Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

9 minutes ago, Miguelito07 said:

I think the Cucurella news is crap. if it was true Poch would have at least tried Maatsen as LB in some of the pre-season games to see how  he would do against Prem sides. ALSO, no team will pay even half of what we paid for him

Half is fine at this point tbh. It's the maximum we're likely to ever get back, he's potentially blocking the path of two really promising youngsters and he's on much bigger wages than he should be.  Take the money if it's there now. 

5 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

He's certainly impressed me , much better than he was described 

One of the Lads at my work is friends with a Scout at Chelsea.  He was out in South America for quite a few weeks over the time that Santos was playing in that U20 tournament.  Seems like he may have been doing some good work...

2 minutes ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

How do you know…? 👀

There's a tweet from someone like Nathan Gissing doing the rounds last couple of hours

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Morgs said:

One would assume we are communicating to Caicedo's agent: "we are going to bid GBP90m and that's our last bid. If you want to come to Chelsea you need to tell Brighton now to ensure it is accepted because we wont be going back if it isn't." 

I am still reasonably sure we will get Caicedo over the line. I think if we were going to tell them to stick it, we would have done so by now. 

I doubt brighton give a monkeys about Caicedo's agent. He under contract and they got £40m in the bank from the McAllister sale. 

Caicedo's agent must feel a bit of a fool getting his client to sign a new contract in January without a release clause. Gentlemen agreement ain't worth the spit on the handshake. 😀

• Agree 3

23 minutes ago, ROTG said:

And not forgetting 30th May 2024 when you will be topping up forum's annual website subscription fund by £100 😀

If nothing else you can say I'm a man of my word. As are you in all fairness.

Our bet was done long before the rebuild had even begun and it would have been very easy, sensible in my case, to try and get out of it.

At least the money will go to a good cause.

Maybe it's partly why I'm thinking Rice is rubbish and Caicedo is the best player the world has ever seen 🤣

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ROTG said:

I doubt brighton give a monkeys about Caicedo's agent. He under contract and they got £40m in the bank from the McAllister sale. 

Caicedo's agent must feel a bit of a fool getting his client to sign a new contract in January without a release clause. Gentlemen agreement ain't worth the spit on the handshake. 😀

Exactly this. I mentioned this a couple of weeks back. Amateur hour or what!

Caicedo should be sacking his team right off.

21 minutes ago, Thiago97 said:

Exactly this. I mentioned this a couple of weeks back. Amateur hour or what!

Caicedo should be sacking his team right off.

I'd imagine it was as simple as Brighton saying no and Caicedo/his reps being okay with that given they were all getting massive paydays, rather than amateurish work. That's exactly what an agent/rep wants, tbf. Bags of absolutely guaranteed cash right now.

• Agree 2

5 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

I'd have taken it as a given Cucurella is available.

But absolutely no one is going to offer him or us money that makes it happen.

We may need to accept a loan for him and hope he performs enough to where we can sell. 

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

I'd imagine it was as simple as Brighton saying no and Caicedo/his reps being okay with that given they were all getting massive paydays, rather than amateurish work. That's exactly what an agent/rep wants, tbf. Bags of absolutely guaranteed cash right now.

They would make more cash from taking their cut of an agreed £75m release fee though? Clearly , if we do pay £100m then happy days for them. If we don’t and walk away, then the agent don’t take get any slice of the pie and their client remains pissed off.

I stand by what I said. Very amateurish and often when short term extensions are agreed for players who are wanted,  it often includes a release fee. That’s why release clause are far more prominent now, as opposed to a decade ago.

I also think Brighton would have agreed to this in Jan. They were surely happy to make the noise go away at that time.It’s great from their perspective that this never got agreed back then though. 

Edited by Thiago97

Just now, Bert19 said:

I think we can sell, but it'll be for £20-25m and not anything more I reckon

Of course, we can always sell. But at those rates, it would put us at a loss. Makes more financial sense to loan him out a season and reassess next summer. 

3 minutes ago, Thiago97 said:

They would make more cash from taking their cut of an agreed £75m release fee though? Clearly , if we do pay £100m then happy days for them. If we don’t and walk away, then the agent don’t take get any slice of the pie and their client remains pissed off.

I stand by what I said. Very amateurish and often when short term extensions are agreed for players who are wanted,  it often includes a release fee. That’s why release clause are far more prominent now, as opposed to a decade ago.

I also think Brighton would have agreed to this in Jan. They were surely happy to make the noise go away at that time.It’s great from their perspective that this never got agreed back then though. 

Bold bit, guess the debate an agent has with themselves there is "loads of definite money now" versus "maybe more money in the future, but not definite". All opinion, but I think most go for the definite money now. 

We're all making guesses, but I'd say from what you see and hear about, release fees are still very rare in English football, and especially those that are just straight-up "this amount gets it done" rather than contingent on conditions like relegation. More common than a decade ago, sure. That's a low bar though. I guess we also don't know how payments are structured when a release fee is met, can imagine clubs are very careful to make sure they're getting as much of that money as possible when there's no prospect of a bidding war making sure everyone gets a fat cheque.

We'll never know, but I doubt a release fee didn't occur to agents who knew their client wanted to move on. More likely explanation is that it just wasn't valued as much as what was on offer.

14 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Bold bit, guess the debate an agent has with themselves there is "loads of definite money now" versus "maybe more money in the future, but not definite". All opinion, but I think most go for the definite money now. 

