13 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Mudryk
Sterling
Madueke
Nkunku
Gallagher
Olise/Cherki
Kudos

With the possibility of Maatsen sticking around and able to play wide left as well.

that's alot of players for one game a week (domestic cups not included)

1 hour ago, Miguelito07 said:

It is, but as we can make 5 subs a game, it’s quite possible 6 of them play in each game, to keep things fresh/change approaches etc.

Maybe it’s one less than the list I put on, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see us bring in 2 more for this positions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Miguelito07 said:

There has to be some level of competition for places , we can't have a situation like last season where players like Havertz got to stink the place out on a weekly basis because there was no feasible replacement. Plus with rotation we can give our players more time to recuperate and rest so that they're not exhausted come the end of the season.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

As well as Angelo, Moreira and Madueke who are on tour we also have Hutchinson out on loan and Kendry Paez due to join us when he turns 18. Spending big money on another RW at this point would be overkill. Sterling will also play there a bit this season with Mudryk on the other side.

We still need a defensive midfielder and an experienced goalkeeper. 

1 hour ago, chiswickblue said:

As well as Angelo, Moreira and Madueke who are on tour we also have Hutchinson out on loan and Kendry Paez due to join us when he turns 18. Spending big money on another RW at this point would be overkill.

I’ve seen the light, what we’re aiming to do in two or three years time is play with four wingers, a revolutionary invention. In all honesty, two or three of these are getting sold on for profit, I’d have one of them take Sterling’s spot if he can’t deliver this season. Agree with you though, it does seem like overkill. 

Edited by Floyd25

3 hours ago, chiswickblue said:

As well as Angelo, Moreira and Madueke who are on tour we also have Hutchinson out on loan and Kendry Paez due to join us when he turns 18. Spending big money on another RW at this point would be overkill. Sterling will also play there a bit this season with Mudryk on the other side.

We still need a defensive midfielder and an experienced goalkeeper. 

Don't see it as that big of a deal personally. As noted by other already, not every one of these players are going to make it here generally speaking. On top of that, some of them are a good 2, 3 or 4 years away from likely being feasible depending on their progression. 

Stocking piling talent is going to become more and more attractive with the way transfer fees for players are becoming, and with the reform of the loan system. As long as the price points of obtaining these player aren't ridiculous then there's also a good revenue stream to be had out of it all for those that we do eventually sell. And if we do manage to hit on a few of these young players and they go on to be first team contributors we'll have came out on top, saving millions in the process. 

What we shouldn't' be doing is forgetting the immediate areas of need either.

Olise for £35m or so is a no brainer, even with his current injury. That's severely under market priced within the domestic scene, and he's an exciting player when in full flight.

6 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

Plus with rotation we can give our players more time to recuperate and rest so that they're not exhausted come the end of the season.

Bless them, the little cherubs will play 38 games next season.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, xceleryx said:

Olise for £35m or so is a no brainer, even with his current injury. That's severely under market priced within the domestic scene, and he's an exciting player when in full flight.

Can he play DM, because allegedly that is the most critical area for recruitment?

6 hours ago, chiswickblue said:

Spending big money on another RW at this point would be overkill. Sterling will also play there a bit this season with Mudryk on the other side.

Sterling's strongest and most potent position on the left, hence him looking a bit like a fish out of water on Sunday morning

• Agree 1

33 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

Sorry, but he always looks like that to me. 

Indeed.From memory he made one good run against Brighton.He's another player that runs into a brick wall without seeing the brick wall.

If the right money was offered I would sell him.

24 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

You know the answer to that already. 

So why champion the recruitment of someone who plays in a position, which is not a priority and would probably demand first team football which leaves Madueke in no mans land?

You might also want to look a the level of teams he got his assist against - Just seems another FIFA23 data driven recruitment 

3 minutes ago, kev61 said:

Indeed.From memory he made one good run against Brighton.He's another player that runs into a brick wall without seeing the brick wall.

If the right money was offered I would sell him.

Brick wall or not, the guy regularly scores goals at the highest level both domestic and international

On 21/07/2023 at 08:42, xceleryx said:

Looking at W.Fofana alternatives for the season got me thinking about Bonucci. With Giuntoli joining Juve recently as Sporting Director from Napoli, Bonucci has reportedly been told he'll not be a starter or part of the clubs plans for next season. While he's not the player he once was during those peak BBC years, he may be an inexpensive short-term solution to our problem.

