Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

45 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

. Not far of a billion pound spent yet we are in a better position financially than we were previously. 

Well, that is debatable. The economics of the transfer dealings since January have been very clever, especially as we have been able to flog north of 250m worth of unwanted players to offset the first couple of years' worth of accounting for the current crop, BUT.........we now have an annual commitment of circa 135m to cover these transfers over a 6-8 year period. We no longer have a stack of deadwood to move on each season.

We will need on field success, and or off the field financial success, to avoid having to keep selling. We should get it, but if something goes wrong, we could have challenges.

On the plus side, you cold argue that we wont need to buy another defender or midfield player for about 10 years! 

Just now, paulw66 said:

Well, that is debatable. The economics of the transfer dealings since January have been very clever, especially as we have been able to flog north of 250m worth of unwanted players to offset the first couple of years' worth of accounting for the current crop, BUT.........we now have an annual commitment of circa 135m to cover these transfers over a 6-8 year period. We no longer have a stack of deadwood to move on each season.

We will need on field success, and or off the field financial success, to avoid having to keep selling. We should get it, but if something goes wrong, we could have challenges.

On the plus side, you cold argue that we wont need to buy another defender or midfield player for about 10 years! 

That’s true. We’re going to have to deliver, big time.

1 minute ago, paulw66 said:

what was the value of the Infiinte Athlete deal ? I presume this counts towards it over the length of whatever that deal is. Though I am a little suspicious if dark forces are at play, as to why this is not on the shirt yet.

4 hours ago, Floyd25 said:

IMG_2779.jpeg.49ddcb941987f29b3c2f4b8978875f36.jpeg

When you get a bit carried away on football manager.

10 central midfielders. Even with CL football back, that is probably 3 too many.

Would suggest Webster (for no other reason than we have bought players his age) and Gallagher (see above) are the most likely to move on in the short / medium term. 

2 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

10 central midfielders. Even with CL football back, that is probably 3 too many.

Would suggest Webster (for no other reason than we have bought players his age) and Gallagher (see above) are the most likely to move on in the short / medium term. 

I also get the impression there is probably one in there the club intend to flip for a profit. Not anyone specific player in mind, but I would have thought this line of thinking has taken place with some of these transfers, more specifically the younger players out on loan.

If FFP does start getting tight, flipping a player who cost say £15m for £30m and is not a immediate first team player would help 'lever' the situation.....to use a 'Barca' ism

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Thiago97 said:

I also get the impression there is probably one in there the club intend to flip for a profit. Not anyone specific player in mind, but I would have thought this line of thinking has taken place with some of these transfers, more specifically the younger players out on loan.

If FFP does start getting tight, flipping a player who cost say £15m for £30m and is not a immediate first team player would help 'lever' the situation.....to use a 'Barca' ism

Was going to say this earlier and got sidetracked doing something else.

A lot of these young players we're purchasing around that £20m mark are easy profits from a FFP perspective should they not end up the level we need here. With most being on 5+ year deals, a £20m fee for example is at most going to be a £4m a year hit. If we sell some of these guys 2-3 or so years down the line their remaining book value will be peanuts at that moment. Which will mean it won't take big sale fees to generate FFP profits. 

18 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Of course it all relies on us being successful on the pitch but that is something that I have no worries about. First game of the new season with a new manager, completely new team, without one of the key components being signed and one of, I'd argue THE most important player out injured and we completely and utterly dominated one of the top sides in the league, for an hour at least.

I have absolutely no doubt we will finish top 4 this season, I also have very little doubt this squad will challenge for the league in the next couple of years. City's cycle is coming to an end, every teams does, no matter how good they have been and we are as well placed as anyone to take over.

Something very special is happening, players like Caicedo and Lavia choosing us over Liverpool says an awful lot, the next side of things will be to get the off field finances in order and there will be major companies queuing up to want to be involved with us. It's the most exciting project the football world has ever seen and everyone is going to want to be involved.

