Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

As always with some deals, there is a middle ground away from the he is a fantastic buy or terrible buy.

My take is he is very talented. He played against us last season and had Azpilicueta on toast. Now Azpi probably not the player he was up against a young kid, but he was still impressive.

Do I think we need him ? No.

Do I think he has the talent to be a very good player here? Yes.

I don’t know if he has played any football as a No10 . I have only seen him playing wide in the city first team. 

All in all, I think it is a strange signing cos I don’t really see him being any different to what we have. I suspect we felt it was potentially a good deal for the money, if he progresses on to be the player many expect him to be.  I don’t read too much into Pep letting him go either. I think . I think this is how Pep operates, he lets players move on if they want to , or if they are only gonna be squad player at best right now. 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Angelo was signed to be flipped, and I'm sure he knows that. Never to actually be a Chelsea player.

Shame really if that's the case, behind Jackson and Nkunku he was the sharpest player we had during pre-season.  An 18 year old highly rated player over a 21 year old who isn't highly rated and Pep is happy to sell, it just doesn't make sense; we're trying to close the gap on Man City not Leicester City, so sending out Angelo on loan to prove himself is fine but then don't bring someone in who needs a loan themselves to boaster the squad.

22 minutes ago, Lump Of Celery said:

How do you know he is incredibly talented, have you ever watched him play even 5 minutes on TV? Because I'm pretty sure none of us have, not much else to base that assumption on 

Edit- didn't realise he was 21 too, quite old to have not played any senior football. Another red flag for me

I've seen him play a number of times for City (yes not all starts) and the u21's. He always looks a class above and I'm shocked that City are letting him go. I thought he was the nailed on player to make the break through similar to Foden. 

I thought we had more chance making a play for Foden.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

33 minutes ago, Gurj SS said:

Shame really if that's the case, behind Jackson and Nkunku he was the sharpest player we had during pre-season.  An 18 year old highly rated player over a 21 year old who isn't highly rated and Pep is happy to sell, it just doesn't make sense; we're trying to close the gap on Man City not Leicester City, so sending out Angelo on loan to prove himself is fine but then don't bring someone in who needs a loan themselves to boaster the squad.

Palmer isn't highly rated?!?!?! *facepalm*

I made a trip to Cloud Cuckoo Land at the weekend, just to see if any CFCnet regulars really lived there.

Turns out Mark has a three bedroom semi there and ROTG is the Lord Mayor!!

I thought I saw you walking down the street Gurj but I wasn't convinced. I always thought you were quite sensible.

Now you've confirmed my worst fears!

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

Palmer isn't highly rated?!?!?! *facepalm*

I made a trip to Cloud Cuckoo Land at the weekend, just to see if any CFCnet regulars really lived there.

Turns out Mark has a three bedroom semi there and ROTG is the Lord Mayor!!

I thought I saw you walking down the street Gurj but I wasn't convinced. I always thought you were quite sensible.

Now you've confirmed my worst fears!

Haha!! Can't be sensible all the time!

My worry is Palmer had a few games last season in which he wasn't able to do the one thing which he was known for, goal scoring, look at his youth record and he knew how to score; he just failed to bring any of it to the top level with him which makes him limited. It's the one thing we need to sign a player to bring and we're now having to take a huge risk of if it pays off or not. I think any youngster who is given time at City becomes highly rated but reality is he's a loan player at most other clubs, including our club, we have signed so many 'we shall have to wait and see' players that I think we need to really bring in some established players if we are to make things work. Take today for example, I'm listening to the game and it sounds like we have some young exciting talent but no plan to use them; I actually think Jorginho would have done wonders for our guys this season, they need some real communication and leadership on the pitch and dare I say I don't think Poch has enough in him to fill that gap.

Palmer in highlight reels looks great, but when having watched City play he has always looked like the youth player on the pitch, even in the games this season where he scored he looked like the young lad who is being given a chance to find his feet. If we can't get into a European place come the end of the season the gap between us and the top sides will grow, and we could end up needing to find better players, but how will we do that with so many young players on long-term contracts.

