Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

10 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

I wouldn't call it hubris, rather we weren't prepared to bend over with a smile on our face. I think there has been a collective tendency to build this guy up way beyond his actual ability. In the end it was Liverpool who were prepared to acknowledge the emperor's new clothes. Even if the guy turns out to be decent we shouldn't beat ourselves up. There comes a point where you have to draw a line in the sand.

We could also sign Lavia for half the money and see him become just as good.  Or we could see Santos and Big Les do the same.  

The idea that everything has gone to sh*t because we haven't (yet) overpaid for Caicedo is more than a tad silly. 

We have options and we need more than just a CM. The money could be used elsewhere. 

Edited by Bert19
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

I wouldn't call it hubris, rather we weren't prepared to bend over with a smile on our face. I think there has been a collective tendency to build this guy up way beyond his actual ability. In the end it was Liverpool who were prepared to acknowledge the emperor's new clothes. Even if the guy turns out to be decent we shouldn't beat ourselves up. There comes a point where you have to draw a line in the sand.

Except, by all reports, we maintained our stance for two months and then made a panicked £100m+ bid when Liverpool came in. We very much bent over, but with an anxiety flop sweat rather than a smile.

We're kidding ourselves by framing this as taking a stand. We didn't, we just lost a fight it seems it never occurred to us we'd lose.

• Disagree 1

The hope is that him signing for the munchers will mean their expectations go through the roof and their fans and the media expect them to challenge City for the title. 

I don't think they are good enough defensively for that yet and expectation, living up to their history etc, is a major issue for them. Their fans will demand success now. 

I have a feeling this was a statement signing to fend off panic after the Fabinho and Henderson departures. He's a superb player and him and MacAllister will do great together but cause friction with TAA as he cant play DM any more and will demand to play RB instead.  I would assume he will be one of their top earners now and we know what happens to squad harmony when you bring in an expensive but unproven youngster on mega wages over and above some of the established big name senior players. Its a tough thing to manage. 

This cranks up the pressure on them and I think they are still a few players (like us) away from a genuine challenge again. Having dropped what we can only assume is the vast majority of their budget on one player it could backfire on them as they don't have the budget to drop competitive money on the Colwills and Gvardiols of this world, let alone a proper striker.  

I still have a feeling we will finish above them this season. 

Edited by Morgs

9 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Except, by all reports, we maintained our stance for two months and then made a panicked £100m+ bid when Liverpool came in. We very much bent over, but with an anxiety flop sweat rather than a smile.

We're kidding ourselves by framing this as taking a stand. We didn't, we just lost a fight it seems it never occurred to us we'd lose.

Mate, Brighton were never intending to sell us Caicedo and the reason goes all the way back to Levi Colwill. We gave them Billy Gilmour and overpaid for Cucurella just so they took Colwill on loan without a buy option. We stripped their coaching and backroom staff and then finally took their backup GK. The fact that negotiations over Caicedo dragged on must have been because Brighton kept flirting with us after each time they turned down our bids. £100m was never quoted as the asking price. There was never an asking price apart from the odd mention of £100+m. If they were serious about not selling then we would have been told this. No, they fully intended to string this out as long as possible until some idiot came and offered silly money. If it had been us that had offered the £110m Brighton would probably have turned that down too citing other clubs should get an opportunity to counter. They are pissed over Colwill and this is their payback. All month we've been bidding against ourselves, ramping the price up. We didn't lose out, we were never going to get him. The good news is that they will do well to replace him now with clubs knowing they have all that money sitting in their bank account.

Just now, Holymoly said:

Mate, Brighton were never intending to sell us Caicedo and the reason goes all the way back to Levi Colwill. We gave them Billy Gilmour and overpaid for Cucurella just so they took Colwill on loan without a buy option. We stripped their coaching and backroom staff and then finally took their backup GK. The fact that negotiations over Caicedo dragged on must have been because Brighton kept flirting with us after each time they turned down our bids. £100m was never quoted as the asking price. There was never an asking price apart from the odd mention of £100+m. If they were serious about not selling then we would have been told this. No, they fully intended to string this out as long as possible until some idiot came and offered silly money. If it had been us that had offered the £110m Brighton would probably have turned that down too citing other clubs should get an opportunity to counter. They are pissed over Colwill and this is their payback. All month we've been bidding against ourselves, ramping the price up. We didn't lose out, we were never going to get him. The good news is that they will do well to replace him now with clubs knowing they have all that money sitting in their bank account.

