Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

3 hours ago, xceleryx said:

Fofana alternatives. 

I'm not out here advocating for Bonucci blindly, I also happen to follow Juve (and Italy NT) so naturally have probably seen him play more times than anyone else on this forum. As I've said before, and I'll stress again because your eagerness to ignore it continues, he's not perfect and some fix all solution. However, given the market, the available options, and other criteria we'll be needing to consider, he does tick some of our boxes of need more than many others. He's not my preferred option, but he's an option I'd consider.

Colwill doesn't replace Fofana, he'll play on the left and compete with Badiashile. We're looking at right sided options here, and as laid out before Thiago Silva is 39 soon and has regularly missed chunks of the season through injury since joining. And even if entertain the idea of pairing two left-footed CB's together Colwill has had his injuries the last two seasons, as as Badiashile. There's no guarantee any of these three play out a full season, even with a reduced schedule. So going into the season with just 4 options is naive to say the least. Unless you're happy to play Chalobah as a lone CB? 

An option you'd consider?! 

You seem to enjoy going pretty far down the rabbit in discussing hypotheticals. But you can talk about Bonnuci all you want, he won't come to Chelsea because he's of no use to Chelsea as he's old and slow. Therefore I'm afraid having seen more of Bonnuci than anyone on this forum is not of any use or relevance to anything.

2 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

Apparently we are enquiring after the availability of Axel Disasi of Monaco another centre half 

A disasi waiting to happen?

And I repeat my horror...that MK always seems to have an axel to grind!

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Miguelito07 said:

seems like the Caicedo transfer is going to the wire. 

We are going to have to pay well over the top for him but he is so perfect for us, to play alongside Enzo, we have little choice.

He's probably worth more to us than any other club, he's completely game changing and Brighton know it.

It may seem like an awful lot of money but it gives us two of the best young midfielders in the world who complement each other so well it's scary, they are as near perfect a pairing to play in a pivot, under Pochettino, that I can imagine. 

• Agree 1

Just now, martin1905 said:

We are going to have to pay well over the top for him but he is so perfect for us, to play alongside Enzo, we have little choice.

He's probably worth more to us than any other club, he's completely game changing and Brighton know it.

It may seem like an awful lot of money but it gives us two of the best young midfielders in the world who complement each other so well it's scary, they are as near perfect a pairing to play in a pivot, under Pochettino, that I can imagine. 

Yeah. It’s a shame we can’t scout a gem but it’s what it is, as you infer. I can honestly say I haven’t seen much of Caicedo. Do you genuinely think he’s worth as much as Declan 🍚?

On Caicedo, I think the phrase is "Shit or get off the pot". 

If we aren't prepared to meet their valuation, and the player won't submit a transfer request, we need to walk away right now.  

• Agree 2

23 minutes ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

Yeah. It’s a shame we can’t scout a gem but it’s what it is, as you infer. I can honestly say I haven’t seen much of Caicedo. Do you genuinely think he’s worth as much as Declan 🍚?

I'm in the same boat Matt...not seen enough of him to make a call and I'm nowhere near as good an analyst as some on here...I go by instinct mainly.

My two questions... how much of the wrangling..hysterical as it seems reported by the media in their quest for hyperbole and how much calm negotiating is the reality ?

Declan ? just can't see him as the automatic answer to every club's problems as reflected by a silly price tag.

Good or top player but not THAT good. The Philips fanfares last season are a timely warning maybe?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

Well, I think Rice is one of the most overrated players I have ever seen and therefore massively overpriced and I think Caicedo is the much better, all-round, player and far more suited to us than Rice.

The fact that Rice cost so much though is similar in the way we will have to overpay for Caicedo, he's perfect for what Arteta wants, a proper holding player to play deep and allow Odegaard and Havertz to play in front of him, similar to how United will play with Mount and Bruno infront of Casimero.

In our set up in a pivot I think Rice wouldn't be anywhere near as good, it's much more effective with two well rounded players who can do a bit of everything very well and excel at some things. Enzo's main strengths are Caicedo's weaknesses and vice versa but they are both very good at the things they are weakest at yet absolutely excellent at the things they are good at. It's a match made in heaven.

If Nkunku is half as good as he was in Germany and I've watched a lot of him but tried not to say too as I've been burnt in the past and been called out on it, he will be everyone's new favourite player and potentially our one true superstar, those three together in the middle will give us a serious shot and doing very well next season. Obviously we need our wide players to all step up and desperately need a striker. I've got no issues around our defence, even with the injuries and Silva's age.

We will see a different side of our full backs under Poch, he even had Danny Rose looking world class and they will be key. Honestly I think, as long as we get Caicedo and a striker and  don't suffer any more injuries in key positions we could go close. Really close.

Edited by martin1905
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

Hmm not sure myself. I think Caicedo is a good player, I don’t think he is elite level and is going to cost elite level prices.

