Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

2 hours ago, Ham said:

We'll have a squad set up for years already.  We won't need to spend much at all over the coming windows. 

Good work TBSD. I'm sure you'll agree.

At the cost of a billion you would hope it would be a squad of world beaters. Let see how how many trophy's are added to the trophy room in the coming seasons. Also the club is set up for year why is the coach on a two year contract? 

it's being mentioned on your favorite channel SSN, that should Caseido and Lavia deals go through the club will be in breach of FFP next June unless the squad is trimmed

6 minutes ago, ROTG said:

At the cost of a billion you would hope it would be a squad of world beaters. Let see how how many trophy's are added to the trophy room in the coming seasons. Also the club is set up for year why is the coach on a two year contract? 

it's being mentioned on your favorite channel SSN, that should Caseido and Lavia deals go through the club will be in breach of FFP next June unless the squad is trimmed

This is fair but as Ham says we have built a young squad (on very long contracts I should add) so this level of spending won’t be necessary for some time. And while we cannot control market forces in terms of price I agree we have to win some stuff soon. For me, this season, top 4 is the main thing and if we win a cup then that would be amazing.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

This is fair but as Ham says we have built a young squad (on very long contracts I should add) so this level of spending won’t be necessary for some time. And while we cannot control market forces in terms of price I agree we have to win some stuff soon. For me, this season, top 4 is the main thing and if we win a cup then that would be amazing.

Top 5 gets Champions League this season btw. We should get that and have two cup runs this season. Anything else would be a massive failure. 

• Agree 1

57 minutes ago, Bison said:

Top 5 gets Champions League this season btw. We should get that and have two cup runs this season. Anything else would be a massive failure. 

Not this season. I think it's touted for next.

Let's try and make it to the end of the season with the same manager first.

Edited by Spawton
  • Haha 2
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Spawton said:

Not this season. I think it's touted for next.

Let's try and make it to the end of the season with the same manager first.

Just checked again and I'm correct. Whoever finishes 5th this year qualifies for the 24/25 campaign of the Champions League.

The Champions League increases from 32 to 36 teams in 24/25 with two additional places going to leagues with the best coefficients (Premier League being one as things stand). 

What a mad twist of events. Never boring following this club! 

Alightly worried though that we will have spent £270m on Enzo, Caicedo and Lavia. It’s an awful lot of money. We can’t afford either of them not being a perfect fit for us. So let’s hope we know what we are doing! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Agree: the lion is a great one. Hope his paw is off his head on Sunday, really up for this one. Thanks to a bad reaction to medication, I’ve been TT for a month or two, but I might just make an exception come Sunday …

30 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

What a mad twist of events. Never boring following this club! 

Alightly worried though that we will have spent £270m on Enzo, Caicedo and Lavia. It’s an awful lot of money. We can’t afford either of them not being a perfect fit for us. So let’s hope we know what we are doing! 

Yep, they need to be the core of our midfield for the next 10 years and be bloody good!

5 minutes ago, Blue Moon said:

Agree: the lion is a great one. Hope his paw is off his head on Sunday, really up for this one. Thanks to a bad reaction to medication, I’ve been TT for a month or two, but I might just make an exception come Sunday …

Get well soon blue moon 

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

So what was the Tyler Adams thing all about. That part isn't making any sense. Unless it's weirdly part of the negotiations for Caicedo for us to step away from Adams and let Brighton have him?

I initially assumed that in stumping up the extra £ for Caicedo, we had to sacrifice the £20m spend on Adams, but there are reports this morning that the first part of his medical revealed he could be out for another 4 months and we weren’t keen. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Blue Kratos said:

Get well soon blue moon 

Nothing too serious, but thanks for the thought. Just ann allergy to gout medication due to consumption of too much Singha = itchy spots top to toe. Life on the wagon has resulted in a new lease of life, so there’s a silver lining.

• Like 1

Thought you might enjoy this - culled from Tripadvisor of all places:

...why is it called "Liverpool" but the "Liver Birds" are pronounced differently?

No one really knows why, but the follow offer's some form of explanation. In the 13th century King John of England developed a fishing port to help guard the Irish sea and to carry his troops across to Ireland. The port was named Lerpoole.

The original city seal contained an Eagle in it's design but was lost during a siege in 17th century. The resultant copy used in the towns coat of arms thereafter was so poorly copied that the artist's thought the bird was actually a cormorant rather than an eagle and as such painted a piece of seaweed (or Laver as it was known) in its beak - cormorants were regularly seen building their nests with seaweed/laver.

Because of the differences of opinion as to what the bird was it became known as the Laver bird. It is therefore a made up creature based on an Eagle and a Cormorant.

Lerpoole and Laver Bird became inextricably linked with the bird becoming the symbol of the city and over time the spellings of each became more uniform. i.e. over time Lerpool developed into Liverpool. Laver bird coming from Liverpool was probably conveniantly changed to Liver bird to reflect their bond. However, the slight differences in the pronounciation of the two names remains to this day, testimont to the fact that their origins were different and their similarity merely a coincidence.

All very obscure, with the truth being that no-one really knows.....

So the dickybird is an amalgam of a common shag and an eagle - a shitehawk might be more appropriate.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, Ham said:

We'll have a squad set up for years already.  We won't need to spend much at all over the coming windows. 

The board have done what a good number of fans wanted to see which was a huge rebuild with a lot of young, energetic players with potential to grown into a top team. That part is largely done and credit to TB and co. Only time will tell if the huge financial gamble will pay off. We will be in the deep stuff for years if it doesn't.🤯

Edited by boratsbrother

1 hour ago, boratsbrother said:

The board have done what a good number of fans wanted to see which was a huge rebuild with a lot of young, energetic players with potential to grown into a top team. That part is largely done and credit to TB and co. Only time will tell if the huge financial gamble will pay off. We will be in the deep stuff for years if it doesn't.🤯

Agreed. We need the rub of the green with injuries and referees too but the Chelsea owners have effectively sacked the entire lot that had destroyed the Chelsea ethos and replaced them with young impressionable players and a charismatic manager. That said, success will be a gradual thing. Have we overpaid during this process? Yes, almost certainly, but time will tell. We've ripped up the club and started again, all in the span of a single transfer window. What other club would have the balls to do that? Any neutrals left on the fence will undoubtably now come down on the side of Chelsea haters, but who cares? Effectively £1 billion to build a Premier League club from the ground up.

Nextplease, the stadium (we're never satisfied).

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

Have we overpaid during this process? Yes, almost certainly, but time will tell. We've ripped up the club and started again, all in the span of a single transfer window. What other club would have the balls to do that? 

Remember when we hadn't bent over to Brighton and I was daft for thinking we had? Now we've had "the balls" to spend insane money. We see what we want.