Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

7 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

I agree Chalobah isn’t a world class defender. Do I think he is any worse than Disasi or Fofana that we bought for rather big money? No, absolutely not. 

He is still young and likely to improve. He’s a local boy that understands the club and what the fans wants. He is reliable and doesn’t kick up a fuss if he doesn’t play every game. Exactly the kind of player we need in the squad. I’d have played him more and saved our money for one exceptional CB instead of a bunch of CBs who aren’t any better than the ones we’ve got already. 

100%

11 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

I agree Chalobah isn’t a world class defender. Do I think he is any worse than Disasi or Fofana that we bought for rather big money? No, absolutely not. 

He is still young and likely to improve. He’s a local boy that understands the club and what the fans wants. He is reliable and doesn’t kick up a fuss if he doesn’t play every game. Exactly the kind of player we need in the squad. I’d have played him more and saved our money for one exceptional CB instead of a bunch of CBs who aren’t any better than the ones we’ve got already. 

There's more to it than just overall talent/potential/ability of a player in fairness, it's also about the more specific qualities a player provides that another may not, which goes on to fit what a manager wants out of his squad better with respects to their vision. 

Looking at Chalobah in this instance, a player I also like mind you, he doesn't particularly excel in any given area. He's not an aerial presence at all, in possession he's a fairly sterile option when it comes to how he uses the ball, and as a more defensively focused game overall. He's a reasonable player overall that's largely going to occupy a squad filler type role.

A player like Diasi, who's sample size here remains too small to really draw any conclusions from, but looking at what he was like at Monaco indicates he's a player that looks to play more on the front foot, as such gets himself between man and ball for inceptions regularly, has size and power in the air, and is far more progressive with his ball usage - exactly what a manager is going to want from his defenders when building from the back. 

Fofana is a similar type of front footed defender, which is likely a big part in why we signed Diasi after he got injured. They're much closer in terms of overall profile than Chalobah is. 

Managers are going to take things like this into consideration. They'll want changes between personnel in certain areas of the pitch to be as seamless as possible to create fewer disruptions and retain continuity. 

A very positive weekend, all told. 

Arsenal and Newcastle dropped points, Brighton lost, Chelsea got a very positive win on the board and we seem to be inching toward longing off The Cheesecake Factory to Roma which is the best transfer we'll make all summer.  Imagine we're able to get rid of Cucurella as well? 

Glorious stuff. 

I don't think we'll sign anyone else. Quite happy with the squad and I have seen enough of Jackson to know he'll get a lot of goals for us this season, especially once Nkunku comes back. We are tight on the numbers of players we can loan out now so maybe Broja gets to stay and see what he can do. Washington going on loan much more important than him going on loan. 

Also pleasing to see Caicedo looking a lot better on Friday than his West Ham horror show. Disasi I still worry about and I stand by my previous view that Mudryk needs a loan but generally we are in okay shape. 

Gallagher has been our best player so far this season and Sterling's renaissance looks genuine and meaningful. This allays a lot of fears for me. Two players a lot of punters wanted sold at any cost in the summer, and they are carrying us so far. 

Pleased for Gusto too, seems to be settling in nicely and we are starting to see what he's about. 

Who do you play for the Wimbledon tie? 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Miguelito07 said:

I am still unsure why we bought Lavia AND Les. Unless Gallagher will be sold this week which looks unlikely as he's played the 3 matches

Well. I’m 💯 guessing if Poch wants a 4–2-3-1 then for the 2 maybe it could be Moises, Lavia and Big Les? Conor could be part of the 3 in front, and could cover in the 2? 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

So the Daily Fail claims we are after Jeremie Frimpong, and right wingback from Leverkusen. Not sure how true that is, but hopefully not true at all. Getting another attacking RB through the door doesn’t really feel like a priority… 

He's got the right haircut.

Perhaps that's the number one identifier these days ?

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

So the Daily Fail claims we are after Jeremie Frimpong, and right wingback from Leverkusen. Not sure how true that is, but hopefully not true at all. Getting another attacking RB through the door doesn’t really feel like a priority… 

Wasn't he the lad who went to Arsenal and was a cult hero for being utterly comedically dreadful? Kept calling everything "Dench"?

22 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

I think it means one of the three, not all 3.

Would take Torres, no doubt 

Oh yeah, I know it's only one of the three but if that's what's available then we're better off doing nothing.

Torres being useless for two clubs in recent years isn't a good look. 

Edited by Bison
  • Agree 1