Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

51 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

Fortunately I think the bin dippers may have more to worry about than us.

I'll be unhappy whichever way this goes. 

If they get over £150m for a Salah on the downslope - bullshit -investigation into commercial value needed. 

I'd they keep him -bollox. 

10 hours ago, Proud-Blue said:

Yeah I agree that we can't let Maatsen leave for free. If he is flatly refusing to sign a contract, then we have to sell him now. I suspect he would have been moved to back-up LWB/LB if Cucurella and Hall were both gone.

Lewis Hall may be a natural midfielder, but he played regularly for us at left-back last season, particularly towards the end. I don't think it's accurate to say he' "pretty much completely untried and tested in the position". Not least because his performances there were a rare positive for last season, and they were certainly better than Cucurella's. A lot of players go through their youth careers playing different roles to the ones they end up playing in the first team, so my guess is at Chelsea he probably would have been an LB and cover for midfield. The Newcastle fan thing though, I do get. 

I'm not blaming Cucurella as a person, but the club for making a decision to overpay enormously for him. We now have a player who has been a liability that we haven't been able to shift, and in the process we've blocked routes for other players. 

There does seem to be a rumour on Twitter atm that he's reluctant to leave. If that's true, he needs to commit to a new contract asap.

Maybe, but I mean you'd think even with Cucurella and Hall we'd have seen Maatsen feature at fullback in some degree during pre-season to gauge if he was actually going to be viable or not. 

This is where the hook-up is a little, some believe Hall played left-back for us last season and others (which I include myself in here) are of the opinion he played wingback. While they are quite similar positions the roles task of them do differ, and just because one can play one of the two positions doesn't necessarily mean they can play the other just as comfortably. A prime example is Marcos Alonso and the difference between what he was like between both. This is why I used the statement of being "untried and tested as a fullback" - because for me he is. Which for me is a big part of why I refuse to harp on losing Hall all too much, although as I did originally state when he moved I would have rather kept him, £35m for a midfielder that spelled in at wingback and been signed to play fullback carries ample risk.

Of course, I mean we overpaid no questions there. Granted, Cucurella was arguably the best fullback in the league prior to us signing him and had drawn Man City's interest. We also needed a capable primary option given Chilwell was still yet to fully return from a major injury and unknown lingered. Plus part of us overpaying also allowed us to retain Colwill, as Brighton were trying to secure him permanently. His wages kill us a bit, but we're in a position where a couple of bad contracts aren't going to hamper us astronomically either.  It's unfortunate he had a rough season, as did the team as a whole, but I do think there's a player there who can still be useful to us. 

Window has shut by the time I've gotten around to replying, the perils of living in an alternative timezone, but I had seen Maatsen was reluctant to leave. I can admire wanting to fight it out and am kinda glad he's staying in the end, but I do hope it comes with an agreement to extend his contract.

10 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Hall left because he could see he didn’t have a snowballs chance in hell at Chelsea. Presumably Maatsen hasn’t signed a new contract for the very same reason despite Poch clearly stating he wants him in his squad on many occasions.

As I’ve said many times, you throw away enough academy prospects over time the signal to the next crop is clear - you’ve got no future here lad.  Especially since we’ve mostly signed players ahead of them who aren’t just overpaid they are also not very good. 

We are just seeing the beginning of that trend I’m afraid. 

And you could argue Hall didn't warrant a spot ahead of anyone else in the side within the positions he plays in. He certainly isn't better than of the midfield options we've got currently in the first team squad, and he's still largely an experiment as a fullback that has all the possibilities of going pear shaped. Maatsen's lack of extension may be down to how he sees his chances but one wouldn't be put on the table to begin with if he wasn't wanted either. It's a double edged sword in ways, there's less incentive for us to play someone who won't commit their future, particularly when they've only got 12 months left on their contract. 

Being from the academy doesn't provide some divine right to a first team place either. There's so many variable factors that come into play outside of just talent or potential. We've shown that there are opportunities here, but they aren't and shouldn't be gifted out either, nor should it stop us from signing better players - be it in terms of immediate talent or of higher potential.

35 minutes ago, ROTG said:

The next victim is just around the corner eh?

Not at all. Father Gizmo. I’m all about love, peace and getting along with everyone. I can take a joke as well as give them out and I would never be nasty to anyone. It’s all in fun; I was only responding, in jest. I have massive respect for the job Mr Tucker does - and all the mods. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ham said:

I'll be unhappy whichever way this goes. 

If they get over £150m for a Salah on the downslope - bullshit -investigation into commercial value needed. 

I'd they keep him -bollox. 

They’ve already set their stall out though haven’t they.
There will be a lot more wailing about “Why would he ever want to leave the best club in the World??” bollocks over the coming days.

Swiftly followed by vilifying him, painting him as greedy for taking the money and then finally “Well this is great business for Liverpool and Klopp will have a war chest in January.” 

36 minutes ago, Sciatika said:

At this point, can I mention Malang Sarr?

I never minded him playing for us tbh - obviously not the best player we’ve had but seemed honest, got stuck in and battered people when we played Spurs. 
Can’t blame him for taking the money offered either. The Club went down that route despite knowing he was gettable for 40-50% less. Just another in a long series of players in that scenario. 

Hope he can find a club soon. 

• Agree 2