Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

19 minutes ago, ChelseaJambo said:

If we can pull a diamond from the rough instead I'll be delighted.

I think we could potentially achieve this with Ugochukwu. We now just need one more experienced DM in the mix (who doesn't have to cost the world), so any path to the first team can be a gradual one (and not a thrown in the deep end one).

20 minutes ago, ChelseaJambo said:

I'm not overly bothered by this. I'd love us to spend big on a bonafide superstar at some point but I don't think Caiceido is that. We've long bemoaned other teams sourcing unknown players who are hugely successful for them. Caiceido whilst young and very good is just an expensive PL player imo. If we can pull a diamond from the rough instead I'll be delighted.

Santos and/or Casadei could be that man/boy. Maybe we do just need to throw Santos in.

35 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I think we really have to be even handed about this one , had we paid the £110m and he turned out to be a dud the club would be lambasted for cluelessness and overpaying once again .

As an organisation they cannot win , they either don't pay enough , pay too much , rush in all guns blazing or take too long , all depending on the individuals perception of the outcome.

When negotiating with a club I don't believe anyone , particularly one with a lauded network of intelligentsias behind the scene capable of identifying alternatives ,  is going to go all in first time around , I am sure that with only one club bidding we believed we could get him for less than Brighton demanded and it was only the eleventh hour bid from the club who never buy players that threw the plans out of the window . 

Personally speaking  and looking at their comparative stats , Tyler Adams for £20m is far , far better value than Moises Caicedo for £110m .

We can perhaps concede our pride has been hurt a little , but a player who can flip-flop between Brighton-Arsenal-Chelsea-Liverpool is equally capable of adding PSG-Madrid-Barcelona to the equation in the near future , Caicedo was not interested in Chelsea , he was interested in the money and profile which Liverpool despite our dislike of them can easily match .

A lot I agree with here. I would say that fact that Liverpool are spending that much is probably the thing that gives me the most confidence he's worth it ... I trust their recruitment a lot more than I trust ours!

I do think though, that when you so publicly and aggressively set your stall out (which these owners so regularly do), you need to get your man. The most adept at negotiation get a read of who they are dealing with. Three deals and £125 down and we evidently still didn't have that here, and still really thought we could bend Brighton to our will despite the clearest of red lines being drawn. Caicedo is done, we move on, maybe the players we have bought will do the job well enough, but that hubris remains and is a danger going forward.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Thiago97 said:

. I would just add that Adams is very much in the leader mould on and off the pitch.  He has that Azpilicueta type leadership vibe about him. He leads by example and professionalism and I expect will develop this further with experience as he matures

Azpilicueta never got relegated 

For all the criticism aimed at Chelsea players how badly they performed last season, Leeds players did not put much of an effort in for any of the three coaches they had last season. Which should be something taken into consideration when bring in a new recruit.

Just now, thevelourfog said:

A lot I agree with here. I would say that fact that Liverpool are spending that much is probably the thing that gives me the most confidence he's worth it ... I trust their recruitment a lot more than I trust ours!

I do think though, that when you so publicly and aggressively set your stall out (which these owners so regularly do), you need to get your man. The most adept at negotiation get a read of who they are dealing with. Three deals and £125 down and we evidently still didn't have that here, and still really thought we could bend Brighton to our will despite the clearest of red lines being drawn. Caicedo is done, we move on, maybe the players we have bought will do the job well enough, but that hubris remains and is a danger going forward.

Hilariously , word on the grapevine is we aren't actually out of it at all !

Imagine the furore if we buy him for more than £110m !

Just now, ROTG said:

For all the criticism aimed at Chelsea players how badly they performed last season, Leeds players did not put much of an effort in for any of the three coaches they had last season. Which should be something taken into consideration when bring in a new recruit.

Weren't you advocating buying Mee, Tarkovsky and McNeil from Burnley who got relegated ?

• Haha 1

Just now, ROTG said:

Remind me,  was it you calling for the club to look at Dewsbury-Hall after one very good game !?

Your heading down your very slippy road again, trying to trip others but only tripping yourself!

7 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Santos and/or Casadei could be that man/boy. Maybe we do just need to throw Santos in.

And or Uguchukwu?

4 minutes ago, ROTG said:

Cahill? Left Bolton in the relegation zone. Was that a mistake?

2 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Weren't you advocating buying Mee, Tarkovsky and McNeil from Burnley who got relegated ?

There you go......... confused. And Dewsbury-Hall.

Edited by paulw66
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Mark Kelly said:

Yes - but different circumstances if you remember, I said at the time,  they would have been good as a squad player tactically for a season

Also the were all on a free and not 20m 

anyway that history, and they all went and had fairy successful season at other clubs, and we got Cucurella and KK 😀

Tchouameni or Valverde for 110m - I'd ignore Lavia and go for one of those. We have money to spend and need elite level talent, either of those fit the bill nicely. 

We wont of course and neither of them would dream of coming to Chelsea, but I'd love to see it. 

• Agree 1

Just now, ROTG said:

Yes - but different circumstances if you remember, I said at the time,  they would have been good as a squad player tactically for a season

Also the were all on a free and not 20m 

anyway that history, and they all went and had fairy successful season at other clubs, and we got Cucurella and KK 😀

Don't remind me 🤣

4 minutes ago, Thiago97 said:

Remind me,  was it you calling for the club to look at Dewsbury-Hall after one very good game !?

