Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

46 minutes ago, ROTG said:

Not for this season. 
No Europe only the PL. 

for a season you could have got a  +30 year old on a season contract as a number two.  Now we will be stuck with a bang average keeper for the next 5 years or longer. 

He's a GK so the number of games are irrelevant . Gk's are rarely rotated anyway, apart from  maybe lower profile cup games.

He knows he is coming in as a No2, but with a chance of becoming No1 if he performs when he gets his chance. He was picked in the Spain squad ahead of Kepa in the last 2-3 years. He is not bang average, but I would also agree he is not the required quantity to be long term Chelsea No 1. I would say they are probably very even, so it should be quite a good competition between the two of them.

He will be a perfectly adequate squad player for the next few seasons. Kepa will be a goner when we can relinquish ourselves from his ghastly contract we agreed to......unless he suddenly lives up to the old cliche of keepers reaching their peak in their early 30s.

Sanchez is one of the most common sense signings the club has made in a long time and for very reasonable money. £25m for a competent experienced PL keeper on not huge money to fulfil a specific role is nothing these days.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Watch these clips, nothing there Kepa cannot do. We now have three mediocre keepers. 

I don’t need to watch it. I have seen seen him play plenty. Watching a video of an outfield player is very different to watching a GK. They are not comparable imo. 
He’s clearly not being signed as our long term No1. He is Asmir Begovic MKII really, but with less difficult competition ahead of him.  
They are of similar ability on the ground. Sanchez has more outright mistakes in him, but is taller and more commanding from corners and probably a slightly better shot stopper. 
I don’t get the negativity with this deal. He’s costing peanuts by todays market, to be a competitive squad option for the next 4-5 seasons. We will undoubtedly sign a new No1 within the  next 4 transfers windows.

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Thiago97 said:

I don’t need to watch it. I have seen seen him play plenty. Watching a video of an outfield player is very different to watching a GK. They are not comparable imo. 
He’s clearly not being signed as our long term No1. He is Asmir Begovic MKII really, but with less difficult competition ahead of him.  
They are of similar ability on the ground. Sanchez has more outright mistakes in him, but is taller and more commanding from corners and probably a slightly better shot stopper. 
I don’t get the negativity with this deal. He’s costing peanuts by todays market, to be a competitive squad option for the next 4-5 seasons. We will undoubtedly sign a new No1 within the  next 4 transfers windows.

I understand he's cheap. 

But he's also not very good. 

9 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I understand he's cheap. 

But he's also not very good. 

I think you will be surprised. Let’s not forget , we have a keeper who just doesn’t make that many saves, regardless what of stats people want to use to make out he does.

A tiny snapshot, but we have just played in that pre-seasons competition in US. We seen Pope , Leno , Martinez all make big saves in games, saves where the percentages were against them making those saves.  Kepa rarely does this and I have no doubt Sanchez will when his chance comes……hopefully he will avoid the stupid errors he can make too! 

2 minutes ago, Thiago97 said:

I think you will be surprised. Let’s not forget , we have a keeper who just doesn’t make that many saves, regardless what of stats people want to use to make out he does.

A tiny snapshot, but we have just played in that pre-seasons competition in US. We seen Pope , Leno , Martinez all make big saves in games, saves where the percentages were against them making those saves.  Kepa rarely does this and I have no doubt Sanchez will when his chance comes……hopefully he will avoid the stupid errors he can make too! 

Well, like most things I agree , let's see and hope he's better than I thought. 

Sanchez is being bought because Bettinelli isn't good enough to be number 2, not because he's good enough to be number 1. I think he'll also count as association-trained as he's been at Brighton his whole professional career, which helps given we've lost Mount and Loftus-Cheek and may move Chalobah on.

• Agree 3

Thought Sanchez looked really good a couple of seasons ago. He's huge and really commands his box well, very good with his feet and a good shot stopper.

I suppose if people want a new first choice they are going to be disappointed but as a squad player I think we've done really well here, he's cheap and classed as home grown, or whatever it is these days plus it pretty much has to have some bearing on the Caicedo deal.

4 hours ago, ROTG said:

You don’t need a £25m keeper as backup to kepa for 38 games. 

What exactly would you have been happy with?

2 hours ago, east lower said:

Currently out in Munich and if there’s a place in the world that beer and football combine better in, then please send me the directions.