I also don’t buy it all hinges on Caicedo. There will be other options out there.  I think Caicedo would be a good signing and happy to have him. I just don’t see him as a missing piece of the jigsaw type player. I don’t see Brighton changing their position on this, so it drags on for another 4-5 weeks and we end up paying stupid money, whilst not integrating the player.

Time to move onto other options. 

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, chara said:

I'm in the same boat Matt...not seen enough of him to make a call and I'm nowhere near as good an analyst as some on here...I go by instinct mainly.

My two questions... how much of the wrangling..hysterical as it seems reported by the media in their quest for hyperbole and how much calm negotiating is the reality ?

Declan ? just can't see him as the automatic answer to every club's problems as reflected by a silly price tag.

Good or top player but not THAT good. The Philips fanfares last season are a timely warning maybe?

Great post. Thank you! 🫶🏻

5 minutes ago, Thiago97 said:

Hmm not sure myself. I think Caicedo is a good player, I don’t think he is elite level and is going to cost elite level prices.

I also don’t buy it all hinges on Caicedo. There will be other options out there.  I think Caicedo would be a good signing and happy to have him. I just don’t see him as a missing piece of the jigsaw type player. I don’t see Brighton changing their position on this, so it drags on for another 4-5 weeks and we end up paying stupid money, whilst not integrating the player.

Time to move onto other options. 

I don't disagree with what you are saying about possibly moving on, if he's not attainable then we need to as soon as possible.

He may not be elite level yet but to be fair to him he's only 21 to be fair to him. 

25 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

Well, I think Rice is one of the most overrated players I have ever seen and therefore massively overpriced and I think Caicedo is the much better, all-round, player and far more suited to us than Rice.

The fact that Rice cost so much though is similar in the way we will have to overpay for Caicedo, he's perfect for what Arteta wants, a proper holding player to play deep and allow Odegaard and Havertz to play in front of him, similar to how United will play with Mount and Bruno infront of Casimero.

In our set up in a pivot I think Rice wouldn't be anywhere near as good, it's much more effective with two well rounded players who can do a bit of everything very well and excel at some things. Enzo's main strengths are Caicedo's weaknesses and vice versa but they are both very good at the things they are weakest at yet absolutely excellent at the things they are good at. It's a match made in heaven.

If Nkunku is half as good as he was in Germany and I've watched a lot of him but tried not to say too as I've been burnt in the past and been called out on it, he will be everyone's new favourite player and potentially our one true superstar, those three together in the middle will give us a serious shot and doing very well next season. Obviously we need our wide players to all step up and desperately need a striker. I've got no issues around our defence, even with the injuries and Silva's age.

We will see a different side of our full backs under Poch, he even had Danny Rose looking world class and they will be key. Honestly I think, as long as we get Caicedo and a striker and  don't suffer any more injuries in key positions we could go close. Really close.

Fair enough. Thanks bro 🙌🏻

Bit concerning if we are considering selling Gallagher - and I suspect we are tbh because Nizaar and Felix are pretty reliable, and also because it would be typically short sighted of us! 

I’m not sure who posted a few pages back, but I really hope we aren’t going to go into the season with Enzo, Caceido (?), Santos and Casadei.  That would be horribly risky. Ie imagine Caceido gets a relatively minor 4 week injury in December which rules him out for 7 or 8 matches.  Santos has just turned 19, Casadei just 20 and neither have played a single minute in the PL!! 

I really like both as prospects, but they should both go on loan next season, OR take positions 4/5/6 in CM,  not 3/4.  Casadei could probably be third choice CAM too. 

We need to sign Caceido (or A N Other) quickly, and keep Gallagher and Chukwuemeka around. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

According to reports on Facebook, Brighton still want Colwill and want him as part of the deal again. 

It really is time to tell them to meet their budget defect without our money. 

One of my first thoughts when news of Fofana's injury broke was "that'll annoy Brighton". If there was any chance of Colwill going before then, it evaporated the second we lost one of our CBs to injury. Brighton are canny operators, so I'd give them the credit of knowing this and not running out of time pursuing an unobtainable player. 

We're going to have to pay £100m for Caicedo. I expect we will, but will try to play chicken and will do it late on.

2 hours ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

Hazard was a good scout, but haven't been many since. 

• Agree 1

44 minutes ago, Thiago97 said:

I suspect we would get either Camavigna or Tchouamani for less than £100m. I also think both are better footballers than Caicedo. 
This is why I maintain we do have other options here. 
we should make a final offer , £85m or whatever it is . Be clear with Brighton and Caicedo team that this is the final offer. Then if they reject that, they are likely to have to deal with an unhappy player. We then go elsewhere. No BS involved, we just move on and sign an alternative.

Exactly, both have performed at a much higher standard and I wonder if Real need to recoup the outlay on Bellingham.

8 hours ago, Original 21 said:

Also a number of rumours linking us to other midfielders like Olise and Kudus. 

Olise is a winger though isn’t he? Kudus is an attacking mid, we need to focus on deeper playing midfielders in the vein of Caicedo who we could yet walk away from, because Brighton aren’t shifting that price tag. 

Edited by Floyd25