Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

Those hammering our attacking options and comparing against our rivals would do well to remember that we were firing in pre-season thanks to the link to between Nkunku and Jackson and then lost the former.  Then Carney puts his scoring boots on with a fantastic goal and does his MCL.  

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Ham said:

Those hammering our attacking options and comparing against our rivals would do well to remember that we were firing in pre-season thanks to the link to between Nkunku and Jackson and then lost the former.  Then Carney puts his scoring boots on with a fantastic goal and does his MCL.  

I’m assuming you mean me mate?  Just quote me in future 😀

Since when has pre-season been a barometer for anything other than fitness?? We’ve not won a game in pre-season previously and gone on to win the league, and had other pre-seasons where we’ve won every game and the manager has been sacked 3 months later. 

I don’t need to remember anything, I called it in pre-season and all the signs are there two games in.  Respectfully, because I like Carney - and probably more than most on here actually, but this was his first premier league goal!!  The problems exist with or without him. 

Jackson, Broja, Nkunku, Carney, Mudryk, and Madueke have less than 10 premier league goals between them.   Aside from Sterling that is our entire strike-force.  

All of the good things aside, that is a real problem for the coaches. 

53 minutes ago, Original 21 said:

We got a new keeper…

IMG_7703.jpeg

My cup overfloweth!

Only grasping at straws ... I remember years ago someone forecasting that the first top players to UK etc from the States would be keepers.....some really good ones came but no absolutely top ones.

8 minutes ago, Rob B said:

I’m assuming you mean me mate?  Just quote me in future 😀

Since when has pre-season been a barometer for anything other than fitness?? We’ve not won a game in pre-season previously and gone on to win the league, and had other pre-seasons where we’ve won every game and the manager has been sacked 3 months later. 

I don’t need to remember anything, I called it in pre-season and all the signs are there two games in.  Respectfully, because I like Carney - and probably more than most on here actually, but this was his first premier league goal!!  The problems exist with or without him. 

Jackson, Broja, Nkunku, Carney, Mudryk, and Madueke have less than 10 premier league goals between them.   Aside from Sterling that is our entire strike-force.  

All of the good things aside, that is a real problem for the coaches. 

No I wasn't specifically referring to you as many have slaughtered our attack since yesterday. 

You just happened to list our rival's options.  

9 hours ago, Holymoly said:

Tbh we should never have let him go in the first place. In other news I see CHO is being chased by Fulham, Everton and Forest. Do you think we could get the bidding up to £100m?

Yes we should have, he's a bang average player that's hugely reliant on having a midfield built around him to accomodate his feeble physique, lack of leg speed, and sieve like defence. While many Brighton fan's are pleased with him, many also acknowledged it was imperative he has a quicker, more physical and defensively effective partner to offset it all. 

If he couldn't pass, which is by far his best quality, he'd be a rather irrelevant at the top level. 

9 hours ago, Ham said:

Which begs the question how do we mitigate this? These regular injuries have been consistent for us for a long time. Do we need triple the amount of backup in each position. It's getting annoying. 

13 minutes ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

Which begs the question how do we mitigate this? These regular injuries have been consistent for us for a long time. Do we need triple the amount of backup in each position. It's getting annoying. 

Nothing to do with injuries and is a poor excuse if being used as all team get them. "chitty have just lost here most influential player and no change" 

Unfortunately it is player quality at the club, with Sunday being a perfect example of a player people call a waste of money at £45m and on £350k per week was the most impressive Chelsea player on the park. "let say he earns his money"

Friday 10pm the team being the best thing since otto rohwedder, will rise like a phoenix from the flames 😀

Keep the faith 

Edited by ROTG

14 minutes ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

That’s Carney out for the season. They all appear to be knee and hamstring injuries. If I owned CFC I’d have a root and branch investigation into the medical team and dismiss those not up to it. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

That’s Carney out for the season. They all appear to be knee and hamstring injuries. If I owned CFC I’d have a root and branch investigation into the medical team and dismiss those not up to it. 

Didn't they already do that?

I'm sure I read that they sacked the entire medical department and then had to go cap in hand to the bloke they sacked begging him to come back and now he does one day per week as a consultant !

Everything needs looking at , diet , boots , exercise regimes (you would know far me than me about that) , the playing surface , the type of training , cooling down exercise , everything 

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

I would be interesting to know how many serious injuries are coming on the new playing surface they call the carpet. I believe it is a hybrid mixture of grass and artificial and was only laid in the summer at west ham, however there are other ground using the same type of pitch

Off to google 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Morgs said:

It cant just be bad luck. 

I suspect, as with most bad things that happen, there is a combination of factors as to why.

There has to be questions asked about the medical staff and their ability after last season's horror show which has continued into this season in more or less the worst way imaginable. 

Too many games in the Tuchel regime, players worked too hard and not given enough recovery time will mean more injuries in some cases. Whilst this does nothing to explain the injuries from the players who weren't here in the Tuchel times, it may explain the Reece James and Ben Chilwell merry-go-round of season-defining serious injuries to name two. 

