Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

33 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

The current reported figure is £115m, though. Much more than any reported asking fee up until this point.

I personally think that there’s a bit of competition going on between the two sets of American owners and Brighton have played a blinder. 

Fair play to our lads if they get both Caicedo and Lavia though. Whether they are worth the £160m + outlay is the multi-million pound question (assuming both or either deal/s get done).

2 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

A lot of OK keepers but very few very high quality ones.

I think a lot of this comes down to the fact that the goalposts have been moved (if you pardon the pun) with a lot of positions but especially keepers. Back in the day all a GK had to do was wear a flat cap at a jaunty angle and stop balls going in the back of the net while smoking a woodbine. These days keeprs are ranked on shot stopping, distribution, dealing with crosses, fitness, speed, agility and general ball control to name but a few areas. Some people will place greater emphasis on one stat over another. One man's "crap" keeper is probably entirely capable but because he is shorter than average he can be unfairly criticised overall. Same thing with strikers. I can remember a time when every club had "their" striker, but now, because the requirements of the position have changed so much the label "world class" can be hard to find in the market. At the end of the day if any gorup of players can come together and gel so that the overall effect is greater than the sum of their parts then who cares whether individuals could do better?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, chara said:

That I hope is the final page in a saga of disgraceful proportions...fueled by my buzz phrase of the hour "Media Buffoonery".

Buffoonery a great word and can be used in so many phrases 

Not sure what the correct word is for Chelsea giving  Brighton +£220m in under 12 months if the club sign Cadeido?

I wonder if anyone in clearlake had ask the question of why they didn't buy Brighton it obviously Brighton is a good thing from an investment point of view 😀

Edited by ROTG
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ROTG said:

Buffoonery a great word and can be used in so many phrases 

Not sure what the correct word is for Chelsea giving  Brighton +£220m in under 12 months if the club sign Cadeido?

I wonder if anyone in clearlake had ask the question of why they didn't buy Brighton it obviously Brighton is a good thing from an investment point of view 😀

Do you see anything positive about our signings?.

I see a midfielder away from being at least a top four team.

8 hours ago, east lower said:

I personally think that there’s a bit of competition going on between the two sets of American owners and Brighton have played a blinder. 

Fair play to our lads if they get both Caicedo and Lavia though. Whether they are worth the £160m + outlay is the multi-million pound question (assuming both or either deal/s get done).

I don’t care - it isn’t my money 😁

27 minutes ago, Sciatika said:

We still have £70m worth of players to sell. That will be the challenge for Stewart and Winstanley now. 

Lukaku - £30m
Ziyech - £10m
Chalobah - £35m
Gallagher - £40m
CHO - £8m

That's £123, so we can keep Gallagher or Chalobah and still be fine... finding buyers could be a challenge, but I'd be surprised if they didn't manage to shift at least 3 of them.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Lukaku - £30m
Ziyech - £10m
Chalobah - £35m
Gallagher - £40m
CHO - £8m

That's £123, so we can keep Gallagher or Chalobah and still be fine... finding buyers could be a challenge, but I'd be surprised if they didn't manage to shift at least 3 of them.

Haven’t read anything on Ziyech for weeks and weeks now?!  Wonder what is going on there?  Didn’t travel to the US and wasn’t given a squad number so you can only assume he is off somewhere…

Lukaku is too big a player to sit unregistered without a club for a season, so I’m sure someone will come in for him right at the end of the window, even if it’s a loan and they only cover half his wages. 

CHO seemed close to a move to Fulham which I suspect has taken bit of a backseat whilst we throw everything at Caicdeo, Lavia and Kepa - but expect that one to get done. 

So those three I would certainly expect to get moves elsewhere.  I think Chalobah’s fate was sealed the moment we signed Disasi and Colwill extended his deal.  Given Tyrone Ming’s injury yesterday, I could see Villa coming in for him, which would be a great move for him. 

And that just leaves a decision to be made on Gallagher. Ironically he will probably start today, but will then see minutes reduce if/when Caicedo and/or Lavia sign.  Personally I think Chukwuemeka has the higher ceiling but this is one I’d probably be influenced heavily by what the player wants - ie if he is happy to remain and fight for his place, I’d keep him around.  

• Like 1

So, looks like a lot will get their wish regarding Kepa.

Ironic that it looks likely he will end up at Real Madrid, not sure how that's happened considering how poor he is.

Oh well, at least he will finally be gone and we can get a proper keeper in, at last...........

Edited by martin1905
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, kev61 said:

Do you see anything positive about our signings?.

I see a midfielder away from being at least a top four team.

64 million dollar question

should the new team make the top 4 then it is a positive for the new signings and everything is rosy in the garden.

Failure to make the top 4, then IMO one could ask the questions, about the culling this summer and how some of those players culled would have performed under Poch's leadership. "last season was purely down to poor management decisions at the top"

Its all history now, with the new era starting today

Onwards and upwards "hopefully"

15 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

So, looks like a lot will get their wish regarding Kepa.

Ironic that it looks likely he will end up at Real Madrid, not sure how that's happened considering how poor he is.

Oh well, at least he will finally be gone and we can get a proper keeper in, at last...........

Sure the RB group or Monaco can oblige for the right money

30 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Lukaku - £30m
Ziyech - £10m
Chalobah - £35m
Gallagher - £40m
CHO - £8m

Probably right. I just did some mental arithmetic and underestimated. I am still hoping CG stays. Transfermrkt says our net for this window is +47m. If we could achieve £80m for RL, HZ, Trevoh and CHO that would put us about even including the fee for Caicedo but, crucially, it would massively reduce our wages which will make it easier to afford  Lavia and/or a backup keeper if we decide our existing backups are not up to it.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, asvaberg said:

Who wants to buy Lukaku? I really don't know (loan is very different)

Saudis, but he doesn't want to leave Europe. Spurs, maybe, but I am not sure the fans would wear it, and anyway, he says he wants to go to Italy. Most Italian clubs are short of cash. Juve might, but I doubt they would pay up without trying to bundle a swap. Inter might if he could make up with them. I suspect that towards the end of the window, he will realise how limited his options are. I don't think he would choose not to play because, in effect, at his age, it might become early retirement. If we won't play him, he might have to choose Saudi.

• Agree 1

39 minutes ago, Sciatika said:

Saudis, but he doesn't want to leave Europe. Spurs, maybe, but I am not sure the fans would wear it, and anyway, he says he wants to go to Italy. Most Italian clubs are short of cash. Juve might, but I doubt they would pay up without trying to bundle a swap. Inter might if he could make up with them. I suspect that towards the end of the window, he will realise how limited his options are. I don't think he would choose not to play because, in effect, at his age, it might become early retirement. If we won't play him, he might have to choose Saudi.

Hence: he is not worth much.

1 hour ago, asvaberg said:

Who wants to buy Lukaku? I really don't know (loan is very different)

Inter are out.  Juve now appear to be out unless it's a swap deal. Nobody else in Europe will touch him. Levy wouldn't be insane enough.

It'll be very interesting to see whether a season with the reserves would test his resolve or whether he'd take the Saudi money.

Assuming he was initially actually willing to see out his time with the reserves it would also be interesting to see whether all parties would be forced into some kind of compromise.

Would he issue a heartfelt apology on bended knees to the club and fans? Would the club see playing him as the only viable option with a view to getting him hopefully scoring for us whilst at the same time putting him in the shop window?

PSG have today reached some kind of agreement with Mbappe after previously threatening him with a year in the reserves. 

Money talks. 

• Thanks 1