Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

4 minutes ago, Bison said:

Clearly a club briefing because. He is widely reported to have signed a six year deal earlier in the week. Is that the actions of a player that wants to leave? 

Hall is a Reece James level talent that needed a pathway, coaching and convincing he could be a truly elite LB but instead we are keeping two awful footballers ahead of him, extending  Chilwell's contract and refusing to accept Cucurella is rubbish and just moving him on. 

Congrats to Newcastle. Ashworth is doing an amazing squad building job. Clearly they got the good director from Brighton and we ended up with the useless one. 

I get the Cucurella thing but your Chilwell obsession is just odd. 

• Agree 3

6 minutes ago, Bison said:

Clearly a club briefing because. He is widely reported to have signed a six year deal earlier in the week. Is that the actions of a player that wants to leave? 

No it isn’t, unless he’s had a change of heart due to more recent midfield signings, as he sees himself as a midfielder. I doubt he’s pushing for a move though, seems like nonsense to me. 

Just now, Ham said:

I get the Cucurella thing but your Chilwell obsession is just odd. 

We see things differently. He apparently had a good game on Sunday because of the number of sprints he made despite how utterly rubbish he was with the ball at his feet throughout.

He is a rubbish footballer and when he breaks down again and Colwill is playing LB you'll all be crying for Hall. 

2 minutes ago, Floyd25 said:

No it isn’t, unless he’s had a change of heart due to more recent midfield signings, as he sees himself as a midfielder. I doubt he’s pushing for a move though, seems like nonsense to me. 

Not sure how you can have a change of heart 2-3 days after signing a long term deal.

15 minutes ago, Floyd25 said:

12 minutes ago, Bison said:

Not sure how you can have a change of heart 2-3 days after signing a long term deal.

I'm guessing when we bought Caicedo AND Lavia.  CM path blocked for years. 

• Agree 1

Just now, Ham said:

There is nothing on the only site that counts. 

Edit, the wording in that article says Agreed and not signed. The headline is different 

Edited by paulw66

5 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

He never signed anything 

And he's not a left back. 

I doubt journos would put their credibility on the line to lie about Hall signing a contract. 

Reece James was playing CM for Wigan. If somebody invested in Hall's development sat him down and told him how good he has been at LB and how great he could be it wouldn't be an issue. 

2 minutes ago, Bison said:

I doubt journos would put their credibility on the line to lie about Hall signing a contract. 

Reece James was playing CM for Wigan. If somebody invested in Hall's development sat him down and told him how good he has been at LB and how great he could be it wouldn't be an issue. 

Yeah, journalists are salt of the earth. 

Have heard everything now

Nothing, nought, zip on the official site. 

5 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Yeah, journalists are salt of the earth. 

Have heard everything now

Nothing, nought, zip on the official site. 

Utterly strange to think that unless something is reported on the official site it didn't happen.

6 hours ago, paulw66 said:

lots of Lewis Hall to Newcastle links on a permanent basis 

LOL. After this summer you just knew they had to do something to fuck it up. I replied to Morgan earlier today and if this happens I think it’s clear what the club is set out to do. 

We do this and we effectively kill the academy. One of the biggest talents we’ve produced. On par with James and JT imo. 18 years old ffs. 

5 hours ago, chara said:

Hall is 18...a loan is the best thing for all concerned......look at James, JT as examples.

This is the right answer. I’d be selling both Gallagher and Chalobah ahead of Hall. And I rate the other two quite highly… 

4 hours ago, Floyd25 said:

Goodbye Lewis hall by the looks of it, after being persuaded to sign a six year contract, treating one of our own like that does not reflect very well on us. If If I’m maatsen as well, I’m looking at that and thinking why would I sign a contract, so not surprised he’s turned it down. 

😢

2 hours ago, Lump Of Celery said:

I certainly don't believe anything until I see the player at the training ground or officially announced, and was speaking hypotheticals. Although that picture of Hall has me questioning that!

Thinking about it, surely we don't need to sell any more players this season for FFP (cash flow etc is another issue). Mount, Kovacic, Havertz, RLC, Ampadu has netted us at least £100m in the FFP plus column. A few more odd millions on Mendy, Pulisic, and a lot of neutral amortisation sales like Koulibaly. Wage bill massively reduced with some of those plus Kante, Auba, Kepa and hopefully more to go.

Next summer - Trevs value is protected because of his contract, Gallagher will have 1 year left but be worth roughly the same. Hall probably worth more with a loan and contract, Maatsen too if he signs a new contract. 

Even if we eventually do have to sell academy players, surely it makes long term financial sense for the new business model to either - develop these players a bit more (Hall, Maatsen) and retain the useful ones that cost nothing (Trev, Gallagher) rather than making expensive signings. The formers could even turn out to be stars.

