Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

22 minutes ago, chara said:

Agree it was schoolboy stuff but at an amazing pace and a classic smash and grab,

I haven't looked back at the goal but I remember at the time thinking Kepa didn't get it quite right although hard to blame him for the goal.

Kepa has never been a "charge the cannons" keeper unlike Mendy on his game..just not his style..during his wandering in the wilderness time I gave up on him for what I considered (easy to do from the couch!) a terrible effort against, strangely enough Soton...came out and totally mis stepped trying to block an effort with his legs when he should have ..imho...just got down hard and fast at the attacker's feet...but that reflects my modest game and "style" so.....

He does look a far better keeper now especially if you can put aside the ridiculous price tag.

Cheers, I'm not blaming Kepa for the goal at all, just thought he could have come out better or more assertively if that makes sense? I could of course be wrong but it's just how I saw it.

For what it's worth I'm a big fan of his, always have been even when he was getting pelters from everyone when Lampard was here, and stuck up for him numerous times, along with yourself and DWMH. 

He's never going to be the best in the world and was clearly massively overpriced but I've never had a problem with him. 

20 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

Cheers, I'm not blaming Kepa for the goal at all, just thought he could have come out better or more assertively if that makes sense? I could of course be wrong but it's just how I saw it.

For what it's worth I'm a big fan of his, always have been even when he was getting pelters from everyone when Lampard was here, and stuck up for him numerous times, along with yourself and DWMH. 

He's never going to be the best in the world and was clearly massively overpriced but I've never had a problem with him. 

As I posted  agree with you on the goal..certainly makes sense.

Recently I had an opportunity to pass on some keeper philosophy thoughts to a youngster and realised why I often differ in my view of things re keeper performance...most I believe look at a goal or incident and take the attitude.."Well he should have saved that"...I look at it and think/contemplate "Now why didn't he save that"..a subtle difference?.....A while ago I did a breakdown for my own amusement of the goal conceded from the Forfana incident on the halfway line and all the options and calculations that Kepa had to make at stages during that passage of play..takes longer to think through than the time he had.

Just a different viewpoint,

Added...I meant it takes longer to analyse and lay out the thought process than the time Kepa in which actually made those calculations as the  options unfolded.

Edited by chara
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, FrankLampard8 said:

It's funny this has come up because I was thinking to myself the other day, wasn't Lukaku sort of OK up until he got injured and then did that stupid interview? Everyone acts like it was an unmitigated disaster, which it was, but I don't know if it was for footballing reasons. 

I personally wouldn't ever want him back after the way he treated the club however, we've had much worse flops on the pitch.

I'm in a minority but I'd have Lukaku back in a heartbeat with the new signings as, despite the acrimonious way in which he left, he has historically proven that with the right service (Mark Kelly is typing a buffet-related response) he knows where the goal is.

He cost us a fortune. He's still costing us. The perfect ending is him coming good in a Chelsea shirt and saving us another £100m elsewhere. That can go on a DM. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Ham said:

I'm in a minority but I'd have Lukaku back in a heartbeat with the new signings as, despite the acrimonious way in which he left, he has historically proven that with the right service (Mark Kelly is typing a buffet-related response) he knows where the goal is.

He cost us a fortune. He's still costing us. The perfect ending is him coming good in a Chelsea shirt and saving us another £100m elsewhere. That can go on a DM. 

Agree 

Lukaku is a nailed on squad member next season. 

just think if you believe another spending spree is on the cards. I three transfer windows, the club would have spent the same amount of money as buying Earl’s Court and building a stadium. Bizarre.  

Edited by ROTG
  • Sad 1

If we concede that Lukaku "knows where the goal is" are we really willing to gamble that Mr "pass it there , no , there , just a bit more , no , there , just a smidge to the right , right again , a hair more , to the right a tiny bit" now watch this (puts ball in stands), is going to start acting like a grown up when he returns? 

Otherwise that's the third dead season before a ball is kicked.

14 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

If we concede that Lukaku "knows where the goal is" are we really willing to gamble that Mr "pass it there , no , there , just a bit more , no , there , just a smidge to the right , right again , a hair more , to the right a tiny bit" now watch this (puts ball in stands), is going to start acting like a grown up when he returns? 

Otherwise that's the third dead season before a ball is kicked.

If we believe the hype, we now have a midfield who have the tallent to put a ball on a sixpence, and should help with Lukaku’s attacking play. 

2 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Too old , little value unless we can part exchange Lukaku with his Dad

Sadly Harry would not represent good business. Good as he is, he is coming to the end of his prime. He has tragically wasted his career at Spurs when he could have bagged a load of trophies at a more ambitious club. I read somewhere that his goals are his trophies and I'm afraid that's all he'll have.

