Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

1 minute ago, Floyd25 said:

These owners got themselves in to a bidding war for Caicedo due to sheer stupidity, it’s a failure. Is Lavia even a plan b? I’m not sure they have one. 

I have a different view on Caicedo.I think Liverpool are panicking and desperate because they know they are ill equipped for the coming season.

Let them have him.

9 minutes ago, Floyd25 said:

These owners got themselves in to a bidding war for Caicedo due to sheer stupidity, it’s a failure. Is Lavia even a plan b? I’m not sure they have one. 

Whoever is responsible should lose their job. No way should they be allowed anywhere near a key negotiation again. Just sheer bloody incompetence.  

13 minutes ago, Original 21 said:

Whoever is responsible should lose their job. No way should they be allowed anywhere near a key negotiation again. Just sheer bloody incompetence.  

Winstanley and Stewart clearly aren't cut out for their jobs. 

We need a central midfielder for sure and it will make a huge difference to the team.

Is Caicedo that good?.At 100mil he needs to stand out from the rest.

Nkunku is a big loss but I honestly think Felix would be a very good temporary  replacement.

8 minutes ago, Bison said:

Why do you say that?.We offered a good price.Should we have offered 120 mil for him?.

Ham said he courted Arsenal,us and liverpool.He's open to the highest bidder - that's exactly the player we don't need.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, kev61 said:

Why do you say that?.We offered a good price.Should we have offered 120 mil for him?.

Ham said he courted Arsenal,us and liverpool.He's open to the highest bidder - that's exactly the player we don't need.

No, they finally offered the asking price on the one day it was no longer enough to get the player. This was apparently our key target. 

• Haha 1

No, they finally offered the asking price on the one day it was no longer enough to get the player. This was apparently our key target. 

Lukaku was "our key target".

I don't see a big deal here.maybe he will turn out to be the best midfielder in the premiership - I doubt it but you pays your money you take a chance.

1 hour ago, Bison said:

We got taken to the cleaners. Forced us into overpaying for their second choice goalkeeper  to supposedly sweeten the Caicedo deal, then set us up so Liverpool outbid us for Caicedo. 

I think we should put in a bid for Kudus straight away. 

5 minutes ago, Original 21 said:

We got taken to the cleaners. Forced us into overpaying for their second choice goalkeeper  to supposedly sweeten the Caicedo deal, then set us up so Liverpool outbid us for Caicedo. 

I'm not a fan to be honest. Would much rather somebody like Olise. 

4 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

'Apparently'? Oh well, that's ok then- by the way, who says he was our 'key target', and why would you choose to believe him? 

Not sure what this post means. 

We've been bidding for Caicedo all  summer and he was clearly the senior midfielder targeted by the club. To suggest otherwise is disingenuous. 

7 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

'Apparently'? Oh well, that's ok then- by the way, who says he was our 'key target', and why would you choose to believe him? 

Because it fits into their thinking.There is no flexibility of thought.

We've been bidding for Caicedo all  summer and he was clearly the senior midfielder targeted by the club. To suggest otherwise is disingenuous. 

There is nobody saying we were not bidding for Caicedo.What is disingenuous is Caicedo was top of the list above any player we wanted to sign.

4 minutes ago, kev61 said:

There is nobody saying we were not bidding for Caicedo.What is disingenuous is Caicedo was top of the list above any player we wanted to sign.

Answer me this: if somebody we're bidding 100m for isn't on top of the list then who is?

20 minutes ago, Bison said:

Answer me this: if somebody we're bidding 100m for isn't on top of the list then who is?

Ugarte was our primary target and PSG came in with vastly higher wages. 

Caicedo has been dragged out because Brighton have wanted to utilise Rice's eventual transfer as further leverage, prior to then there was no real price or even interest from Brighton to play ball. Things have only changed AFTER Rice was sold and Caicedo has removed himself from club duties. 

In no world is Caicedo a £100m player and I highly doubt anyone here would've wanted us to be paying that sort of money at the very beginning of the window, however the fear of missing out has put folks into panic stations where they'd be gullible enough to throw £150m at Brighton to get a deal done and avoid the prospect of him heading elsewhere.

• Agree 1

56 minutes ago, Original 21 said:

Kudus is an awful transfer for us to be making. Reading up on him he's not held in overly high regard at Ajax courtesy of being thicker than two short planks, having a questionable attitude and shown a lack of development. 

Then there's the fact he's more of an attacking player than a DM/CM and therefore has no real connection to what happens with Caicedo, Lavia or anyone else in those midfield positions. 

1 hour ago, Bison said:

Not sure what this post means. 

Not that difficult, surely?

1 hour ago, Bison said:

We've been bidding for Caicedo all  summer and he was clearly the senior midfielder targeted by the club. T

According to the media. Who else says that we've been 'bidding for him all summer'? The club has said nothing, as far as I can see.

Believe what you want to believe if it makes you happy. but don't pretend that it's 'fact'.

4 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

Not that difficult, surely?

According to the media. Who else says that we've been 'bidding for him all summer'? The club has said nothing, as far as I can see.

Believe what you want to believe if it makes you happy. but don't pretend that it's 'fact'.

Really strange post. We have made three offers this summer for Caicedo, each bid and rejection reported by reputable transfer journo David Ornstein. And likewise, believe what you want.

22 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

Ugarte was our primary target and PSG came in with vastly higher wages. 

Caicedo has been dragged out because Brighton have wanted to utilise Rice's eventual transfer as further leverage, prior to then there was no real price or even interest from Brighton to play ball. Things have only changed AFTER Rice was sold and Caicedo has removed himself from club duties. 

In no world is Caicedo a £100m player and I highly doubt anyone here would've wanted us to be paying that sort of money at the very beginning of the window, however the fear of missing out has put folks into panic stations where they'd be gullible enough to throw £150m at Brighton to get a deal done and avoid the prospect of him heading elsewhere.

All the briefings at the time suggested it was Ugarte + Caicedo. The fact we bid early for Ugarte only suggests that deal was going to be relatively easier to finalise (until it wasnt obviously). 

Caicedo is a very good player but 110m is overpaying so I'm glad we haven't forked out that much for him. I just find it funny that the directors bid the asking price after trying to avoid it all summer. 

12 minutes ago, Bison said:

Really strange post. We have made three offers this summer for Caicedo, each bid and rejection reported by reputable transfer journo David Ornstein. And likewise, believe what you want.

It's not a strange post, other than to you. And that's because you want to believe what you read in the press. Not a 'fact' though, no matter how hard you try to make it one.

Anyway, I'm done here - clearly wasting my time.

I've been very, very clear on my views on Caicedo, I think he is game changing but fair play to the club for not getting mugged off.

I'm sure if we still want him we can match the bid, apparently personal terms were agreed ages ago and he wants to come. 

If we chose not to match the bid then fair play. As much as I rate him we could sign Tyler Adams, Lavi and get the Vlahovic deal done.