Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

3 hours ago, xceleryx said:

We ideally need less of a roaming ball-winner though, which I believe is the underlying point @RDCWwas putting forward. If we consider Enzo to be someone that needs a bit more freedom than he's been allowed to get since arriving, then ideally his partner is more disciplined positionally to sit and cover. As brilliant as Kante was, he was never this type of player. In fact, he required that same defensively disciplined partner to be fully maximised himself. 

We're also not really wanting our pivot to advance higher up the pitch too frequently. their primary job out of possession is going to see them sit in the middle opposed to press high to try and win the ball. In possession we'll have at least one fullback pushed up, the other tucked at times to form a 3ATB,  and Enzo roaming to make himself available in those half spaces for us to play through. There really isn't a need for a Kante-like ball-winner anymore. 

If anything the ideal prototype is Matic. 

Maybe. But the defence is much more resolute and agile now imo. To me winning the ball a bit higher would be great given the fitness, speed and skill we now appear to have in attack. Either way we need physicality in midfield; personally I don’t mind too much where that is.

On 02/08/2023 at 23:42, Original 21 said:

I read that it’s a groin tear similar to the one that Mount needed surgery for. I think it’s why PSG backed out of pursuing him. I just hope we do our due diligence on him. He could be a decent buy, but not if he’s going to be crocked for a chunk of the season. 

Well we didn't do it for Fofana before spending £80m on someone on his third big injury of career! 

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, SideshowLuiz said:

Interesting analysis - as someone who hasn't watched much of Caicedo, which are the parts you think he excels in  compared to Enzo? And how do you feel about Tyler Adams?

His work rate and ability off the ball is elite. He's very good at cutting out passing lanes and making interceptions. Has a proper engine on him and is more than capable of playing a holding role, but he's wasted there. 

He's like Kante, without the ball, obviously not as good because he was the best ever,  although more capable/disciplined of holding but completely different level to Kante with the ball. He's very good with the ball, his passing is top quality.

Enzo is elite with the ball at his feet, his range of passing is absurd and has one of the best long passes I have ever seen. Defensively he is adequate and I love that he's got a bit of a nasty side to him.

To summarise Enzo' passing and dictating the game is what makes him so good but he is plenty good enough defensively. Caicedo's defensive work, positioning and work rate is what makes him so good but is plenty good enough with the ball.

I'll get laughed at for this but I think if we get Caicedo we could push City very close. I expect us to be their closest challenger next season.

Tyler Adams, I like him a lot and for the rumoured fee he's a no brainer.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

Didn’t he have a medical in the US because their doctors were meant to be so good?

LA Lakers doctors are good for baseball injuries 

Can't blame the clubs medical team because the have all been sacked pre and post Fofana medical 😀

1 hour ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

Didn’t he have a medical in the US because their doctors were meant to be so good?

I think it was more a case that they knew doctors in the States that they trusted to do a good job. I don't think that this means they think doctors outside the US are second-rate. Of course, UK doctors have more experience with the injuries suffered by footballers, but I don't know whether that is different (and I doubt our management does, either), 

22 minutes ago, Sciatika said:

I think it was more a case that they knew doctors in the States that they trusted to do a good job. I don't think that this means they think doctors outside the US are second-rate. Of course, UK doctors have more experience with the injuries suffered by footballers, but I don't know whether that is different (and I doubt our management does, either), 

Mmm. I was just thinking in terms of spotting issues that could cause major injuries is all.

23 hours ago, kev61 said:

Kante could have been anything you wanted in midfield.

21 hours ago, jasonb said:

Except a goal scoring midfielder or even one creating regular assists................

21 hours ago, kev61 said:

Ha!.There is couch you need to lie on - not taking the piss but........

21 hours ago, jasonb said:

He was exceptional at certain aspects of the game yet limited in others.

21 hours ago, kev61 said:

I'll leave it there Jason - what player on gods green earth isn't "limited" in one way or the other.

So, he could have been anything, but apart from the thing he couldn't.......... got it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

We should just go and get this Tyler Adams deal done for £20m. We can start integrating him into the squad ready for the games coming up this month. We are not ready to really compete for titles yet anyway, if the club still feel Caicedo is the man then we go back next summer. I don't see any club buying him right now for what Brighton want, so he should be still there next summer, and his value cannot get any higher with it  already being stupidly inflated. He will not justify £100m on the pitch this season to increase that value.

• Agree 2

10 minutes ago, Morgs said:

Maybe I am guilty of placing too much faith in kids but I see very clearly that Poch and the back room team are addressing the weaknesses we all saw to much lamentation, all too regularly last season and further back than that.  There is nothing you can do about the bad luck and injuries etc but for everything else we are better placed. 

In many ways the game against Liverpool will be a really interesting encounter which will teach us a lot. I don't see us winning it, a score draw looks nailed on, but - and this is crucial and crucially indicative - I don't see us losing it either

So there is some progress right there. 

CAREFREE. 

We need to learn to walk again before we can run. If we finish 4th and have a great cup run, it will be a successful season from where we are starting from, and with all the upheaval at the club in last 2 years. 

The key starting points should be 

1) For the fans to enjoy watching the football again.

2 )The players to look like they enjoy playing for the club again.

3)The team becoming more difficult to beat again.

We crack those three things and its progress and I would be happy with that for this season.

• Agree 4

Just now, Thiago97 said:

We need to learn to walk again before we can run. If we finish 4th and have a great cup run, it will be a successful season from where we are starting from, and with all the upheaval at the club in last 2 years. 

The key starting points should be 

1) For the fans to enjoy watching the football again.

2 )The players to look like they enjoy playing for the club again.

3)The team becoming more difficult to beat again.

We crack those three things and its progress and I would be happy with that for this season.

