Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

14 minutes ago, ROTG said:

Disagree my old china,

I doubt his contract has the words " the player can pick the team he want to move to"?

Shame on all parties if Chelsea were allowed to speak to the player before a transfer fee was agreed. 

Finally - If someone offer you £21m or £11m more for for one of your employees who are you going to sell them too. You might call it railroading, most would call it good business. 

Clubs speak to players (more likely players agents) before a fee has been agreed all the time now. It has almost become common practice. It is not unusual. We do it and it happens to players we sell too. 

1 hour ago, ROTG said:

Disagree my old china,

I doubt his contract has the words " the player can pick the team he want to move to"?

Shame on all parties if Chelsea were allowed to speak to the player before a transfer fee was agreed. 

Finally - If someone offer you £21m or £11m more for for one of your employees who are you going to sell them too. You might call it railroading, most would call it good business. 

It is always implicit that no player can be forced to go to a club, regardless of the selling club's desires, as you know. Your reductum ad absurdum example doesn't wash either. Liverpool and Chelsea are offering more or less the same amount, an amount which will bring Brighton a gross profit of more than £80 million after a year: good enough businesses without resorting to 19th century employment practices, again all of which you know, you little tinker.

5 minutes ago, RDCW said:

It is always implicit that no player can be forced to go to a club, regardless of the selling club's desires, as you know. Your reductum ad absurdum example doesn't wash either. Liverpool and Chelsea are offering more or less the same amount, an amount which will bring Brighton a gross profit of more than £80 million after a year: good enough businesses without resorting to 19th century employment practices, again all of which you know, you little tinker.

ok let’s  agree to disagree. 

No way we go into the season with Sanchez and Bettinelli. Not a chance.

Raya gorn to Le Arse which I bet yes gutted about now as he could have walked into our number one spot instead of being benched for Ramsdale all season. And on a higher wage I shouldn’t wonder. 

Slim pickings indeed for the rest. Marmadashvili? De Gea? Bijlow? 

21 minutes ago, Morgs said:

No way we go into the season with Sanchez and Bettinelli. Not a chance.

Raya gorn to Le Arse which I bet yes gutted about now as he could have walked into our number one spot instead of being benched for Ramsdale all season. And on a higher wage I shouldn’t wonder. 

Slim pickings indeed for the rest. Marmadashvili? De Gea? Bijlow? 

Donnarumma?

Just now, RDCW said:

Why on earth would we loan Kepa to Real Madrid? If they want him they should pay for him. Once you have told your keeper you want him gone there is no way back for him.

Why would Kepa, other than the obvious reason want to go to Madrid to deputise for an injured Courtois who would get in the team in front of him if he only had one arm? 

6 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

He's awful with the ball at his feet which considering how we want to play should be a big no. 

He is also incredible with the ball in his hands, which is what really matters. 

Does really make no sense to loan out Kepa. Even if they think he will increase his value by playing well for Real he will have a year left on his contract once he comes back next season. That puts us in no position of strength. Such a confusing move. 

Edited by Oslo blue
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

Unsurprisingly, I sit in the camp of taking the opportunity to offload Kepa when it arises, even if it is a loan.  Clearly Real Madrid are not going to agree to a buying obligation, so you take the deal on the table, or you don’t. 

He’s allegedly on over £9m a year - isn’t great with his feet, isn’t commanding on crosses and doesn’t save long shots from distance. 

As he only has 2 years left on his deal, it’s almost certain he never plays for us again.  No way will the club offer him a new deal (that he would accept) and he is still “good enough” and young enough to be snapped up next season for a knockdown price.

So I suspect it is being seen internally as £18m of wages off the balance sheet over the next 24 months, and the chance you might get £10m for him next summer.  A £28m upside on the P&L and an opportunity to improve the team (more importantly)

The scouts now need to earn their crust, because as others have said, no one we will go into the season with Sanchez and Bettinelli

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

I don’t know if doubt is the word I’d chose, merely pointing out that with the financial outlay we’ve had there is no room for £700m worth of purchases comes good.

