes back into the squad whilst we say farewell to Thiago Silva.

7 minutes ago, Original 21 said:

I think we’re going to need someone with Premier League experience to play alongside Colwill. Looks like Laporte at Man City is going to leave to make way for Gvardiol. I think he’s a better shout than Maguire, is still fairly young, and won’t cost the earth. 

Also falls into that left footed argument. 

Scalvini from Atalanta is another one on my list, but also happens to fall into that young category at 19. He was excellent last season, started for virtually most of the season and was also part of the first team the season prior. 

Inacio (21 - Sporting Lisbon / left footed but believe has played RCB) and Antonio Silva (19 - Benfica) are two other upcoming options who've had dominate seasons. 

Taposoba from Leverkusen fits the age profile better at 24. 

Demiral would be an interesting option if he could stay fit, apparently being shopped around by Atalanta. 

Nikola Milenkovic from Fiorentina is one I put forward a few years ago as a player to keep an eye on. Hasn't quite kicked on, but fits the basic profile. Pretty sure he extended his contract not too long ago though, so probably rules that out. 

A flyer on Sergio Ramos for a season? 

The stocks are thin these days. 

40 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

With the way you believe it works we'd be seeing CF's in goal, GK's playing on the wing, and wingers at CB. 

Not at all. 

Ain't modern day goal keeper now rush goalies playing as part of the back line.

You also have the inverted winger system championed by TT

And going back to the original point all of the remaining CB would have played both sides of CB, so wasting money on another non essential position is not a priority. 

Can't remember who it is, however there is a keeper in the PL who is a converted striker. 

42 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

Also falls into that left footed argument. 

Scalvini from Atalanta is another one on my list, but also happens to fall into that young category at 19. He was excellent last season, started for virtually most of the season and was also part of the first team the season prior. 

Inacio (21 - Sporting Lisbon / left footed but believe has played RCB) and Antonio Silva (19 - Benfica) are two other upcoming options who've had dominate seasons. 

Taposoba from Leverkusen fits the age profile better at 24. 

Demiral would be an interesting option if he could stay fit, apparently being shopped around by Atalanta. 

Nikola Milenkovic from Fiorentina is one I put forward a few years ago as a player to keep an eye on. Hasn't quite kicked on, but fits the basic profile. Pretty sure he extended his contract not too long ago though, so probably rules that out. 

A flyer on Sergio Ramos for a season? 

The stocks are thin these days. 

I’d be surprised if we bring in a centre back without Premier League experience.  Even someone with Koulibaly’s pedigree struggled to adapt to the pace. Also it looks like Colwill is going to be a starter so I’d be surprised if we decide to pair him with a young partner from overseas - unless it’s someone of Gvardiol’s quality (but he’s going to Man City for 100m). Thiago Silva is the obvious partner from within the squad but don’t know if that’s feasible over a whole season, especially as it looks like we’re going to be playing with a back four. 

I'd be surprised if we bring in a CB at all. In an absolute best case scenario, it would leave us having to move a relatively recently acquired CB on next summer. Far more likely we'll make do with what we have at the start of the season. No idea who it could be, but I wouldn't put it past us to take someone on loan. Things fell into place for us beyond realistic expectation in moving Koulibaly on, I doubt we'd be looking to do that again next summer.

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Original 21 said:

I’d be surprised if we bring in a centre back without Premier League experience.  Even someone with Koulibaly’s pedigree struggled to adapt to the pace. Also it looks like Colwill is going to be a starter so I’d be surprised if we decide to pair him with a young partner from overseas - unless it’s someone of Gvardiol’s quality (but he’s going to Man City for 100m). Thiago Silva is the obvious partner from within the squad but don’t know if that’s feasible over a whole season, especially as it looks like we’re going to be playing with a back four. 

The trouble with going down the Premier League experience route is that there's limited options there also. Someone like Lewis Dunk would be a good option for example, but because we'd be dealing with another Premier League club it'll only further increase the cost anyway. You'd be hard pressed to find an affordable solution that has both the quality and affordability. 

Really does put Maguire at the front of the queue, particularly if Man Utd take a cut priced deal to clear his wages and then he takes a huge pay reduction to join us. 

4 hours ago, Blue Kratos said:

The only time I felt like this is when we signed Vinny Jones 🤣

He was one of my favourite signings!  I remember being in the shed as a nipper and giving him abuse a season or two before (can't remember if it was Sheffield game where he got the yellow card or when he was at Leeds.  Anyway at a corner he turned around and mooned at the shed.  I was only about 10 but, loved the chant 'Vinnies gonna get ya' at every opposition player that fouled us.  A few minutes later and he did usually get them!

2 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

Admittedly don't follow *checks notes* Girona at all, but a 31 year old Oriel Romeu to Barcelona seems a bit very f**king strange!

The idiots have given him a 347m euro buy out clause , I expect the queues will be round the block

So who does that leave to get rid of? Lukaku is probably now the only absolute must, followed by Ziyech and Hudson-Odoi ... Think they'd do less financial and morale damage just left with the reserves than Lukaku if it really came down to it.

No idea how those involved in buying and selling split their time, but you'd expect the balance to have tipped now, wouldn't you.