Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

56 minutes ago, RDCW said:

Hardly surprising when trying to keep us lot in civilised and comprehensible order ! Bear in mind also that MT and the other mods do this on their own time and with the interests of all at heart.

Still grumpy though 😉

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

There isn’t much that Mr Grumpy doesn’t frown upon tbh 🤣🤣🤣

I think being a bit grumpy should be protected by Law. It's an essential response to the fubar we see every day. 

• Haha 2
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

I think the end game is he comes here via them so we can't be accused of buying players from Russia. 

Which would immediately bring the wrath of HMG down upon us once more and the "Mother of All Sanctions".

Nice to know HMG have such high standards for Football Clubs and from such high moral ground.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, ROTG said:

Fool me. One of the most promising young CB in the world is going to cost Chity around £25m more than Cucurella. 

It's a funny old game 😀

So you've already concluded that Gvardiol will be a success in the PL.  I thought you liked to write players off first or is that just ours?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

59 minutes ago, Ham said:

So you've already concluded that Gvardiol will be a success in the PL.  I thought you liked to write players off first or is that just ours?

Lets put it like this I doubt he will any worst than Cucurella

Not forgetting the club spent around £140m last season on CB's to finish 12th. 

Edited by ROTG

On 27/07/2023 at 19:46, paulw66 said:

There is a lot wrong here. 

Tomori was sold as he wasn't getting a game behind the world class Rudiger. 18 months later we bought Koulibaly after the sanctions helped us lose two centre halves. 

Guehi, Mount and Livramemto were all offered new contracts, but they chose not to sign. Club was left with no choice but to sell (or lose for nothing) 

We weren't willing to let Tomori stay, we filled the squad out way too much for young players to even think about sticking around, the same goes for the rest too; plus if the contract isn't good enough then there's little choice left for the players. As a fan sitting here behind my keyboard I would say I'd be willing to earn £50,000 less than my counterparts if I were at Chelsea; reality is I'd ask for the same and more if I'm signing a very long term contract, especially if I've won the big prize at Chelsea when I was on less than £100,000 and the club signs a player who hasn't won the Champs League and gives them £350,000. That just isn't right on any level.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Gurj SS said:

We weren't willing to let Tomori stay, we filled the squad out way too much for young players to even think about sticking around, 

So we should have sold Rudiger to accommodate Tomori or Guehi? 

5 hours ago, Lump Of Celery said:

I am sure there is a baldrick-esque cunning plan, but I can't understand why players who we plan to loan straight to Strasbourg, like possibly Les & Angelo, weren't just signed by Strasbourg and then sold to us at cost later if we need them for the 1st team. Or even signed by them and loaned to us if needed for FFP purposes, they aren't likely to play in Europe so FFP is a bit of a non entity. Apparently we can only loan them 3 players at a time too.

I'm guessing it's probably because they don't have the money, or at least the self-generated funds.

23 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

Ugochukwu confirmed, nothing yet about a loan.

I don't want to sound xenophobic here but I'm going to have a tough time coming to the forums this season and spelling all the players names correctly. I've only just got Azpilicueta, Aubameyang and Arrizabalaga sorted and two of them have already gone. Gone are the days of Dave Webb and Alan Hudson and you only had to get to grips with the odd dodgy Scottish name like McCreadie. I'm getting too old for all of this.

Edited by Holymoly
  • Haha 2
  • Agree 1

Don't get it, what's so difficult about Ugochukwu or Chukwuemeka? Just call them mid-chuck or fore-chuck. Or Caeser and Les. Your call. When I look at the rest of them, there aren't many that are that difficult - they're underlined. There are also a few I don't want to pronounce (in italics), and a few that I haven't heard discussed, so heaven knows what to call them - in green. For the rest, the familiar name (bold) ain't that difficult:

