Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

11 hours ago, Rob B said:

I’m really not sure any fans are pinning for 17 -18 year olds from South America?! 

It’s Kennedy, Nathan, Wallace,  Piazon all over again.  One or two that you truly believe in is fine, but our approach just feels so scatter gun and chaotic. 

And yeah you’re right, these guys pale in comparison to Enzo, Caicedo, Lavia etc in terms of FFP,  but if you are buying a dozen of them, some of them at €20m a pop, it quickly adds up! 

And to reiterate, I’m fine with that as the owners can spend their money as they wish, but when it’s to the detriment of our own academy stars, and they are being used to balance the books, I have an issue.

Specifically, maybe not. But there's been plenty of moan and groan over the years about us not signing more young talent in general earlier than we have and that's now being rectified - albeit to an arguably more extreme degree.

Sure, buy enough of anything and it'll add up at the end of the day. That being said, we can also sell one or two of these players 12-24 months later and turn ample profit to provide additional buffer room. In part that's the beauty of this is in ways and why signing young talent in and around this price range has plenty of upside. Maybe they'll prove to be good enough for us, if not because of the way amortisation works with FFP, their reasonable transfer fees paid, the lower wages, and the nature of the transfer, it does mean a profit can easily be achieved if sold. 

Each to their own I suppose. It's not as if I don't want academy kids to succeed, but at the end of the day I want Chelsea FC to be the best team it can possibly be and containing the best players it can possibly attract, all of which should in theory mean we're back competing at the pointy end on a consistent basis like we were in the early to mid 2000's when it was just JT holding the academy flag alone. Like with most things there's a time and place, and that applies with the home grown talent we develop. 

6 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Just fatty to go now. 

Looking like we're going to be stuck with him at this point.

The Saudi door looks to be closed as the only side that was interested in signing him just signed Mitrovic. 

Juve can't buy him unless they sell Vlahovic, and that hugely depends on their 70 odd million valuation being met. As of right now they're selling others to try and balance the books and to avoid having to sell someone Chiesa. 

At this point there's no other interest for him.

Will make for an interesting next two weeks. 

3 hours ago, xceleryx said:

The Saudi door looks to be closed as the only side that was interested in signing him just signed Mitrovic. 

Juve can't buy him unless they sell Vlahovic, and that hugely depends on their 70 odd million valuation being met. As of right now they're selling others to try and balance the books and to avoid having to sell someone Chiesa. 

Maybe someone will get an injury and might sign him.

Or his really dream role may come up - I heard that Gregg’s are hiring. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Good riddance. One of the worst signings we’ve ever made. He doesn’t even look like a footballer, makes Anelka look like someone chewing happy pills on the daily. 

I can honestly say I wish him no well at all. Wonder how many players he managed to drag with him together with Auba and some of the other primadonnas we had here last season. Let that be a lesson, you don’sign talent first and foremost. You sign attitude and mentality. In that regard Ziyech is barely a League One player.

Feel sorry for the Gala fans. But at least he ain’t our problem anymore. Miserable sod. 

Just fatty to go now. 

He’ll do okay in Turkey I think. Looking forward to drawing them in the CL next year and him turning into Prime Messi against us like he did for Ajax.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, xceleryx said:

West Ham linked, you just know it’ll be a no obligation loan and we pay half his wages…

7 minutes ago, Morgs said:

He’ll do okay in Turkey I think. Looking forward to drawing them in the CL next year and him turning into Prime Messi against us like he did for Ajax.

I seriously doubt he’ll do much of note in Turkey. The lad is finished, he didn’t even have a very good World Cup for a team that was the surprise of the tournament. Body composition of a 12 year old. Mental strength of a toddler. 

6 minutes ago, Morgs said:

West Ham linked, you just know it’ll be a no obligation loan and we pay half his wages…

I’d send him there with us paying his full wages at this point in time. Will serve as an important lesson for Boehly and Co to note how badly it can go if you buy an obviously Ill-fitted player on massive wages. 

Just now, Sleeping Dave said:

I seriously doubt he’ll do much of note in Turkey. The lad is finished, he didn’t even have a very good World Cup for a team that was the surprise of the tournament. Body composition of a 12 year old. Mental strength of a toddler. 

I’d send him there with us paying his full wages at this point in time. Will serve as an important lesson for Boehly and Co to note how badly it can go if you buy an obviously Ill-fitted player on massive wages. 

I’m with you to a large degree my siesta-loving friend, but all I’d suggest is that in theory, at the time he was a good purchase; here’s a real Chelsea fan, given a (very rare) for a chance at redemption and to follow in Drogba’s footsteps - a player he apparently admires. Peak of his career, established international, proven to a good degree in the PL. He even started well. Goodness knows what happened! 

6 minutes ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

I’m with you to a large degree my siesta-loving friend, but all I’d suggest is that in theory, at the time he was a good purchase; here’s a real Chelsea fan, given a (very rare) for a chance at redemption and to follow in Drogba’s footsteps - a player he apparently admires. Peak of his career, established international, proven to a good degree in the PL. He even started well. Goodness knows what happened! 

What happened was his ego. Unfortunately that will still be there. In my opinion Lukaku is running a real risk of finishing his career prematurely because of it (and being badly advised). At this point he should beg the Saudis for an offer. 