Does Palmer make your starting lineup for Chelsea? Does a young surplus City player walk into the starting lineup or have we signed yet another development player to share time with already too many development players? We normally loan these players out to get game time and now we're stockpiling so they have to share game time, which means less first team game time to develop. If Pep thought he was going to be a top player he wouldn't have sold him, the reason he let's players leave when they want to is because he makes it clear to the player they aren't good enough for his long-term plans.

38 minutes ago, Gurj SS said:

Haha!! Can't be sensible all the time!

My worry is Palmer had a few games last season in which he wasn't able to do the one thing which he was known for, goal scoring, look at his youth record and he knew how to score; he just failed to bring any of it to the top level with him which makes him limited. It's the one thing we need to sign a player to bring and we're now having to take a huge risk of if it pays off or not. I think any youngster who is given time at City becomes highly rated but reality is he's a loan player at most other clubs, including our club, we have signed so many 'we shall have to wait and see' players that I think we need to really bring in some established players if we are to make things work. Take today for example, I'm listening to the game and it sounds like we have some young exciting talent but no plan to use them; I actually think Jorginho would have done wonders for our guys this season, they need some real communication and leadership on the pitch and dare I say I don't think Poch has enough in him to fill that gap.

Palmer in highlight reels looks great, but when having watched City play he has always looked like the youth player on the pitch, even in the games this season where he scored he looked like the young lad who is being given a chance to find his feet. If we can't get into a European place come the end of the season the gap between us and the top sides will grow, and we could end up needing to find better players, but how will we do that with so many young players on long-term contracts.

Does Palmer make your starting lineup for Chelsea? Does a young surplus City player walk into the starting lineup or have we signed yet another development player to share time with already too many development players? We normally loan these players out to get game time and now we're stockpiling so they have to share game time, which means less first team game time to develop. If Pep thought he was going to be a top player he wouldn't have sold him, the reason he let's players leave when they want to is because he makes it clear to the player they aren't good enough for his long-term plans.

I actually agree with a lot of that, although I still think Pep is prepared to let go top players for the right price if they want to leave. From the sounds of it, Palmer felt like he was deserving more minutes and that doesn't usually go well with Pep.

It's interesting going on the City forum - they all think 45 million is crazy money for Palmer, maybe 50% are gutted he's leaving, maybe 10 or 20% think they could really regret it. Point is he's no Foden at this age, but then we wouldn't have got Foden for 45 million.

At this point in the window I am happy with Palmer. I think he's a great addition and I hated the idea of bringing back Felix if that was ever even an option - maybe we should have moved quicker and got Kudus though.

I'd rather have young players with the right attitude than the likes of Felix who are proven lightweights. I do think our sheer amount of youth could cost us, although with Caicedo, Enzo, Nkunku and Jackson I do believe we have some real new leaders on the pitch.

3 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

Plenty of Chelsea supporters cried the sky was falling in when Hall left. I think this is just what supporters do, buy into the potential and romance of their youth products and massively overrate them. 

£40m for someone with 3 PL starts (and not breaking double figures if I more generously include all senior starts) is insane, let's be honest.

He’s also not 18, he’s 21. 

This will either prove to be absolutely genius or absolutely bonkers imo. £40m for someone with that little experience, being 21 he’s also not the next Foden. 

5 hours ago, Ham said:

I'm not sure Cole Palmer can be described as average and as has been pointed out here before,  our academy players have been allowed to leave for a number of reasons.

In some cases we've been well stocked in some positions and in others, players have pushed for a move.

In the case of Palmer, yes he's from another academy but he satisfies a specific need. 

He's been highly regarded for a couple of years on a few youth/academy football twitter accounts I follow. 

In the last 12 months he's been thrown in at ever-increasing levels (LC/FAC/PL and CL) and excelled each time. 

CHO had his opportunity to be that player and for whatever reason he's regressed.   

I made my comment before us buying Palmer and at 21 he’s hardly an academy player. This is probably just a panic buy imo. £40m for someone with that little experience is beyond “buying young and taking a punt”. This is flat out a high risk move. 

53 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

I made my comment before us buying Palmer and at 21 he’s hardly an academy player. This is probably just a panic buy imo. £40m for someone with that little experience is beyond “buying young and taking a punt”. This is flat out a high risk move. 

Let's not forget that you're basing your opinion of him on a bit of YouTube research whilst experienced scouts will have been watching him and others week in week out wherever he has played.