Your heading down your very slippy road again, trying to trip others but only tripping yourself!

When did I say Dewbury-Hall 

Next

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Morgs said:

Tchouameni or Valverde for 110m - I'd ignore Lavia and go for one of those. We have money to spend and need elite level talent, either of those fit the bill nicely. 

We wont of course and neither of them would dream of coming to Chelsea, but I'd love to see it. 

Either of these two would blow out any excitement of Caicedo for me. I would throw Camavigna into the mix too, as I think he is a very good player and probably more attainable.

This is why I could not understand why we were so balls deep on Caicedo. I think three players here at Madrid who are probably all less money, or close to the cost of Caicedo , yet we seem to have no interest and were just targeting one man.

Maybe they are not available, but I struggle to see them all fitting in at Madrid right now.

Edited by Thiago97
  • Agree 2

On 09/08/2023 at 14:41, ROTG said:

Hopefully with dewsbury-hall come in the other direction 

On 09/08/2023 at 15:47, ROTG said:

He no worst than what we currently have. Would be a good squad addition with the bar at a new height 

here.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Thiago97 said:

Either of these two would blow out any excitement of Caicedo for me. I would throw Camavigna into the mix too, as I think he is a very good player and probably more attainable.

This is why I could not understand why we were so balls deep on Caicedo. I think three players here at Madrid who are probably all less money, or close to the cost of Caicedo , yet we seem to have no interest.

Maybe they are not available, but I struggle to see them all fitting in at Madrid right now.

those three players are not leaving madrid anytime soon. Next season they will replace Kross and Modric. Camavinga just had a stellar season last season

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, Morgs said:

Caicedo goes to Chelsea. Press:

"Football in turmoil as Blues shatter English record for unproven youngster from Brighton, placing their FFP preparations in tatters"

"Chelsea ruining football and the careers of promising young Equadorians - this is a tragedy that should have been avoided. "

"Obscene fees paid with no heed to how FFP can possibly work. Chelsea are a danger to everyone"

"Disgustingly overpaying for a very average kid from Brighton just shows the crassness the Blues continue to exhibit. Putin-ally Abramovich may have gone  but the lack of class remains. "

"Mega money Caicedo will be a flop" 

Caicedo goes to Liverpool. Press:

"Joy in Liverpool as the club shows they can compete with the biggest names with mega money purchase of one of the best young players the world has ever seen."

"Boyhood Liverpool fan Caicedo can go on to be the best player in the world at Liverpool"

"Equadorian powerhouse Caicedo latest in a long line of world class talent Klopp has very wisely brought in with no fanfare. Wily Reds are the biggest club in England and look nailed on to stop a Man City four-in-a-row." 

"Smart money where it counts: how the Caicedo deal shows Liverpool are masters of the transfer market." 

I bet they won't get torn to shreds if he flops as much as he would do if we had signed him and been a flop. 

• Agree 1

Just now, Miguelito07 said:

those three players are not leaving madrid anytime soon. Next season they will replace Kross and Modric. Camavinga just had a stellar season last season

Very probable. Madrid will sell for a the right money though, clubs abroad have always been more willing to do deals.

Bellingham in there now too. 

The BBC's take is that:

While all the noise was around Chelsea's efforts to sign Caicedo, it is understood Reds chief executive Billy Hogan worked quietly behind the scenes to get this deal in place.

Brighton had a figure they wanted for Caicedo - someone they believe could go on to become one of the world's best - and Hogan's approach allowed Liverpool to get there.

It left Chelsea out-negotiated and out-manoeuvred and may deliver to Klopp one of the most exciting talents in the Premier League - albeit at a fee that reflects that.

Put another way, Hogan made an offer that exceeded the asking price by £11m (allegedly) and now my job is to sell this to LFC fans as a good deal.

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Morgs said:

Caicedo goes to Chelsea. Press:

"Football in turmoil as Blues shatter English record for unproven youngster from Brighton, placing their FFP preparations in tatters"

"Chelsea ruining football and the careers of promising young Equadorians - this is a tragedy that should have been avoided. "

"Obscene fees paid with no heed to how FFP can possibly work. Chelsea are a danger to everyone"

"Disgustingly overpaying for a very average kid from Brighton just shows the crassness the Blues continue to exhibit. Putin-ally Abramovich may have gone  but the lack of class remains. "

"Mega money Caicedo will be a flop" 

Caicedo goes to Liverpool. Press:

"Joy in Liverpool as the club shows they can compete with the biggest names with mega money purchase of one of the best young players the world has ever seen."

"Boyhood Liverpool fan Caicedo can go on to be the best player in the world at Liverpool"

"Equadorian powerhouse Caicedo latest in a long line of world class talent Klopp has very wisely brought in with no fanfare. Wily Reds are the biggest club in England and look nailed on to stop a Man City four-in-a-row." 

"Smart money where it counts: how the Caicedo deal shows Liverpool are masters of the transfer market." 

These are so accurate one can only assume you actually work for the Guardian 

• Haha 1