We get pressed and harried every game we play and West Ham was the classic example. Our attacking players get kicked off the park and teams know we struggle to resist hard pressing. Undeniably we are better equipped on that score this season than last but I think if you are getting bundled to the turf every time you drop a shoulder and try to turn, then muscle injuries will take a toll. Getting knocked down, getting up, moving from standing start to sprint, getting knocked down, getting up, rinse repeat etc all takes a toll. The hyper-physical nature of the Prem and the lack of protection from officials all makes things worse.

Poch is a fitness nut and has been working the guys very hard in pre-season with a lot of cardio and some players will find that hard to adjust to after a lot of previous injuries and stop and start spells of fitness. 

I think 50% is just "when you're down you're down." - Lady Luck despises Chelsea. Her favourite pastime is going to ever more obscure and extreme lengths to punish us. She's one of those thousand pound an hour super high end Dominatrixes who makes you sign a waiver before your session with her so that you cant sue when she puts you in hospital. She treats everyone else with balance and equal treatment more or less, but where we are concerned she's there in her bright red latex catsuit, reaching for a cheesegrater, steel ankle and wrist restraints, sandpaper, an alarmingly big rattan cane collection and a tumescent strap-on so large and veiny that it is visible on Google Earth when it isn't being used to tear-jerking, misery-inducing, hope-destroying effect on anything and anyone associated with Chelsea.  It shouldn't come as much of a surprise that a lot of her red leather and PVC items of clothing have "STANDARD CHARTERED" or "EMIRATES" or "TEAMVIEWER" sponsorship emblazoned on them. You cant say which of course as you cant get a good look at her as you tend to have your eyes screwed shut, praying for it all to end, wishing fervently you weren't a Chelsea fan, whenever you meet her. 

And every time you think "Nah I'm sure she's done with us now. There is no way she can carry on abusing us like this." and she goes away and you are sure she's done and she's going to untie you from whatever nightmarish Medieval contraption she has us secured to and...... you heart sinks because she comes in holding sandpaper and a cattle prod shaped like a...

Yeah.

Sucks to be us. 

I feel like she went to Lanzarote on holiday both times we won the CL and it annoys her so much that she took time out of her busy and demanding hurt Chelsea schedule to allow us to win things that it adds a spite and desire for retribution that creeps into the way she treats us forever after.  The woman reads the papers and she HATES Chelsea. The more she hurts us the more she wants to. The louder we scream, the more tears we shed, the better she enjoys it.  We got lucky while she was away and we are going to PAY for it.

Her brother Murphy is a sadist as well and likes nothing better than sitting and watching his sister stub out his cigars on Chelsea's tortured dermis. 

Will she ever let us go? Will he ever take pity on us? 

Nope. 

😂 Your mind works in mysterious ways.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, ROTG said:

Nothing to do with injuries and is a poor excuse if being used as all team get them. "chitty have just lost here most influential player and no change" 

Unfortunately it is player quality at the club, with Sunday being a perfect example of a player people call a waste of money at £45m and on £350k per week was the most impressive Chelsea player on the park. "let say he earns his money"

Friday 10pm the team being the best thing since otto rohwedder, will rise like a phoenix from the flames 😀

Keep the faith 

It's one game. De Bruyne has missed one game. Sterling has produced one game to the level of Sunday in the last 7-8 months.

As good as Sterling was driving at people and causing problems or Sunday, there has been some glossing over terrible final ball on a good 3-4 occasions during that game. Anyway, I am not one of these who bash Sterling and it was good to see him look like the player he was....but it is one game so posting this as some kind of example of what is actual genuine player quality at the club seems a little of an overreaction. 

4 minutes ago, Thiago97 said:

It's one game. De Bruyne has missed one game. Sterling has produced one game to the level of Sunday in the last 7-8 months.

As good as Sterling was driving at people and causing problems or Sunday, there has been some glossing over terrible final ball on a good 3-4 occasions during that game. Anyway, I am not one of these who bash Sterling and it was good to see him look like the player he was....but it is one game so posting this as some kind of example of what is actual genuine player quality at the club seems a little of an overreaction. 

The context of my reply was using injuries for not delivering the goods is a poor excuse.

Just now, ROTG said:

The context of my reply was using injuries for not delivering the goods is a poor excuse.

I get that, but it is a justified excuse when you are already lacking in certain areas and have injuries. Not so much an excuse on the outcome of 1-2 isolated games, but over a period of time and games, if you are missing 4-5 quality first team options. It will have a negative impact on results and performances.

You can't tell me you don't think that had Chelsea been able to field Chilwell and James together another for 25 games than we actually have, we would have not seen our results be more positive than they have over the last 12 months ?