The overall conclusion across the various Twitter scouting accounts is that he's been a superstar of the future since 2021.  

I'm excited about this one.  

• Like 2

From the highlights I’ve seen Palmer is a fantastic signing. Holds the ball well, a good dribbler, great crosser, can pick a pass, has got a good shot on him, can play left wing, right wing, or more central. He’s an incredibly versatile forward. The thing that stands out is how clever he is on the ball. I think he’s going to surprise a few people.

I think the disappointment is that he’s not the lethal finisher we still require. But I don’t think he’s been bought for that position. That might be Toney in January. I think Palmer has been bought for his versatility and creativity. The problem is Poch’s to solve how he’s going to blend all these talented youngsters into a team. But it’s not a bad problem to have. 

Edited by Original 21

Seen a few Man City games while I've waited for ours or just wanted something on in the background, Palmer generally stood out as a pretty bright talent in some of them. He's Premier League ready as is, which I think is probably some of the appeal of getting him in through the door here. 

Watching a few clips on Youtube and he gives me shades of Mahrez with the manner in which he moves and operates on the ball, plus also has a quite a satisfying left foot. Some of which is demented below.

7 hours ago, Ham said:

Let's not forget that you're basing your opinion of him on a bit of YouTube research whilst experienced scouts will have been watching him and others week in week out wherever he has played.

The overall conclusion across the various Twitter scouting accounts is that he's been a superstar of the future since 2021.  

I'm excited about this one.  

No scouting here, just another recruit from TBSD ex- club. 

2 minutes ago, Sciatika said:

I am struggling to understand why Man City would let him go when De Bruyne is injured and they have a lot of fixtures to play in the runup to Xmas.  

Because Chitty’s lottery ticket came in. 

According to the wireless he was told no more loans and fight for your place or you can leave.  Then along came TBSD

15 minutes ago, Sciatika said:

I am struggling to understand why Man City would let him go when De Bruyne is injured and they have a lot of fixtures to play in the runup to Xmas.  

Presumably because they think they have better options for that position? I see Pep has experimented with Alvarez behind Haaland and then of course they have both Silva and Foden. 

3 hours ago, xceleryx said:

Seen a few Man City games while I've waited for ours or just wanted something on in the background, Palmer generally stood out as a pretty bright talent in some of them. He's Premier League ready as is, which I think is probably some of the appeal of getting him in through the door here. 

Watching a few clips on Youtube and he gives me shades of Mahrez with the manner in which he moves and operates on the ball, plus also has a quite a satisfying left foot. Some of which is demented below.

Hard to judge since a large slice of those highlights was U-21 and below it seems. 

I’m still struggling to see why we are doing this apart from his position. If this was the “big surprise” of the window it’s an awful disappointment. 

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Hard to judge since a large slice of those highlights was U-21 and below it seems. 

I’m still struggling to see why we are doing this apart from his position. If this was the “big surprise” of the window it’s an awful disappointment. 

Think he's more of an opportune signing that we've had eyes on for a bit, but largely rested on if Palmer was satisfied with his role at City going into this season. He wasn't, so we swooped in and made something happen. 

I think he's a good pick up personally, even if maybe a touch more expensive than I'd have liked. He fits our needs as a RW that can also float across the attacking midfield and LW positions should we need. Looks to have a really good eye for goal, having showcased that at youth level and early in the piece as a first team player. 

May not have been the sort of big surprise as expected, and maybe he isn't that surprise at all we'll have to wait and see, but he's ready to contribute now and fits the direction we're taking. The rest we'll found out about in due course. 

27 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

I think the other factor here is the Joe Shields link. I think Palmer potential signing, added to the signing of Lavia, suggests Joe Shields certainly seems to have some influence in what is going on with Chelsea transfers right now.

Its been mooted that he was likely going to be made available for transfer over the last 7-10 days. I would imagine Shields has then started banging this drum very loudly, based on his experience of working with him during his City days. He has probably managed to convince people that we should take this opportunity to sign him.

Let's hope he ends up right!

Personally, I really would not read too much into Pep letting him go. Whilst he is a ruthless manager, I also think he is the kind of manager that is happy to see a young kid go and further his career (from a playing perspective), if he cannot guarantee him the minutes he needs right now at 21 years old.