Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

14 hours ago, chrisb said:

Jakob Kjellberg was a tricky one from the past, especially since there was no such thing as Google back then!

My dad used to pronouce it "Kley-der-berg" and my uncle used to pronouce it "Ker-jelder-berger"

I've subsequently spent time in Denmark and believe it is pronounced "Kild-bir(g)" with the "d" soft and the "g" is silent./

.....I think hahahaha. @Asvaberg will know. 

Edited by Morgs

13 hours ago, Gurj SS said:

Not at all, I don't think Tomori or Guehi left because they'd be playing second fiddle to Rudiger, but watching the manager play Christensen ahead of someone like Tomori just so he signs a contract was painful to watch as a fan, we have 4 spots for centreback; and there's no reason why a player like Tomori couldn't have been given a place, yet we went with players like Christensen who got stage fright and a Zouma who never recovered from his ACL injury, over a homegrown player who would play well and get better each game they played in.

Well, I don't know how to break it to you........Christensen was also an academy player. As are Colwill and Chalobah.

If we'd have kept Tomori, and convinced Guehi to sign up, I expect this would have been at the cost of the others, especially Colwill. Goes back to the earlier point I was making, we have produced too many in a short space of time to fit them all in. 

I don't get the fawning over Tomori, I have to be honest. Would never have been anything more than 4th choice or so, and perhaps he wanted more than that. As for Guehi, I haven't seen that much of him to comment, but I do know what my mates, who are Palace ST holders, think of both him and Gallagher, and they don't think either are really good enough for a team with our ambition, but like I said, can't really comment on Guehi at this stage

25 minutes ago, Box of Tricks said:

In a minority but I don't want us to sign Caicedo. I keep on seeing people (on Twitter) calling him the natural successor to Kante, etc, but I think that's the absolute last thing we need. He's always struck me as a foul merchant too - the way he uses his physicality will get him in trouble in a team that gets the unfair rub of the green with referees. I'm not even convinced he'd be a great 6 either, which is what we need - I don't think throwing an 'all action' player in there is the way to go.

I'd honestly rather have Tyler Adams out of the two of them (and then keep Big Les around).

I agree. It’s not that I don’t like Caicedo, I think he is a very good player and would be happy to having him at say £60 million.

It’s pretty much what you have said here. He is very similar type of player to Kante, who again is a fantastic footballer, but not necessarily a player who offers flexibility in how a team can play. I would say Caicedo is the more versatile than Kante, but I don’t think a natural sit and holding type role suits him perfectly.
I believe we need a player who compliments the team and the players we have. Someone like Adams , Hjoberg fits that requirement more than Caicedo, who does like to go roaming and pressing and that is also one of his assets, so you wouldn’t really want to suppress that. 

I just don’t see Caicedo as the right fit what the cost is. I would go as far as say he is a better technical version and quicker version of Conor Gallagher would be in the 6 role. Not for me at £100m

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Morgs said:

My dad used to pronouce it "Kley-der-berg" and my uncle used to pronouce it "Ker-jelder-berger"

I've subsequently spent time in Denmark and believe it is pronounced "Kild-bir(g)" with the "d" soft and the "g" is silent./

One thing is pronouncing, another is spelling. Look at his shirt 🙂

Embarrassing, really embarrassing.

Screenshot_20230803-105205.png

• Confused 1
  • Angry 1

36 minutes ago, Morgs said:

Jakob Kjeldbjerg used to live somewhere in Berkshire, and there was a network of kids from local schools who used him as a go between to get Chelsea autographs.

I think I still have his on a sheet of toilet paper.

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, Box of Tricks said:

In a minority but I don't want us to sign Caicedo. I keep on seeing people (on Twitter) calling him the natural successor to Kante, etc, but I think that's the absolute last thing we need. He's always struck me as a foul merchant too - the way he uses his physicality will get him in trouble in a team that gets the unfair rub of the green with referees. I'm not even convinced he'd be a great 6 either, which is what we need - I don't think throwing an 'all action' player in there is the way to go.

Blasphemer - go and say 100 hail Mary's  and beg for forgiveness  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Thiago97 said:

I agree. It’s not that I don’t like Caicedo, I think he is a very good player and would be happy to having him at say £60 million.

