Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

39 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

It’s bang on ridiculous!

I’m pretty sure this is not what UEFA or the FA/PL had in mind when the idea was initially implemented. Usually I’m all for finding loopholes in the bureaucracy but in this case I think it’s against the spirit of the game. By all means pay top dollar for stars but when you sell out your academy for average players or other teams academy it’s just wrong imo.  

I'm not sure Cole Palmer can be described as average and as has been pointed out here before,  our academy players have been allowed to leave for a number of reasons.

In some cases we've been well stocked in some positions and in others, players have pushed for a move.

In the case of Palmer, yes he's from another academy but he satisfies a specific need. 

He's been highly regarded for a couple of years on a few youth/academy football twitter accounts I follow. 

In the last 12 months he's been thrown in at ever-increasing levels (LC/FAC/PL and CL) and excelled each time. 

CHO had his opportunity to be that player and for whatever reason he's regressed.   

• Agree 2

I'm really excited about Palmer.

While I agree with some of the sentiment about youth above, we sold a 24 year old Mount for more money albeit with more experience but also more of a sense of his limitations. 

Sky could be the limit for Palmer and I trust Joe Shields judgement on him.

Would rather Palmer than a foreign winger with doubts about their attitude (Cherki).

Even prefer him to Olise honestly who may have more PL experience but hasn't done all that much IMO.

Also one more homegrown player to add to our roster.

• Like 2

I won't pretend I've seen that much of him, watched the Euros and thought he looked very good and played in multiple positions.

I do however have quite a bit of family up Norf, on my wife's side, all City season ticket holders and they are absolutely devastated by this and can't understand it. At all. I'd go as far as saying some are really, really pissed off.

They say he's unquestionably the best player to come through since Foden and had really high hopes for him.

• Love 1

Didn’t see this coming, didn’t believe it when I heard it, didn’t think they’d sell him to us when I started to believe it and cannot believe we’ve got it done so quickly… it is safe to say, this one has caught me out 

Im not convinced by the signings to be honest and the price is madness considering what little experience he has.

54 minutes ago, Ham said:

I'm not sure Cole Palmer can be described as average and as has been pointed out here before,  our academy players have been allowed to leave for a number of reasons.

In some cases we've been well stocked in some positions and in others, players have pushed for a move.

In the case of Palmer, yes he's from another academy but he satisfies a specific need. 

He's been highly regarded for a couple of years on a few youth/academy football twitter accounts I follow. 

In the last 12 months he's been thrown in at ever-increasing levels (LC/FAC/PL and CL) and excelled each time. 

CHO had his opportunity to be that player and for whatever reason he's regressed.   

Can he even be described as average, he's not played any football. If someone posted on here 2 days ago that we should sign him and for £40m,  they would have been laughed off the site.

This is just getting excited about a new shiny toy

If 40m for a player with 0 experience is the new standard then we've had our pants pulled down all summer  selling players like havertz and Mount for not that much more

The only reason the owners are interested is because they can pay these players penny's in wages and get more money in the bank selling our academy players

• Agree 2

9 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Didn’t see this coming, didn’t believe it when I heard it, didn’t think they’d sell him to us when I started to believe it and cannot believe we’ve got it done so quickly… it is safe to say, this one has caught me out 

Hmm Sam...keep hearing an echo..."If it's too good to be true then......."🙂

Appears to have been done very quickly but maybe not?...just under the radar with the media looking at the other stuff...or even prepping investigations into Mr Dean?

We don't know as much about him as say Hall but vibes from up Norf seem to be good.

I'm always just a bit leery about clubs seemingly letting "good" players leave,,,Torres always makes me think that.way....

Edited by chara

1 hour ago, Ham said:

Palmer is toilet compared to Maddison who cost the same money.

• Agree 1

22 minutes ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

Does this mean Conor leaves? 😞

I don't think it's a like for like. Wouldn't be surprised if he stayed now as Poch seems to really like him.
Overall, really happy with our business and some of the reactions above are a bit kneejerk.
I think the one risk is if we do really badly and then we could be in a bit of a financial pickle.

My current understanding is we need the money from European football to afford our current signings?
If that is the case I am happy with us getting Palmer and moving us a step closer to that dream.

Then hopefully we don't have to have a fire sale of all the talented players we have managed to get.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

I won't pretend I've seen that much of him, watched the Euros and thought he looked very good and played in multiple positions.

