Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

2 hours ago, Ham said:

We had to walk away from Olise because we'd been caught red-handed tapping him up. 

20220830_220912.jpg

Reminds of this story from 2017:

Liverpool are likely to escape punishment from the Premier League for the alleged tapping-up of the Southampton defender Virgil van Dijk, with the heat over the row having fizzled out.

It had ignited at the beginning of June, when Southampton were furious to read that Van Dijk was keen to join Liverpool, having been won over, in part, by the vision of Jürgen Klopp.

They reported Liverpool to the Premier League, arguing Van Dijk ought not to have been privy to any vision of Klopp’s as the Anfield club had not made an official approach for the player.

Southampton felt Liverpool’s fingerprints had been on the newspaper stories while it was reported at the time Klopp had met Van Dijk in Blackpool to discuss the transfer.

Saints are aware direct and indirect approaches for players are commonplace – even if the practice is forbidden – but, in this instance, they felt they needed to take a stand, believing Liverpool to have been too blatant in overstepping the mark.

Southampton have insisted Van Dijk is not for sale while it was clear they wanted to send out the message they would not be pushed around by a bigger club. Their action led to Liverpool into making an apology, which served to calm the situation – particularly as they also promised to drop their interest in Van Dijk.

The Premier League looked at Southampton’s complaint and they asked Liverpool for their version of events but they did not launch a formal investigation. It was believed Southampton had the evidence to incriminate Liverpool but, in the weeks that have followed the complaint, they have not put it forward.

It is not thought likely they will do so, leading the league to conclude the clubs have resolved their differences and the matter can be left to lie.

Clearly stuck to their promise.

29 minutes ago, Bison said:

Nice. 

We should give them 6 points as well just to make their lives even easier. 

Probably benefits us to have £35m profit come into next year's accounts tbh, that's when the lack of CL money will hit. We aren't going to be raking in fees like we did this summer.

So, Hall off to Newcastle, the club he supported as a kid living in Slough? Ziyech failed another medical, makes the whole PSG thing even more embarrassing. Olise off, let's wait to hear what we did wrong this time. James injured (again), who knows for how long, and Chalobah injured too. Just another Thursday at Chelsea FC.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Original 21 said:

IMG_7678.jpeg

£28m. Why not just give him to them for free. We want to buy someone like Hall from let’s say Newcastle we’re quoted £40m+ minimum. 

6 hours ago, xceleryx said:

Sure, but this doesn't answer the question in where exactly you expect Hall to play outside of his position generally speaking being a midfielder (which I agree he is). 

We play a double pivot which means it suits a particular type of midfielder and Hall does not fit that billing…

Not this old chestnut again. A midfielder who can’t play midfield? Playing a pivot isn’t much different from playing a 442. Honestly, some of you are way to clever for your own good. It’s football, playing a CM in a 4231 or a 442 or a 433 isn’t that much different. It’s just numbers on a board. 

3 hours ago, Rob B said:

Given that he's 18, and we have probably churned through a manager every season or two for the last 20 years, I think the phrase "we play a double pivot" is a bit of a stretch! 

Firstly, I think Poch has showed his tactically flexibility already against Liverpool by playing Chilwell in front of Colwill as a left-winger, but irrespective we have no idea whether he will change to play 3-5-2 or 4-3-3 at times, both of which he has used elsewhere previously.  And furthermore, if Poch is even going to be here in a year or two's time!?  I hope he is btw, but Hall would still only be 19-20! 

More to the point however, I actually believe Hall has the technical and physical attributes to play in a 6 on the left-hand side, or in the three on the left (same as Maatsen did in pre-season) as an 8 in a 4-3-3 or as a left-back / left-wing back (much more capably than Cucerella although accept there is still work to be done).  So if anything, Hall is exactly the sort of player you want in your squad.

Incredibly short-sighted from us, and even more frustrating when you see us linked with average players like Brennan Johnson from Notts Forest on the same day?!  What are we playing at?!

Quite. 

3 hours ago, Ham said:

We had to walk away from Olise because we'd been caught red-handed tapping him up. 

20220830_220912.jpg

3 hours ago, McCreadie said:

Not sure what tapping up even means these days. Every player is sounded out about a prospective move in advance of a bid. It happens in almost every transfer. Except Caicedo to Liverpool…

What MCreadie said. Every single transfer being made today is made AFTER you’ve sounded out the players representation. Why would you go a whole summer to negotiate with a club only to find out the player doesn’t wanna join you? 

2 hours ago, Original 21 said:

Can’t say I know much about this guy…

IMG_7680.jpeg

He isn’t from the Chelsea academy so… Let’s throw some money on him! 

James out for up to four months if he has the same hamstring operation as KdB. 

Not too upset about Olise but that news is catastrophic. 

