Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

30 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

Or a very, very clever one.

We have bought an awful lot of young players that I do not think will ever play a minute for us. I don't think they've been bought for anything other than a way to make money. 

Now I'm no expert on FFP but we get them young and cheap, on low wages and long contracts. Their value can only go one way and with the long contracts and relative low book value in a couple of years time you start flipping these players and making profit.

Since the new owners came in they've taken a completely different approach to anything we have ever seen and it's pissed people off to the extent that they changed the rules to stop us doing it. I expect more rule changes to come in, limiting the amount of players you can buy in a certain period or something like that as an example.

The big difference with our owners is that this isn't government money or Royal state money, their wealth has been built through business and investment. They are very clever at what they do and have seen something in football that has never been done before and was their to be exploited. 

Personally I have complete faith in what they are doing on this side of things, the financial side and exploiting FFP, not so sure how successful they will make the first team but I think they are two very different things which aren't necessarily interlinked.

It isn't something that's never been done or seen before in football. It's exactly what City do. Most of the players in the tweeted list were not academy products, but players bought on the cheap and flipped for profit (sometimes involving deals with other City Group clubs). 

If they can make it work, it will be very effective. But it isn't their genius, pioneering idea.

3 minutes ago, Morgs said:

Why do all these highlight reel videos all have such absolutely dreadful "music" ?

Whats wrong with a bit of Fleetwood Mac or Nik Kershaw, that's what I want to know.

I don't think I'd put the Mighty Mac in the Kershaw bucket!

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Morgs said:

Why do all these highlight reel videos all have such absolutely dreadful "music" ?

Whats wrong with a bit of Fleetwood Mac or Nik Kershaw, that's what I want to know.

I think i'd rather listen to a burglar alarm for 4 minutes than listen to Fleetwood F**king Mac if i'm honest. 

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 3

13 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

It isn't something that's never been done or seen before in football. It's exactly what City do. Most of the players in the tweeted list were not academy products, but players bought on the cheap and flipped for profit (sometimes involving deals with other City Group clubs). 

If they can make it work, it will be very effective. But it isn't their genius, pioneering idea.

I meant to do it in the way we have done, not over a seven year period  but new owners coming in and doing it straight away, on the scale we have with the silly long term contracts.

I can't remember a club ever spending the amount of money we have in the past 12 months on young players and given them 7/8 year contracts.

3 minutes ago, RDCW said:

Maybe you haven't heard the original Peter Green lineup!

I'm not even willing to try it to be honest - I've never liked them.  Just one of those bands that irritate me as much as they seem to delight everyone else. I left a pub the other week because the (mediocre) band's setlist was mainly FM stuff. Couldn't hack it. 

1 hour ago, Sleeping Dave said:

That is an incredibly young squad. Probably the youngest in the league I’d say without checking. On top of this, we also have players like Gabriel (18), Slonina (19), Washington (18), Humphreys (19), Santos (19), Casadei (20), DD Fofana (20), Webster (19),  Hutchinson (19) to name a few out on loan and Samuels-Smith (17), Morerira (18), Matos (18), Olise (18) in the academy… 

Would honestly be surprised if there was a younger squad in the whole of Europe 

• Agree 2

10 minutes ago, Bert19 said:

I'm not even willing to try it to be honest - I've never liked them.  Just one of those bands that irritate me as much as they seem to delight everyone else. I left a pub the other week because the (mediocre) band's setlist was mainly FM stuff. Couldn't hack it. 

Totally different band! Originally a proper Blues band which morphed into the West Coast rock band you hate after the departure of Peter Green, formerly of John Mayall's Bluesbreakers. Take a listen, you might be surprised. Gary Moore did a tribute to Peter Green with his album, "Blues For Greeny", also worth a listen.

Having said that, I like a bit of easy West Coast Rock too !

Edited by RDCW

1 hour ago, martin1905 said:

https://www.chelseafc.com/en/news/article/lukaku-departs-on-loan

Lukaku officially gone, second most important story on the website, behind our new kit.

Not exactly a heartfelt announcement. May as well have read, "don't let the door hit your sizeable @rse on the way out"

8 minutes ago, Rob B said:

Would honestly be surprised if there was a younger squad in the whole of Europe 

Posted this in the squad thread. Average age of circa 22. unheard of.

1 minute ago, paulw66 said:

Not exactly a heartfelt announcement. May as well have read, "don't let the door hit your sizeable @rse on the way out"

Posted this in the squad thread. Average age of circa 22. unheard of.

That is the most lukewarm departure announcement I've seen on TOCWS. Absolutely appropriate.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I used to play in a band, I'm rubbish but love both incarnations of "The Mac" personally despite being a headbanger! 

I'd say there were three versions. The early blues stuff, then onto the soft rock (I liked some of it) and by the 80's they were releasing what I would consider pure pop music. 

Overall, not one of my favourite bands by any means, but I'd still rate them as a great band with excellent song writers, musicians and good singers.

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

One O clock UK time , I expect Romelu is just sitting down at the tattoo parlour in Rome to have the Lazio crest put over his heart . 

He won’t be able to eat doughnuts during the tattoo so may have to wait. Hopefully the 10 XXL pizzas he had for lunch will sustain him. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

It is getting quite ridiculous isn’t it. I’ve never feared a transfer window before but I’m genuinely worried about January and how many more players we’ll be bringing in!

Also, WTF is going to happen in pre-season next season?! with Casadei and Santos returning from their loans. We will have a bigger squad than we did at the beginning of this pre-season.

Just now, ROTG said:

You can’t win anything with kids - Alan Hanson August 1995. 😀

True, but Neville dispelled this somewhat recently with the very valid points that the United squad had Schmeichal, Bruce, May, Pallister, Irwin, McClair, Keane, Cantona, Cole

Sure, the Nevilles, Scholes, Giggs, Beckham, Butt played their part, but there was plenty of experience there.