Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

Just now, Original 21 said:

Well this is moving along. How do they know all this? 

IMG_7794.jpeg

Quite an easy deal to make by the sounds of it and with all the leaked info, on something that has come out the blue it looks to me like this is going to happen and happen quickly.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Original 21 said:

Well this is moving along. How do they know all this? 

IMG_7794.jpeg

City have got some pretty serious money from youth products with far lesser profiles so far this summer, they definitely will not accept a low ball. But they clearly have no issue moving those players on.

Kinda sums up the ridiculousness of FFP if it happens, City selling us their kids for pure profit to service their costs while we look to sell one or two of ours to have money to spend on buying other players ... Apparently including City's kids (they apparently got a fair chunk of the Lavia fee)! I think UEFA should really look at how FFP incentivises this and if it is what it really thinks best serves football's interests.

Edited by thevelourfog
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Sciatika said:

Looking at the rumours today, maybe, some people should not be allowed out with a chequebook.

Agree 😁.....something Mrs C is often heard to say..strange because she doesn't follow the transfer issues.

• Haha 3

58 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

Quite an easy deal to make by the sounds of it and with all the leaked info, on something that has come out the blue it looks to me like this is going to happen and happen quickly.

Just another player from one of TBSD ex- employers. 
lazy recruitment IMO, and more fool Eggy’s & Toddles for sanctioning this kind of recruitment.
Chitty are getting a midfielder who is an upgrade on palmer for £5m more than TBSD will pay, it’s like Chitty’s lottery ticket came in. 

4 minutes ago, ROTG said:

Just another player from one of TBSD ex- employers. 
lazy recruitment IMO, and more fool Eggy’s & Toddles for sanctioning this kind of recruitment.
Chitty are getting a midfielder who is an upgrade on palmer for £5m more than TBSD will pay, it’s like Chitty’s lottery ticket came in. 

Not sure why it's lazy?

Just because one of our current employees has worked with a player before, doesn't make it lazy, could be argued it makes it very sensible.

Nunez is a completely different type of player, one City need. Palmer is the type of player we need and in today's market the rumoured fee is the going rate. 

Makes a lot of sense for everyone.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, JaneB said:

Joe Shields?  'Co-Director of Recruitment and Talent'?

What are all these titles?  And who is the other 'Director of Recruitment and Talent'? 

I thought Winstanley and the other guy did all that?

I just can't keep up with all these jobs.  Money for old rope.

Winstanley is the Co Co director and Stewart is the Co Co Co director. 

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

City have got some pretty serious money from youth products with far lesser profiles so far this summer, they definitely will not accept a low ball. But they clearly have no issue moving those players on.

Kinda sums up the ridiculousness of FFP if it happens, City selling us their kids for pure profit to service their costs while we look to sell one or two of ours to have money to spend on buying other players ... Apparently including City's kids (they apparently got a fair chunk of the Lavia fee)! I think UEFA should really look at how FFP incentivises this and if it is what it really thinks best serves football's interests.

Maybe it would be a better system if the players were valued when in your squad by an independent arbiter (or the Sheikh in City's case) and that value is offset against your FFP, the more you play that player the more he's worth to you both physically and monetarily. 

Really not sure about signing Cole Palmer, I haven’t seen too much of him and what I have seen, whilst being impressed, I wouldn’t put him above some of the performances we get from our youngsters, Hall being a good example.

I hope to be proven wrong, but I don’t see him really improving us other than giving us another body in the positions we need more bodies in.

1 hour ago, thevelourfog said:

Kinda sums up the ridiculousness of FFP if it happens, City selling us their kids for pure profit to service their costs while we look to sell one or two of ours to have money to spend on buying other players .

Simon Jordan covered this the other day when West Ham sold Rice.

He was worth nothing on their balance sheet as a youth player, but generates 100m when they sell. The players have no asset value at all where FFP is concerned. 

This is a serious flaw in FFP and encourages clubs to sell them, in order for them to have any financial worth. 

12 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Winstanley is the Co Co director and Stewart is the Co Co Co director. 

Spent another day listening to talksh1t whilst put up pigeon “aka flying vermin”defences, and they said TBSD will be restructured after the close of the current transfer window. 

can’t wait for the next epiphany. 😀

Edited by ROTG

19 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

Not sure why it's lazy?