I'm unsure on this new model of being a conveyor belt for young talent, particularly as it seems soulless and seems to be to the detriment of our actual academy products becoming first team players. Just as we turned the corner in that respect. Some of the decisions are a little bewildering too, examples - Casadei signed for big money, plays reserve football and then 1.5 seasons in the championship, unlikely his value will grow. Big Les if he goes on loan to Strasbourg proves nothing as he's already playing that level. And if true and we value Hall at 30m at 18, why on earth would you consider selling a prospect that good? Then theres the issue that surely any upcoming CM prospect will think twice about signing for us with 2 £100m 22 year olds ahead of them in the pecking order- the model doesn't seem sustainable there

It’s a mess. 

2 hours ago, Morgs said:

Ziyech has FAILED his medical. 

FFS. 

2 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

At this point he's not even trying 

Ziyech. I curse the day we signed him. Awful attitude, awful physique. He was never ha player cut out to play here. His level is Ajax or some middling French club. 

6 hours ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

My dear Mr Gizmo,

Have you been at the communion wine?

Toodles 

C_M

Hello Mr Door. 

Just pointing out that LH at this moment in time is not a LB.  That said he is probably more of a LB than the £60m recruitment from the Sussex on sea club. 

Toodles

ROTG

Unfortunately communal wine is not something allowed in the parish.

I was surprised that Pochettino barely used Hall in preseason. I get if he’d rather start for Newcastle over going on loan to Palace then facing uncertainty over forcing his way into the Chelsea first team. Especially as Newcastle appear to be his boyhood club. Cold logic is that 35-40m for an 18 year old whose immediate chances are limited looks like pretty good business. I guess he’s the victim of the Cucurella deal which is really one of the worst signings we’ve made in recent years. I just hope it doesn’t mean we have to sacrifice Gallagher and Maatsen as well. 

Not as phased about selling Hall as others seem to be on here, although keeping him would be more preferred. I think he's a tidy player and a good talent, but equally he's not an actual fullback and the football he has played for us has largely been at WB - which there is a difference between despite what some may believe. We only need to look at Alonso as a prime example in recent times and the difference when playing either position effectively. 

The other thing of course is that Hall's sample size at senior level is like 600 minutes, or the equivalent of 6.66 90 minute matches, which is absolutely nothing. He has a tremendous about of work to do defensively and out of possession, as you'd expect for a player his age before he can be considered viable as a fullback at this level.

He could end up a Reece James (which I personally doubt), just as much as he could end up a Oina or Lamptey.  If we're able to get £35m or so, maybe a sell-on clause in there also, that's great business for someone that's a fringe player for the foreseeable future given the options ahead of him and system we'll play. 

Edited by xceleryx
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

We’ve brought in too many young players which leads to people like Hall being forced out and it’s avoidable. If you look at some of the players being prioritised ahead of him, it doesn’t make a whole lot of sense. I’m not sure that I buy that he ever wanted to leave anyway, what’s done is done and we move on. I said I wouldn’t get attached to academy players anymore ages ago, just hope we don’t regret this one. 

Edited by Floyd25
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, Ham said:

I don't care who else they sell but Lewis Hall would come back to haunt us in Salah/DeBruyne dimension.

I don't see the potential in Hall that some people seem to.

He looks an average Graham le Saux - but in fairness I never saw the potential in KDB or Salah.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, kev61 said:

I don't see the potential in Hall that some people seem to.

He looks an average Graham le Saux - but in fairness I never saw the potential in KDB or Salah.

Sort of agree with you kev..Hall is young though....it's not so long ago that the forum was up in arms about CHO going off to Germany...I know the injury didn't help but here we are looking to off load him for whatever we can get.

KDB/Salah were a long way off what they became....doubt many saw more than a reasonable career for Salah and ..for me..KDB could have gone either way depending on other factors.

As ever luck has a lot of influence and having the skills is not enough.

1 hour ago, Floyd25 said:

Bashir Humphreys loan to Swansea has stalled as well from what I’ve read, wonder if that means he’s next to be sold. 

He's a player I like.He doesn't seem fazed by the premiership and his positional play looks excellent.

We will probably get rid.It's beginning to dawn on me we don't see potential we see a transaction.

5 minutes ago, chara said:

Sort of agree with you kev..Hall is young though....it's not so long ago that the forum was up in arms about CHO going off to Germany...I know the injury didn't help but here we are looking to off load him for whatever we can get.

KDB/Salah were a long way off what they became....doubt many saw more than a reasonable career for Salah and ..for me..KDB could have gone either way depending on other factors.

As ever luck has a lot of influence and having the skills is not enough.

Agree.I hope we are judging players by their attitude as much their potential.