Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

21 minutes ago, Original 21 said:

We’ve been trying to offload Cucurella and Chalobah without much success. I fear the Board might now be tempted to cash in on Gallagher instead. 

IMG_5385.jpeg

I’d honestly be confident that Gallagher wouldn’t move to Spurs. I do actually think he has a genuine love for the club and wouldn’t move there based on that and the fact he’s clearly liked by Poch and going to get deserved playing time

• Like 1

9 hours ago, martin1905 said:

Or a very, very clever one.

We have bought an awful lot of young players that I do not think will ever play a minute for us. I don't think they've been bought for anything other than a way to make money. 

Now I'm no expert on FFP but we get them young and cheap, on low wages and long contracts. Their value can only go one way and with the long contracts and relative low book value in a couple of years time you start flipping these players and making profit.

Since the new owners came in they've taken a completely different approach to anything we have ever seen and it's pissed people off to the extent that they changed the rules to stop us doing it. I expect more rule changes to come in, limiting the amount of players you can buy in a certain period or something like that as an example.

The big difference with our owners is that this isn't government money or Royal state money, their wealth has been built through business and investment. They are very clever at what they do and have seen something in football that has never been done before and was their to be exploited. 

Personally I have complete faith in what they are doing on this side of things, the financial side and exploiting FFP, not so sure how successful they will make the first team but I think they are two very different things which aren't necessarily interlinked.

I suppose that remains to be seen. We have bought quite a few for £15m or more, with wages most likely ranging between £40k-£80k/week. I am not convinced most of them will represent a serious profit and the ones who do isn’t those the players we want to keep? After all, we are nowhere near City’s quality…

9 hours ago, xceleryx said:

TBF the manner in which he's been used by Pep does mean it's hard to have notable G/A numbers. Looking beyond his league form he has registered goals in the FA Cup and Europe, and from an all comps perspective he's got 1481 minutes for 6G/2A. 

We sold an 18 year old midfielder with 600 league minutes, that pinch hit at wingback, that's been signed to play fullback, for £35m. 

The market is what it is, rightly or wrongly. 

Eh ok? He’s scored in two glorified friendlies which is 33% of his goals for City over three seasons… 

Hall played 658 PL minutes last season alone. He’s 3 years younger… 

9 hours ago, martin1905 said:

https://www.chelseafc.com/en/news/article/lukaku-departs-on-loan

Lukaku officially gone, second most important story on the website, behind our new kit.

Best bit of business all summer. Fatty has left the building? 🎉

9 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

Didn't he score on two cup finals? 

Cup finals 😂

9 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

I had the same thought. Turns out a City youth player is going to Wolves in a "unrelated" deal. Will be a way of fiddling it.

Yes, this one really stinks to be honest. Would be a fairly ballsy move considering the pending investigation they are under… 

6 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

Just seen this estimate of the savings made on the wages this season , sobering stuff .

Chelsea's reduced wage bill this summer:
Lukaku - 375K P/W.
Kanté - 300k P/W.
Koulibaly - 290k P/W.
Havertz - 200k P/W.
Azpilicueta - 180k P/W.
Cucurella - 175k P/W.
Aubameyang - 160k P/W.
Kepa - 170k P/W.
Pulisic - 150k P/W.
Ruben - 120k P/W.
Ziyech - 100k P/W.
Kovacic - 100k P/W.
Mount - 80k P/W.
Mendy - 55k P/W.

I’ve been critical of the players we’ve brought to the club. Not much to complain about when it comes to the outgoings (apart from Mount, that one hurt). 

5 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Well, that's already a potential issue. We have Enzo, Lavia, Caicedo, Gallagher and Ugochukwu, plus Carney. Oldest player Gallagher, 23

Add in the other 2, that's midfielders, who next summer will all be 24 and under. 

Bad planning and showcase that we are buying too much. I’d much rather we’d bought fewer players but really focused on improving the ones we believed in most. 8 midfielders all below 24 is way overkill imo. 

1 minute ago, paulw66 said:

I can't wait for this window to close. 

Quite.  If we end up losing Maatsen because we can't get rid of Cucurella, I can see him becoming a villain. 

Not being able to sell Chalobah will possibly result in Gallagher being sold. 

The perils of leaving important sales to the last minute. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Also, if they sell Gallagher to Spurs of all teams, I will not forgive them.

A cardinal sin .

They should cast their minds back to when Modric wanted to come here .

We should go along with it and pull out at a minute before the deadline .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 2

I wonder if Poch was sending the Board a message by making Gallagher captain the other night. A hands-off if you like. 

Problem is I can’t see Winstanley and his mate being all that bothered. It’s been clear for a while that they run things when it comes to recruitment and ultimately if they need to sell Gallagher to balance the books, they’ll get their way, especially if the offer is tempting enough. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

So let me get this straight.

Gallagher loves Chelsea and desperately wants to stay. By all metrics, he is playing very well, Poch wants him to stay the fans want him to stay.  He's come through our academy and is truly one of our own.

As a reward, we try to flog him Tottenham Hotspur of all clubs. 

Wow.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

34 minutes ago, Floyd25 said:

Board are undermining the manager? Doesn’t look good if that’s the case. 

A big enough issue for managers to resign in years gone by. These days the money is probably too big for them to walk away from big job bs so they'll keep their mouths shut and put up with being undermined.

There's a new Guardian article about how TB and co are going to run Chelsea in a way that has never been tried before in football. If the article is close to being accurate? then I  must admit to being concerned about their long-term plans. The pettty removal of the travel help for away supporters is just a taste of things to come in what sounds like a very cold and clinical way they want to run the club. Looking after the  longtime, hardcore fanbase isn't top of their list of priorities.