Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

1 hour ago, Thiago97 said:

Well no he wouldn’t be worth that in terms of him as a player. He would be worth that to West Ham though and as they are going to be the ones who decide when to sell (in this hypothetical situation )and if a club is willing to buy at say £65 million, then those clubs and the market to some degree, sets that as his value in the market at the time. 
It’s the same reasons why Zaha has never left Palace for money. We all know he is not a £70-£80 million pound player and that’s why no club payed it, but he was worth that to Palace whilst under contract. 
If we all agree that Gallagher will do well at West Ham (serious injury permitted) then his value does go up when he leaves.

That’s just how football works for a player of Gallaghers age and standing. 

Oh jeez. He would be bought with the assumption he'd develop and play an important role in their team, and subsequently increase in value. The fact that we think it's a fairly sure bet he'd do that based on his games at Chelsea and at Palace before Chelsea, will actually, believe it or not, be factored into any selling price. 

Clubs can easily decide unsellable players have a price if they decide they need to fund)make room in the squad for another acquisition.

If a club names an outrageous price doesn't make that a player's value or mean they wouldn't accept less than that.

What I think we all agree on is that Gallagher shouldn't be sold.

Menger and Jevons - subjective theory of value. Assuming trade is voluntary, both buyer and seller will trade if they perceive that the value of the goods, labour or money they receive is higher than the value of goods, labour or money they give away.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

Romano on his daily briefing video thing he does saying talks are still ongoing with Caicedo and have not broken down, contrary to other reports.

Let's be honest, when a player wants to go, these things generally find a way. 

It wouldn't surprise me if the delay was while BHA search for his replacement. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, martin1905 said:

I think we differ on what constitutes leadership and experience, I mean we had senior players last season, and in Jose's second spell and under Frank in the second season and those senior players showed absolutely no leadership, quite the opposite in fact. The same could be said for Liverpool and Real Madrid last season, England in numerous tournaments, Brazil, Italy and Germany in recent times, France after they world cup in 98, the list of examples is pretty endless.

It's very easy to just say 'we have too many young players, not enough 'senior' players so will get overrun'. There's a lot more to it than that and we have seen, on numerous times that when the going gets really tough seniority counts for nothing. Worse in fact, the senior players are the ones more likely to down tools and abandon ship.

I will take young, hungry players with everything to prove above more 'senior' pros like Havertz, Pulisic, Mount, Kovacic, Aubameyang, Lukaku, Koulibaly, Ziyech all day, every day.

Hard to disagree with you at all here.  The character of our players over the last 6-7 years is something I had questioned long before the catastrophe of last season and the admirable cull of the playing squad we've seen this close season. 

43 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

Romano on his daily briefing video thing he does saying talks are still ongoing with Caicedo and have not broken down, contrary to other reports.

I'd be happy enough if we pulled the plug tbh. There are other targets out there we can go for, Brighton have been playing Billy Big Bo**ocks, saying stuff in public about one of our players that they really shouldn't and fleeced us for two duds last year.  

Move on to other targets and leave them with an unhappy player, no money in and no Colwill. They've more than earned it as far as i'm concerned. 

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Original 21 said:

Not sure but I think I read there was a €40m release clause. 

Also the negotiations don't tend to be that tricky with clubs that are acting in good faith (i.e. Not Brighton or Man Utd). 

There were no big bumps in the road with Kovacic going to Man City or Nkunku and Jackson arriving here from Leipzig or Villarreal. 

From what I understand Kudus plays across the AM/RW/ST positions, so in essence is a forward for ease of explanation. Seems like Ajax fans express that he's not really improved much over the last few years and his quite inept tactically.

£40m seems a little steep for a player Ajax fans aren't overly pressed with losing, but I suppose we'll see what happens. 

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

From what I understand Kudus plays across the AM/RW/ST positions, so in essence is a forward for ease of explanation. Seems like Ajax fans express that he's not really improved much over the last few years and his quite inept tactically.

£40m seems a little steep for a player Ajax fans aren't overly pressed with losing, but I suppose we'll see what happens. 

So essentially he's Gallagher but without two seasons of Premier league experience behind him. 

As someone said earlier if Gallagher was African or South American they'd be all over him. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

7 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

So essentially he's Gallagher but without two seasons of Premier league experience behind him. 

As someone said earlier if Gallagher was African or South American they'd be all over him. 

In a sense, yeah. Seems like a utility player that won't be suitable for the pivot in any way, shape or form, and is at best likely to probably backup Nkunku if we're to believe he'll primary be used centrally like it seems was the case at Ajax. Otherwise he'd be competing with Madueke on the right, but that also seems so-so if we're actually serious on signing Olise. 

£40m to basically replace one backup option for another, that's better technically than Gallagher but arguably worse in terms of actual  overall game. 

Edited by xceleryx

31 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

18 goals and 7 assists in 42 games last season is pretty good.

Last season was the first year he's played further forward and out wide too, the previous two years he played much deeper so sounds like a bit of sour grapes from Ajax fans.

Or he could be another Ziyech.

I hate the fact that we are going to end up with hardly any academy players in the squad and replacing that innate commitment and emotional attachment with players having no prior connection with or feeling for the club, without any drastic improvement in skill and talent. It strikes me that this policy is purely a balance sheet exercise in realising our assets and amortising our liabilities. Pretty facile really and totally in keeping with the mind that brought you Graham Potter and a 12 man football team.

Edited by RDCW

1 minute ago, Morgs said:

We play a back five.

Caicedo/Casadei and Enzo/Santos in the middle, front three of Mudryk, Sterling and Jackson? Nkunku and Madueke their cover?

So Kudus would play where?

I don't think it'll be a back 5 under Poch, I think we'll be back to 4 at the back in a 4231 formation.

Nkunku is in the middle of the 3 behind Jackson as a lone striker and Kudos the backup to Nkunku (would be my guess).

The squad seems to be shaping up as such:

Kepa/GK2/Bettinelli

James/Gusto - Silva/Chalobah - Colwill/Badiashile - Chilwell/Cucurella

Enzo/Casadei - CM2/Santos

Madueke/RW2 - Nkunku/Gallagher/AM2 - Muryk/Sterling

Jackson/Broja/STK2

Could be some different names in the CM positions. Maybe a place for Maatsen and Chukwuemeka, but more than likely out on loan.

Agreed, but I would imagine that, in possession, one of the two at the base of midfield would become part of a three at the back and the backs would go forward. This gives us extra width. Alternatively, when Cucurella is the left-back, he might advance into midfield in possession a la Stones for Man City as he seemed to be doing that against Brighton. I think the aim is to get better control of the midfield and to push AMs further forward. So, I think we will still see three at the back even when they line up as a four.

14 minutes ago, RDCW said:

Or he could be another Ziyech.

I hate the fact that we are going to end up with hardly any academy players in the squad and replacing that innate commitment and emotional attachment with players having no prior connection with or feeling for the club.

He could be but it's unfair to say, at least on paper he hadn't improved.

His last three seasons.

42 Games 18 Goals 7 Assists

25 Games 6 Goals 1 Assist

22 Games 4 Goals 3 Assists

In the two season's before last he played 20  games as a CM and 24 as an AM. Last season he played 17 games as a RW and 16 as a centre forward. He clearly played further forward last year, played a lot more games and was involved in a lot more goals.

I've never seen the kid play football but just looking at those stats it seems a bit odd that Ajax fans would claim he hasn't really improved.

3 hours ago, martin1905 said:

will take young, hungry players with everything to prove above more 'senior' pros like Havertz, Pulisic, Mount, Kovacic,  all day, every day.

I can't remember you hammering these senior players on 30-May-2021