Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

6 hours ago, kev61 said:

I don't get why a team would sell a player to a rival and i don't understand why a rival would want to buy a player from a rival?

I think it may happen more often, well it already is actually. We are seeing Big 6 teams quoted ridiculous fees by other Premiership sides in any player they are interested in - reports of Man City being quoted £80m for Paqueta  and £70m for Eberechi Eze. Us paying £55m for Lavia and all the signings from Brighton are a good example. These players are super important to smaller clubs, whereas Big 6 teams are usually less desperate to hold on to players of a similar quality, and more keen to recoup fees and get wages off the books. For example us selling Havertz and Kovacic. Also there are only a handful of teams outside the Prem that can even afford the big fees, so The Prem Big 6 represents about half the market.  It is becoming a lot easier for the top rival clubs to deal with each other than others, it used to be the opposite.

Or maybe I'm just becoming desensitized by the fact Chelsea have no qualms offloading players to direct rivals

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Lump Of Celery said:

I think it may happen more often, well it already is actually. We are seeing Big 6 teams quoted ridiculous fees by other Premiership sides in any player they are interested in - reports of Man City being quoted £80m for Paqueta  and £70m for Eberechi Eze. Us paying £55m for Lavia and all the signings from Brighton are a good example. These players are super important to smaller clubs, whereas Big 6 teams are usually less desperate to hold on to players of a similar quality, and more keen to recoup fees and get wages off the books. For example us selling Havertz and Kovacic. Also there are only a handful of teams outside the Prem that can even afford the big fees, so The Prem Big 6 represents about half the market.  It is becoming a lot easier for the top rival clubs to deal with each other than others, it used to be the opposite.

Or maybe I'm just becoming desensitized by the fact Chelsea have no qualms offloading players to direct rivals

I think you're right here. I also think we've sold to whoever will give us the best deals this summer.  Given the volume of players and the wages they were on, it was a lot simpler to just let them go to clubs that would a) pay up for them and b) give them pay rises. 

We might not be as willing to do it going forward, but it strikes me necessity was at the forefront this summer. If we could have punted the likes of Havertz to Inter or Bayern we would have, but the biggest offer came from across town so the decision was an easy one.

Poch said in his press conference just now - 

We were talking about one offensive player, the right profile. If we can add the right profile yes but not to bring players so we can add one more and to stop the evolution of some young guys.

We have offensive players but they need to recover.

If we now bring a player that needs to adapt, you are going to spend the same time as Broja and you are going to create a mess in the squad.

We need a little bit of help now. We are trying to find the right profile so after won't be a problem and can be compatible. It is not easy, we are trying to do something.

I'm not sure what that means, possibly a loan for an older player or even a free agent. Perhaps some truth in those Hazard rumours?

1 hour ago, Miguelito07 said:

There are Hazard rumours?! wowsers. With his injury record - he will fit right in... 😞

Don’t worry he’s never coming back, he alone basically destroyed Poch’s dream a  few seasons ago. And what a night it was. 

Edited by ROTG
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Romano reckons Washington going straight out on loan isn't a dead cert. He's played something like 9 senior games.

It would be nice if we have unearthed an oven ready superstar!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, thevelourfog said:

Romano reckons Washington going straight out on loan isn't a dead cert. He's played something like 9 senior games.

I would be shocked if he appeared for the first time anytime soon, he is tiny, he would get bullied by PL defenders. I think he'll go out on loan in Europe somewhere, most likely Strasbourg.

30 minutes ago, ROTG said:

Project 2030

I assume you mean 'Vision 2030' which I believe was thought up by Neil Bath some time before the change in ownership. The aims were to have 15% of first team minutes played by academy players, 25% of the first team squad to be academy players, above average gcse and A level results, and to have more players playing pro football than any other academy.

All to do with the academy and nothing to do with signing 18 year olds from Brazil and sending them on loan. That seems to have come with the new owners, I assume to make money.

The slew of 14-16 year old we have recently signed from other English clubs for peanuts (which none of us really care about) probably fit the bill for Vision 2030. I imagine it is now as hard as ever for any of them to break into the first team given the signings we've made, or at least not straight from the academy.

12 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

I would be shocked if he appeared for the first time anytime soon, he is tiny, he would get bullied by PL defenders. I think he'll go out on loan in Europe somewhere, most likely Strasbourg.

I watched a highlight reel earlier. He clearly has good technique but was very scrappy and lacking in physical strength, and tried to do everything on his own (maybe just the bits that made it to the highlights tbf) Not sure is even ready to play at Strasbourg level yet 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

We also signed an under 18 kid from Newcastle recently which again reinforces the assumption that we value the kids of the World's academies higher than our own. 

Maybe they should be taking a punt on our kids.?

Maybe.

And maybe hiring a proper medical team.

21 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

We also signed an under 18 kid from Newcastle recently which again reinforces the assumption that we value the kids of the World's academies higher than our own. 

Maybe they should be taking a punt on our kids.?

All of the best players our academy has produced were at the club from Under 10 - Reece, Trevoh, Connor, Broja, Colwill all good enough to be in this seasons squad. Then Tammy, Mount, Musiala, Declan Rice, Nketiah, Tomori, RLC all playing at top level teams

Of the ones brought in from elsewhere at an older age group I can only think of Ake and Christensen that got to play at that level, maybe Maatsen to be added to that. Then a couple like Van Aanholt and Bertrand that played at a level below the top teams

The success of our academy seems to actually be the coaching at very young levels, rather than bringing players in from outside

Edited by Lump Of Celery
  • Agree 2