I do however have quite a bit of family up Norf, on my wife's side, all City season ticket holders and they are absolutely devastated by this and can't understand it. At all. I'd go as far as saying some are really, really pissed off.

They say he's unquestionably the best player to come through since Foden and had really high hopes for him.

Plenty of Chelsea supporters cried the sky was falling in when Hall left. I think this is just what supporters do, buy into the potential and romance of their youth products and massively overrate them. 

£40m for someone with 3 PL starts (and not breaking double figures if I more generously include all senior starts) is insane, let's be honest.

I think Pep has decided he doesn't need him because his main strength as a young player was goal scoring, he was always a real threat, then he stepped up to the first team and apart from 2 cup games at the start of this season he hasn't been bringing his goal scoring form to the team when played in the PL. We needed to sign someone as the injury to Nkunku has left us short however Angelo must be pissed; he was showing great form against PL clubs in pre-season and it would have made sense to have given him an opportunity to grow. Palmer is 21 and he hasn't shown anything so far in his career which makes sense to spend £40m on him, maybe the club is thinking they can unlock his potential where Pep has failed to? To be fair though, taking a £40m punt on a young English player  is low risk compared to what we did with Mudryk.

The strange thing about the move is it throws up more questions about what Poch intends to do, surely Palmer isn't the key to playing Chilly at LB now? He could have done that already because he has Madueke and Mudryk as options, does Palmer now move ahead of them in the pecking order? All this while we're still a striker short, not to mention Poch didn't know he had a player called Sarr, maybe he doesn't know about Madueke, or forgot he had Angelo he could call back?

1 minute ago, thevelourfog said:

Plenty of Chelsea supporters cried the sky was falling in when Hall left. I think this is just what supporters do, buy into the potential and romance of their youth products and massively overrate them. 

£40m for someone with 3 PL starts (and not breaking double figures if I more generously include all senior starts) is insane, let's be honest.

Is it? 40 million doesn't sound that much to me in this market. 
For an incredibly talented young player. 

1 minute ago, Gurj SS said:

I think Pep has decided he doesn't need him because his main strength as a young player was goal scoring, he was always a real threat, then he stepped up to the first team and apart from 2 cup games at the start of this season he hasn't been bringing his goal scoring form to the team when played in the PL. We needed to sign someone as the injury to Nkunku has left us short however Angelo must be pissed; he was showing great form against PL clubs in pre-season and it would have made sense to have given him an opportunity to grow. Palmer is 21 and he hasn't shown anything so far in his career which makes sense to spend £40m on him, maybe the club is thinking they can unlock his potential where Pep has failed to? To be fair though, taking a £40m punt on a young English player  is low risk compared to what we did with Mudryk.

The strange thing about the move is it throws up more questions about what Poch intends to do, surely Palmer isn't the key to playing Chilly at LB now? He could have done that already because he has Madueke and Mudryk as options, does Palmer now move ahead of them in the pecking order? All this while we're still a striker short, not to mention Poch didn't know he had a player called Sarr, maybe he doesn't know about Madueke, or forgot he had Angelo he could call back?

Pep takes a long time to mould young players. I just think the deal made sense for all parties. If players want to leave, Pep is happy to let nearly anyone go for the right price. I just assumed Palmer would replace injured Chuk and Nkunku.

Not sure if we're a striker short - rumours are we are going for Toney in Jan.
Poch is happy with Broja and Jackson and there are not many great options on the market right now.

6 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

Is it? 40 million doesn't sound that much to me in this market. 
For an incredibly talented young player. 

How do you know he is incredibly talented, have you ever watched him play even 5 minutes on TV? Because I'm pretty sure none of us have, not much else to base that assumption on 

Edit- didn't realise he was 21 too, quite old to have not played any senior football. Another red flag for me

Edited by Lump Of Celery
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Gurj SS said:

We needed to sign someone as the injury to Nkunku has left us short however Angelo must be pissed; he was showing great form against PL clubs in pre-season and it would have made sense to have given him an opportunity to grow.

Angelo was signed to be flipped, and I'm sure he knows that. Never to actually be a Chelsea player.

9 minutes ago, Lump Of Celery said:

have you ever watched him play even 5 minutes on TV? Because I'm pretty sure none of us have, not much else to base that assumption on 

Edit- didn't realise he was 21 too, quite old to have not played any senior football. Another red flag for me

Maybe it’s because I’m half asleep, but I could swear he’s made over 40 appearances for City and scored a few goals, also played in the Euro U21’s recently which was on TV.