Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

1 hour ago, Sciatika said:

I am struggling to understand why Man City would let him go when De Bruyne is injured and they have a lot of fixtures to play in the runup to Xmas.  

They signed Matheus Nunes this morning. That's probably why. Another outstanding bit of business from them. 

1 hour ago, xceleryx said:

Think he's more of an opportune signing that we've had eyes on for a bit, but largely rested on if Palmer was satisfied with his role at City going into this season. He wasn't, so we swooped in and made something happen. 

I think he's a good pick up personally, even if maybe a touch more expensive than I'd have liked. He fits our needs as a RW that can also float across the attacking midfield and LW positions should we need. Looks to have a really good eye for goal, having showcased that at youth level and early in the piece as a first team player. 

May not have been the sort of big surprise as expected, and maybe he isn't that surprise at all we'll have to wait and see, but he's ready to contribute now and fits the direction we're taking. The rest we'll found out about in due course. 

He has just below 500 PL minutes across three seasons and 19 apps (14 starts). In that time he’s managed one assist and no goals. To imagine we are paying up to £45m for that is ridiculous beyond belief. 

1 hour ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

I just wish they’d signed a couple of experienced players to help lead all these youngsters and drag them through those tough games/periods.

Quite. This looks to be our squad;

GK: Sanchez (25), Petrovic (23), Bettinelli (31)

RB: James (23), Gusto (20)

LB: Chilwell (26), Maatsen (21)

CB: Silva (38), Disasi (25), Colwill (20), Badiashile (22), Chalobah (24) and injured Fofana (22)

CM: Enzo (22), Caicedo (21), Gallagher (23), Lavia (19), Ugochukwu (19)

AM: Sterling (28), Nkunku (25), Madueke (21), Mudryk (22), Chukwuemeka (19), Palmer (21)

S: Jackson (22), Broja (21), Burstow (20)

That is an incredibly young squad. Probably the youngest in the league I’d say without checking. On top of this, we also have players like Gabriel (18), Slonina (19), Washington (18), Humphreys (19), Santos (19), Casadei (20), DD Fofana (20), Webster (19),  Hutchinson (19) to name a few out on loan and Samuels-Smith (17), Morerira (18), Matos (18), Olise (18) in the academy… There is no balance whatsoever and there is no way the majority of these players will go in to play a meaningful role for us long term. With this crazy push for youth, I feel we have discarded our youth an academy products as well. It just doesn’t sit right with me at the moment. We are playing a crazy, crazy game here. 

1 hour ago, Morgs said:

They signed Matheus Nunes this morning. That's probably why. Another outstanding bit of business from them. 

Not even £10m more than what Wolves bought him for last season. If that’s us we are quoted £60m+. Something doesn’t add up - I’m thinking hidden payments to Wolves… 

2 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

CB: Silva (38), Disasi (25), Colwill (20), Badiashile (22), Chalobah (24) and injured Fofana (22)

AM: Sterling (28), Nkunku (25), Madueke (21), Mudryk (22), Chukwuemeka (19), Palmer (21)

The above really drives home the importance in the squad of Sterling and Chilwell doesnt it? And of course of Thiago Silva. 

• Agree 2

7 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

He has just below 500 PL minutes across three seasons and 19 apps (14 starts). In that time he’s managed one assist and no goals. To imagine we are paying up to £45m for that is ridiculous beyond belief. 

That is an incredibly young squad. Probably the youngest in the league I’d say without checking. On top of this, we also have players like Gabriel (18), Slonina (19), Washington (18), Humphreys (19), Santos (19), Casadei (20), DD Fofana (20), Webster (19),  Hutchinson (19) to name a few out on loan and Samuels-Smith (17), Morerira (18), Matos (18), Olise (18) in the academy… There is no balance whatsoever and there is no way the majority of these players will go in to play a meaningful role for us long term. With this crazy push for youth, I feel we have discarded our youth an academy products as well. It just doesn’t sit right with me at the moment. We are playing a crazy, crazy game here. 