I tell you what, if Gusto, Colwill, Sanchez or Jackson get injured now we are f**ked.

4 minutes ago, Morgs said:

James out for up to four months if he has the same hamstring operation as KdB. 

Not too upset about Olise but that news is catastrophic. 

I tell you what, if Gusto, Colwill, Sanchez or Jackson get injured now we are f**ked.

Never fear, I'm sure Lukaku and Ziyech will deputise admirably. 

4 minutes ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

Reecey is my fave player but why give him the captaincy if he’s never going to play? 😔 

We must insist he has an operation to sort this out once and for all even if it means he misses a few months, we have to either get him right or and I hate to even type this, move him on, particularly given the pure profit that Clearlake would do back flips over. 

• Agree 2

15 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

We must insist he has an operation to sort this out once and for all even if it means he misses a few months, we have to either get him right or and I hate to even type this, move him on, particularly given the pure profit that Clearlake would do back flips over. 

Who’d buy him. He never plays. 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

That's a shame. He would have offered us something no other Chelsea player has done for a while... intelligent (i.e. look up and pick out a target) crosses into the box, rather than "cross and hope someone gets near it" balls. He could also have deputised for Nkunku in the second striker role.

Not to mention set-pieces. He’s got a mean free kick in him. Not sure we have too many of those in this squad. Nkunku, perhaps Chilly but after that? 

• Agree 1

22 minutes ago, Ham said:

Forgot to post this the other day.  This is after the Caicedo transfer....

20230814_152336.thumb.jpg.012f5b954d15d0b5eb1585cc28538a6a.jpg

Combined with last season I guess it would look a lot different though, most likely top of the chart?

I posted yesterday that we are fine with FFP, but cash flow is probably an issue. Any sales required are probably to service debt rather than for FFP. Hope we're not going the glazer route - which from a fan perspective is terrible, but must be an amazing investment for them should they sell

This new era is very exciting but very nerve wracking at the same time. But I guess despite all the misgivings we are building an amazing squad, and i do have faith they know what they're doing financially if nothing else

19 minutes ago, Lump Of Celery said:

Combined with last season I guess it would look a lot different though, most likely top of the chart?

I posted yesterday that we are fine with FFP, but cash flow is probably an issue. Any sales required are probably to service debt rather than for FFP. Hope we're not going the glazer route - which from a fan perspective is terrible, but must be an amazing investment for them should they sell

This new era is very exciting but very nerve wracking at the same time. But I guess despite all the misgivings we are building an amazing squad, and i do have faith they know what they're doing financially if nothing else

We still have shirt and sleeve sponsors to announce/find. That's a possible £75m/year based on similar deals with "top four" clubs.

Given how much news has been generated by our squad revamp ("no such thing as bad publicity" etc), should we get off to a good start and show ourselves capable of qualifying for the Champions League, I doubt we'll be without sponsors for very long (indeed we already seem to have one lined up, subject to PL/FA approval).

Given how the new owners have operated thus far - long contracts, low base wages with higher incentives, etc. - in a way not previously seen in the PL (and certainly never on such a scale), I wouldn't be surprised if they pull another rabbit out of the hat in terms of previously unheard of operating procedures and finding new revenue streams.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

We still have shirt and sleeve sponsors to announce/find. That's a possible £75m/year based on similar deals with "top four" clubs.

Given how much news has been generated by our squad revamp ("no such thing as bad publicity" etc), should we get off to a good start and show ourselves capable of qualifying for the Champions League, I doubt we'll be without sponsors for very long (indeed we already seem to have one lined up, subject to PL/FA approval).

Given how the new owners have operated thus far - long contracts, low base wages with higher incentives, etc. - in a way not previously seen in the PL (and certainly never on such a scale), I wouldn't be surprised if they pull another rabbit out of the hat in terms of previously unheard of operating procedures and finding new revenue streams.

I agree with all of this, and I don't fear us going under. I'm also aware that Clearlake's intentions are to make us as profitable and healthy as possible. But on the sponsorship point we've always had a sponsor anyway so it's not a ±75m just a plus whatever we had before (-minus the month we've already missed)

Just feel a lot of trepidation that we're stepping into the unknown, and also that the new owners might be looking at things on a pure investment basis.

I'm not trying to be all doom and gloom either. As i said before I'm very excited about the squad we now have, and I wanted Poch as manager. As a fan looking at the first team squad building it's happy days, but there are a lot of other factors we care about where there are big question marks. Let's not kid ourselves, we're being run by investment bankers not Chelsea fans or even "soccer" fans, and that is worrying that they don't have the same cares that most fans do. I also appreciate fans cares don't align with running a successful business, but it is a balancing act because this isn't just a business it's the famous CFC 💙 

• Agree 1