(Repost- fixed an error)

Feel free to believe this or not. I have pulled some data on some of the possible outgoings. I am not judging whether their sale is a good idea. The fees and wages are from Spotrac. The fees include add-ons. The Book Value assumes linear depreciation across the lifetime of the contract. This simplifies because it should account for inflation, but I have a life. The market values are from TransferMarkt and might indicate what might be bid for the player. The residual salary is the amount of salary we would be paying for the remaining life of the contract if unsold. Our current annual salary bill is £161.5m. This does not include Caicedo.

Name Age Start End Fee Dep. p.a Book Value Mkt Value  Salary Rmng Sal.
Romelu Lukaku 30 2021 2026 126.50 25.30 75.90 34.50 16.90 50.7
Marc Cucurella 25 2022 2028 71.83 11.97 59.86 30.00 9.10 45.5
Conor Gallagher 23 2019 2025   0.00 0.00 27.50 2.60 5.2
Trevoh Chalobah 24 2019 2028   0.00 0.00 15.50 2.60 13
Hakim Ziyech 30 2020 2025 33.30 6.66 13.32 14.00 5.20 10.4
Callum Hudson-Odoi 22 2019 2024   0.00 0.00 13.00 6.24 6.24
Malang Sarr 24 2020 2025   0.00 0.00 5.00 6.24 12.48
Total             139.50 48.88 143.52

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

Of course it all relies on us being successful on the pitch but that is something that I have no worries about. First game of the new season with a new manager, completely new team, without one of the key components being signed and one of, I'd argue THE most important player out injured and we completely and utterly dominated one of the top sides in the league, for an hour at least.

I have absolutely no doubt we will finish top 4 this season, I also have very little doubt this squad will challenge for the league in the next couple of years. City's cycle is coming to an end, every teams does, no matter how good they have been and we are as well placed as anyone to take over.

Something very special is happening, players like Caicedo and Lavia choosing us over Liverpool says an awful lot, the next side of things will be to get the off field finances in order and there will be major companies queuing up to want to be involved with us. It's the most exciting project the football world has ever seen and everyone is going to want to be involved.

I share your optimism. Top 4 is not a given though......City, Arsenal, Newcastle, United will all have something to say. That's without Liverpool. Not worried about Spuds. 

The squad is in great shape to develop over the next few years. 

BTW, did anyone hear Danny Murphy on Talk Sport yesterday? Saying Lavia and Caicedo only chose Chelsea over Liverpool due to money, as in a straight race, Liverpool would be everyone's preference due to their global awareness and history. Living in the dark ages. Players of the age of Lavia and Caicedo would have experienced far more Chelsea success in their lifetime 

• Agree 1

Just now, paulw66 said:

I share your optimism. Top 4 is not a given though......City, Arsenal, Newcastle, United will all have something to say. That's without Liverpool. Not worried about Spuds. 

The squad is in great shape to develop over the next few years. 

BTW, did anyone hear Danny Murphy on Talk Sport yesterday? Saying Lavia and Caicedo only chose Chelsea over Liverpool due to money, as in a straight race, Liverpool would be everyone's preference due to their global awareness and history. Living in the dark ages. Players of the age of Lavia and Caicedo would have experienced far more Chelsea success in their lifetime 

Danny Murphy , if he moved in next door your lawn would die of boredom

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

Agree that Webster and Gallagher have no real long term future here, I also feel that Ugochukwu will be sold for profit and I fear Lewis Hall leaves permanently too, unless his future is at left back or left wing, Newcastle are apparently interested in him since his new contract and loan to palace has stalled. One of Santos, Chuckwuemeka or Casadei will have to move on as well within the next year or so. 

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

Hopefully 5th gets CL as well if England is a Top 2 performing league in Europe this season, would leave us some room for error. But honestly, the Enzo-Caicedo midfield is such a monster partnership, I see us getting Top 4 more comfortably than most predictions seem to have us at. 