There was never an asking price aside from the widely reported asking price, and the one that has very clearly now been met.

Brighton are a very successful business, not a stroppy teenager out for revenge. We'll be fine, this isn't the end of the world, but it is weird how some will accept the aspects of the reporting that fit with what they want to see but ignore those that don't.

Valiant Chelsea, refusing to bid what was being asked for ... until it was too late.

• Disagree 1

1 minute ago, thevelourfog said:

There was never an asking price aside from the widely reported asking price, and the one that has very clearly now been met.

Brighton are a very successful business, not a stroppy teenager out for revenge. We'll be fine, this isn't the end of the world, but it is weird how some will accept the aspects of the reporting that fit with what they want to see but ignore those that don't.

Valiant Chelsea, refusing to bid what was being asked for ... until it was too late.

And now the rumour is that Caicedo is having second thoughts and we are offering Adams to Brighton in part exchange. I'd better press "post" before things change again.

• Haha 1

I'd quite happily drop a hundred mil on Brighton for him at this point in proceedings but not the additional 15m Liverpool supposedly found down the back of the sofa. 

As alluded to previously, if he was to upset the apple cart and come to Chelsea now he would be absolutely savaged by the media.  They'd hound him, try and get in his head, all they would want to talk about is his fee and how many goals he hasn't scored or how many games we have dropped points in with him playing. He would be pre-ordained to be the biggest flop in football history.  No matter how good he is, he will never be anything but a mercenary flop who isn't as good as he thinks he is.  Refs would be queuing up to send him off, every midfield wannabe hardman in the league will be lining up to kick him into row Z. Outside of Chelsea, not one single soul will want to see him succeed. Nobody.  The agenda would be like Torres when he came to us but ten times worse, all the moreso because be DARED to snub the greatest, biggest, grandest and classiest football institution English football has ever seen. You don't turn your back on them to go to classless moneybags crisis club Chelsea.  You just don't. It is suicide. The media will absolutely crucify him. If his agents and representatives are worth their salt they must know that. 

• Agree 1

Just now, Holymoly said:

And now the rumour is that Caicedo is having second thoughts and we are offering Adams to Brighton in part exchange. I'd better press "post" before things change again.

Please God let it happen. I just want to see the Scousers seethe (and also my Arsenal supporting friends who are tearing me to shreds right now in our 7 a side WhatsApp group). 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

So, we buy Adams, and use him in the deal? Is that right? Why not just let them buy him?

I guess if his market value is above 20m, then we could buy him and use him as (hypothetical) 30m make weight?

10 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

So, we buy Adams, and use him in the deal? Is that right? Why not just let them buy him?

I guess if his market value is above 20m, then we could buy him and use him as (hypothetical) 30m make weight?

Yeah, that I'm a little confused on, I would presume it would be a 'gentleman's agreement' that we don't go through with signing Adams, but that doesn't stop Liverpool going in for him... IF this is all true, what an absolute mess!

I think we’d normally walk away but it’s now probably a question of saving face. We were after this guy all summer and to not close the deal and lose a key target to a direct rival is incompetent and humiliating. An extra 20 million to not look like a complete bunch of idiots is probably worth it to the club. Even though I can think of other ways to spend the money and keep our dignity. 

55 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Wouldn't it be funny if Caicedo turned around to Liverpool and said 'No, thanks, I want to move to Chelsea'. Not going to happen, but it would be hilarious watching the press try and spin it in Liverpools favour still. 

he just has! 

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

He'll probably do his ACL on his debut though, so we shouldldn't get too excited

You can see it coming a mile off.  We are laughing now because we know it is nailed on to happen. 

Knowing our luck he will get sent off and then do his ACL on a divot as he is walking off the pitch. 

5 minutes ago, Box of Tricks said:

I hope whatever happens doesn't cost us Tyler Adams, especially to Brighton. I was genuinely happy with getting him through the door...

I think it'll be both.