• Agree 1

53 minutes ago, RDCW said:

Sadly Harry would not represent good business. Good as he is, he is coming to the end of his prime. He has tragically wasted his career at Spurs when he could have bagged a load of trophies at a more ambitious club. I read somewhere that his goals are his trophies and I'm afraid that's all he'll have.

Cynical Moi?....plus ...unless he has been "silly" a hefty bank balance and a "reputation" for goals at (sorry) a good level club (big fish/little pond) but no consistent performance at the very top meaning no need to prove something week in week out and in EPL terms a comfortable career...oh and the inevitable pundit sinecure when he hangs up his boots.

Has been a good pro for whatever club (?) he plays for and not knocking his career as such but....

3 hours ago, martin1905 said:

I think Ivan Toney is just about the perfect player for our frontline.

Can't really think of anyone I think would suit us  better.

Yeah, I agree, he’s a great player, can get involved in the build up and can finish. Takes a decent penalty as well!

Sadly, I don’t think we’ll go for him, he’s the wrong ‘profile’ for our owners.

18 hours ago, martin1905 said:

I think Ivan Toney is just about the perfect player for our frontline.

Can't really think of anyone I think would suit us  better.

I remember you calling him rubbish about 4 months back……next game he scored hat trick against Leeds!  

7 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

According to MARCA, Chelsea are preparing an offer for the permanent signing of Felix. Not sure he’ll want to stick around if the coaching team aren’t changing.

Might just be happy to escape Simeone should he remain at Atletico.

No idea how we'd get a deal done though. We can't drop another £100m+ on a single player, we're going to be without European football as a whole if things carry on as they are, and those sell in the summer are going to help offset what we've already spent rather than create more spending room. 

Unless we can extend his loan or Atletico are willing to take several players in exchange, I can't see how we get any permanent deal done. 

4 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

He'd need to go on a serious diet or else just give him a tent to set up camp in the penalty area.

I know we all despise him currently for the condition he was in and the way in which he engineered the move but the best case scenario for us as a club is for him to thrive here with the service provided by the new players.

We don't have to like him. 

1 hour ago, Ham said:

I know we all despise him currently for the condition he was in and the way in which he engineered the move but the best case scenario for us as a club is for him to thrive here with the service provided by the new players.

We don't have to like him. 

To keep MK happy. 
Maybe the following scenario will unfold. 
spuds qualify for CL, Conte stays, Daniel sells HK, and takes Lukaku on a season loan. “Because he will not buy him”

On 17/02/2023 at 15:26, chara said:

Cynical Moi?....plus ...unless he has been "silly" a hefty bank balance and a "reputation" for goals at (sorry) a good level club (big fish/little pond) but no consistent performance at the very top meaning no need to prove something week in week out and in EPL terms a comfortable career...oh and the inevitable pundit sinecure when he hangs up his boots.

Has been a good pro for whatever club (?) he plays for and not knocking his career as such but....

I don't blame Kane think his contract renewal timed with Mourinho coming to the club and then he thought they would win silverware. He thought wrongly yet understandably.

He has beaten Jimmy Greaves goal scoring record so will be part of the Spurs club history for some time.

Just a shame for him and the EPL he never made it to a more progressive club. 

• Agree 1

On 19/02/2023 at 14:44, My Blood Is Blue said:

According to MARCA, Chelsea are preparing an offer for the permanent signing of Felix. Not sure he’ll want to stick around if the coaching team aren’t changing.

Another expensive AM that scores about 7 a season? Sounds very us.  

He's clearly very talented, but unless he starts making a difference by winning us games very quickly, we absolutely have other areas we should be spending in before making him permanent.  

3 hours ago, exiledblue said:

Tammy....please god no. Couldnt score with us, dropped from England set up and cant score here in Italy.

Osimhen is the only striker worth looking at here, and even then I am not sure as so many dont make the leap to the Prem. as the difference now is so great

Vlahovic? Has the sort of swagger we seem to be missing. 

Assuming Nkunku is still coming and hasn't seen the recent horror show and changed his mind, i'm assuming it's him +1 this summer right? Fofana likely loaned out (though he should get a go now, can he really be worse than Havertz?) and maybe the returning Broja completes the group? 

1 hour ago, Bert19 said:

Another expensive AM that scores about 7 a season? Sounds very us.  

Yes but if we can get him but offload some of the wasters we will have upgraded. Ziyech is always uninterested and Pulisic is always injured. Sterling and Havertz also promise a lot but dont deliver enough. We need quality not quantity.