• Kepa Arizabelaga
  • Gabriel Slonina
  • Lucas Bergström
  • Marcus Bettinelli
  • Eddie Beach
  • Jamie Cumming
  • Benoît Badiashile
  • Thiago Silva
  • Trevoh Chalobah
  • Ben Chilwell
  • Reece James
  • Marc Cucurella
  • Wesley Fofana
  • Levi Colwill
  • Malang Sarr
  • Bashir Humphreys (Basher? No idea it he's a thug ... )
  • Ian Maatsen (Matsen, I suppose ... Ian sounds a bit daft)
  • Enzo Fernández
  • Mykhailo Mudryk
  • Hakim Ziyech
  • Conor Gallagher
  • Carney Chukwuemeka
  • Lewis Hall
  • Andrey Santos
  • Tino Anjorin
  • Cesare Casadei
  • Raheem Sterling
  • Armando Broja
  • Noni Madueke
  • Christopher Nkunku
  • Nicolas Jackson
  • Romelu Lukaku
  • Callum Hudson-Odoi
  • Diego Moreira (it'd be a bit weird calling him Diego, unless he turns out to be of psychopathic demean, and I can't spell Moreieira ... Moraeira ... Morera ... oh sod it  ...)
  • Mason Burstow (can't call him Mace, or he'd be instantly disliked, but Burstow? Sounds like something you get when you play golf too much)
  • Ângelo
  • Lesley Ugochukwu

... and it's a lot easier with only one Forfana.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Blue Moon said:

Don't get it, what's so difficult about Ugochukwu or Chukwuemeka? Just call them mid-chuck or fore-chuck. Or Caeser and Les. Your call. When I look at the rest of them, there aren't many that are that difficult - they're underlined. There are also a few I don't want to pronounce (in italics), and a few that I haven't heard discussed, so heaven knows what to call them - in green. For the rest, the familiar name (bold) ain't that difficult:

• Kepa Arizabelaga
  • Gabriel Slonina
  • Lucas Bergström
  • Marcus Bettinelli
  • Eddie Beach
  • Jamie Cumming
  • Benoît Badiashile
  • Thiago Silva
  • Trevoh Chalobah
  • Ben Chilwell
  • Reece James
  • Marc Cucurella
  • Wesley Fofana
  • Levi Colwill
  • Malang Sarr
  • Bashir Humphreys (Basher? No idea it he's a thug ... )
  • Ian Maatsen (Matsen, I suppose ... Ian sounds a bit daft)
  • Enzo Fernández
  • Mykhailo Mudryk
  • Hakim Ziyech
  • Conor Gallagher
  • Carney Chukwuemeka
  • Lewis Hall
  • Andrey Santos
  • Tino Anjorin
  • Cesare Casadei
  • Raheem Sterling
  • Armando Broja
  • Noni Madueke
  • Christopher Nkunku
  • Nicolas Jackson
  • Romelu Lukaku
  • Callum Hudson-Odoi
  • Diego Moreira (it'd be a bit weird calling him Diego, unless he turns out to be of psychopathic demean, and I can't spell Moreieira ... Moraeira ... Morera ... oh sod it  ...)
  • Mason Burstow (can't call him Mace, or he'd be instantly disliked, but Burstow? Sounds like something you get when you play golf too much)
  • Ângelo
  • Lesley Ugochukwu

... and it's a lot easier with only one Forfana.

@Blue Moon.....sigh...I remember when Bonetti was an "exotic" name in the program!

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, chrisb said:

Jakob Kjellberg was a tricky one from the past, especially since there was no such thing as Google back then!

But very easy for us Scandinavians 😁

Btw: I have noticed that English speaking people always pronounce ManC striker surname 'Håland' completely wrong.

You don't use the letter 'å' in English and you omit his name to a single 'a' and pronounce the name  'Haland', but it should be pronounced [ˈhòːlɑn] (think of how you pronounce the 'o' in words like 'off' and 'story')

• Agree 2

Just now, asvaberg said:

But very easy for us Scandinavians 😁

Btw: I have noticed that English speaking people always pronounce ManC striker surname 'Håland' completely wrong.

You don't use the letter 'å' in English and you omit his name to a single 'a' and pronounce the name  'Haland', but it should be pronounced [ˈhòːlɑn] (think of how you pronounce the 'o' in words like 'off' and 'story')

🇳🇴💙

2 minutes ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

And KJ in Danish is pronounced like our SH I think?

Oh, big debate on that one.

Young people do, but it's not correct. And some dialects do and this complicates things so I can understand the young ones and especially immigrants trying to integrate with our language.

The KJ-sound is difficult to find in English. Maybe the closest we come is CH, like our club (or Charlton) - we don't say [sjelsi], do we - we say :

ˈtʃɛlsi

• Thanks 1