Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

Too many people with too much money and too much time on their hands playing about with my football club.

If Gallagher goes to Spurs that's the last straw for me and I don't think Chalobah should leave either.

They've got absolutely no idea and MP just looks like a puppet coach.

(Naive over reaction I know but it's how I feel right at this moment)

• Love 2

5 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

Mindful that Maatsen had delayed signing an extension and his current deals ends in 2024. 

Without a deal signed it was always probable he'd be sold by the end of the window. 

I accept that point, but the my question would be why we didn't just keep Hall? We'll have gone from having amazing depth at left back to being one injury to Chilwell away from disaster. 

Cucurella has not only been very poor since signing for us,  but I fear his signing might have cost us two incredible talents. 

Edited by Proud-Blue
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Proud-Blue said:

I accept that point, but the my question would be why we didn't just keep Hall? We'll have gone from having amazing depth at left back to being one injury to Chilwell away from disaster. 

Cucurella has not only been very poor since signing for us,  but I fear his signing might have cost us two incredible talents. 

Hall wanted to leave and join the club he and his family support. He's also not a left back, and is pretty much completely untried and tested in the position. He's a midfielder by trade that pinch hit for us at wingback, being a full time fullback is a very different role and one he's not guaranteed to be successful in. 

Cucurella isn't the problem here, however it's a case of low hanging fruit that can be used to generate clicks. 

Maatsen hasn't been used as a fullback since returning, whether that's because of his contract situation or purely tactical we're unlikely to know for sure, but it is something to note. 

Would've preferred to have kept Maatsen myself, he looks bright, but at the end of the day we also can't afford to sell him for peanuts in January or worse, lose him for free in the summer. 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Isn't his contract up next summer? Been widely reported to be the case, and if it's true then this rumour cannot be. As in, it must be a sale.

The deal has been agreed now though, so that supersedes his status in a year? 

In other words, regardless of the fact the he would be a free agent when his loan finishes, on the 1 September 2023, Burnley have entered into a legally binding agreement to pay us £31m on the 1 July 2024 (or whatever the date would be) 

But a loan with an obligation to buy is ultimately a delayed sale anyway 

9 minutes ago, chiswickblue said:

If we sell Maatsen and loan Burstow and Humphries, we'll be down to 26 first team players, of which 6 are currently undergoing rehabilitation and 3 others are not fit to play yet. Maybe we'll have to pick 5 goalkeepers for the bench tomorrow.

And what was the point of having them in the lineup for Wimbledon.......

Just now, Rob B said:

The deal has been agreed now though, so that supersedes his status in a year? 

In other words, regardless of the fact the he would be a free agent when his loan finishes, on the 1 September 2023, Burnley have entered into a legally binding agreement to pay us £31m on the 1 July 2024 (or whatever the date would be) 

But a loan with an obligation to buy is ultimately a delayed sale anyway 

I suppose so. A way of getting that "pure profit" on next year's books.

• Agree 1

Ok..just waded through the morning's backlog here....

Some, hopefully, cold eyed looks at things.

We, and I include myself, rarely look at the long term at this time of year.

Conor and the rest of the academy graduates are Chelsea assets both "on the books" and on the field as indeed are all the playing staff including the Ladies.

I remember the going of many players that upset me including Butch and Ossie...different reasons for their moving on but justified reasons for the Club.

CHO ...when Bayern were sniffing about there was the same sort of outcry as we are witnessing now about Conor and Trev specifically but in general about academy graduates. Take away the emotional attachment, hard though it may be, Now everyone and his brother agree it's best for CHO to go at any price. (Injuries didn't help but part of the mix)

IF Conor (or anyone) goes it will just be part and parcel of the BUSINESS and has been so in the game since day one.

I like Conor and hope he stays,,the media has a lot to answer for in terms of muddying the waters and printing speculative rubbish.

The "Company",,Chelsea obviously has a long term business plan...we may not agree with things but as often quoted  "It's not my money" so we can indulge ourselves in emotional and personal approaches to Chelsea as our club.

The "cold eye" ?...is Conor (or trev) really that good that any club, let alone Chelsea. should fight to keep him? In my very humble opinion No...certainly not let them go casually and they have a lot to offer but not in a priceless sense.

The length of contracts has the media and others aghast but we know contracts mean little if a player wants to go or a club wants to get rid off...smoke and mirrors...leave that subject with the Accounts ...

The Academy is not the Golden Goose answer to all things..for me it's like the Apprentice system where by after the end of a defined term the best graduate usually stays with the home Co and the rest have a good trade ability to peddle in the industry,

I read The Guardian "Warning" regarding the future of the game as they defined the Chelsea "plan",,shock horror until I thought "IT'S THE GUARDIAN."......forever wallowing in pseudo intellectual defence of a status quo that never was but is pure and they are.. well... The Guardians!

The idea that a new approach to the business side of the game if influenced by sports business practices in the USA is absolutely a wrecker of "OUR GAME" is ludicrous...lazy example..before there was McDonalds in the UK ?...criticise that fast food revolution but don't deny what a game changer it was.

Too long and too early in the morning for me but a closing thought...last year the overwhelming call from nearly everyone was get rid of every player that Chelsea moved on this Summer..an amazing result and the long term efforts to replace and rebuild the Club are being sneered at everywhere...we may not agree with individual decisions but by any measure of ambition we are witnessing something quite unique..total breakdown and rebuild of a Top Club whilst still competing in the EPL.

Apologise for the long winded offering and much I have not covered .

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

Hall wanted to leave and join the club he and his family support. He's also not a left back, and is pretty much completely untried and tested in the position. He's a midfielder by trade that pinch hit for us at wingback, being a full time fullback is a very different role and one he's not guaranteed to be successful in. 

Cucurella isn't the problem here, however it's a case of low hanging fruit that can be used to generate clicks. 

Maatsen hasn't been used as a fullback since returning, whether that's because of his contract situation or purely tactical we're unlikely to know for sure, but it is something to note. 

Would've preferred to have kept Maatsen myself, he looks bright, but at the end of the day we also can't afford to sell him for peanuts in January or worse, lose him for free in the summer. 

Yeah I agree that we can't let Maatsen leave for free. If he is flatly refusing to sign a contract, then we have to sell him now. I suspect he would have been moved to back-up LWB/LB if Cucurella and Hall were both gone.

Lewis Hall may be a natural midfielder, but he played regularly for us at left-back last season, particularly towards the end. I don't think it's accurate to say he' "pretty much completely untried and tested in the position". Not least because his performances there were a rare positive for last season, and they were certainly better than Cucurella's. A lot of players go through their youth careers playing different roles to the ones they end up playing in the first team, so my guess is at Chelsea he probably would have been an LB and cover for midfield. The Newcastle fan thing though, I do get. 

I'm not blaming Cucurella as a person, but the club for making a decision to overpay enormously for him. We now have a player who has been a liability that we haven't been able to shift, and in the process we've blocked routes for other players. 

There does seem to be a rumour on Twitter atm that he's reluctant to leave. If that's true, he needs to commit to a new contract asap.