We're all making guesses, but I'd say from what you see and hear about, release fees are still very rare in English football, and especially those that are just straight-up "this amount gets it done" rather than contingent on conditions like relegation. More common than a decade ago, sure. That's a low bar though. I guess we also don't know how payments are structured when a release fee is met, can imagine clubs are very careful to make sure they're getting as much of that money as possible when there's no prospect of a bidding war making sure everyone gets a fat cheque.

We'll never know, but I doubt a release fee didn't occur to agents who knew their client wanted to move on. More likely explanation is that it just wasn't valued as much as what was on offer.

Good points. 

I think the other thing to consider now with PL teams is that comparatively, they are all pretty rich.  So where we paid whatever the clause was for someone like Jackson, his club had set an amount that would satisfy them and give them guaranteed revenue, that's less of a consideration for PL sides.  So Brighton can just go "No, the price is now X" based on whatever metric they have (in this case it seems to be a whim).  

There are clubs here just need less frequent cash injections than they used to, so will be difficult and drag every quid they can out of a player sale (often pretending that it's a complete shock that an employee should wish to leave for more money elsewhere. What villain would do that?) , whereas with others, they'll just use the release clause as a sort of insurance policy and bank a needed boost to the account balance.

Personally, i'd have told Brighton to stick it and walked away weeks ago though. They've already fleeced us twice in the last year and have behaved badly when it comes to making comments about Colwill in public.  When the price wasn't reasonable, we should have left them with an unhappy player. 

Edited by Bert19

21 minutes ago, Bert19 said:

I think the other thing to consider now with PL teams is that comparatively, they are all pretty rich.  So where we paid whatever the clause was for someone like Jackson, his club had set an amount that would satisfy them

Also release fees are mandatory in Spain. I'm pretty sure PSG used the release fee to sign Neymar from Barca, which was set at an amount they didn't imagine anyone would pay at the time. Since then Real and Barca have set ludicrous release fees, I think I read Christensen's release fee is something like 500m. 

Also how we signed Diego Cista for a reasonable fee, at the time his release clause was set he probably hadn't played for them much and been out on loan

• Agree 1

Wish Chelsea had played the same hardball game with Manure over the Mount transfer...I mean unreasonable hardball the same as Brighton not just the dicking about delaying the  inevitable but getting as much as Manure were prepared to pay ...can always ease back on a demand. 

Hard to decipher media buffoonery from facts re transfers....not long ago the Colwill "unrest" was bandied about as a sure sign he wanted to be on the South Coast...now we read he's signing a new contract at Chelsea.

Trev had a good tour and suddenly he's top of the "out" list...personally I think he's a good option to keep but I don't see him as a "must" keep player but if Mount can leave who is?

Enjoyed the "tour" as a preseason build up and from a distance it appears that The Poch and the Club got the priorities and outcome right..stark contrast to last season's fiasco over here.

Started the tour hoping that the humiliations (and fiasco) of last season would be avoided and that was about my only hope for the time but even just seeing the obvious fitness and application difference was in its self a success and to go on and actually win the series..albeit of little value except for bragging rights...was a nice smile for us all after a period of gloom and worry.

14 minutes ago, chara said:

Wish Chelsea had played the same hardball game with Manure over the Mount transfer...I mean unreasonable hardball the same as Brighton not just the dicking about delaying the  inevitable but getting as much as Manure were prepared to pay ...can always ease back on a demand.

I’ve also been thinking about this BUT, Mount with his PR was desperate to leave and therefore  we had no leverage. Caicedo doesn’t seem like he’s too fussed. 

• Agree 1

@chara ^

I still say there's a lot more from Mount's side on that transfer than we've heard.  He hasn't ended up moving by accident and they were clearly pushing hard for it.  And the sheer number of briefings to the Media in the build-up had to have been coming from someone close to him. 

There was a tweet I saw a few days back about it not being a coincidence that our transfers have all been quiet and announcements coming out of the blue since a certain person and their parent no longer being in or around the Chelsea dressing room.

Makes one wonder doesn't it? 

2 minutes ago, Bert19 said:

@chara ^

I still say there's a lot more from Mount's side on that transfer than we've heard.  He hasn't ended up moving by accident and they were clearly pushing hard for it.  And the sheer number of briefings to the Media in the build-up had to have been coming from someone close to him. 

There was a tweet I saw a few days back about it not being a coincidence that our transfers have all been quiet and announcements coming out of the blue since a certain person and their parent no longer being in or around the Chelsea dressing room.

Makes one wonder doesn't it? 

Wonder indeed!.....the "Mount Camp" were so keen to get out.almost unseemly so, that I feel Chelsea should have said OK but the fee is X (unreasonable)...and stuck to that as long as it suited them...if Mount was not in the plans why worry ?...take as long as you like.

But then again I am a good friend but once I turn not an enemy to want so little sympathy for "Mount Manure United".

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

I'd have taken it as a given Cucurella is available.

But absolutely no one is going to offer him or us money that makes it happen.

Yeah not happening is it. We would have to accept a huge loss on transfer fee and find a club stupid enough to pay his wages. Given the way he is likely to block Hall and Maatsen he might be our worst signing ever. At least Lukaku has some clubs with an interest in signing him. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

Apparently Juve want 40m euro and Lukaku......... hmmm.

Worth every penny if it gets rid of that buffoon out of the club, and I say that as someone who has never seen the other bloke play and don't care if he's got one leg and clinically blind. 

• Haha 3
  • Agree 1