2 hours ago, paulw66 said:

BUT.........we now have an annual commitment of circa 135m to cover these transfers over a 6-8 year period. We no longer have a stack of deadwood to move on each season.

Quite, we've massively increased our long term financial liabilities. And it is not all about FFP*, which is basically a game we play on Excel with UEFA and the PL. Cash flow and money in the bank is far, far more important to the ongoing success and very existence of the club. There are already rumblings of that being a complication (new investors being sought) 15 months into this ownership. We should not be getting too giddy about our financial position, imo. We've made some absolutely huge bets and there will be trouble if more than a few don't come off. I also foresee us being much more agreeable, and indeed needing to be, when it comes to selling star players in future. 

The squad is, though, looking very promising. Huge cause for optimism there. 

*Also worth considering FFP may not survive, in its current form at least, a few years of unrestricted Saudi Pro League spending. When they successfully come for big names the European giants don't want to sell, I think we'll see a big push against FFP.

Edited by thevelourfog
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, martin1905 said:

I'm not sure anyone would have realistically thought we would go head to head with Liverpool for two key targets this summer and come out on top, both times.

We will probably never know why but its so refreshing and bodes extremely well for the future. 

I said a good few weeks ago how well the TBSD had done getting rid of the unwanted, for some very good money and if they did half as well in terms of incomings we would have had one hell of a window. Well, they haven't done half as well, they've blown it out of the water. 

Quite possibly, in terms of ins and outs, the greatest transfer window in the history of football. 

No longer need to wait to see how it goes @ROTG, the TBSD has gone above anyone's expectations. I'm sure you will still want to wait to make sure we haven't signed Brighton level players but, let's be honest, we blatantly haven't. We've assembled a squad in a matter of weeks that will finish top 4 and challenge for the league in the next couple of seasons.

The TBSD have done so well they've made the governing bodies of Europe and now England change the rules as we've abliterated the market yet easily fall within FFP. Not far of a billion pound spent yet we are in a better position financially than we were previously. 

Love your positivity and your like's/Agree  supporters "rinse and repeat"

As i  have said on many occasion, more than happy to hold my hand up if wrong, however I am not going to cream my pants and tell the congregation the team is the best thing since sunblest, over one game, when there are another 37 to go. Nor over the new players, especially the latest recruit who was an overpriced piece of garbage who Poch didn't want according many including yourself last Friday morning

Anyway one of us will be giving coin to the forum subscription fund at the end of the season

Toodles  and lets move on

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Weapons grade idiocy from another Liverpool media fanboi , comedy gold.

This was him prior to the 2015-16 Europa League Final. Sevilla beat Liverpool 3-1 to win the trophy for a third year in a row and for a (then) fifth time overall.

John Aldridge - Liverpool Plank.jpg

Edited by Bob Singleton
Typo
  • Haha 4

7 minutes ago, Miguelito07 said:

Rumours that Newcastle want Hall - not sure as a loan or permanent. 

I wouldn't loan them Hall , they're cash rich FFP poor , let them work it out without our help and if they then decide they want Cucurella they can include a mandatory purchase at the end of the loan or no dice.

49 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Bless Aldridge, it’s always impossible for him to think that life doesn’t revolve around Liverpool, he can’t fathom a world where there’s players who actually don’t want to join them. A lot of them are like that, our tradition, our history, poor little me yada yada yada pathetic. 

Edited by Floyd25
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I wouldn't loan them Hall , they're cash rich FFP poor , let them work it out without our help and if they then decide they want Cucurella they can include a mandatory purchase at the end of the loan or no dice.

I actually think Cucurella will do okay up there - Newcastle will be getting hit on the break less than we do and they will need his overlapping runs.  They move the ball a lot faster than we did last season so his passing range and the speed he pings the ball around  would work for them.

Whilst limited, he is honest, he does work hard and he does wear his heart on his sleeve. He's the sort of player they really take to up there.  If we send him there on loan I reckon he would be okay. 

• Agree 2