Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

1 minute ago, ROTG said:

I can't remember you hammering these senior players on 30-May-2021

Probably not in all fairness. 

But there were a few of us that thought 31/05/21 was the perfect moment to put about half a dozen on the transfer market whilst their stock was at its absolute highest.  Jorginho being one of the first to spring to mind. 

We missed a trick that summer (and about £150m in incoming fees) and have been paying for it since. 

4 hours ago, martin1905 said:
5 hours ago, ROTG said:

I think we differ on what constitutes leadership and experience, I mean we had senior players last season, and in Jose's second spell and under Frank in the second season and those senior players showed absolutely no leadership, quite the opposite in fact. The same could be said for Liverpool and Real Madrid last season, England in numerous tournaments, Brazil, Italy and Germany in recent times, France after they world cup in 98, the list of examples is pretty endless.

The same could be argued about those team winning things with a young squad. There need to be a balance which IMO the squad is lacking. 

Who did JT learn his trade with?

36 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

I don't think it'll be a back 5 under Poch, I think we'll be back to 4 at the back in a 4231 formation.

Nkunku is in the middle of the 3 behind Jackson as a lone striker and Kudos the backup to Nkunku (would be my guess).

The squad seems to be shaping up as such:

Kepa/GK2/Bettinelli

James/Gusto - Silva/Chalobah - Colwill/Badiashile - Chilwell/Cucurella

Enzo/Casadei - CM2/Santos

Madueke/RW2 - Nkunku/Gallagher/AM2 - Muryk/Sterling

Jackson/Broja/STK2

Could be some different names in the CM positions. Maybe a place for Maatsen and Chukwuemeka, but more than likely out on loan.

Explains why we arent falling over ourselves to replace Fofana - i understand what you are saying. Makes sense. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, johnnybozo said:

Selling Gallagher is brain-dead. Practically the only player who gave a shit last season along with Kepa and Silva. He works hard, hustled in midfield and presses like a monster. If he was African people would hail him as the next coming of Essien.

Hmm....agree with the sentiment of the first part of the post..last line ?....he's not and isn't.

58 minutes ago, ROTG said:

The same could be argued about those team winning things with a young squad. There need to be a balance which IMO the squad is lacking. 

Who did JT learn his trade with?

But we do have players of age and experience in Cucurella (25), Chilwell (26), Nkunku (25), Kepa (28), Sterling (28) and  Silva (38). Chalobah is 24, James 24 this year, Enzo, Badiashille, Fofana, Mudryk and Jackson all 22, so not exactly kids, all played for their country and come from different leagues so experience in doing that.

A pretty good balance if you ask most people.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ROTG said:

Might as well shut the academy down, and go to the American drafting in players for the U21 and hope they can make it to the senior team. "maybe that's TB cunning plan 😀"

Out of interest I looked at the last MLS draft..a bit more later.....the "draft" works in NFL because the "college" feeder system is ultimately the pipeline, and geared up, for the NFL and is a high level of the game (many have told me here they prefer the college game to NFL)..the drop out rate I think is quite high as far as I can see.

For college "soccer" players at an advanced age, in sports terms, to step up into the nations top flight shows why the MLS goes outside the country to attempt to raise the standard of the game and clubs now are making more efforts to promote youth academy systems.

A cursory look and somewhat simplistic overview but until a truly grass roots system produces youngsters (also taking into account the size of the country) and home based talent is nurtured from an early age the draft system is holding back the overall development of the game.

The size of the country makes a truly competitive, self improving standard, league a dream until promotion/relegation becomes a driving motive in the game with regional based top leagues.....Denver to Philly?..check the flight times......

Draft?..imagine a relatively uncoached Gallagher thrown in the EPL at his age now.......

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RDCW said:

I hate the fact that we are going to end up with hardly any academy players in the squad and replacing that innate commitment and emotional attachment with players having no prior connection with or feeling for the club, without any drastic improvement in skill and talent. It strikes me that this policy is purely a balance sheet exercise in realising our assets and amortising our liabilities. Pretty facile really and totally in keeping with the mind that brought you Graham Potter and a 12 man football team.

James, Colwill, Hall, Maatsen, Broja, Chalobah, Gallagher .........A few of those will be in the squad for 2023/24

22 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

But we do have players of age and experience in Cucurella (25), Chilwell (26), Nkunku (25), Kepa (28), Sterling (28) and  Silva (38). Chalobah is 24, James 24 this year, Enzo, Badiashille, Fofana, Mudryk and Jackson all 22, so not exactly kids, all played for their country and come from different leagues so experience in doing that.

A pretty good balance if you ask most people.