Or a very, very clever one.

We have bought an awful lot of young players that I do not think will ever play a minute for us. I don't think they've been bought for anything other than a way to make money. 

Now I'm no expert on FFP but we get them young and cheap, on low wages and long contracts. Their value can only go one way and with the long contracts and relative low book value in a couple of years time you start flipping these players and making profit.

Since the new owners came in they've taken a completely different approach to anything we have ever seen and it's pissed people off to the extent that they changed the rules to stop us doing it. I expect more rule changes to come in, limiting the amount of players you can buy in a certain period or something like that as an example.

The big difference with our owners is that this isn't government money or Royal state money, their wealth has been built through business and investment. They are very clever at what they do and have seen something in football that has never been done before and was their to be exploited. 

Personally I have complete faith in what they are doing on this side of things, the financial side and exploiting FFP, not so sure how successful they will make the first team but I think they are two very different things which aren't necessarily interlinked.

12 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

TBF the manner in which he's been used by Pep does mean it's hard to have notable G/A numbers. Looking beyond his league form he has registered goals in the FA Cup and Europe, and from an all comps perspective he's got 1481 minutes for 6G/2A. 

We sold an 18 year old midfielder with 600 league minutes, that pinch hit at wingback, that's been signed to play fullback, for £35m. 

The market is what it is, rightly or wrongly. 

10 minutes ago, Morgs said:

Daily Mail gleefully announcing Spurs are "considering" a move for Conor Gallagher.

Yeah, I'm considering a move for Megan Fox, lads. 

Dream on. 

They've been considering it for a bloody long time then seeing as they've run this story twice before  since the window opened, you'd have thought they'd been considered out by now. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

Honestly speaking, Morgerino, I wouldn’t sell him for any price.

Totally agree. Skippered the side last night and did very well as well. Undroppable, unsellable and unmissable. 

There is something wonderfully "Chelsea" about this being THE CONOR GALLAGHER SEASON with all the money and shiny new arrivals we have seen. 

Fact is it is Conor Gallagher's world and we are just living in it -  and I absolutely love the oceans of p*** that this undeniable fact boils across our fanbase.  

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

TBF the manner in which he's been used by Pep does mean it's hard to have notable G/A numbers. Looking beyond his league form he has registered goals in the FA Cup and Europe, and from an all comps perspective he's got 1481 minutes for 6G/2A. 

We sold an 18 year old midfielder with 600 league minutes, that pinch hit at wingback, that's been signed to play fullback, for £35m. 

Didn't he score on two cup finals? 

3 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

I would also add that getting 1500 minutes of football for City, in any competition, by the age of 21 is pretty impressive.

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

Honestly speaking, Morgerino, I wouldn’t sell him for any price.

Honestly speaking Matt, i wouldn't sell that lot the steam off my urine

1 minute ago, martin1905 said:

I would also add that getting 1500 minutes of football for City, in any competition, by the age of 21 is pretty impressive.

You may well be correct here.  I can remember what it was like at Chelsea for young players not so long ago. Most never even got anything beyond the odd 10-15 mins a couple of times a year.  

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Didn't he score on two cup finals? 

After being very impressive at the Euros. Like I said yesterday, my wife's family are up Norf and they all support City, with most being season ticket holders and they are all absolutely gutted. These aren't random internet forum members but real people I personally know.

Now I get that I'm just a random internet forum member to people on here but personally I'll take their opinion way above anything I've heard over the last couple of days.

The big thing for me is how much they say he has improved over the last six months, they really expected this to be his break through season and  are disappointed to see him leave. They tell me we have an absolute star on our hands.

Time will tell but from what I've read and seen plus been told I'm very excited by him.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

52 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Not even £10m more than what Wolves bought him for last season. If that’s us we are quoted £60m+. Something doesn’t add up - I’m thinking hidden payments to Wolves… 

I had the same thought. Turns out a City youth player is going to Wolves in a "unrelated" deal. Will be a way of fiddling it.

