Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

47 minutes ago, Miguelito07 said:

That's a shame. He would have offered us something no other Chelsea player has done for a while... intelligent (i.e. look up and pick out a target) crosses into the box, rather than "cross and hope someone gets near it" balls. He could also have deputised for Nkunku in the second striker role.

• Agree 4

1 minute ago, Bob Singleton said:

That's a shame. He would have offered us something no other Chelsea player has done for a while... intelligent (i.e. look up and pick out a target) crosses into the box, rather than "cross and hope someone gets near it" balls. He could also have deputised for Nkunku in the second striker role.

He can't have been that into the idea of coming if he's signed a new deal though can he? Unless this is some sort of weird ruse that means we get him, but for like £15-20m more? But why would we have agreed to that? 

2 hours ago, xceleryx said:

Sure, but this doesn't answer the question in where exactly you expect Hall to play outside of his position generally speaking being a midfielder (which I agree he is). 

We play a double pivot which means it suits a particular type of midfielder and Hall does not fit that billing, as such us signing other midfielders who are more suitable to the role doesn't necessarily impact a player who is ill-equipped himself. I dare say that's the line of thinking our managers in the time Hall has been here have also had, considering they favoured throwing him into a more manageable wing-back role then in the heart of the midfield. 

If we don't sign other talented players from elsewhere people are still going to piss and moan about our scouting, or not getting these players in earlier when they're cheaper, rather than spending vast sums of money on them later on and having to compete with other top side for their signature. We've seen it all before over the years, there's literally no winning either way. 

Given that he's 18, and we have probably churned through a manager every season or two for the last 20 years, I think the phrase "we play a double pivot" is a bit of a stretch! 

Firstly, I think Poch has showed his tactically flexibility already against Liverpool by playing Chilwell in front of Colwill as a left-winger, but irrespective we have no idea whether he will change to play 3-5-2 or 4-3-3 at times, both of which he has used elsewhere previously.  And furthermore, if Poch is even going to be here in a year or two's time!?  I hope he is btw, but Hall would still only be 19-20! 

More to the point however, I actually believe Hall has the technical and physical attributes to play in a 6 on the left-hand side, or in the three on the left (same as Maatsen did in pre-season) as an 8 in a 4-3-3 or as a left-back / left-wing back (much more capably than Cucerella although accept there is still work to be done).  So if anything, Hall is exactly the sort of player you want in your squad.

Incredibly short-sighted from us, and even more frustrating when you see us linked with average players like Brennan Johnson from Notts Forest on the same day?!  What are we playing at?!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Ham said:

We had to walk away from Olise because we'd been caught red-handed tapping him up. 

20220830_220912.jpg

16 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

It certainly looks this way 

Not sure that adds up. Why would Olise then sign a new contract? 

If he wants to go, he wants to go. 

Just now, paulw66 said:

Well , mainly Palace complaining that we'd tapped him up .

Maybe we then pulled out to stop them reporting us giving them the chance to pin him down to a financially improved contract , reports are saying he's now on £100k per week which seems like a lot for Palace to my mind.

2 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Well , mainly Palace complaining that we'd tapped him up .

Maybe we then pulled out to stop them reporting us giving them the chance to pin him down to a financially improved contract , reports are saying he's now on £100k per week which seems like a lot for Palace to my mind.

I understand IF we had tapped up and IF they were going to report us, we decided to back away, but that doesn't influence whether or not he needed to sign a new deal. He could / would have made a lot more just staying put, then joining us (or someone else) next year (or in January)

5 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

If he wants to go, he wants to go, indeed!  BUT... it's being suggested by some that we pulled out of the deal to avoid an official complaint of "tapping up" (I think we all know and accept that player's agents talk to potential buying clubs regarding wages, incentives, etc., but we may have overstepped the mark in this instance). If that's the case - that we pulled out - then where does he go, unless another club makes an offer. 

That he has signed a new contract suggests at the very least that, even if other clubs may have enquired, his agents have told him that none of them were either serious or offering anything substantial.

However it's played out, he's increased his wage and, even if not Chelsea, he's at a club that wants him.

Just now, Bob Singleton said:

If he wants to go, he wants to go, indeed!  BUT... it's being suggested by some that we pulled out of the deal to avoid an official complaint of "tapping up" (I think we all know and accept that player's agents talk to potential buying clubs regarding wages, incentives, etc., but we may have overstepped the mark in this instance). If that's the case - that we pulled out - then where does he go, unless another club makes an offer. 

That he has signed a new contract suggests at the very least that, even if other clubs may have enquired, his agents have told him that none of them were either serious or offering anything substantial.

However it's played out, he's increased his wage and, even if not Chelsea, he's at a club that wants him.

but if he wants to go, why not sign nothing and be in a very powerful position in 6 / 12 months?

2 hours ago, Miguelito07 said:

Wonder if there’s a release clause and we’ll go back to him once he recovers from his injury.

Also, weren’t we supposed to be loaning them Lewis Hall only for him to end up at Newcastle? Could be that cheesed them off. 

Edited by Original 21

6 minutes ago, Original 21 said:

Can’t say I know much about this guy…

IMG_7680.jpeg

I know he is effing fast, and has impressed me when I have seen him. That said, speed when you are playing for a poor team means you always have ground to run into. not sure how useful that is against the low block

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DannyLB said:

Yawn, I am so over Reece James' injuries. I've said it recently Gusto will prove to be the smartest signing made. 

Yes. Gusto was really impressive in preseason. Kind of expected James would be done for some part of the season anyway. Didn’t think it would be so quick. Am more upset by Nkunku as we genuinely don’t have anyone of his ability in the squad. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

54 minutes ago, Original 21 said:

Also, weren’t we supposed to be loaning them Lewis Hall only for him to end up at Newcastle? Could be that cheesed them off. 

This was my first thought. I can imagine we were more brash/less discrete in talking to Olise's representatives before talking to Palace, but the very act of doing it seems unlikely to be the problem given Palace will absolutely be doing the same thing themselves. My guess, we smoothed over any upset there by agreeing to send Hall on loan and then completely enraged Palace by reneging on it. They've had a difficult summer, up until last week or so had brought in only one player on a free having lost 4 or 5 of their most experienced players and I expect really could not afford to be spending time getting a deal done only to have the rug pulled from underneath them. I can see them being less inclined to look the other way after that happened.

Edited by thevelourfog
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Original 21 said:

Can’t say I know much about this guy…

IMG_7680.jpeg

He is a pretty good young player. If he was coming here as something different and something we don't have, then I would say he would probably do well. However, coming here up against good competition in his area of play, and with him only having one promising season at this level, it all just feels like the wrong move.

He is very quick and hard working, likes to run at players and tends to beat them with strong direct running.  I just think he would end up getting swallowed up here a bit. I think he needs another season with Forest where he can play most weeks and develop further.

He also makes me feel old, as I am now at that age where I can clearly remember his dad playing when I was early 20's !

Edited by Thiago97

42 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

I know he is effing fast, and has impressed me when I have seen him. That said, speed when you are playing for a poor team means you always have ground to run into. not sure how useful that is against the low block

Good young player. Have watched him several times for Wales and he's always stood out. Pissed me off on Saturday missing a huge chance to put Forest 1-0 up at Arsenal.

Just now, Backbiter said:

Good young player. Have watched him several times for Wales and he's always stood out. Pissed me off on Saturday missing a huge chance to put Forest 1-0 up at Arsenal.

"Missed a huge chance" That's our guy , tell me has he got dodgy hamstrings too?

• Haha 4