It’s pretty much what you have said here. He is very similar type of player to Kante, who again is a fantastic footballer, but not necessarily a player who offers flexibility in how a team can play. I would say Caicedo is the more versatile than Kante, but I don’t think a natural sit and holding type role suits him perfectly.
I believe we need a player who compliments the team and the players we have. Someone like Adams , Hjoberg fits that requirement more than Caicedo, who does like to go roaming and pressing and that is also one of his assets, so you wouldn’t really want to suppress that. 

I just don’t see Caicedo as the right fit what the cost is. I would go as far as say he is a better technical version and quicker version of Conor Gallagher would be in the 6 role. Not for me at £100m

I think he's a big lump who can carry the ball. But as someone else stated above, if you look at the highlight reels on Youtube he does have a nice pass on him, that is accepted, but he is physical and loves the little niggly fouls. Maybe a bit over-physical in the tackle too. 

You'll get away with that at a club like Brighton where the Refs love the hardworking underdog clubs, pressing all over and playing at a high tempo but my feeling is he would not get away with that at Chelsea. You'd see a lot of early bookings and him walking a tightrope after that. Refs don't like Chelsea players putting  hard tackles in. You'd see a lot of silly whistles for free kicks even when he gets the ball, and - sorry to say - a lot of cards as well. Just takes one mis-timed challenge and they'll be falling over themselves to make a name for themselves. Our UK Refs have a sad and greatly lamented (mostly by us) fixation with wanting to be the centre of attention and to make the headlines. Its called "MikeDeanism" - the need to have people talking about you not the game or any of the players.

I'm, sorry to say but Caicedo's 100m price tag will just single him out for the Refs queuing us to make the "Blow For Chelsea As 100m Thug Flop Sees Red Yet Again" tabloid headlines. The media will create an agenda - that he isn't worth the money, that he is a violent and nasty thug who needs to be controlled (think of the Children!! for the love of God think of the children!!!) and that he is a flop even before a ball is kicked. Refs will be looking to target him. 

Of course the moment he gets sent off for us the first time we'll have an hour long hatchet job special on BT Sports digging up footage of every bad tackle he's ever made and footage of his sending off from seventeen different angles and with Dermot Gallagher and Howard Webb wheeled out to say what everyone watching wants to hear - that he is a danger and needs to be banned for at least sixty games and ideally reported to the police for assault as he was nowhere near the ball etc etc. then you'll have someone like Souness, Dean bloody Saunders and Roy Keane hand-wringing about how they've never seen such a shocking booking in their lives and that "someone needs to stop Caicedo before he ends someone's career".  

Of course had he gone to Liverpool he would be the single greatest midfielder ever to kick a ball and would walk on water, and we'll have an hour long cringingly obsequious creaming special special on BT Sports digging up footage of every great tackle he's ever made and footage of his latest goal saving clearance from seventeen different angles and with Jamie Carragher and Steve McMananan and Michael Owed wheeled out to say what everyone watching wants to hear - that he is world class and needs to be better protected by Referees. 

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, asvaberg said:

One thing is pronouncing, another is spelling. Look at his shirt 🙂

Embarrassing, really embarrassing.

Screenshot_20230803-105205.png

that's ridiculous. Who gets that sort of thing wrong??? I mean you are the kit guy, you have one job hahahaha

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, xceleryx said:

I'm sorry, but no. Christensen was better than Tomori then, and remains better than him now. When Tomori was here was had Rudiger, Christensen, Thiago Silva and Zouma all in contention. There is no realm in which Tomori was going to play ahead of any of these regularly.  Guehi's situation is no different, he had all those same players ahead of them once he returned from loan and was never going to get the sort of constant first team football he desired with that level of competition. One could also throw Azpilicueta into the mix here as we were also playing 3ATB during some of these periods, only further increasing the competition for places. 

The common trend, specifically about those loudest about Tomori, generally have one thing in common. They've barely watched him since leaving outside of a few Champions League outings. The reality however is that there's been increased grumbles within the AC Milan faithful about Tomori and his performances - too slow in possession, poor positionally, vulnerable in the air, a liability, and hasn't really improved since his first season there and as such his performance level has dropped. It's actually gotten to a point where selling him back to an English club is becoming a more favourable option by many. That purple period where his praises were being sung has well and truly passed. We'd be no better with him here and he'd likely be in the same situation that Chalobah now finds himself in.

People really need to let the idea of Tomori being worthwhile here go. We were well within our rights to sell him, regardless of the purchases we've gone ahead and made later on in the same position, Tomori wouldn't have been a solution. 