1 hour ago, Morgs said:

I think, having slept on it, the Palmer buy makes sense. Some thoughts while I wait for Outlook to load my emails. 

I don't think City would have tried to offload him but once he heard Nunes was coming in and without assurances over playing time he "did a Lewis Hall" and I suspect asked for a move. His agent called Joe Shields and it got done quickly. My reading of it is that they'd likely have been fine to keep him but he asked for the move and the money gave them some valuable breathing room in terms of FFP. I have no proof of any of this but I think its the most likely scenario; more likely then, than Pep deciding he isn't very good and wanting to get rid, as if that were the case there would have been movement earlier in the window I suspect. The reaction from the Man City fans I know regarding his move does bear this view out. 

I think it is important to look at what he would bring us rather than what he was doing at City. 

He is naturally left footed so predominantly plays on the right but can play on the left if needed. If we think Sterling and Madueke (who was excellent last night by the way) have the right side locked down and he only has to get in front of poor Diego Moreira (who had one of the all time worst debuts for us last night and will surely go on loan, probably never to play for us again sadly) and the very raw and rough Mudryk, you would think his pathway would be much clearer on the left side. 

He played on the right at City mostly but I'd be surprised if that were the case at Chelsea. He cant play up top but can contribute as a number ten centrally up top behind a striker so he may play there from time to time with Chuks and Nkunku injured. 

He's a big and comparatively physical player with a directness that makes up for maybe a lack of subtlety - he's all about taking the shot on. He does score goals and is big enough to handle himself in tight and physical confines of a massed defence of yet another Prem team refusing to come out of their own half with everyone behind the ball and preferring to press and kick instead of play football. He'll see that a lot at Chelsea. 

Unlike Mudryk he isn't the quickest - its deceptive because you expect wingers to be lightning fast but Palmer isn't really. He's no slouch but he is not remarkably fast. He's more physical and direct than he is fast and flighty. With my own feelings on our own Ukrainian (notso)superstar well made on this site, I do not think this is a coincidence. It is easy to imagine Palmer being a less subtle and nuanced answer to a rather unsubtle and brutish question posed by the majority of Prem teams when they set up against us, than the flight footed but one-dimensional Mudryk.

If you view Poch as someone who needs a toolbox to unlock defences, Palmer is certainly a different option to Mudryk and in a funny way may benefit Mudryk to play with Palmer. Where the Ukrainian falls woefully short is his decision-making and knowing when to make his runs and when to receive the ball with his back to goal and move it quickly to beat the press. He also needs to learn when to release it when he is running into yet another blind cul-de-sac that will inevitably end in him getting kicked ten feet up into the air and losing possession. Lastly he desperately needs to work on his finishing. It is starkly clear to me that Palmer's gifts are precisely those that Mudryk doesnt have and needs to work on. You could potentially argue the opposite could be true in some ways - Palmer doesnt immediately look to roast his man even before the ball arrives into feet like Mudryk does and the Ukrainian may teach him how to be even more direct when the opportunies arise.

If we think Palmer and Mudryk are two profoundly different wingers with very different skillsets and gifts it starts to make more sense, particularly when you see the exciting young Madueke last night and how he does the same job as Sterling but with a similarly different skillset and style based more on dribbling and raw pace than Sterling's more direct and movement-based creative game. 

What you have are different tools and different options to change things up when they aren't going to plan.  

Lastly, yes it is a big fee but he is only 21 and if he doesn't make it at Chelsea we are unlikely to have a Drunkwater/Barkley situation where we cant shift him and should recoup a lot of or all of the fee we shelled out.  From an FFP perspective it is good business. He'll be on modest wages too. 

Characteristically long-winded 😉, but yes!

• Thanks 1