Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

1 minute ago, Sciatika said:

I wonder if Villa will make a bid for Trevoh now that Mings has a knee injury?

I’d be surprised. They spent big of Carlos last season and he got a bad injury and missed most of the season. They have spent big on Pau Torres for this season and have Konsa.

Thats two new CB’s who need to get experience playing in the PL. No disrespect to Trev, but he would be 4th choice against these three. So I can’t see them forking out £30 odd million when they have better defenders who need to get out there playing in the PL.

I maybe wrong, but I would be surprised if Villa were his destination.  

• Like 1

Just now, Mark Kelly said:

Liverpool agree terms with Southampton for Lavia at £60m , awaiting Chelsea's response. 

Controversial one this but if its a choice between him and Gallagher I choose Gallagher all day. 

• Agree 2

Just now, Morgs said:

Controversial one this but if its a choice between him and Gallagher I choose Gallagher all day. 

I think it was a tit for tat , you made our purchase of Caicedo more expensive so we're going to make your purchase of Lavia more expensive too. 

I'd choose Gallagher too and I get the impression Poch like him .

• Agree 3

1 minute ago, Mark Kelly said:

I think it was a tit for tat , you made our purchase of Caicedo more expensive so we're going to make your purchase of Lavia more expensive too. 

I'd choose Gallagher too and I get the impression Poch like him .

I cannot for the life of me figure out why great swathes of our fanbase (admittedly, very few who actually go to games or who have been following us for longer than half an hour) don't rate him and want him gone. 

On the understanding that he is limited technically, but on the equal understanding that he is by no means crap technically and has a lot of ability on the ball that a lot don't want to acknowledge, he has so much about him. He'll run all day, great passer of the ball, we saw yesterday how well he reads the game and the number of interceptions he racks up in a game. Enzo's masterclass yesterday wouldn't have been possible without Gallagher being absolutely everywhere around and behind him.

Loves a tackle, relishes the physical battles and is so strong for a lad of his modest size, comparatively speaking. The workrate is intense! 

Why **wouldn't** you want that in the side?  As I pointed out in Twitter yesterday, Poch was a ball playing CB in his playing career and will no doubt have formulated strong opinions on the cover given by midfielders running their socks off screening, intercepting, turning over possession and putting in tackles ahead of him. I cannot reconcile myself with the view that Poch watched him yesterday and wasn't full of a very nuanced appreciation of what he does.  I don't care what anyone says, I thought he was absolutely superb yesterday against a determined and high quality midfield determined to press quickly with the full protection of Taylor. 

And it isn't even his best position! 

I've always said I think CG is a number ten who has the ability to get his hands dirty dropping deep when we don't have the ball.  with Nkunku out of the side until Jan at the earliest and a very raw Chukwuemeka the only other meaningful option if we want a number ten playing centrally, (Casadei has gone on loan remember), why would you even think about selling him? Its lunacy. 

Got to keep him.

If that means no Lavia then so be it. 

• Agree 4

7 minutes ago, Morgs said:

I cannot for the life of me figure out why great swathes of our fanbase (admittedly, very few who actually go to games or who have been following us for longer than half an hour) don't rate him and want him gone. 

On the understanding that he is limited technically, but on the equal understanding that he is by no means crap technically and has a lot of ability on the ball that a lot don't want to acknowledge, he has so much about him. He'll run all day, great passer of the ball, we saw yesterday how well he reads the game and the number of interceptions he racks up in a game. Enzo's masterclass yesterday wouldn't have been possible without Gallagher being absolutely everywhere around and behind him.

Loves a tackle, relishes the physical battles and is so strong for a lad of his modest size, comparatively speaking. The workrate is intense! 

Why **wouldn't** you want that in the side?  As I pointed out in Twitter yesterday, Poch was a ball playing CB in his playing career and will no doubt have formulated strong opinions on the cover given by midfielders running their socks off screening, intercepting, turning over possession and putting in tackles ahead of him. I cannot reconcile myself with the view that Poch watched him yesterday and wasn't full of a very nuanced appreciation of what he does.  I don't care what anyone says, I thought he was absolutely superb yesterday against a determined and high quality midfield determined to press quickly with the full protection of Taylor. 

I've always said I think CG is a number ten who has the ability to get his hands dirty dropping deep when we don't have the ball.  with Nkunku out of the side until Jan at the earliest and a very raw Chukwuemeka the only other meaningful option if we want a number ten playing centrally, (Casadei has gone on loan remember), why would you even think about selling him? Its lunacy. 

Got to keep him.

Couldn't agree more 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Morgs said:

Got to keep him.

6 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Couldn't agree more 

It’s there right in front of your eyes lads. I have not seen enough of Lavia to comment, but the bits I have seen suggest he is technically very good.

You only have to watch a rerun of yesterday. Conor did some great work in winning the ball back. If you watch it back, take the winning the ball back out of the equation cos he was very good. Then watch him with the ball and receiving the ball, it was so laboured and awkward throughout . Every time the ball was heading his way, Liverpool pressed him aggressively and he was just about surviving. His first touch is often too heavy so he invites pressure, he does not turn anywhere near mobile enough and he cannot sort his feet out quick enough to play in that role. You have to be clinical in some cases, if he was not a Chelsea lad then we would have little interest in keeping or signing him.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Thiago97 said:

It’s there right in front of your eyes lads. I have not seen enough of Lavia to comment, but the bits I have seen suggest he is technically very good.

