Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

21 minutes ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

Omg. I can only imagine it mate. Someone’s made money on the Foffers deal; you can count on it. I wonder how the medicos felt at Chelsea with Todd ‘n’ Eggy wanting a “second opinion”. Leicester must be laughing. 

Not sure that it was driven by Todd and Eggy, smart agents playing to the all American crowd possibly?

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, east lower said:

Was told at the weekend that the issues with Fofana's injury are chronic and might not ever get 100% fixed.

I think most know he was bought when injured. Got told that he failed the first medical undertaken in this country. He then was sent to America for a 'second opinion' that came back with a more 'positive outlook'. First one commissioned by the club, second one driven by the agents who disputed the findings of the initial consultation.  

Allegedly the knee is falling apart literally. Info came from ex-Chelsea player, who still has dealings with them.

Hope we're well insured.  

Sad if true. Personally I was always against this transfer. Mainly because he isn’t a £70m player, but also because he doesn’t even have a £70m ceiling. Also bought when he was recovering from a serious injury (missing large chunks of the previous season). 

But he is here now and we have an obligation towards him as a person. If his career is over the club needs to support him fully. 

1 hour ago, Bob Singleton said:

Usually I’ve got a fairly good grasp of the academy players but I’ve never even heard of Ben Elliot! 

I thought Koulibaly was the Rudiger replacement 😉

Last summer's window was so bad. Sterling, Koulibaly, Aubameyang, Wes Fofana, Casadei, Cucurella, Chukwuemeka and Slonina. £260m. Only a year later and already at least 3 or 4 of them can be dismissed as flops. Could end up giving Summer 2017 a run for it's money as the worst ever.

39 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Usually I’ve got a fairly good grasp of the academy players but I’ve never even heard of Ben Elliot! 

He and Musiala played together and completely dominated games. Considered as good as him 3 or 4 years ago. Then he had an injury which laid him off for around a season, so his development stalled a little, but he was still very highly rated. Can't remember off hand his contract status; it's possible he may have been out of contract as of 1st July. I do know that the club were desperate to keep him and offered him a new deal in the winter (which they offered again more recently).

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

This was him prior to the 2015-16 Europa League Final. Sevilla beat Liverpool 3-1 to win the trophy for a third year in a row and for a (then) fifth time overall.

John Aldridge - Liverpool Plank.jpg

this geezer, an absolute toad. I read somewhere a mickey mouser called him a class act! didnt take too kindly to being commiserated with though did he? twice.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

He's still CB5 even with Fofana injury 

Next summer we may need a new defender when Silva's contract is up and if Fofana can't come back. We should keep Chalobah as an insurance policy - if we do I'm sure he'd get back into the team at some point.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chiswickblue said:

Next summer we may need a new defender when Silva's contract is up and if Fofana can't come back. We should keep Chalobah as an insurance policy - if we do I'm sure he'd get back into the team at some point.

Sure he'll love that. Sit on the bench, and scratch his hole for 12 months so he can replace Silva for 24/24

• Haha 1

Purely from a sporting perspective, a loan would make more sense but the club is clearly looking to stay financially healthy and a sale is highly beneficial right now. 

It also wouldn’t be far fetched to assume Silva may stay yet another season. The risk around him isn’t his age, it’s Saudi Arabia. 

5 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Sad if true. Personally I was always against this transfer. Mainly because he isn’t a £70m player, but also because he doesn’t even have a £70m ceiling. Also bought when he was recovering from a serious injury (missing large chunks of the previous season). 

But he is here now and we have an obligation towards him as a person. If his career is over the club needs to support him fully. 

Disagree that Wes didn't have a £70m ceiling, he's been a genuine top talent for years and why Leicester paid up to initially sign him at like 19. He was then exceptional in his first season before that horror leg break he suffered. Looking at it now after these follow up knee injuries it may no longer be the case, but that's a risk every transfer carries really - some just being more vulnerable than others. 

But yeah, right now his health matters most and everything else comes secondary. If this information turns out to be valid then hopefully there's something that can be done to maybe aid his recovery and career. The silver-lining I suppose is that he's young and has time up his sleeve, he may end up being our equivalent of Ledley King because it's not as if he's a bad player in isolation. May just have to be managed for the remainder of his career. 

2 hours ago, chiswickblue said:

I like Chalobah but he's probably not quite good enough to be a regular, but too good to be a bottom of the pecking order option here. At some point he'll likely want to be playing regular first team football given he's 24, and that's in all honesty that's more achievable at another Premier League side, or abroad. 

Given our CB stocks and his academy status, if we're getting £30m or upwards that's a pretty tough gig to turn down when it's all pure profit for FFP. This is both part of the process of spending big, but also a purpose of what the academy is for as a profit generator. 

4 hours ago, Ham said:

Happy to have Lavia but also feel he's probably the more unnecessary signing, that said having a proper alternative to Enzo will be huge and helps free him up if we choose to push him higher up the pitch with Nkunku currently out. Obviously a talented player but still quite raw, although snagging him from Liverpool after Caicedo does add a certain sweetness to the transfer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, chiswickblue said:

Have you heard of Bashir Humphreys? He looked very good in pre season. If he gets a good loan this year there's no reason why he can't come back and be an option next season. 

With Colwill signing his new long term deal and huge investment in Badiashile, Disasi and Fofana the position should be sorted for a few years. And even if you don't consider Fofana a reliable option because of his injury history then Humphreys becomes CB4. 

Edited by Bison
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

28 minutes ago, Bison said:

Have you heard of Bashir Humphreys? He looked very good in pre season. If he gets a good loan this year there's no reason why he can't come back and be an option next season. 

With Colwill signing his new long term deal and huge investment in Badiashile, Disasi and Fofana the position should be sorted for a few years. And even if you don't consider Fofana a reliable option because of his injury history then Humphreys becomes CB4. 

Bro. We’re talking about Trev here. Need I say more?

😁

On 14/08/2023 at 07:21, kev61 said:

Well.You can piss off with your optimism - and I hope it rains constantly.😃.

Have a wonderful time mate.

Haha! This made me chuckle, over my coffee in the beautifully hot sunshine whilst I overlook the beach… biggest decision for me today is where to start the day, beach or pool?

I had to jump on here briefly though after seeing Lavia did a Caicedo and chose us not Liverpool, please tell me the press are in meltdown over this?

Anyone else getting slightly concerned with the amount of money we are splashing around? Not so much FFP as I'm sure we can wriggle our way through that minefield with the correct creative accounting but rather where the money is actually coming from? With Roman the money pumped in was regarded as loans that were eventually waived. The Clearlake investment however is a commercial business venture and while I'm sure anything spent on Cobham or a new stadium will be capitalised I imagine that transfer funds, in the absence of UCL or general sponsorship, will be in the form of loans which will need to be serviced. Are we going back to the bad old days of Mears and Co? This smacks to me of funding Christmas on your credit card when you don't have a salary coming in.