Is the Ratzkellar still there? Had a wonderful day outside there in May 2012. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ChelseaJambo said:

Not getting all this 'cheap' chat for Sanchez. It's a lot of money for a keeper, nevermind a number 2 who's previous team no longer even wanted him.

He is cheap by modern day standards. Yeah it’s a lot of money. He’s mid 20’s with 4-5 seasons of PL experience, by contrast we have signed a young midfielder from France with little experience for a similar fee. 
If you look around at other keeps and their likely cost. Dean Henderson we would be talking £30m plus, Sa at wolves would be probably £35m , Meslier at Leeds would be £30m given his age etc.

It’s not really a case of Brighton not wanting him. It’s more a case of something in him De Zerbi don’t rate or fancy. I don’t know the specifics of what this is, but he was clearly N01 under Potter for a couple of seasons and that changed midway through last season. 

I get some comfort from the fact Sanchez is only 25 (so has some resale value) and our goalkeeping coach and board have some knowledge of him.

Not really any stop gap options out there, slonina or nobody are not great choices for different reasons. At least a keeper deemed good enough to be a prem 1st choice at one point, interested to know what the wages will be too.

Quite a meh signing, not excited or disappointed, we need another goalkeeper at the end of the day and I don't see a guaranteed starter option. Rather not be left short

6 minutes ago, Thiago97 said:

He is cheap by modern day standards. Yeah it’s a lot of money. He’s mid 20’s with 4-5 seasons of PL experience, by contrast we have signed a young midfielder from France with little experience for a similar fee. 
If you look around at other keeps and their likely cost. Dean Henderson we would be talking £30m plus, Sa at wolves would be probably £35m , Meslier at Leeds would be £30m given his age etc.

It’s not really a case of Brighton not wanting him. It’s more a case of something in him De Zerbi don’t rate or fancy. I don’t know the specifics of what this is, but he was clearly N01 under Potter for a couple of seasons and that changed midway through last season. 

Just now, martin1905 said:

£20m in today's market is cheap. 

Even by modern day standards it's a lot. One of the most expensive goalkeepers. Is he top 10 in quality to match?

4 minutes ago, ChelseaJambo said:

Even by modern day standards it's a lot. One of the most expensive goalkeepers. Is he top 10 in quality to match?

Clubs in the Uk have only really been spending serious money on keepers for a decade. You have to factor inflation in the market now, compared with 5-6 years back too. It’s not really comparing apples with apples 

2 minutes ago, ChelseaJambo said:

But big goalkeeper transfers don't happen often, and transfer fees have risen in general. Another way of looking at it - less than half an Onana who has question marks, a third or less of Alisson or Kepa 4-5 years ago, Ramsdale 30m and most errors leading to shots last season - arsenal looking to sign raya for 30m±. Nowhere near to the top 5 relative to transfer fees these days

Big question also - who else?

1 minute ago, Lump Of Celery said:

But big goalkeeper transfers don't happen often, and transfer fees have risen in general. Another way of looking at it - less than half an Onana who has question marks, a third or less of Alisson or Kepa 4-5 years ago, Ramsdale 30m and most errors leading to shots last season - arsenal looking to sign raya for 30m±. Nowhere near to the top 5 relative to transfer fees these days

Big question also - who else?

Who else? I've no issue with the transfer. But he isn't cheap for a keeper, particularly a mediocre one as back up. Rationalise it with frequency of transfer, inflation, in comparison to world class keepers;he's still not cheap. If others moved now, would they cost more? Probably, but if my auntie had...she'd be my uncle.

3 minutes ago, ChelseaJambo said:

Who else? I've no issue with the transfer. But he isn't cheap for a keeper, particularly a mediocre one as back up. Rationalise it with frequency of transfer, inflation, in comparison to world class keepers;he's still not cheap. If others moved now, would they cost more? Probably, but if my auntie had...she'd be my uncle.

Not rationalising, I said it is a meh transfer for me in the posts above. Just giving perspective to the 'top 10 gk' argument and comparing ro recent transfers. Onana and Ramsdale are not world class keepers to compare fees to...

We need a keeper now, so who else is an important factor. No world class options out there, its a reasonable option for now and recoup some money later

Not excited. Not disappointed. At least we have a 2nd choice keeper for next season, not winning the league so those 2 will do

Us - “How about we give you 10m more than Sanchez is worth. Then we will bid 90m next week to  separate the deals. That way you get your 100m and we save some face by not looking  like we have been totally schooled. Everyone happy.”

Brighton - “Fine”

• Like 1