Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

7 minutes ago, Morgs said:

I actually think Cucurella will do okay up there - Newcastle will be getting hit on the break less than we do and they will need his overlapping runs.  They move the ball a lot faster than we did last season so his passing range and the speed he pings the ball around  would work for them.

Whilst limited, he is honest, he does work hard and he does wear his heart on his sleeve. He's the sort of player they really take to up there.  If we send him there on loan I reckon he would be okay. 

100% agreed. BUT - we are limited in how many players we can loan out. i think its 7 and we have (i think) 5 out?

• Like 1

Quite refreshing from Sky Sports.  Now all they have to do is get rid of all the former Liverpool and United players who haven't kicked a ball for ten or more years from their match day studio.

I know some on here have discussed how we're being and will continue to be pilloried in the media for our spending, BUT... what I've noticed recently is an increase in the number of articles and podcasts/broadcasts explaining FFP, explaining over a billion in player sales over the last ten or so years etc., and explaining how we're NOT breaking rules but being clever in using the system (as it then was prior to the last minute rule changes) to our advantage. In other words, we've been smart (certainly in the short term... we now need to win things and get new sponsors in to help in the longer term) and with younger 'voices' with a less 'stuffy' and north-west centric bias, the old narrative pushed out by the likes of Neville, Carragher, Nichol, Murphy, etc., is starting to get drowned out.

• Agree 2

Gabriel, Moreira, Slonina, Kepa, Datro-Fofana all already loaned. 

Ugochukwu, Hall, Cucurella, Broja, Sarr, Bergstrom, Sharman-Lowe, Hutchinson, Webster, Rankine, Humphries, Anjorin, Cumming, Gilchrist, Vale, Casadei. All ideally needing a loan. Burstow as well if we don't sign a striker. 

Potentially a loan for Ziyech and Lukaku to get the out the door at this point and nobody is going to buy them. 

Busy times for the club. 

15 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

Quite refreshing from Sky Sports.  Now all they have to do is get rid of all the former Liverpool and United players who haven't kicked a ball for ten or more years from their match day studio.

I know some on here have discussed how we're being and will continue to be pilloried in the media for our spending, BUT... what I've noticed recently is an increase in the number of articles and podcasts/broadcasts explaining FFP, explaining over a billion in player sales over the last ten or so years etc., and explaining how we're NOT breaking rules but being clever in using the system (as it then was prior to the last minute rule changes) to our advantage. In other words, we've been smart (certainly in the short term... we now need to win things and get new sponsors in to help in the longer term) and with younger 'voices' with a less 'stuffy' and north-west centric bias, the old narrative pushed out by the likes of Neville, Carragher, Nichol, Murphy, etc., is starting to get drowned out.

I've noticed that since I printed that Reddit post about finances in football and how it works / worked that suddenly the tide has changed , it's almost like they didn't have the mental fortitude to work it out for themselves previously !

22 minutes ago, Morgs said:

Ugochukwu, Hall, Cucurella, Broja, Sarr, Bergstrom, Sharman-Lowe, Hutchinson, Webster, Rankine, Humphries, Anjorin, Cumming, Gilchrist, Vale, Casadei. All ideally needing a loan. Burstow as well if we don't sign a striker. 

Potentially a loan for Ziyech and Lukaku to get the out the door at this point and nobody is going to buy them. 

Busy times for the club. 

Moreira hasn't gone (yet) 

24 minutes ago, Morgs said:

Busy times for the club. 

It is hard to find an exact list of layers on loan, but I know at least Hutchinson and Rankine are already out on loan at Ipswich and Exeter

Edit - and Webster in the dutch league I believe

Edited by Lump Of Celery

35 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

Paul Ross on the overnight show is always a good listen on the wireless whether its sport or current affairs. A very smart cookie, unlike his brother 

2 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

*Also worth considering FFP may not survive, in its current form at least, a few years of unrestricted Saudi Pro League spending. When they successfully come for big names the European giants don't want to sell, I think we'll see a big push against FFP.

It will be interesting to see how UEFA will tackle the threat from Saudi Arabia. Much like we saw in professional golf, the Saudis are here to stay. I think it’ll force their hand to adjust to this new reality and if they want to be seen as the main football association they will have to allow the European clubs to compete financially. So a big push against FFP isn’t if, but rather when. 

2 hours ago, Miguelito07 said:

Rumours that Newcastle want Hall - not sure as a loan or permanent. 

