Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

Regarding Financial Fair Play...

It is NOT a case of "if you spend £600m on players, you need to sell £600m worth of players"

FFP is based on ALL income and ALL expenditure.  UEFA and PL/FA have slightly different rules and different ways of looking at the accounts, but both look at all  income streams and all expenditure.  Some expenditure can be written off, some can under special circumstances, and some just can't.

FFP is also based on three year rolling periods, allows for amortisation, and both UEFA and the PL/FA allow clubs to spend slightly more (in the case of the PL it's a measly £5m I think) than they make.  Whilst player purchases and sales (plus player salaries) make up the "big numbers", match day revenue (ticket sales, catering etc) and sponsorship are also important.

It was recently reported that the club were looking for more investment... some £500 million It was suggested that this extra investment would be 'earmarked' for future stadium development. That may well be so.  From an FFP perspective, however, it matters not if this extra money - should we get it - is 'earmarked' for stadium development or not. It goes in the 'income' column.  That's all that matters.

Additionally, it is clear that our new owners are using their knowledge of sports sponsorship acquired over many years of running US sports franchises and bringing that to Stamford Bridge.  It's early days yet - and our latest potential sponsor is awaiting the OK of the PL/FA - but the signs are that they are capable of finding potential sponsors from business sectors not previously involved in football.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Regarding Tyler Adams...

A few sources are suggesting that pulling out of the deal had nothing to do with 'saving' the £20m it would have cost to buy him to put toward an increased bid for Caicedo.  Rather it was because his medical showed that it could take another 3 to 4 months for him to recover from his hamstring injury. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Yep, they need to be the core of our midfield for the next 10 years and be bloody good!

Enzo & Caceido have shown their colours with loyalties to clubs with their move and potential move to Chelsea, How do you think they would react if RM or Barca came knocking.

4 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

What a mad twist of events. Never boring following this club! 

Alightly worried though that we will have spent £270m on Enzo, Caicedo and Lavia. It’s an awful lot of money. We can’t afford either of them not being a perfect fit for us. So let’s hope we know what we are doing! 

What makes you doubt our recruitment team?

6 hours ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

This is fair but as Ham says we have built a young squad (on very long contracts I should add) so this level of spending won’t be necessary for some time. And while we cannot control market forces in terms of price I agree we have to win some stuff soon. For me, this season, top 4 is the main thing and if we win a cup then that would be amazing.

Mr Door

Building a young squad might be seen by some on here as less recruitment in the future, however to stay at the top in the PL and Europe recruitment is a seasonal event .All the top teams invest heavenly each summer because the game is evolving every season with teams are spending more,.

There is the other factors of say Poch walks after two seasons, is the criteria for his replacement here is the squad go train them, Not even RA was that brutal at least  he allowed the coaches to bring in one or two quality/WC players per season who usually cost a small fortune.

As you say it all about swelling the trophy room pronto

going to be an interesting couple of seasons starting tomorrow

Rodger Rodger Over and Out

ROTG

Edited by ROTG

35 minutes ago, ROTG said:

Enzo & Caceido have shown their colours with loyalties to clubs with their move and potential move to Chelsea, How do you think they would react if RM or Barca came knocking.

It's probably why they have such long  contracts, even three years into their stint with us if RM or Barca come knocking they'll have no leverage other than paying through the nose for them and I doubt Barca who by now must be up to selling intergalactic TV rights for season 3034-3035 will ever be in that position again. 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

It's probably why they have such long  contracts, even three years into their stint with us if RM or Barca come knocking they'll have no leverage other than paying through the nose for them and I doubt Barca who by now must be up to selling intergalactic TV rights for season 3034-3035 will ever be in that position again. 

Eh - Caceido has basically downed tools to get a move and he signed a contract extension in January

Remember Big Nose and his antics?

contract are no longer binding "except for Pillsbury Dough Boys who using it to the other extreem now"

3 minutes ago, ROTG said:

Eh - Caceido has basically downed tools to get a move and he signed a contract extension in January

Remember Big Nose and his antics?

contract are no longer binding "except for Pillsbury Dough Boys who using it to the other extreem now"

He has, and guess what, we're having to spend a kings ransom to get him so unless someone wants to spend a kings ransom in the future they won't be signing  him from us. 

Plus Brighton told Caicedo he could leave if someone met their valuation IF he extended his contract which is why he's digging his heels in now. 

Edited by Mark Kelly

1 hour ago, ROTG said:

Can't you just enjoy the moment?

2 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

Regarding Financial Fair Play...

It is NOT a case of "if you spend £600m on players, you need to sell £600m worth of players"

FFP is based on ALL income and ALL expenditure.  UEFA and PL/FA have slightly different rules and different ways of looking at the accounts, but both look at all  income streams and all expenditure.  Some expenditure can be written off, some can under special circumstances, and some just can't.