More or less the focus of my post above, yes. I believe we have made a great start in all three. 

Thing is, as we all know, the season up to December is seeing how far we have come and then after December is seeing how far that can reasonably carry us. Inertia is so important in the Prem. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Morgs said:

More or less the focus of my post above, yes. I believe we have made a great start in all three. 

Thing is, as we all know, the season up to December is seeing how far we have come and then after December is seeing how far that can reasonably carry us. Inertia is so important in the Prem. 

Yes momentum is huge. However, you look back to when we won the league under Conte, there was a lot of experienced top quality pro's in that squad who had been there and done it before. The transition from a desperate season to winning the league was quite easy for those players.

That is not the case now though. We have a very important core nucleus of this team and we desperately need those players to stay fit for majority of the season (Silva , James, Chilwell, Enzo, Nkunku) the rest of the players around them will deliver inconsistent performances , aligned to their age and experience, as well as coming in/out of the team on rotation.

If these 5 manage to play 30-35 PL games each. Then we can achieve top4, if they are restricted to niggling injuries all season, then I think we are looking 4th - 6th area finish.

If we can't get Caicedo, we shouldn't be buying someone like Tyler Adams that obviously isn't good enough for a starting role. Reeks of Bakayoko/Drinkwater desparation. Hopefully it's just paper talk. Better to use a younger player that might end up being good enough, rather than a senior player that will never be a starting player for a top 5 team.

• Like 1

Just now, chiswickblue said:

If we can't get Caicedo, we shouldn't be buying someone like Tyler Adams that obviously isn't good enough for a starting role. Reeks of Bakayoko/Drinkwater desparation. Hopefully it's just paper talk. Better to use a younger player that might end up being good enough, rather than a senior player that will never be a starting player for a top 5 team.

Why is he not good enough? We need a holding midfielder and currently don't have one (not including 19yo Les who we know nothing about ). Adams is a very good player, he is comfortably one of the fittest and most athletic players in the league. His energy and stamina is relentless, whilst he is also technically a good player and passer, who tends to favour keeping things relatively simple and letting the better players around him influence key areas of the pitch in attack.

He had a great WC for US and was easily Leeds best player in the league last season. 

The only negative for me is his size, as ideally I would like a more physical imposing midfielder in there and Caicedo has a clear advantage on that front. Chelsea could not handle the constant energy and pressing of Leeds at Elland Road last season, Adams was the key driver behind that and the reason why they completely dominated us after about 10mins of that game.

It's £20m....it don't work out and you want to move him on, you get your money back next summer. No reason why it wouldn't work out though. He would be a very smart signing.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

48 minutes ago, Thiago97 said:

We should just go and get this Tyler Adams deal done for £20m. We can start integrating him into the squad ready for the games coming up this month. We are not ready to really compete for titles yet anyway, if the club still feel Caicedo is the man then we go back next summer. I don't see any club buying him right now for what Brighton want, so he should be still there next summer, and his value cannot get any higher with it  already being stupidly inflated. He will not justify £100m on the pitch this season to increase that value.

💯 

8 minutes ago, Thiago97 said:

Why is he not good enough? We need a holding midfielder and currently don't have one (not including 19yo Les who we know nothing about ). Adams is a very good player, he is comfortably one of the fittest and most athletic players in the league. His energy and stamina is relentless, whilst he is also technically a good player and passer, who tends to favour keeping things relatively simple and letting the better players around him influence key areas of the pitch in attack.

He had a great WC for US and was easily Leeds best player in the league last season. 

The only negative for me is his size, as ideally I would like a more physical imposing midfielder in there and Caicedo has a clear advantage on that front. Chelsea could not handle the constant energy and pressing of Leeds at Elland Road last season, Adams was the key driver behind that and the reason why they completely dominated us after about 10mins of that game.

It's £20m....it don't work out and you want to move him on, you get your money back next summer. No reason why it wouldn't work out though. He would be a very smart signing.

Yep , if we just look at the stats (which we all know can be misleading ) he's not a million miles off Caicedo and he's £80m cheaper! 

If I was running the club I just might take notice of that.

3 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Yep , if we just look at the stats (which we all know can be misleading ) he's not a million miles off Caicedo and he's £80m cheaper! 

Exactly. There is not a huge difference between these two, there really isn't.

If Caicedo was £50 million then I would probably edge him over Adams at £20m as he probably has a higher ceiling as a player. However, the best part of £100m compared with £20m and very likely lower wages and not having to piss about with Brighton, then it really is a no brainer.

10 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Doubt it, their only focus are ex-employers teams "better the devil you know" 😀

Edited by ROTG

25 minutes ago, Thiago97 said:

It's £20m....it don't work out and you want to move him on, you get your money back next summer

Doubt it - he will not go anywhere until he is ready, because he will have the security of an 6-8 year contract, like the No3 goal keeper the club just purchased. 

1 hour ago, Thiago97 said:

These links are hotting up. Can't say I have seen much of him.

14 minutes ago, ROTG said:

Doubt it, their only focus are ex-employers teams "better the devil you know" 😀

Didn't one of our team work with him at Leipzig?

4 minutes ago, ROTG said:

Doubt it - he will not go anywhere until he is ready, because he will have the security of an 6-8 year contract, like the No3 goal keeper the club just purchased. 

He is mid 20s.....in the event that he was only here for 12 months (which is unlikely) he could get a 4 year contract at another good club for similar pay.

Trouble is you want it every way possible that suits your narrative. We won't sign top players under TBSD cos we wont pay the wages . We cant move players on under TBSD because they are on good wages under a long contract .

Genuine players like Adams who want to play football, won't give much of a toss about walking away from a 6 year deal at Chelsea and not playing Vs a 4 year deal at say Dortmund for slight wage decrease and playing every week.