Thank you. 

2 hours ago, Holymoly said:

Didn't realise he's currently injured. In the past it's been hamstrings with him. He looks built for the Prem though.

He isn’t. He scored against Madrid in a friendly this morning. 

Edited by Miguelito07

7 hours ago, xceleryx said:

Disagree with us holding all the cards. The reality is, no one wants Lukaku other than Juve and the Saudi's. We all know Lukaku's desire is to stay in Italy, so if Juve walk away we're virtually stuck. We can't force Lukaku to take up any potential Saudi offer, which would mean returning here in whatever capacity is decided upon. Given the huge turn around in attitudes and moral within the squad, adding a disruptive influence isn't great - even if Lukaku has no involved with the first team. 

Even in a world where Lukaku does accept a Saudi offer we're still needing to sign another striker anyway, which I dare say is going to cost us more than the €40m or so Juventus are seeking as part of any Vlahovic deal. 

It's absolutely in our best interest to get this deal done, even if it costs. We'll be shedding a disruptive figure, a striker in his 30's, on massive wages, and is virtually unsellable. While gaining a striker 7 years younger, on more manageable wages, and irrespective if Vlahovic pans out or not he'll be a much easier sell should it come to that. Far more upside for us than there is for Juve.

Respectfully disagree.

He's not coming back. He goes to Juventus or he goes to Saudi. There are no other options. There's no way in a million years he comes back here to, at best sit on the bench, at worst play in the reserves. He will take the Saudi money before that happens.

I do agree that we should get this deal done, but on our terms. In typical Italian fashion they want to purchase a player on the cheap and charge an extortionate amount for the player they are selling.

Romano was saying last night that Lukaku has agreed personal terms and  they have, twice now by all accounts, come at us with a swap deal involving Vlahovic, which tells you which club are pushing this deal. It's not like we've been desperately chasing Vlahovic whilst offering Lukaku to anybody and everybody.

Anyway, I think this will get done, it makes too much sense not to. Vlahovic may not be perfect, no striker out there we could realistically get is, but he's far from the worst option and with the potential swap deal probably makes him the most sensible.

• Agree 1

50 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

Respectfully disagree.

He's not coming back. He goes to Juventus or he goes to Saudi. There are no other options. There's no way in a million years he comes back here to, at best sit on the bench, at worst play in the reserves. He will take the Saudi money before that happens.

I do agree that we should get this deal done, but on our terms. In typical Italian fashion they want to purchase a player on the cheap and charge an extortionate amount for the player they are selling.

Romano was saying last night that Lukaku has agreed personal terms and  they have, twice now by all accounts, come at us with a swap deal involving Vlahovic, which tells you which club are pushing this deal. It's not like we've been desperately chasing Vlahovic whilst offering Lukaku to anybody and everybody.

Anyway, I think this will get done, it makes too much sense not to. Vlahovic may not be perfect, no striker out there we could realistically get is, but he's far from the worst option and with the potential swap deal probably makes him the most sensible.

Respectfully disagree back - to a degree.

While Lukaku remains contracted to us we remain an option, irrespective of the probability. There's no guarantee he takes the Saudi money, he's already shown no interest in going there and the main priority has always been to remain in Italy. We know what Lukaku is like after all, we can't force him if he doesn't want to go there. I wouldn't rule out him sitting out for 6 months and trying to get a move done in January.

It really isn't this way at all. Juve have an asking price for Vlahovic of around €70m or so, or basically near enough what they paid to sign him originally. We value Lukaku at £35-40. Juve also want around €40m in money included. Once you add the value of Lukaku and the money Juve want on top it works out to be roughly the asking price of Vlahovic. That in itself is a good deal to be making. Excluding the fact it also mean a far younger player with greater resale value, less of an attitude, and earns half the wages. All of which leans heavily in our favour. 

We've had interest in Vlahovic prior to this swap talk begun, this is partly why talks are taking place. Some of it is also that Juventus need to raise some funds and there's fear Vlahovic may not extend/would be too expensive. In no realm would they find a replacement on the cheap so a swap for a proven Series A striker has appeal. In the end there's a deal to be done where both parties get what they want. I don't mind the figures thrown about currently, even if a little on the rich side, purely because we can recoup that down the line in wages immediately saved and any potential future fee should we sell. 

• Like 1