You only have to watch a rerun of yesterday. Conor did some great work in winning the ball back. If you watch it back, take the winning the ball back out of the equation cos he was very good. Then watch him with the ball and receiving the ball, it was so laboured and awkward throughout . Every time the ball was heading his way, Liverpool pressed him aggressively and he was just about surviving. His first touch is often too heavy so he invites pressure, he does not turn anywhere near mobile enough and he cannot sort his feet out quick enough to play in that role. You have to be clinical in some cases, if he was not a Chelsea lad then we would have little interest in keeping or signing him.

Point taken, even if I feel you might be exaggerating a little. 

Question though - can/does Lavia run all day chasing and intercepting like Gallagher does? And can he also play at 10? 

Or are we suggesting we need Lavia to replace (and perhaps improve a little technically on) Gallagher's defensive work, and Olise to replace (and perhaps improve a little technically on) Gallagher further up the pitch? 

Not being snarky mate, just curious. 

Sky , hot on the heels of imagining every time we buy a player for x amount of Euros that the amount is really pounds because it looks like we're spending more than we are ,  are now running with "Boehly's billion" as if you convert the money we've spent into American dollars( like everyone does )  it's a bigger figure .

Wonder why they don't do that regarding the 41 and counting players Liverpool have bought , or the fortunes United have spent? 

Edited by Mark Kelly
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Thiago97 said:

Technical ability is just one facet of a players profile , getting things done and scoring goals is another and Gallagher does both 

Chukwuemeka is a far more technically accomplished player but does absolutely nothing that I can see. 

Gallagher really isn't a holding player and struggled at times yesterday but in all honesty that was more on the fact that he was left isolated for a lot of the time as Enzo went forward , many would have struggled in those conditions. 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Sky , hot on the heels of imagining every time we buy a player for x amount of Euros that the amount is really pounds because it looks like we're spending more than we are ,  are now running with "Boehly's billion" as if you convert the money we've spent into American dollars it's a bigger figure .

Wonder why they don't do that regarding the 41 and counting players Liverpool have bought , or the fortunes United have spent? 

Because "Boehly's masterclass in keeping Chelsea within FFP rules" will not exactly have the masses tuning in. 

Anti-Chelsea sells papers and clicks. 

To be honest it suits us. It would feel weird if they suddenly started giving us credit and treating us the same as everyone else. 

Just now, Morgs said:

Because "Boehly's masterclass in keeping Chelsea within FFP rules" will not exactly have the masses tuning in. 

Anti-Chelsea sells papers and clicks. 

To be honest it suits us. It would feel weird if they suddenly started giving us credit and treating us the same as everyone else. 

Sad but true .

However I did feel the tide turning a bit recently , I think it may be shock relating Anthony Taylor coming down on our side for once .

One thing I have noticed is how engaging Poch is and how much they like him so hopefully we'll get a fairer crack of the whip this year , well until we are perceived as a threat again

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Thiago97 said:

A dose of reality is needed in this whirlwind of nonsense.

The reality is Connor is not a player that a top team will keep.

He is ok on a good day but he is not a player for the future.

Certainly keep him for now but he is a player in the out tray imo. 

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 3

28 minutes ago, Morgs said:

Point taken, even if I feel you might be exaggerating a little. 

Question though - can/does Lavia run all day chasing and intercepting like Gallagher does? And can he also play at 10? 

Or are we suggesting we need Lavia to replace (and perhaps improve a little technically on) Gallagher's defensive work, and Olise to replace (and perhaps improve a little technically on) Gallagher further up the pitch? 

Not being snarky mate, just curious. 

Like I said, I have not seen enough of Lavia. He seems a very skilful technical playerwith a great change of direction and pace, probably more similar to Enzo. 
I doubt he can play a No10. Then ago. , Conor will struggle there unless playing in a very direct manner. 

7 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Is it beyond the owners to have acted to drive Lavia's eventual Liverpool fee up as tit for tat revenge? Can't see we need him or have the money for him anyway. 

Amusing though that would undeniably be, I would hope Boehly et al would be more professional than to get involved in shenanigans like that.

We haven't always been treated with respect and professionalism by other clubs and agents so need to take the high road and rise above the temptation to play personal games and so on.

Although I'd laugh my nuts off if we did. 

Edited by Morgs

Just now, Thiago97 said:

Like I said, I have not seen enough of Lavia. He seems a very skilful technical playerwith a great change of direction and pace, probably more similar to Enzo. 
I doubt he can play a No10. Then ago. , Conor will struggle there unless playing in a very direct manner. 

I guess we'll find out. I haven't seen enough of Lavia yet either. 

I am reasonably certain we wont be signing him anyway so its by the by. 

26 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Technical ability is just one facet of a players profile , getting things done and scoring goals is another and Gallagher does both 

Chukwuemeka is a far more technically accomplished player but does absolutely nothing that I can see. 

Gallagher really isn't a holding player and struggled at times yesterday but in all honesty that was more on the fact that he was left isolated for a lot of the time as Enzo went forward , many would have struggled in those conditions. 

You are not comparing apples with apples with Conor and Chuk though.

Chuk has had something like 20 PL games to his career. Conor has had  3 seasons at this level now, including a full season on loan at Charlton.

One player has around 100 first team games under his belt, the other has a handful and a few sub appearances. I would expect Conor to know and understand how to influence a game more.