Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

Just now, My Blood Is Blue said:

Brighton are making a £105.5m profit on a player they signed in 2021 and who has only played 45 PL games for them.

Benfica made a £97m profit on a player they signed only 7 months before and had played only 17 league games.

Football is utterly bonkers.

You have to hand it to them. As much as we as Chelsea fans are frustrated at what has happened in our dealings with Brighton over the last 12 months. They have played a blinder in getting the best for their football club.

1 minute ago, Thiago97 said:

Does this mean we are back in on Lavia for £50m? I don't really have an opinion on him, as I have not seen anywhere near enough of him as a player to make a judgement.

I struggle to see where he fits in. We already have expensive inexperience in midfield.

2 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

I struggle to see where he fits in. We already have expensive inexperience in midfield.

Yeah , maybe. He is clearly a player the club like, there were talks we bid to take him last August after losing at Southampton. Even though he had only been there a couple of months at the time.

I'm not sold on definitely needing another option for this season with the lower number of games. I think we can probably get by with the options we have in there, then maybe revisit the situation in January. Presuming Adams signs in the next day or two.

4 minutes ago, ShedMiddle said:

At least we got the right end of the stick! 85m + for Cucurella+ Sanchez! Then another lump on Potter + backroom staff. 

It's not hindsight to say where the money would've been better spent.

We've given Brighton that much money only to see Liverpool walk away with their two best players lol. 

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

17 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

That's the rub though, isn't it. He is a £110m player, because that is what someone is going to pay for him. And I think it was always obvious to everyone he was going to cost something like that. We just thought we had a free run at him and could wear Brighton down. Hubris.

The concern for me is less Caicedo specifically and more we've identified a pressing destroyer DM type as a priority this summer, gone for two world-leaders there, and lost out on both because of money. All the while spending (I would say wasting) money on young players who are, at very best, years and a whole lot of good fortune away, from ever being good enough for us.

We could have made this happen if we'd spent money more wisely and didn't have a delusionally inflated sense of the power we have in the market. That is the concern, much more so than losing out on Caicedo. 

This is a big concern for me. We haven't really strengthed the first team that much this summer yet have spent an absolute fortune on a bunch of kids who, most likely, will never kick a ball for us.

5 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Me too. I would much rather see us get someone with a bit of experience and leadership. I love the fact the club are looking to the future and have invested in a lot of potential, but that potential needs experience around it to learn from and also to help drag us through the difficult moments in matches and the season. Our midfield especially, feels very fragile this season.

17 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

That's the rub though, isn't it. He is a £110m player, because that is what someone is going to pay for him. And I think it was always obvious to everyone he was going to cost something like that. We just thought we had a free run at him and could wear Brighton down. Hubris.

The concern for me is less Caicedo specifically and more we've identified a pressing destroyer DM type as a priority this summer, gone for two world-leaders there, and lost out on both because of money. All the while spending (I would say wasting) money on young players who are, at very best, years and a whole lot of good fortune away, from ever being good enough for us.

We could have made this happen if we'd spent money more wisely and didn't have a delusionally inflated sense of the power we have in the market. That is the concern, much more so than losing out on Caicedo. 

I think we really have to be even handed about this one , had we paid the £110m and he turned out to be a dud the club would be lambasted for cluelessness and overpaying once again .

As an organisation they cannot win , they either don't pay enough , pay too much , rush in all guns blazing or take too long , all depending on the individuals perception of the outcome.

When negotiating with a club I don't believe anyone , particularly one with a lauded network of intelligentsias behind the scene capable of identifying alternatives ,  is going to go all in first time around , I am sure that with only one club bidding we believed we could get him for less than Brighton demanded and it was only the eleventh hour bid from the club who never buy players that threw the plans out of the window . 

Personally speaking  and looking at their comparative stats , Tyler Adams for £20m is far , far better value than Moises Caicedo for £110m .

We can perhaps concede our pride has been hurt a little , but a player who can flip-flop between Brighton-Arsenal-Chelsea-Liverpool is equally capable of adding PSG-Madrid-Barcelona to the equation in the near future , Caicedo was not interested in Chelsea , he was interested in the money and profile which Liverpool despite our dislike of them can easily match .

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Brighton are making a £105.5m profit on a player they signed in 2021 and who has only played 45 PL games for them.

Benfica made a £97m profit on a player they signed only 7 months before and had played only 17 league games.

Yes, I was going to say this. People are pointing at the Rice deal as the transfer that pushed prices up, but we have to look at ourselves with the Enzo fee too. Although he is more attacking/creative which usually costs more

27 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

If Caicedo move to the dippers, what the odds on whoever Brighton have identified as his replacement, our recruitment team will try and hijack the deal? 

It's a funny old game

16 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

This is a big concern for me. We haven't really strengthed the first team that much this summer yet have spent an absolute fortune on a bunch of kids who, most likely, will never kick a ball for us.

Project 2030 keep the faith.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, ROTG said:

If Caicedo move to the dippers, what the odds on whoever Brighton have identified as his replacement, our recruitment team will try and hijack the deal? 

It's a funny old game

No doubt Winstanley will fall for the smokescreen and sign a dud. 

3 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Me too. I would much rather see us get someone with a bit of experience and leadership. I love the fact the club are looking to the future and have invested in a lot of potential, but that potential needs experience around it to learn from and also to help drag us through the difficult moments in matches and the season. Our midfield especially, feels very fragile this season.

I don't disagree with you here. I would just add that Adams is very much in the leader mould on and off the pitch.  He has that Azpilicueta type leadership vibe about him. He leads by example and professionalism and I expect will develop this further with experience as he matures . I expect we will use him quite a bit in the media too, he talks well and will bring a positive face and tone in the media representing Chelsea.

For example, Leeds played an 18yo debutant midfielder at the weekend and Adams was onto the pitch talking to him and giving him advice as the players were walking off for half time and again at full time.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Thiago97 said:

You have to hand it to them. As much as we as Chelsea fans are frustrated at what has happened in our dealings with Brighton over the last 12 months. They have played a blinder in getting the priciest for their football club.

Fixed.

I'm not overly bothered by this. I'd love us to spend big on a bonafide superstar at some point but I don't think Caiceido is that. We've long bemoaned other teams sourcing unknown players who are hugely successful for them. Caiceido whilst young and very good is just an expensive PL player imo. If we can pull a diamond from the rough instead I'll be delighted.

• Agree 2

36 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

have we? the only one I can think of is Gabriel. 

Who else have we signed THIS summer and loaned out? 

Absolutely buzzing for Liverpool press conference bingo later.

"Biggest club in the world"

"As soon as I heard Liverpool were in for me, they were the only choice. I didn't want to go anywhere else." 

"I was a boyhood Liverpool fan."

"The class and history of this massive club is impossible to turn down"

"Kenny Dalglish and Graeme Souness were my idols growing up."

"Klopp has been like a father to me"

"I came here to win the biggest titles'