At 36 he doesn't really block any sort of pathway for the younger guys, adds some experience and winning culture, plus suits a side wanting to play out from the back. Might be a more favourable solution than spending £40, 50 or 60 million on an alternative and then having to juggling that next season. 

Considering we bought Napoli's top defender last year, who is four years younger and has considerably more pace than Bonnuci and that didn't work out at all well, what makes you think this would be successful?  

Bonucci's lack of pace  is less problematic in Série A  than the Premiership and I don't think 36 is the time for him to take a step up to a faster league.

4 minutes ago, ROTG said:

Brick wall or not, the guy regularly scores goals at the highest level both domestic and international

He scores goals when he has good players around him.I think he could be good for us if Poch's plans comes together - but his first touch is abysmal, he gives the ball away too often and he runs into cul- de - sacs

I haven't given up hope on him,but if we get a huge offer for him I would take it.

I'm probably getting ahead of myself but I just don't rate him that highly.

• Agree 1

47 minutes ago, Alex said:

Considering we bought Napoli's top defender last year, who is four years younger and has considerably more pace than Bonnuci and that didn't work out at all well, what makes you think this would be successful?  

Bonucci's lack of pace  is less problematic in Série A  than the Premiership and I don't think 36 is the time for him to take a step up to a faster league.

I mean Koulibaly wasn't actually THAT bad, he took time to adapt in a side that was poor as a whole and still managed to do reasonably well towards the back end of the season. I was in favour of keeping him and maybe doing so would've avoided this whole situation we have now. That all aside however, our needs for a Fofana replacement are quite specific. We want someone that's shorter term, ideally has some experience, and from a fit perspective good on the ball but still with actual defensive qualities, all while not costing us an arm and leg. How many of these players currently exist? 

Bonucci isn't perfect by any means, I said as much originally, but he does tick some of the boxes we need. I remember many also heavily wrote off Thiago Silva, and yet he's arguably been one of our most consistent performers since his arrival. 

If we're just going to go "f--k it" and get a longer term CB replacement and work it out later then I'm all for one of Scalvini (Atlanta), Goncalo Inacio, (Sporting CP) or Antonio Silva (Benfica).

Edited by xceleryx
Formatting

1 hour ago, ROTG said:

So why champion the recruitment of someone who plays in a position, which is not a priority and would probably demand first team football which leaves Madueke in no mans land?

You might also want to look a the level of teams he got his assist against - Just seems another FIFA23 data driven recruitment 

Because we only have one RW option at present if we're to believe Angelo, who is only 18 mind you, will likely spend the season out on loan playing regularly and adjusting to European football. 

Olise has, and can, also play centrally which would mean he could fill that Erikson-type role if Poch opts to have something like that with us. 

16 assists from 65 Premier League matches. 

Arsenal, Man City, West Ham, Norwich, Burnley, Leeds, Wolves, Bournemouth x2, Brentford, Leeds x3, West Ham, Bournemouth and Notts Forrest. 

4th most assists in the league last season behind Trossard, Salah and KDB. 

Not that assists tell the full story of how impactful he actually can be of course. 

• 92nd percentile for shot-creating actions
  • 74th percentile for progressive carries
  • 94th percentile for assists 
  • Virtually 75th percentile and upwards in almost all passing related criteria
  • Sits exceptionally well in all defensive categories, a big plus point for wide players these days.

And so on and so forth. 

He doesn't take priority over a DM for example, but he's also a nice player to pick up if the opportunity arises for a very reasonable price.

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, Original 21 said:

Olise has a torn hamstring that required surgery and is going to miss the start of the season.

He'll fit right in here then , Hamstring is our middle name , but should we be surprised seeing as he started here in the first place !

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

I think we’ll end up with 2 of Olise, Cherki or Kudos and then one of Gabriel of Moreira out on loan

Surely both? Wouldn't have thought Gabriel will get a work permit and Moreira has apparently played 2 senior games. Either way, I think it's unlikely either plays any senior football for us next year.

1 minute ago, thevelourfog said:

Surely both? Wouldn't have thought Gabriel will get a work permit and Moreira has apparently played 2 senior games. Either way, I think it's unlikely either plays any senior football for us next year.

They've changed the rules on work permits , you can have four players who wouldn't normally qualify for a work permit now.