Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

5 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

When is Enzo being announced, then? Do we have to have a whole day of memes again?

Apparently he's flying into London later this morning, so i'm guessing they want to get a photoshoot and interview done before they officially announce. Maybe this afternoon?

1 hour ago, xceleryx said:

not being personal or rude, but this sort of comment does contain it's share common placed ignorance when it comes to Jorginho

Mate, I know this was a player that divided opinion and that there were as many fans as there were detractors but let's be honest you can make statistics prove anything you like. You can tell me that Thiago Silva is old and slow but I watch games and if he hasn't positioned himself perfectly he is entirely capable of keeping up with forwards in a race for the ball. Maybe the fact that his positioning obviates the need to sprint that skews the stats in some way? I use my eyes and my own perception of Jorginho in games and he has never struck me as the sort of midfield collossus that your stats suggest. Let's not forget that many of those stats seem to be percentages. If he makes one attempt at a tackle and pulls it off then I presume he has a 100% success rate and will therefore appear quite high on the percentiles. I don't know how you can measure "effectiveness" at a position but I feel raw data isn't the way to go. Speed is always touted as a positive attribute for an attacker, but if if you can't carry the ball at those speeds or your passing or crossing is non existant what are you measuring at the end of the day? I look at Jorginho and I see a player that is not progressive, provides no threat and seems easily played out of the game by certain teams to the extent that laterly even his managers were only playing him in certain circumstances. He was never the first name on the teamsheet and that is quite telling for the UEFA player of the year don't you think?

Anyway, you will have your memories of him and I mine. Fortunately we won't need to argue about that any more. Hopefully he screws Arsenal out of the title.

God I've missed these pointless back and fores ove the last three weeks or so.

3 hours ago, Spawton said:

Yep, a truly bonkers January window. Eight players in. Around £300m spent. Huge, multi year contracts all round.

On the face of it we look set in a number of positions for years to come. It's incredibly exciting to have all these young players at the club at once. However, the squad is bloated and will be until at least the Summer, when they will presumably be focusing on selling. I wonder if they will try and make Zakaria and/or Felix permanent. I would imagine at least the Felix deal is dependent on money raised anyway.

Mendy, Azpilicueta, Trev, Koulibaly, Pulisic, Ziyech, Havertz, Auba, RLC, Gallagher. I can see any and all of those players leaving permanently. Hutchinson, Hall, D Fofana and/or Broja could leave on loan. There's still the matter of Mason Mount's new contract to sort. We may well end up with a few holes in the squad still to fill. 

Regardless, a squad overhaul was well overdue and we're a hell of a lot closer to doing it successfully than we were prior to this window.

I'd be disappointed to see us clear out every Cobham graduate just like that.  I'd keep as many as I could in the squad purely to give hope to the next group coming through. 

2 hours ago, ROTG said:

One would also suspect squad building was also to do with new sponsorship and ways of earning additional revenue which is required.

I sure TB and his commercial team, can now go to potential new sponsors and say hey look at this team being built and its potential, invest now and join the project.

Great point 👍

51 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Apparently he's flying into London later this morning, so i'm guessing they want to get a photoshoot and interview done before they officially announce. Maybe this afternoon?

Just done now, teaser 17 second clip. Sure the other media will follow.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

Jorginho has gone - perhaps the squabbling over his pros and cons can go with him?

I get why he divided opinion, and he certainly has / had distinct strengths and weaknesses. 

He moves on with my best, and I think maybe the timing was good for all parties.

Quite!

Ziyech's move is completely off, they're not going to be able to make it happen. I am gutted for him and I really don't know what happens now. We have a player who obviously wanted out and was all set to go, but couldn't because the club messed it up... it's not even that they couldn't reach an agreement, we just messed up the paperwork.

If we thought he was grumpy before, well I imagine he'll be in a proper mood now!

Just now, My Blood Is Blue said:

Rumours about summer targets started already... apparently the wishlist is Rice, Caicedo and David Raya.

No Striker then! Typical Chelsea, never getting their hand in their pocket to give the long-suffering fans what they need.

1 minute ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Ziyech's move is completely off, they're not going to be able to make it happen. I am gutted for him and I really don't know what happens now. We have a player who obviously wanted out and was all set to go, but couldn't because the club messed it up... it's not even that they couldn't reach an agreement, we just messed up the paperwork.

If we thought he was grumpy before, well I imagine he'll be in a proper mood now!

If it was genuinely our administrative incompetence then we owe it to him to cancel his contract and let him sign on a free.

9 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

I made a point on this a few weeks back. I have sympathy for him, as I don’t think he has been particularly well treated by us. Tuchel seemed to mess him about a bit end of last season. Potter had little interest in him pre World Cup, but he then becomes an option after he had a good WC. He has looked half decent in last couple of games in RWB role. Yet it’s clear we were prepared to let him leave, then we can’t see that transfer over the line for one reason or another. I hope he is prepared to out it behind him , as on recent form and with Reece not quite ready to throw back in, I think he is our best RWB option available.

I hope the club ease his exit in the summer and let him move on with this career.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Nkunku?

Lovely signing if it is finalised, but he is not, as far as I am aware, an out-and-out striker. As I know you know, my post above was ironical; our cup genuinely runneth over!

2 minutes ago, RDCW said:

Lovely signing if it is finalised, but he is not, as far as I am aware, an out-and-out striker. As I know you know, my post above was ironical; our cup genuinely runneth over!

It could also be that we are going to operate a number 9 free, fluid forward line in the manner of Guardiola's City prior to Haaland.

1 minute ago, RDCW said:

It could also be that we are going to operate a number 9 free, fluid forward line in the manner of Guardiola's City prior to Haaland.

Depends on what we do with Lukaku. Inter don't seem very interested in keeping him beyond this current loan deal. Not sure anyone else would be interested in him. Lukaku's problems seemed to be with Tuchel, who is no longer here. It's possible that - whether we like it or not - he gets incorporated into the squad next season. Who knows, with Mudryk, Fernandez and Felix (if he stays beyond his current loan) we might now have players capable of placing a ball on the exact millimetre of grass he wants it played to?

1 minute ago, Bob Singleton said:

Depends on what we do with Lukaku. Inter don't seem very interested in keeping him beyond this current loan deal. Not sure anyone else would be interested in him. Lukaku's problems seemed to be with Tuchel, who is no longer here. It's possible that - whether we like it or not - he gets incorporated into the squad next season. Who knows, with Mudryk, Fernandez and Felix (if he stays beyond his current loan) we might now have players capable of placing a ball on the exact millimetre of grass he wants it played to?

I can't believe you used the L word 😲. MODS WHERE ARE YOU?

On Felix, I can't help thinking that of all our signings he is the best! Do we have certain knowledge that there is an option to buy on his loan agreement?

50 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Turkey on loan if possible - good for both parties until the summer - If TB and co did make the error then they should continue to pay some of his wages to help get him away.