Just because one of our current employees has worked with a player before, doesn't make it lazy, could be argued it makes it very sensible.

Nunez is a completely different type of player, one City need. Palmer is the type of player we need and in today's market the rumoured fee is the going rate. 

Makes a lot of sense for everyone.

The club could have got Maddison for less. 

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Simon Jordan covered this the other day when West Ham sold Rice.

He was worth nothing on their balance sheet as a youth player, but generates 100m when they sell. The players have no asset value at all where FFP is concerned. 

This is a serious flaw in FFP and encourages clubs to sell them, in order for them to have any financial worth. 

Yep. I'm not an accountant or even particularly good with my own money, but I don't think monitoring annual books is a particularly good way to keep clubs sustainable. I'm much more concerned with where the immediate money for transfer fees is coming from, how any debt on this is serviced, cash reserves and liquidity. I think these things tell you much more about how financially healthy a club is than how your arrange the figures on Excel (being glib here, of course). You can have a very healthy FFP position in any given year and still be up to the eyeballs in debt and liabilities, and I fear we're going that way. Mostly because of the owners, but it is an approach facilitated by FFP's flaws.

28 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Really not sure about signing Cole Palmer, I haven’t seen too much of him and what I have seen, whilst being impressed, I wouldn’t put him above some of the performances we get from our youngsters, Hall being a good example.

I hope to be proven wrong, but I don’t see him really improving us other than giving us another body in the positions we need more bodies in.

You can't earn transfer kudos keeping your own players, you have to buy other clubs kids and pretend they're better than ours to earn gold stars. 

11 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Yep. I'm not an accountant or even particularly good with my own money, but I don't think monitoring annual books is a particularly good way to keep clubs sustainable. I'm much more concerned with where the immediate money for transfer fees is coming from, how any debt on this is serviced, cash reserves and liquidity. I think these things tell you much more about how financially healthy a club is than how your arrange the figures on Excel (being glib here, of course). You can have a very healthy FFP position in any given year and still be up to the eyeballs in debt and liabilities, and I fear we're going that way. Mostly because of the owners, but it is an approach facilitated by FFP's flaws.

but obviously the cash is there to support the outgoings, it is just how you dress it up. the fact we can spend close to a 1bn and appear to be on course to meet FFP is actually a joke.

4 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

You can't earn transfer kudos keeping your own players, you have to buy other clubs kids and pretend they're better than ours to earn gold stars. 

to take it very literally, imagine if Mount had gone to City and we'd bought Palmer, and let's say for argument, for the same fee, then both clubs are better off in terms of FFP than just keeping them.

37 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Really not sure about signing Cole Palmer, I haven’t seen too much of him

No one has, he's barely played any senior football. Which is why I can't get excited about this at all, and the opposite of what we need right now.

I know there's been some amazing work done this window, other things are bewildering. I personally would have preferred a more measured and patient approach to some of this rebuilding, I know others feel different. It is exciting of course, but in a double or nothing kind of way.  

• Agree 3

6 minutes ago, Lump Of Celery said:

No one has, he's barely played any senior football. Which is why I can't get excited about this at all, and the opposite of what we need right now.

I know there's been some amazing work done this window, other things are bewildering. I personally would have preferred a more measured and patient approach to some of this rebuilding, I know others feel different. It is exciting of course, but in a double or nothing kind of way.  

Yeah, I kind of agree to be honest. We've played a very risky game in doing so much in such a short amount of time, leaving very little room for error now.

Romelu Lukaku is given a hero's welcome by fans in Rome as the Belgian lands in the Italian capital ahead of £5m loan from Chelsea... with Jose Mourinho set to reunite with the former Man United striker.

Let's see how welcoming they are when he releases an interview expressing his love for Lazio!

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

It’s bang on ridiculous!

I’m pretty sure this is not what UEFA or the FA/PL had in mind when the idea was initially implemented. Usually I’m all for finding loopholes in the bureaucracy but in this case I think it’s against the spirit of the game. By all means pay top dollar for stars but when you sell out your academy for average players or other teams academy it’s just wrong imo.