Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

1 hour ago, xceleryx said:

Hall wanted to leave and join the club he and his family support. He's also not a left back, and is pretty much completely untried and tested in the position. He's a midfielder by trade that pinch hit for us at wingback, being a full time fullback is a very different role and one he's not guaranteed to be successful in. 

Cucurella isn't the problem here, however it's a case of low hanging fruit that can be used to generate clicks. 

Maatsen hasn't been used as a fullback since returning, whether that's because of his contract situation or purely tactical we're unlikely to know for sure, but it is something to note. 

Would've preferred to have kept Maatsen myself, he looks bright, but at the end of the day we also can't afford to sell him for peanuts in January or worse, lose him for free in the summer. 

Hall left because he could see he didn’t have a snowballs chance in hell at Chelsea. Presumably Maatsen hasn’t signed a new contract for the very same reason despite Poch clearly stating he wants him in his squad on many occasions.

As I’ve said many times, you throw away enough academy prospects over time the signal to the next crop is clear - you’ve got no future here lad.  Especially since we’ve mostly signed players ahead of them who aren’t just overpaid they are also not very good. 

We are just seeing the beginning of that trend I’m afraid. 

• Agree 1

33 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Guess I was wrong about players u21 and club trained being exempt, both conditions do need to be met.

How on earth do we expect players like Les and Morreira to develop, or increase in value, playing probably only a handful of games here. 

Will be reduced to 6 players next season and after that I believe the PL will have to match the rules, so I guess that will include domestic loans too (eg Casadei and Santos). Seems like a short time to realize profits on all these youngsters we've bought, not really sure what the game plan is here.

Edited by Lump Of Celery

3 minutes ago, Lump Of Celery said:

Guess I was wrong about players u21 and club trained being exempt, both conditions do need to be met.

How on earth do we expect players like Les and Morreira to develop, or increase in value, playing probably only a handful of games here. 

Will be reduced to 6 players next season and after that I believe the PL will have to match the rules, so I guess that will include domestic loans too (eg Casadei and Santos). Seems like a short time to realize profits on all these youngsters we've bought, not really sure what the game plan is here.

There is no game plan and the sooner you realise that the easier it will be to accept the madness for what it is. 

2 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

The alleged 31.5m for Maatsen is mental money. Hard to figure out why anyone would be that annoyed accepting it. 

I think it's the fact in selling Maatsen we are one Chilwell injury away from Cucurella nausing things up in his place and ending yet another season before it starts. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mark Kelly said:

I think it's the fact in selling Maatsen we are one Chilwell injury away from Cucurella nausing things up in his place and ending yet another season before it starts. 

Cucurella isn't even second choice LB at the moment. Colwill is currently playing LB according to Pochettino himself. 

49 minutes ago, Original 21 said:

Gallagher staying then…

IMG_7812.jpeg

It's a long way to the door slamming.  Don't speak too soon. 

33 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

The alleged 31.5m for Maatsen is mental money. Hard to figure out why anyone would be that annoyed accepting it. 

Because everyone wants him to sign a new contract and stay.  He has said he wants to stay. 

He's a quality, swiss-army knife of a player with an eye for an assist and goal. 

He can cover 3 or 4 positions comfortably.  

Give him game time and he'll sign again by January. 

Edited by Ham
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

40 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

For someone who apparently wants to stay, but not to sign a new contract. 

Hudson-Odoi left for £3m today, after 4 years of earning £150k a week and contributing nothing. Couldn't be a more timely reminder that sometimes you should take the money and run.

Edited by thevelourfog
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

28 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Hudson-Odoi left for £3m today, after 4 years of earning £150k a week and contributing nothing. Couldn't be a more timely reminder that sometimes you should take the money and run.

If he genuinely wants to stay, I would hope he'd sign a new contract. 

Poch can do his magic on him. 

• Agree 1

54 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

We've also got the 18 year old left back from Everton with the strange name. Can see Maatsen being surplus 

1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

Colwill can also play LB assuming we revert to a back 4 

Said hours ago Gallagher wouldn't leave. Pochettino wants him to stay and he wants to stay. Of course the club would sell him for a certain price but that goes for literally every player at every club, it's nothing new.

He's not been priced out of a move, as much as the media want that to be the narrative, you don't open the bidding at £40m be told it's £48m and just walk away, he simply doesn't want to go and we don't particularly want to sell him.

Makes absolutely no difference to our financials if we sell him now, in January or the end of the season so don't believe we were trying to offload him and have priced him out, it's simply not true.

Edited by martin1905

3 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

Said hours ago Gallagher wouldn't leave. Pochettino wants him to stay and he wants to stay. Of course the club would sell him for a certain price but that goes the same for literally every player at every club, it's nothing new.

He's not been priced out of a move, as much as the media want that to be the narrative, you don't open the bidding at £40m be told it's £48m and just walk away, he simply doesn't want to go and we don't particularly want to sell him.

Makes absolutely no difference to our financials if we sell him now, in January or the end of the season so don't believe we were trying to offload him and have priced him out, it's simply not true.

Isn't this an "every player has his price" scenario, especially when it comes to our Cobham graduates? £50 million seems a lot for Gallagher. I wonder if Spurs felt that way too and if we would be able to reject that much even if Pochettino really likes him.