I guess we will see on 13-August. 
Also doubt 2-3  of those you mention will be starters.

whoever is right it’s only good news for the forums coffers. 😀👍

2 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Why on Earth would we want to:

A- Sell Chalobah when we are low on quality centre halves 

B- Selling a player to a club that has literally charged us £100m minimum for Lukaku and got the money AND the player

I wouldn't give Inter the steam off my piss. 

Agree of course Mark...wonder how much is "MM" (No, not Him) "Media Mischief".

And..matter of interest 😁...... who would you give the SOMP to ?...I'm thinking GP for my donation but am giving it some thought!

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

It seems to me that the board want the headroom straight profit for youth players gives you.

We sign young players from overseas and sell young players from our academy, that seems to be the model now, unless you’re a colwill. 

1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

Why on Earth would we want to:

A- Sell Chalobah when we are low on quality centre halves 

I can only think we’ve decided we need a centre half to replace Fofana. And Chalobah isn’t seen as a good enough replacement. We don’t need him at right back as we’re covered in that department as well. So he really is surplus to requirements. 

6 minutes ago, Original 21 said:

I can only think we’ve decided we need a centre half to replace Fofana. And Chalobah isn’t seen as a good enough replacement. We don’t need him at right back as we’re covered in that department as well. So he really is surplus to requirements. 

Yes I suppose years of Premier League experience is worthless when you can generate £30m of pure profit. 

Especially if you're desperate to beat Palace and Brighton to an undiscovered gem in a farmers league. 

They're playing Football Manager in real life if you ask me and they're selling out the Youth team for someone else's youth team. 

I'm going on record to say I'm not happy. 

16 minutes ago, Original 21 said:

That’s great, sell chalobah for 30 million if possible and who is the replacement? I’ve seen Guehi quoted who would cost 50 million pounds and isn’t much of an upgrade, seems pointless. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, bertles86 said:

We're being linked to this centre back

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tosin_Adarabioyo

He sounds half decent, Nigerian heritage, City academy product, 6'5". Good in the air and can pass off left and right.

Another teams youth player who's playing at a smaller club than Trevoh but deemed better by the FM2023 players running the club. 

They may as well move the youth team to Strasbourg and be done with it, they can use it as a conveyor belt and we don't have to worry about enjoying local lads making it. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Floyd25 said:

That’s great, sell chalobah for 30 million if possible and who is the replacement? I’ve seen Guehi quoted who would cost 50 million pounds and isn’t much of an upgrade, seems pointless. 

I don’t know who they’ve got in mind. I think this is entirely down to Fofana being out for the foreseeable future. We’ve now got a back four of Colwill, who is still pretty inexperienced, Badashiele who is injured, Silva who is 39, and Chalobah who is fifth choice. That’s not good enough and the Board have decided to bring in a new centre back. I hope they keep Chalobah as a back up. But it might be they’ve decided he’s the most expendable. 

7 minutes ago, Original 21 said:

I don’t know who they’ve got in mind. We’ve now got a back four of Colwill, Badashiele, Silva and Chalobah

Don't forget Humphries.

He's on the tour, capped for Chelsea and could be a handy squad player.

3 hours ago, paulw66 said:

James, Colwill, Hall, Maatsen, Broja, Chalobah, Gallagher .........A few of those will be in the squad for 2023/24

Of those, Chalobah, Broja and Gallagher are reputed to be unwanted by the club, which IF TRUE, would leave 4 from the richest generation of academy and youth players we have ever produced, only 1 of whom is a guaranteed starter if fit.

To me it looks like the facile application of financial theory without any sensitivity to culture, motivation, or the soul of the club. I am a bit worried that Boehly and Eghbali are indeed as arrogant, crass and ignorant as we fear.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Angry 1

16 minutes ago, RDCW said:

Of those, Chalobah, Broja and Gallagher are reputed to be unwanted by the club, which IF TRUE, would leave 4 from the richest generation of academy and youth players we have ever produced, only 1 of whom is a guaranteed starter if fit.

To me it looks like the facile application of financial theory without any sensitivity to culture, motivation, or the soul of the club. I am a bit worried that Boehly and Eghbali are indeed as arrogant, crass and ignorant as we fear.

I used to complain regularly that the old regime only saw cost and price and not value but this lot are worse. 

Their entire modus operandi appears to be sell the youth team who's quality we know to be at the least adequate for the pure pfofit they can then turn  into a greater slice of FFP buying power. 

So they can buy players with no Premier league or champions league experience. 

36 minutes ago, bertles86 said:

Don't forget Humphries.

He's on the tour, capped for Chelsea and could be a handy squad player.

He’s done quite well I think. Could be we want to keep him ahead of Chalobah. Either way, if we bring in a replacement for Fofana I can see the hard logic of selling Chalobah. It depends who we’ve got in mind I guess.