Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

Often, stakeholders, especially agents, leak information in order to benefit themselves. The player might want to suggest increased personal value, one or other club's representatives the quality of their negotiation skills or the agent might want to show potential customers their value as a player's representative.   

FWIW, I read that Roma would be paying his new reduced wages for this season, but we would be paying the amortisation cost (obviously). There is something about local taxation that affects the amount of wages paid, but I am not sure what that is. It's really not our problem. Some of the amortisation costs would be covered by the loan fee. They also said that some of the reduction in wages agreed would apply for the remainder of the contract, though that does not mean all of it. There is also a release clause, which is interesting because I can see different scenarios where it might be triggered either by an Italian club or by one in the Middle East if they can persuade him to go there. The value of the release clause would cover a large part of the remaining book value. I think this is about as good as it gets for all parties. Roma gets the player who should score goals, we have a way of getting to the end of an awful contract, including a reduction in wage bill, the agent gets a fee and the player gets to play in Italy among the cakes and ice creams.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’ve noticed in this transfer window that there are a lot more deals being done which involve a loan with an option to buy at the end.

Is this going to become a more normal way of doing business between clubs? 

Is this to do with FFP?

Any of you cleverer members know the reasoning behind this?

14 minutes ago, chrisb said:

I’ve noticed in this transfer window that there are a lot more deals being done which involve a loan with an option to buy at the end.

Is this to do with FFP?

I’m not exactly the brightest bulb in the shop but I’m going to guess that if a club knows a player wants to leave or a club wants/needs to sell they can take that player off their hands which benefits the selling club (who pay only a % or none of the wages), the player (who wants to leave etc) and the buying club (less initial outlay and if they have the option there’ll be one year less of contract so the player will be cheaper). Plus the global economy isn’t great and a loan is a more cautious option. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

I’m not exactly the brightest bulb in the shop but I’m going to guess that if a club knows a player wants to leave or a club wants/needs to sell they can take that player off their hands which benefits the selling club (who pay only a % or none of the wages), the player (who wants to leave etc) and the buying club (less initial outlay and if they have the option there’ll be one year less of contract so the player will be cheaper). Plus the global economy isn’t great and a loan is a more cautious option. 

Whatever the complexities of a loan move and for how long, he is heading to Saudi, it is inevitable unless the Saudis lose interest.

1 hour ago, Sleeping Dave said:

100/5=20. Not 25. Lukaku having two years left of his contract next season means £40m BV. 

Not sure why Simon Jordan would be privy to a player contract between Chelsea, Lukaku and Inter. 

That would be a typo, was meant to be 20*. 

But yes, after this season he'd have two years remaining and a book value of £40m. 

Not saying he does either, but wages are still obvious cost to the club either way. 

• Like 1

The release clause reported by the Telegraph is thought to be about £37m, which is very close to the remaining book value of £40m. This is why one benefit is that Chelsea would be able to recoup most of the remaining asset value. 

Edited by Sciatika
  • Agree 1

37 minutes ago, Sciatika said:

Often, stakeholders, especially agents, leak information in order to benefit themselves. The player might want to suggest increased personal value, one or other club's representatives the quality of their negotiation skills or the agent might want to show potential customers their value as a player's representative.   

FWIW, I read that Roma would be paying his new reduced wages for this season, but we would be paying the amortisation cost (obviously). There is something about local taxation that affects the amount of wages paid, but I am not sure what that is. It's really not our problem. Some of the amortisation costs would be covered by the loan fee. They also said that some of the reduction in wages agreed would apply for the remainder of the contract, though that does not mean all of it. There is also a release clause, which is interesting because I can see different scenarios where it might be triggered either by an Italian club or by one in the Middle East if they can persuade him to go there. The value of the release clause would cover a large part of the remaining book value. I think this is about as good as it gets for all parties. Roma gets the player who should score goals, we have a way of getting to the end of an awful contract, including a reduction in wage bill, the agent gets a fee and the player gets to play in Italy among the cakes and ice creams.

Mentioned this earlier in the week I think but Lukaku will still quality for one more year for an Italian tax break, which was virtually introduced a few years ago that was meant to help retain high profile workers in particular industries. Basically, only around half of his wages earned would be impacted by tax. Because he owns property in Italy he's retained his eligibility, or something along those lines. You only get this for three years though, so this would be the last year he'd quality. 

But yeah, probably the best outcome we could get. Did say he'd do everything to stay in Italy and Roma were one of the sides that may be interested if they could get the cost down, looks like it's happened. Unfortunately, we'll need to revisit this situation yet again next summer. 

51 minutes ago, chrisb said:

Is this to do with FFP?

I believe this is the case, especially with regards to the Lewis Hall transfer to Newcastle, they'd already spent their estimated amount to stay within their FFP amortisation as they're in European competition so it matters and we hope to be next year so the Lewis Hall transfer will count against next year's amount not this seasons. (that's what I read but may be rubbish) 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Interesting murmurs from the usual suspects on X, the reputable accounts who consistently get things right are all alluding to one big transfer for us to finish our business. Some are mentioning the British transfer record.

Notwithstanding concerns or outright doubts on where we would be able to fit in another such fee in the FFP framework, who is there out there that would cost 115m+ that we would or could want? 

