Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

As I recall..OG memory so could be wrong...one of the points touted when the new rulers came on board was the clear,,to me anyway..indication that they would be looking at more innovative ways to increase revenue,,,which of course is just not at the turnstiles and once the initial turmoil (hardly surprising and with hindsight serious enough to have doomed Chelsea as a viable business/football entity.).. subsided a little that appears to be what they are doing...we may question some of the actions but the longer things go on the less "amateurish" and "naive" the set up is beginning to look.

Early mistakes seem to have been learnt from and,again, we may question things but "they" seem to have a long term business plan...we can only hope it brings stability albeit down the road somewhat.......a clear look at other clubs gives a slightly less "cozy" picture despite the media "affections" for certain clubs.

And yes..it makes me nervous but any group that can clear the decks of all the players that we fans have been calling to be "moved on" can't be all bad.

Forget the emotional attachment to certain players..that's in our minds and part of our collective fantasy about the game😆

• Agree 1

I see there are rumours that Liberpool are in for Amrabat, the Moroccan holding midfielder. I dont know how good he has been for Fiorentina, but he was brilliant for Morocco in the World Cup - I thought he was their standout player.

Obviously we should go for him as a matter of principle, if not policy!

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, chara said:

As I recall..OG memory so could be wrong...one of the points touted when the new rulers came on board was the clear,,to me anyway..indication that they would be looking at more innovative ways to increase revenue,,,which of course is just not at the turnstiles and once the initial turmoil (hardly surprising and with hindsight serious enough to have doomed Chelsea as a viable business/football entity.).. subsided a little that appears to be what they are doing...we may question some of the actions but the longer things go on the less "amateurish" and "naive" the set up is beginning to look.

Early mistakes seem to have been learnt from and,again, we may question things but "they" seem to have a long term business plan...we can only hope it brings stability albeit down the road somewhat.......a clear look at other clubs gives a slightly less "cozy" picture despite the media "affections" for certain clubs.

And yes..it makes me nervous but any group that can clear the decks of all the players that we fans have been calling to be "moved on" can't be all bad.

Forget the emotional attachment to certain players..that's in our minds and part of our collective fantasy about the game😆

Massively paraphrasing here but -

Forget about the emotional attachment to players... Trust in the business plan, the new owners will increase revenues in an innovative way and bring stability

The only thing that would make this acceptable is winning numerous trophies along the way. I couldn't give a toss about profit and loss accounts. All we have as fans is our emotions towards the club and players, what do revenues matter

I've just realised our longest serving player is probably Reece James! Hard to have much emotional attachment to this playing squad right now.  These new players need to go out and give their all to win things to earn our affection, like previous club legends have. 

As per my previous post, this isn't just a business its the famous CFC! We shouldn't aspire to stability or being a profitable business

16 minutes ago, Lump Of Celery said:

Massively paraphrasing here but -

Forget about the emotional attachment to players... Trust in the business plan, the new owners will increase revenues in an innovative way and bring stability

The only thing that would make this acceptable is winning numerous trophies along the way. I couldn't give a toss about profit and loss accounts. All we have as fans is our emotions towards the club and players, what do revenues matter

I've just realised our longest serving player is probably Reece James! Hard to have much emotional attachment to this playing squad right now.  These new players need to go out and give their all to win things to earn our affection, like previous club legends have. 

As per my previous post, this isn't just a business its the famous CFC! We shouldn't aspire to stability or being a profitable business

Of course I agree as a fan but without business stability we will see CFC go to the wall in terms of top level football....when we look back at the truly dark days it's easy to see how close Chelsea was to fading away...a last minute get out of jail moment saved us from the old third division...CFC hasn't got the RA life jacket/parachute any more unlike  Citeh and Newcastle with their  financial security blankets.

I don't watch Chelsea with a balance sheet on my lap or at the forefront of my thoughts but when you read the depth and breadth of the Financial debates on here it is clear that most members are aware of the need for sustainability.

I'm as much a victim of emotional attachment as any but the MM fiasco showed how fragile that connection can be and how ultimately as often as not one sided..it's the two way attachments that keep us going.!

10 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Not this old chestnut again. A midfielder who can’t play midfield? Playing a pivot isn’t much different from playing a 442. Honestly, some of you are way to clever for your own good. It’s football, playing a CM in a 4231 or a 442 or a 433 isn’t that much different. It’s just numbers on a board. 

Really isn't the same at all, if it was every CM would be universal and that's certainly not the case. Alas, certain profiles fit certain roles within certain systems. A lot like it is with other positions in this day and age. We're not in 1970 any more.

But I'l take your lack of a proper answer for what it is.

6 hours ago, RDCW said:

I see there are rumours that Liberpool are in for Amrabat, the Moroccan holding midfielder. I dont know how good he has been for Fiorentina, but he was brilliant for Morocco in the World Cup - I thought he was their standout player.

Obviously we should go for him as a matter of principle, if not policy!

Not really a holding midfielder in a defensive sense, he's more equipped as a deep-lying playmaker that's good technically and capable of spraying the ball around. 