FFP is also based on three year rolling periods, allows for amortisation, and both UEFA and the PL/FA allow clubs to spend slightly more (in the case of the PL it's a measly £5m I think) than they make.  Whilst player purchases and sales (plus player salaries) make up the "big numbers", match day revenue (ticket sales, catering etc) and sponsorship are also important.

It was recently reported that the club were looking for more investment... some £500 million It was suggested that this extra investment would be 'earmarked' for future stadium development. That may well be so.  From an FFP perspective, however, it matters not if this extra money - should we get it - is 'earmarked' for stadium development or not. It goes in the 'income' column.  That's all that matters.

Additionally, it is clear that our new owners are using their knowledge of sports sponsorship acquired over many years of running US sports franchises and bringing that to Stamford Bridge.  It's early days yet - and our latest potential sponsor is awaiting the OK of the PL/FA - but the signs are that they are capable of finding potential sponsors from business sectors not previously involved in football.

There are many rival fans who have no clue how FFP works. They see us spending loads of money and pearl clutch "where is FFP?". They think FFP means "block clubs I don't like from buying players." No questioning towards Arsenal spending £70m on Havertz without selling the amount of players we have. United £70m on Hojlund without selling the amount of players we have. Too many idiots out there unfortunately. 

1 hour ago, ROTG said:

Good luck to them paying £200m for each?

26 minutes ago, Ham said:

Can't you just enjoy the moment?

As I have said many times if they prove me wrong I will be the first to put my hand up if they turn out to be the dynamic duo. 

I am just not prepared to put them on a pedestal as some seem to be doing, as one has not signed and the other has not exactly set the world on fire since his arrival, although being part of an uncoached team didn't help. 

42 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Plus Brighton told Caicedo he could leave if someone met their valuation IF he extended his contract which is why he's digging his heels in now. 

Eh - the dippers met Brighton's valuation and he is now acting like a petulant child. Which could be deemed the same as Pillsbury Doughboy and his proposed move to Saudi. 

1 hour ago, ROTG said:

Mr Door

Building a young squad might be seen by some on here as less recruitment in the future, however to stay at the top in the PL and Europe recruitment is a seasonal event .All the top teams invest heavenly each summer because the game is evolving every season with teams are spending more,.

There is the other factors of say Poch walks after two seasons, is the criteria for his replacement here is the squad go train them, Not even RA was that brutal at least  he allowed the coaches to bring in one or two quality/WC players per season who usually cost a small fortune.

As you say it all about swelling the trophy room pronto

going to be an interesting couple of seasons starting tomorrow

Rodger Rodger Over and Out

ROTG

My dear Mr Gizmo,

I would expect nothing than “investing heavenly” from a man of the cloth such as yourself.

As ever,

C_M

14 minutes ago, ROTG said:

Eh - the dippers met Brighton's valuation and he is now acting like a petulant child. Which could be deemed the same as Pillsbury Doughboy and his proposed move to Saudi. 

He was acting up before Liverpool made their bid and because Brighton said one thing and did the other. 

Maybe Caicedo should go to Liverpool and go on strike until they agree to loan him to us and pay his wages? 

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, ROTG said:

Eh? He is a petulant child because he is standing by his word to Chelsea and doesn't want to be railroaded into a sale to Liverpool, having signed a contract with Brighton to guarantee a mutually beneficial sale. This is silly stuff even by your standards old chap.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Backbiter said:

What makes you doubt our recruitment team?

I don’t know if doubt is the word I’d chose, merely pointing out that with the financial outlay we’ve had there is no room for £700m worth of purchases comes good.

It’s risky business signing young players from foreign leagues. You never know how they’ll acclimatise to the league and country. You never know if they’ll continue developing in the right direction. I mean, no one should be under the illusion that we can spend £100m-200m every transfer window. It’s unsustainable. Also, lots of these kids have been tied to long term deals so there’s always that. If someone flunks, we are stuck with them for a long time. 

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

I don’t know if doubt is the word I’d chose, merely pointing out that with the financial outlay we’ve had there is no room for £700m worth of purchases comes good.

It’s risky business signing young players from foreign leagues. You never know how they’ll acclimatise to the league and country. You never know if they’ll continue developing in the right direction. I mean, no one should be under the illusion that we can spend £100m-200m every transfer window. It’s unsustainable. Also, lots of these kids have been tied to long term deals so there’s always that. If someone flunks, we are stuck with them for a long time. 

I agree. My tongue was firmly in my cheek when I asked the question.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RDCW said:

Eh? He is a petulant child because he is standing by his word to Chelsea and doesn't want to be railroaded into a sale to Liverpool, having signed a contract with Brighton to guarantee a mutually beneficial sale. This is silly stuff even by your standards old chap.

Disagree my old china,

I doubt his contract has the words " the player can pick the team he want to move to"?

Shame on all parties if Chelsea were allowed to speak to the player before a transfer fee was agreed. 

Finally - If someone offer you £21m or £11m more for for one of your employees who are you going to sell them too. You might call it railroading, most would call it good business. 

Edited by ROTG