It’s risky business signing young players from foreign leagues. You never know how they’ll acclimatise to the league and country. You never know if they’ll continue developing in the right direction. I mean, no one should be under the illusion that we can spend £100m-200m every transfer window. It’s unsustainable. Also, lots of these kids have been tied to long term deals so there’s always that. If someone flunks, we are stuck with them for a long time. 

One important factor in our favour is the moderate fees and wages for a lot of our new signings.

If Mudryk, Cucu and Sterling don't improve this season then we will probably have to take significant financial hits on them next summer, but apart from those three we won't face big losses on the others who might have to be moved on over the next few years.

Hopefully, a good enough percentage of them will go on to be good enough to get us back to challenging at the top again. Others might be decent but not good enough in which case we'd probably be able to recoup the fee we paid for them. The law of averages would suggest a few will bomb and we'll lose money on them, but not a lot of money. So in a way, the huge outlay isnt quite as scary as  it looks, so I take back what I said earlier today about us being on the deep stuff if this rebuild doesn't go well.

Just now, Morgs said:

I will stick my neck out and make a prediction. 

We will buy Meslier who will not be able to catch a cold in a Chelsea jersey and he will get benched by Sanchez before Christmas. 

We tried to buy him many years ago so I can see this happening. 

11 minutes ago, Rob B said:

Unsurprisingly, I sit in the camp of taking the opportunity to offload Kepa when it arises, even if it is a loan.  Clearly Real Madrid are not going to agree to a buying obligation, so you take the deal on the table, or you don’t. 

He’s allegedly on over £9m a year - isn’t great with his feet, isn’t commanding on crosses and doesn’t save long shots from distance. 

As he only has 2 years left on his deal, it’s almost certain he never plays for us again.  No way will the club offer him a new deal (that he would accept) and he is still “good enough” and young enough to be snapped up next season for a knockdown price.

So I suspect it is being seen internally as £18m of wages off the balance sheet over the next 24 months, and the chance you might get £10m for him next summer.  A £28m upside on the P&L and an opportunity to improve the team (more importantly)

The scouts now need to earn their crust, because as others have said, no one we will go into the season with Sanchez and Bettinelli

I disagree: the one thing he is good at is playing with the ball at his feet. I do, however, agree with you that as a general keeper he is pretty poor.

If he is on a no obligation loan for a year then that's only £9 million off the balance sheet. Why not let them have him on a free, which would give us the £18 million you describe?

This is bad business whichever way you look at it.

Edited by RDCW

Chelsea set to sign Moises Caicedo in record £115m deal to hijack Liverpool bid

Chelsea are on the brink of sealing the signing of Moises Caicedo in a British record deal worth £115 million.

The west London club are sorting out the final terms of the deal after agreeing to better Liverpool’s £111 million offer that was accepted this week.

Caicedo informed Liverpool that he only wants to join Chelsea, which has let the London club back in and after more than 24 hours of negotiations a deal is close to being fully agreed.

Telegraph Sport understands that Chelsea are expected to pay £115 million, inclusive of add-ons for Caicedo who will sign a long-term deal.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2023/08/12/chelsea-set-sign-moises-caicedo-record-115m-deal-liverpool/

6 minutes ago, Original 21 said:

Chelsea set to sign Moises Caicedo in record £115m deal to hijack Liverpool bid

Chelsea are on the brink of sealing the signing of Moises Caicedo in a British record deal worth £115 million.

The west London club are sorting out the final terms of the deal after agreeing to better Liverpool’s £111 million offer that was accepted this week.

Caicedo informed Liverpool that he only wants to join Chelsea, which has let the London club back in and after more than 24 hours of negotiations a deal is close to being fully agreed.

Telegraph Sport understands that Chelsea are expected to pay £115 million, inclusive of add-ons for Caicedo who will sign a long-term deal.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2023/08/12/chelsea-set-sign-moises-caicedo-record-115m-deal-liverpool/

Why are we offering more than the amount they agreed with Liverpool? That is just so weak.