Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

I’m fine Gallagher staying. He has been gradually improving game by game so far. …….but we could end up with a player who we got £45m for sat on the bench most weeks in the near future. I’m sure he will get game time, but Enzo and Caicedo are certain starters and you don’t spend £58m on Lavia without viewing him as a first team player at some point.

Gallagher can fill different roles, but I suspect by the time October arrives, we are likely going to see him kicking his heels getting the odd 20mins here and there. I just cannot see it being a long term stay past this season. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Thiago97 said:

I’m fine Gallagher staying. He has been gradually improving game by game so far. …….but we could end up with a player who we got £45m for sat on the bench most weeks in the near future. I’m sure he will get game time, but Enzo and Caicedo are certain starters and you don’t spend £58m on Lavia without viewing him as a first team player at some point.

Gallagher can fill different roles, but I suspect by the time October arrives, we are likely going to see him kicking his heels getting the odd 20mins here and there. I just cannot see it being a long term stay past this season. 

I mean Lavia is 19. That buys a bit of time I would guess.

It seems like Gallagher has really pushed on under Poch and earned his spot in the squad. If he keeps developing, no reason why he can't stay. I would say that is the same challenge for every Cobham graduate even in this new and challenging climate. 

Edited by Max Fowler

2 hours ago, Lump Of Celery said:

Guess I was wrong about players u21 and club trained being exempt, both conditions do need to be met.

How on earth do we expect players like Les and Morreira to develop, or increase in value, playing probably only a handful of games here. 

Will be reduced to 6 players next season and after that I believe the PL will have to match the rules, so I guess that will include domestic loans too (eg Casadei and Santos). Seems like a short time to realize profits on all these youngsters we've bought, not really sure what the game plan is here.

There is most likely no game plan at all. It’s the good old scatter gun approach mixed with a sprinkle of “let’s get rid of everything that reminds us of Roman Abramovich”. 

1 minute ago, Max Fowler said:

I mean Lavia is 19. That buys a bit of time I would guess.

It seems like Gallagher has really pushed on under Poch and earned his spot in the squad. If he keeps developing, no reason why he can't stay. I would say that is the same challenge for every Cobham graduate even in this new and challenging climate. 

I just can’t see a scenario where Lavia breaks out and has his first season in the PL, probably after getting frustrated by lack of opportunities at City, to then come to Chelsea to bide his time.

Obviously, if he is being outperformed then he will have to train hard and bide his time. Surely he is coming here to start games though. The most obvious player blocking his path right now is Gallagher . 

6 minutes ago, Thiago97 said:

but Enzo and Caicedo are certain starters and you don’t spend £58m on Lavia without viewing him as a first team player at some point.

The club Spent £60 on Cucurella as season ago and he is still nowhere near or never will be a first team player. 

Gallagher has a lot more miles on the clock playing football at a higher level in the PL than Caicedio and Lavia. 

10 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

Isn't this an "every player has his price" scenario, especially when it comes to our Cobham graduates? £50 million seems a lot for Gallagher. I wonder if Spurs felt that way too and if we would be able to reject that much even if Pochettino really likes him.

He doesn't want to leave and Pochettino wants to keep him. Simple as that. He's started every game this season, played the second most amount of minutes and captained us in our last game. He's also club trained which will be important going forward. 

No way Tottenham start the bidding at £40m, we tell them it's £45m and they just walk away. The least they would do is make another bid.

12 minutes ago, Thiago97 said:

Depends… I remember a lot of people saying Lampard wouldn’t get a look in after Roman bought the club. He took it on the chin and developed into one of the finest midfielders of his generation. Gallagher has more pomtential than any of the midfielders we’ve bought imo. If he gets it right, he can become a very successful player here. Lavia has done nothing to suggest he’ll be preferred over Gallagher. Personally I think that Poch views Caicedo, Enzo and Gallagher as his starting midfielders right now. Lavia will have to prove himself, not saying he won’t, but equally not saying it’s a forgone conclusion either. 

Players develop differently. Some thrive on the pressure, others crumble. 

10 minutes ago, ROTG said:

The club Spent £60 on Cucurella as season ago and he is still nowhere near or never will be a first team player. 

Gallagher has a lot more miles on the clock playing football at a higher level in the PL than Caicedio and Lavia. 

Yes but that’s cos Cucurella form has been a struggle. That don’t mean Lavia will. 

9 minutes ago, ROTG said:

His mate has brought him to Chelsea and set him up for life with a decent salary and gave him an 8 year contract. 

It’s not relevant to the discussion. He could have gone to Liverpool for likely a similar wage and probably a 4-5 year deal. He was only ever going to be at Southampton a short amount of time , before moving on to something better. 

1 minute ago, Thiago97 said:

It’s not relevant to the discussion. He could have gone to Liverpool for likely a similar wage and probably a 4-5 year deal. He was only ever going to be at Southampton a short amount of time , before moving on to something better. 

So Joe Shields had nothing to do with him coming to Chelsea?

Just now, ROTG said:

So Joe Shields had nothing to do with him coming to Chelsea?

Of course he did. What’s not relevant to the discussion is you saying his mate has set him up for life with an 8 year deal. 
I’m talking about it being highly likely imo, that Lavia will be in for Gallagher over the next 6-8 weeks. 

7 minutes ago, Thiago97 said:

Of course he did. What’s not relevant to the discussion is you saying his mate has set him up for life with an 8 year deal. 
I’m talking about it being highly likely imo, that Lavia will be in for Gallagher over the next 6-8 weeks. 

Assuming neither get an injury, Let’s revisit after 18 PL matches to see who has started the most amount of PL games?

3 minutes ago, ROTG said:

Assuming neither get an injury, Let’s revisit after 18 PL matches to see who has started the most amount of PL games?

You kept saying we'd know more after 13th August, then the end of the season now 18 games. 

At the same time you write off players far too quickly Madueke being a prime example.

Hard to keep up with it all sometimes.

51 minutes ago, ROTG said:

I am not sure that's true with Caicedo. Gallagher has more miles playing for Palace and West Brom, but similar appearances to Caicedo at Brighton (mostly from last season). And last season Caicedo played both on an individual level and in a team levels above what Gallagher did.

40 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

You kept saying we'd know more after 13th August, then the end of the season now 18 games. 

At the same time you write off players far too quickly Madueke being a prime example.

Hard to keep up with it all sometimes.

It’s started on 13th and to date nothing special has happened unlike some of the predictions written on this forum.  So being a fair person, I am happy to let thing develop and hopefully be proved wrong.

On the other hand there could be many on this forum running for the Prozac bottle.

Edited by ROTG

20 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

I am not sure that's true with Caicedo. Gallagher has more miles playing for Palace and West Brom, but similar appearances to Caicedo at Brighton (mostly from last season). And last season Caicedo played both on an individual level and in a team levels above what Gallagher did.

True but that isn’t necessarily all Conor’s fault. We had a 🤡 manager.