Surely we won’t entertain that even for a minute. Hall needs to play. Palace would be a perfect destination. In London, so he wouldn’t have to change his environment too much and the competition for him to play in central midfield is a lot easier at Palace vs Newcastle. Newcastle are already quite stacked at the centre of the pitch. 

8 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Surely we won’t entertain that even for a minute. Hall needs to play. Palace would be a perfect destination. In London, so he wouldn’t have to change his environment too much and the competition for him to play in central midfield is a lot easier at Palace vs Newcastle. Newcastle are already quite stacked at the centre of the pitch. 

Yup. A loan to Newcaslte makes zero sense. 

4 hours ago, martin1905 said:

Of course it all relies on us being successful on the pitch but that is something that I have no worries about. First game of the new season with a new manager, completely new team, without one of the key components being signed and one of, I'd argue THE most important player out injured and we completely and utterly dominated one of the top sides in the league, for an hour at least.

I have absolutely no doubt we will finish top 4 this season, I also have very little doubt this squad will challenge for the league in the next couple of years. City's cycle is coming to an end, every teams does, no matter how good they have been and we are as well placed as anyone to take over.

Something very special is happening, players like Caicedo and Lavia choosing us over Liverpool says an awful lot, the next side of things will be to get the off field finances in order and there will be major companies queuing up to want to be involved with us. It's the most exciting project the football world has ever seen and everyone is going to want to be involved.

Gotta say I'm loving your optimism, which begs the question, are you really a Chelsea fan ? 😉

My own mindset is a mixture of, "Isn't this great" and "Oh shit, we could really be in the shite if these guys don't pan out". I'd genuinely love to be where you're at!

On the run and will be out most of the day but a couple of quick points I picked up...the Torres media+ attacks head job... the difference is the two players possibly targeted really have no Liverpool baggage and any media scouse inspired attack/criticism will go over their heads,,,when I was in Spain Hico de Puta was a red rag etc and players got sent off for reacting,,,for me it was "Duh" and pointless...get the point?

Mason M...he was afforded so much space for less than effective input..."Too much Football"..."Niggly injuries" "Club messing him about"  "Our golden boy" so teflon at some point..:"Bad influences in dressing room"....."Daddy wants him at United"...or did I miss the last bit?...Some doubts in my mind as to where the fault was.

1 minute ago, Miguelito07 said:

....have we still kept that second changing room  in the training ground from last season?!

I think we are going to see quite a few outgoings in the next few weeks , some to Saudi and others to pastures new , hopefully we make the right calls where those players are involved 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I think Olise will be a quality player, if he's not already. Getting him for under 40m is a steal. They'd have wanted 70+ if it wasn't for the release clause and I expect they'd have got it. 

Edited by Spawton

21 minutes ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

Absolutely - why do we need another winger?

He can also play the 10, which, if we are going to play 4-2-3-1 then for those 3 positions we'll have Olise, Mudryk, Sterling, Madueke, Nkunku, and then Enzo maybe centrally in some games, with Lavia / Caicedo behind. 

Olise is a fantastic talent and £35m is a low figure for a player of his ability.

To be honest, he does feel a bit overkill and not sure we need another player in this area. However, he is very talented and provides another option.

We have to be moving on a few soon. I can't see how Gallagher , Cucurella/Maatsen (one of them), Chalobah  will still be here by the end of this window. 

5 minutes ago, Thiago97 said:

Olise is a fantastic talent and £35m is a low figure for a player of his ability.

To be honest, he does feel a bit overkill and not sure we need another player in this area. However, he is very talented and provides another option.

We have to be moving on a few soon. I can't see how Gallagher , Cucurella/Maatsen (one of them), Chalobah  will still be here by the end of this window. 

Gallagher, Chalobah, Ziyech, CHO, Lukaku......all need to go, and fingers crossed, Cucurella. 

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Gallagher, Chalobah, Ziyech, CHO, Lukaku......all need to go, and fingers crossed, Cucurella. 

Yeah you would think all these players are on their way. I hope we dont sell Maatsen as he deserves a crack in the squad to see what he can offer, but I just worry that we get a £20-£25m offer that can go straight on the bottom line and the club end up taking that.

I didn't think anything would replicate that summer under Ranieri when Roman took over the club, but this is starting to feel like that now. I think you can have too many options at times. It's exciting but the more that arrive, the more concern is increasing.