Would obviously be a good backup for Enzo and Lavia, I expect our interest to be peaked rather soon.

7 hours ago, Lump Of Celery said:

I agree with all of this, and I don't fear us going under. I'm also aware that Clearlake's intentions are to make us as profitable and healthy as possible. But on the sponsorship point we've always had a sponsor anyway so it's not a ±75m just a plus whatever we had before (-minus the month we've already missed)

Just feel a lot of trepidation that we're stepping into the unknown, and also that the new owners might be looking at things on a pure investment basis.

I'm not trying to be all doom and gloom either. As i said before I'm very excited about the squad we now have, and I wanted Poch as manager. As a fan looking at the first team squad building it's happy days, but there are a lot of other factors we care about where there are big question marks. Let's not kid ourselves, we're being run by investment bankers not Chelsea fans or even "soccer" fans, and that is worrying that they don't have the same cares that most fans do. I also appreciate fans cares don't align with running a successful business, but it is a balancing act because this isn't just a business it's the famous CFC 💙 

I think a big part of it from a fan perspective is whether you follow sports outside of football, specially within the American market. If you do then it's likely a less unfamiliar approach in ways and therefore any concerns sort of get pushed aside somewhat. Sure, the extremes we've gone to are abnormal within the football world but these are methods that our ownership will be quite accustom with from their involvement within other sporting landscapes. 

From a personal perspective I hold little reservations with what we're doing. It's in the absolute best interest of ownership to be making us successful, with success comes greater financial benefits and ultimately that leaves everyone happy. In ways it's kinda refreshing to see us working outside the box a little. 

As long as we don't lose the fabric of the club itself in the process I've got few qualms, for now anyway.

• Thanks 1

I am a little more mixed. I see it as a cost-benefit thing. I can clearly see the benefits of some of the changes, including most of the Summer transfer business, though I also question the amounts involved and would have probably wanted to walk away from some of these deals.  But I want to mitigate the costs - sometimes irrationally so because I am emotionally involved. I want to keep the players I like, not because they are the best option but because they are our players. That means I become really inconsistent. I see the need to use the academy to generate revenue, but when it comes to specific individuals, then I regret losing them, especially those that have been with us for a long time. I feel we should reward their loyalty. I will even fool myself into overrating them in order to convince myself that they are better than they actually are. And so on. However, if we are signing players on long deals, it means we will have players who will become loyal to Chelsea over their senior careers. Is it better to have a Mount or an Azpi? It also means that we will develop a lot of young players who will not make it into the senior squad. It makes sense to let them go to other clubs and, while doing so, get the best deal to support ours. In the end, the academy's job is to develop players to be the best that they can be. Some will make it to the first team, and some won't make it. Some will go to other clubs to continue their journey.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

News that City are looking to move on Cole Palmer , surely we should be all over that? Every time I've seen him play he's looked excellent and a difference maker . 

I think it's more a case of the player knowing his level already and wanting more game time rather than the club wanting rid, but yes, if true, we should be all over him.  City have the same "problem" as we have; an academy that produces many young talented players who simply can't all make it to the first team.  Carlos Borges was their Lewis Hall .

Hopefully it's a loan with an option to buy, rather than an obligation to buy. Gives Newcastle an incentive to play him as much  as possible, but if he does well and Chelsea can convince him he has a future he won't accept the transfer even if Newcastle try to use the option.

8 minutes ago, chiswickblue said:

Hopefully it's a loan with an option to buy, rather than an obligation to buy. Gives Newcastle an incentive to play him as much  as possible, but if he does well and Chelsea can convince him he has a future he won't accept the transfer even if Newcastle try to use the option.

8 minutes ago, chiswickblue said:

I believe his entire family are Newcastle supporters , Newcastle want to buy him but due to FFP constraints they cannot do so this season , it's a loan with a mandate to a permanent transfer 

He's gone . 

15 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I believe his entire family are Newcastle supporters , Newcastle want to buy him but due to FFP constraints they cannot do so this season , it's a loan with a mandate to a permanent transfer 

He's gone . 

I know it's clutching at straws, but some outlets (such as the Secret Scout) are reporting it as an option rather than an obligation.

6 hours ago, xceleryx said:

Really isn't the same at all, if it was every CM would be universal and that's certainly not the case. Alas, certain profiles fit certain roles within certain systems. A lot like it is with other positions in this day and age. We're not in 1970 any more.

But I'l take your lack of a proper answer for what it is.

Of course every midfielder isn’t universal. But the difference between 4231 and 442 is very small. If you want to simplify it, just means one striker is slightly withdrawn to play between the lines. The midfield roles aren’t that much different, you still have one partner where the exact roles will depend on the partnership. 

You make it sound like a midfielder who has grown up playing 433/4231/343 or various versions of it, can’t play in the pivot. Honestly, how many games have you even seen Hall in midfield to make that call? Plus, the lad is 18 ffs. 

We’re not in the 70’s? No, but we are still talking about football.