9 minutes ago, Thiago97 said:

I get that, but it is a justified excuse when you are already lacking in certain areas and have injuries. Not so much an excuse on the outcome of 1-2 isolated games, but over a period of time and games, if you are missing 4-5 quality first team options. It will have a negative impact on results and performances. - If that's the case then the season is already lost before it get into full swing if you are suggesting 4-5 quality players are on the sick list and are the difference to beating a club like west ham? - Maybe i am just misunderstanding you sentence.

You can't tell me you don't think that had Chelsea been able to field Chilwell and James together another for 25 games than we actually have, we would have not seen our results be more positive than they have over the last 12 months ? - Probably not, as our leadership decided to hire a nobody coach

This is another revisit at the midway point

5 minutes ago, Thiago97 said:

I get that, but it is a justified excuse when you are already lacking in certain areas and have injuries. Not so much an excuse on the outcome of 1-2 isolated games, but over a period of time and games, if you are missing 4-5 quality first team options. It will have a negative impact on results and performances.

You can't tell me you don't think that had Chelsea been able to field Chilwell and James together another for 25 games than we actually have, we would have not seen our results be more positive than they have over the last 12 months ?

Injuries are a massive part of it. 

We've been wedded to a wingback system for years and when you lack the flexibility to change then injuries will really hurt you. Typically, of course the major injuries we have had the last seasons, the ones that really did the crushing below-the-waterline damage were long term ones to our two wingbacks. 

So we saw the team wedded to a wingback system without wingbacks. Azpilicueta was a magnificent servant for us but playing him at wingback was only going to end one way. Cucurella? Well yes, the less said about him the better. You might also argue Alonso wasn't the best wingback either, wonderful and gifted player though he was. It goes deeper though. Because of the commitment to the wingback system we went out and bought a load of centrehalves who could only really function in a nice compact back three and didn't have the ability to switch to a back four in their lockers in many cases. So then you only play one way. You become easy to set up against and when your wingbacks are injured it doesnt work, only you cant change it because you don't have the defenders. 

Further up the pitch and looking at this season, you see a diamond-shaped front four of a main striker, two out and out wingers and a deep-lying second striker/playmaker behind the striker pushing up from midfield. If Jackson were to get injured we are stuffed as things stand, although there are options for the other three. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, ROTG said:

This is another revisit at the midway point

Pretty clear really. I even said it is not so much an excuse over 1-2 isolated games, but over time it clearly has an impact, as it would for any club. Nothing to revisit, its just common sense.

5 minutes ago, Thiago97 said:

Pretty clear really. I even said it is not so much an excuse over 1-2 isolated games, but over time it clearly has an impact, as it would for any club. Nothing to revisit, its just common sense.

I would seem you are hanging your hat on injuries if the season turns out to be a dud

20 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

Billy Gilmour is getting high praise for his performance over the weekend. A couple of more good games and I'll  expect a £150m bid from us in January. 

Another player we were way too quick to sell. We simply have no patience with young players unless we buy them for large fees from other clubs. 

12 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

So after spending nearly a billion, we could soon be lining up with Brighton's number 3 keeper and Arsenal's 5th choice striker. 😭 City must be pooing themselves at the thought of meeting us.

We’ve had a good window but have failed to adress 2/3 major issues in the squad. We could have spent a damn sight less than a billion and solved all three. 

12 hours ago, Rob B said:

I’m caught between not wanting any more signings and trying to settle / coach the group, but also knowing that we don’t have anywhere near enough goal scorers in the squad.

I think Jackson and Sterling are both good for 10-12 goals this season, but outside of that, and with Nkunku injured I think we’re going to struggle. 

Take Arsenal, they have Martinelli, Odegaard, Saka, Havertz and Nketiah on the pitch with Trossard on the bench, and Jesus injured.

Man City played Haaland, Alvarez, Grealish and Foden on the weekend, with Cole Palmer on the bench, and Silva / KDB to come back in.  

We have Mudryk and Madueke who have 1 goal between them, and possibly Gallagher to play as a 10 if he doesn’t get sold.  Our first choice striker has two PL games to his name, and our second choice has like 1 season at this level, and 7 goals.

I don’t want to come across as reactionary because I’m actually really excited by the squad generally - a huge amount of talent and the right manager to harness and develop that talent…. And we look fitter and generally “more up for it”  but I called it in pre-season that if we go into the season with Jackson and Broja as our strikers, particularly without bringing in another scoring attacker (Olise etc) it is beyond negligent. 

This is the right answer. What we need is another player who has the potential to score 10-15 league goals. Without that player we have no chance to compete at the top of the table. 

6 hours ago, xceleryx said:

Yes we should have, he's a bang average player that's hugely reliant on having a midfield built around him to accomodate his feeble physique, lack of leg speed, and sieve like defence. While many Brighton fan's are pleased with him, many also acknowledged it was imperative he has a quicker, more physical and defensively effective partner to offset it all. 

If he couldn't pass, which is by far his best quality, he'd be a rather irrelevant at the top level. 

So a much, much cheaper version of Jorginho then?