Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

I don't care who else they sell but Lewis Hall would come back to haunt us in Salah/DeBruyne dimensions.  

A horrible decision.  

This is why we need a powerful CST, not for a poxy betting sponsor. Italian ultras would let their club know in no uncertain terms that they were selling the wrong kid. 

• Love 1

4 minutes ago, Ham said:

I don't care who else they sell but Lewis Hall would come back to haunt us in Salah/DeBruyne dimensions.  

A horrible decision.  

This is why we need a powerful CST, not for a poxy betting sponsor. Italian ultras would let their club know in no uncertain terms that they were selling the wrong kid. 

You rate him this highly huh? He played well for us as a LB/LWB to be fair to him but not yet seen him play midfield at senior level. Barely got any minutes there in preseason too. 

Hall’s best (preferred) position is DM. We are very well stocked there. Any chance Hall had of breaking into the first team regularly at DM evaporated with the signing of Lavia. It’s sad but keeping him and shoving him out on loan does him or is no favours. 

We either sell him now or give him a loan and sell for (much) more next summer. 

It’s a real shame but we can’t keep everyone and this is the cost of bringing in Lavia. 

11 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I don't want to see Gallagher go but if the choice is between him and Hall that's a toughy 

My vote would be keep Gallagher for a season, loan Hall, not sign Lavia. Don't get the hype around Lavia personally, and we've just spent close to 300m on CM's that are under 22. Rome wasn't built in a day, maybe take a season for some of our prospects to improve and see where we're at.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

39 minutes ago, DannyLB said:

You rate him this highly huh? He played well for us as a LB/LWB to be fair to him but not yet seen him play midfield at senior level. Barely got any minutes there in preseason too. 

I really do. I'd keep him as Chilwell's alternative and get rid of Cucurella in a heartbeat. 

After seeing what he's done to City each time he's played them at 17 and 18 years of age I'm confident that he's going to be an absolute star and I'd hate to see that happening elsewhere.

His ceiling is uber-high. 

Him and Maatsen are the two I'd keep of all the academy players.

Gallagher, Chalobah and CHO can go and hopefully that would be enough for FFP purposes. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Think a few need to cool down. 

Colwill was off to Brighton at one point and Caicedo was walfway to Liverpool 

Wise words pw....but where are these rumours (?) originating?..... I'm too far away to get anything but mainstream Buffoonery ...not on the social media roundabout...can anyone give me any insight?

28 minutes ago, Ham said:

I really do. I'd keep him as Chilwell's alternative and get rid of Cucurella in a heartbeat. 

This is the issue with how we're spending, though. I'm 99% confident the club would happily move Cucurella on. But a) no one is going to offer a fee that covers his book value and matches our contract and b) we almost certainly need to bring in money for cash flow purposes. It is not about rating Hall higher than Cucurella, I suspect. It is going to be about who can we actually get immediate cash for without destroying the accounts. 

Those are the key considerations. After those will be "what is the immediate footballing impact of losing this player". I rate Hall very highly, but the honest answer to that "no impact at all".

Our financial actions have consequences. I'm very wary of our transfer opulence.

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Think a few need to cool down. 

Colwill was off to Brighton at one point and Caicedo was walfway to Liverpool 

I certainly don't believe anything until I see the player at the training ground or officially announced, and was speaking hypotheticals. Although that picture of Hall has me questioning that!

Thinking about it, surely we don't need to sell any more players this season for FFP (cash flow etc is another issue). Mount, Kovacic, Havertz, RLC, Ampadu has netted us at least £100m in the FFP plus column. A few more odd millions on Mendy, Pulisic, and a lot of neutral amortisation sales like Koulibaly. Wage bill massively reduced with some of those plus Kante, Auba, Kepa and hopefully more to go.

Next summer - Trevs value is protected because of his contract, Gallagher will have 1 year left but be worth roughly the same. Hall probably worth more with a loan and contract, Maatsen too if he signs a new contract. 

Even if we eventually do have to sell academy players, surely it makes long term financial sense for the new business model to either - develop these players a bit more (Hall, Maatsen) and retain the useful ones that cost nothing (Trev, Gallagher) rather than making expensive signings. The formers could even turn out to be stars.

I'm unsure on this new model of being a conveyor belt for young talent, particularly as it seems soulless and seems to be to the detriment of our actual academy products becoming first team players. Just as we turned the corner in that respect. Some of the decisions are a little bewildering too, examples - Casadei signed for big money, plays reserve football and then 1.5 seasons in the championship, unlikely his value will grow. Big Les if he goes on loan to Strasbourg proves nothing as he's already playing that level. And if true and we value Hall at 30m at 18, why on earth would you consider selling a prospect that good? Then theres the issue that surely any upcoming CM prospect will think twice about signing for us with 2 £100m 22 year olds ahead of them in the pecking order- the model doesn't seem sustainable there

1 hour ago, Ham said:

He’s the sort of player who fits our current recruitment, if he wasn’t our player we would’ve bid 20 million for him. Ah well, I’m just gonna calm down a bit and see what happens. 

44 minutes ago, Morgs said:

Ziyech has FAILED his medical. 

FFS. 

42 minutes ago, Spawton said:

AGAIN? Oh dear. He's got 2 years left on his contract. I guess he's not going anywhere.

22 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

This afternoon it was being reported that he had passed his medical.

Hearing he has passed it now! 

10 minutes ago, Bison said:

Shambles. Utter shambles. 

Would be very, very disappointed if this happens.

£35m for an 18 year old with a handful of appearances is clearly a very good fee, but Christ what a talent we’d be letting go. 

Palace on loan was literally an ideal move for his development.  I can only “hope” that he’s pushed for the move and we’ve reluctantly not stood in his way 

7 minutes ago, Floyd25 said:

First time I’ve read he wants to leave, guess he doesn’t see a future here with so many players in the way. 

Clearly a club briefing because. He is widely reported to have signed a six year deal earlier in the week. Is that the actions of a player that wants to leave? 

Hall is a Reece James level talent that needed a pathway, coaching and convincing he could be a truly elite LB but instead we are keeping two awful footballers ahead of him, extending  Chilwell's contract and refusing to accept Cucurella is rubbish and just moving him on. 

Congrats to Newcastle. Ashworth is doing an amazing squad building job. Clearly they got the good director from Brighton and we ended up with the useless one.