Fati from Barca? - left winger who can play up front, two footed and actually decent in the air. Quite strong for his size. But very injury prone and has a history of knee problems and a dodgy hamstring. Given Barca's travails recently they wouldn't be letting him go if he was not too injury prone to rely on. Would they? 

Leao from Milan? - another genuinely world class left winger who has impressed me every time I've seen him. Big, powerful, direct and blisteringly quick, deadly finisher and can play effectively as the second striker as well which makes him ideal to bring in in Nkunku's absence.  Would score a lot of goals for us. Milan would never sell him though, sadly. But for 115m+? 

Jamal Musiala from Bayern? - a classic number ten who can also play on the left wing as he is right footed. Six foot tall, creative, scores goals and his family still live in London.  Would certainly cost 100m+ but would clearly be a super acquisition for us and maybe rectify a mistake the club made back in the day. 

Pedro Goncalves from Sporting? - your classic slighty flighty number ten playmaker, scores goals and can also play on the right.  Would absolutely cost the earth but would add genuine creative brilliance to our squad. Does he get in the side ahead of Nkunku when the latter is fit though? Or on recent form, Sterling on the right?  Cant see it, sorry. Good player but not what we need. 

Kinglsey Coman from Bayern? - the lightning quick Frenchman is silky and creative, prefers the left but can play as second striker and on the right as well. 5"11 and wouldnt be over-awed by the physical nature of the Prem. Would be ideal for us. 

Federico Chiesa from Juve? - can play on the left but prefers to play on the right (but we might consider shifting Sterling to the left to accommodate him). Wily, quick and creative, Chiesa works so hard, runs all day, he does score important goals and looks a handful every time I see him. Lots of quality on the ball too. Troubled with injuries and maybe a little lightweight for the Prem but one I've always thought would be class for us. 

Victor Osimhen from Napoli? - elite level striker in a time when there are so few elite level strikers. Right footed, lightning quick, decent in the air and a lethal finisher he would be amazzing for us. Can even hold the ball up - there isnt much he cannot do. For sure would turn into the hapless, luckless, injury prone donkey lovechild of Mateja Kezman and Robert Fleck, like a rabbit in the headlights, steadfastly and resolutely unable to hit a horse's arse with a banjo from one yard the moment he puts on the Chelsea jersey, but that's just our luck. Would he come to Chelsea? His hero is Didier Drogba and he is known to want to emulate him. Would 115m+ do the job? Maybe but Napoli are impossible to negotiate with and there is no chance of bringing him in before the deadline, it would seem. Him and Jackson would be some proposition though, wouldnt they? 

Florian Wirtz from Leverkusen? - superb young prospect but quite small and slight. Plays on the left as he is right footed but can tuck inside. Honestly ive not seen that much of him but we aren't going to be breaking the UK transfer record for a 20 year old kid from the Bundesliga are we? 

Who else is there?  Foden? Sane? 

I mean, how do you convince players of this calibre to come without European football? 

I'm so glad we aren't in for Neymar! 

Edited by Morgs

4 minutes ago, Lump Of Celery said:

Didn't Poch say last week we won't sign anyone that would block the young players we have. I'm not expecting any blockbuster signings

Honestly I don't want anyone else. I think we've done enough. This window cannot ever be topped. 

• Agree 2

21 minutes ago, Morgs said:

Honestly I don't want anyone else. I think we've done enough. This window cannot ever be topped. 

A striker/forward type would be nice.

I don't particularly rate Broja, we'll be without Jackson during the ACON, and it gives us flexibility with allowing Nkunku to either play the #10 or upfront. 

We're walking a fine line in the forward department at present.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

A striker/forward type would be nice.

I don't particularly rate Broja, we'll be without Jackson during the ACON, and it gives us flexibility with allowing Nkunku to either play the #10 or upfront. 

We're walking a fine line in the forward department at present.

Agree but not Toney. I'd be okay if we didnt sign a striker but if we do I want it to be a very good one not another risky kid or overrated English nobody who costs four times his actual value. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

5 minutes ago, Morgs said:

Agree but not Toney. I'd be okay if we didnt sign a striker but if we do I want it to be a very good one not another risky kid or overrated English nobody who costs four times his actual value. 

Agreed. I listened to him on that Diary of a CEO podcast and he did not come across well.  I think his obvious baggage would do us no favours. 

10 minutes ago, Bert19 said:

Agreed. I listened to him on that Diary of a CEO podcast and he did not come across well.  I think his obvious baggage would do us no favours. 

Thing is he gets away with a lot at Brentford as nobody cares about them and the neutrals are supposed to like them. 

He comes to us and he'll be "BETTING CHEAT" and "A STAIN ON THE INTEGRITY OF PROFESSIONAL FOOTBALL" 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Morgs said:

I don't think it has to be a "very good one" per se. Obviously they have to be of a certain minimum standard, but I think profile is important if we're wanting balanced options that can still contribute even if not scoring - see Jackson. 

Wouldn't want Toney myself either mind you.

59 minutes ago, Morgs said:

Personally I always thought Mbuemo was the talented one at Brentford 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, Blue_in_TX said:

Love for Mount died with his unrealistic wage requests.  

I don't think Mount suits Utd's game, think he should have gone to the that other team in Red, think he might have done well there.