• Agree 1

I was looking at the table of potential outgoings today. There are two kinds of situations, those that have a high ongoing liability and those that can be used to generate capital. They have completely different profiles. The first includes players like Lukaku. He has an ongoing liability of £101.30m (this is the sum of wages and depreciation payments over the course of his contract). Malang Sarr is another example, albeit with smaller values, His ongoing liability is £31.2m.  If you let them go on a free, that is the money you save. But it's at the cost of writing off assets worth £75.9m and £12.48m, respectively. The driver for letting these go is to reduce the club's costs. The second group is those that may be used to generate capital to offset costs or supplement revenue. Generally, these are ex-academy players. They have no depreciation liability and low wages. Examples are Gallagher and Chalobah. The liability is wages which are very low (£5.2m and 13m, respectively). However, their sale is pure profit, and so they might generate tens of millions. This should be seen as less "exceptional", i.e. young players are sold every season. Given all this, I would be tempted to keep Gallagher and Chalobah for this season (because the cost is low), but it might be that FFP demands that we try to balance our books earlier.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

Maybe someone will get an injury and might sign him.

Or his really dream role may come up - I heard that Gregg’s are hiring. 

Looking like the only hope at this stage, or Spurs if they're desperate for a Kane replacement.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, Morgs said:

Ziyech officially gone, thank God. 

Another nice chunk of wages off the books. 

He was on peanuts. Compared to someone like Cucurella, Forfana, Enzo to name a few of the latest recruits. 
if you are playing bashing get your ducks in a row first. 

11 minutes ago, ROTG said:

He was on peanuts. Compared to someone like Cucurella, Forfana, Enzo to name a few of the latest recruits. 
if you are playing bashing get your ducks in a row first. 

That’s not the point, Your Grace. Whatever it was was a waste. And what have the other players got to do with it?

15 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

Really?  How do you know how much he was being paid?

We don't. We only know rumours, though occasionally the figure is leaked by agents who are looking to demonstrate the good deals they get for their clients. Spotrac say that Ziyech was on £5.2m p.a., which is less than some and more than others. It may or may not be right. 

22 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

Really?  How do you know how much he was being paid?

Let’s not down this avenue, it’s not rocket science how to find out player’s earnings.

Alternatively if salaries are a secret is pillsbury dough boy on really on £350k per week or is it just speculation on this forum by some mischievous members 😀

28 minutes ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

That’s not the point, Your Grace. Whatever it was was a waste. And what have the other players got to do with it?

Hello Mr Door,

Not going down that road, let’s see where the club ends up at at the end of the season and the impact of these highly paid new recruits. 

ROTG

32 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

Tell him he won't play for Chelsea ever again and I'll bet my last pound that Lumpty Dumpty  will find a new club faster than he downs a bucket of KFC.

Based on Pochettino's press conference on Friday, Lukaku knows this.

From The Guardian:

❝The aim is still to sell Lukaku and the Saudi window does not shut until 20 September. Hopes of a rapprochement are low. Chelsea and Lukaku were seeking to end the relationship long before Pochettino took over in June and the impression is of a player who has checked out mentally. “Nothing changed,” Chelsea’s head coach said before Sunday’s trip to West Ham. “I didn’t talk with him. The situation was clear before we arrived between the club and the player.”

Pressed further, Pochettino made clear he was not thinking about reintegrating Lukaku if nothing has changed after the window shuts. “We need to be focused on the team. We cannot expend energy on a situation that was clear before we started at Chelsea.”❞

From The Metro:

❝When asked if Lukaku could return if he fails to secure a move away from Chelsea this summer, Pochettino said: ‘It is not only one side – it is two sides needed to find the best solution.  You cannot put it only on the club, it is about both sides. The situation is where it is because of both sides. Both sides have arrived at an agreement.'

‘We were informed before we signed about the situation of every single player. After we signed, we had the squad that we had.'

‘It is so clear that nothing has changed, and if there is something to inform then we will inform. There is nothing for us to do – I need to be focused on my team to try to perform.'

‘We cannot spend energy on a situation that was clear before we arrived at Chelsea.’❞

Plenty of similar articles elsewhere.  

Essentially when Pochettino was in negotiations to become Chelsea manager he was made aware that a) the club wanted rid of Lukaku and b) Lukaku equally wanted to leave.  Lukaku was never going to be a squad option. Pochettino is fine with this.  He's not even spoken to him, and by the sound of things, in his mind, Lukaku doesn't even exist. The only ones that exist are the players who have chosen Chelsea.

The problem is Chelsea aren't the only club that don't want Lukaku.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

55 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

Tell him he won't play for Chelsea ever again and I'll bet my last pound that Lumpty Dumpty  will find a new club faster than he downs a bucket of KFC.

The problem is finding a club that not only wants him, but can also afford him. Without that being satisfied he'll be enjoying an extended off-season until January at the very least.

27 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

The problem is finding a club that not only wants him, but can also afford him. Without that being satisfied he'll be enjoying an extended off-season until January at the very least.

Both sides know they are going to have to accept a significant financial hit to resolve this. The club on the transfer fee and player with a big reduction on wages and both will be willing to accept the losses to finally part ways. Lukaku is an extremely wealthy man so I can't see wages being an issue. I think he's just looking for somewhere to play where he'll be happy to see out the final years of his career.